Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Does the EXP Augment accessory affect party-earned XP for everyone like the skills, or is it just for the person equipping it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Throne is really the only story that I think fundamentally doesn’t work. Osvald I quite liked. Partitio loving rules. Hikari was exactly as you’d expect but capably executed so who cares, it’s fun.

It’s never really made clear what exactly these collars stop you from doing if you can just knife your employer at any time.

Claude is out of complete loving nowhere. It’s just all very strange in a way that isn’t satisfying or coherent.

Osvald meanwhile I feel is fine. Harvey is not a complicated villain but he doesn’t need to be. He fulfills his role and Osvald gets a satisfying character resolution. He is now Wizard Batman.

On the spoiler here... A couple of NPCs in her starting City have Scrutinize/Inquire/etc entries that state that the collars are filled with poison which'll kill them if they're removed without the key(s). A little weak with the emphasis put on them but it's really more the symbolism that matters imo.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does the EXP Augment accessory affect party-earned XP for everyone like the skills, or is it just for the person equipping it?

I've had it on for a while and everyone's still about the same level so I think the former.

Mr. Hasty
Jan 12, 2004
Dick Tasty for President 2020

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Re: the final chapter up till the final boss All the Moonshade order stuff felt kind of half-assed. Oboro acts like he needs the Darkblood blade to do the sacrifices but everyone else does just fine without it. Claude was just kind of hanging out sucking and loving for a few centuries, the cult made Trousseau evil because ???, Perrichor appears exactly once in a flashback after they're already dead, and Arcanette...is a twist, I guess?

It wouldn't surprise me if the joint chapters/final chapter were originally going to be way more involved and got trimmed down substantially

From the 17 journal entries in the final chapter Each of the flames is taken out with a different Darkblood weapon and sacrifice, the First flame had the Darkblood bow that Temenos' friend tried to hide. The Azure flame had the Darkblood Grimoir that was created by Harvey's nonsense. And the Sacred flame had the Darkblood staff from somewhere.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ace Transmuter posted:

Frankly Cassti's story hooked from her prologue with her first glitch in the animus. I'm not even that far into it yet and it's probably just a weird way of presenting memories getting triggered but I'm in for it for now.

The first time I got the glitch effect, I was also using the Steam Deck for one of the first times, and I was afraid it was defective for a few moments there.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Throne final chapter spoilers continue: Great Value Dracula is really bad but not because of the "I'm an immortal vampire, but that's not important right now" line (which is so bad it's funny) but because it's just Father route again. Except this time Throne has no emotional connection to the guy so who even cares just stab him. Also he does the emotional attack thing where she has to "kill" Perogi and Stab Dad... but also Mother that she was totes fine with killing the first time and is surely fine with doing it again. Like as a mechanic I guess you have to have all three but given the rest it was like even in-battle the guy has no real connection so he's just throwing things out there hoping for a hit

Only Hikari route left and game is still really good

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did they ditch locked chests in this game? I did a big sweep with my full party to get all the secondary jobs + inventor unlocked and haven't encountered one yet. It'll certainly make dungeon crawling a Lot easier if so.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zaggitz posted:

Did they ditch locked chests in this game? I did a big sweep with my full party to get all the secondary jobs + inventor unlocked and haven't encountered one yet. It'll certainly make dungeon crawling a Lot easier if so.

Yes.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hey is there a good list of late/end game optional bosses and dungeons? I've done a few, and I'm going to save the superboss til later if I do it I'm not sure I really want to face Galdera again but I want to make sure ive done everything else before I go into the final story. The list of bosses I found ended up being incomplete and I almost missed a few things

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Finally back to playing this. gently caress ADHD. Casti somehow has an incredibly generic start that I love nonetheless. Also I love that another character says to the selfless healer, “Yo, I think you should concern yourself with yourself here, cause you got problems.” Lol it’s such good poo poo.

For those of you that beat it, what was your general path through the game? I have all four from one side, Temenos, Throne etc. So I could start doing chapter 2 stuff with them. I know no matter what I do people are gonna get overleveled but trip reports would be welcome. Getting decision paralysis rn. Main four are all around 15-ish atm.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I basically just ping-ponged all over the place after I got my full party and did whatever the lowest-level path available was, with a priority on my main (Hikari)

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I need a plan

I kinda messed up and over leveled half the characters and under leveled the other half, went to the final chapter and got toasted and roasted. So I reloaded an older save and did all the side quests I missed (except one, you know what one). So I'm pretty much ready for round 2 only I'm trying to figure out the best builds/setup for everyone so I can massacre and have my revenge. I really didn't experiment with subjobs too much so I dunno what the most overpowered combos are, I got all the extra jobs, inventions, and divine weapons though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Make your B-team all/mostly merchants, spend all your money on ninja attacks

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

BurningBeard posted:

Finally back to playing this. gently caress ADHD. Casti somehow has an incredibly generic start that I love nonetheless. Also I love that another character says to the selfless healer, “Yo, I think you should concern yourself with yourself here, cause you got problems.” Lol it’s such good poo poo.

For those of you that beat it, what was your general path through the game? I have all four from one side, Temenos, Throne etc. So I could start doing chapter 2 stuff with them. I know no matter what I do people are gonna get overleveled but trip reports would be welcome. Getting decision paralysis rn. Main four are all around 15-ish atm.

You should collect all eight party members and the associated guilds for their jobs, but beyond that it's up to you. The general consensus seems to be building a party of four you like, completing their stories, then going back and completing the other four. With your second party you can decide how much you want to use high-level equipment to just roll throught the stories if you've already explored most of the game world. Trying to level all eight at once will require you to sit around and fight more to keep everyone leveled, or be very purposeful in who you use.

You don't have to do an east party or west party but those characters do sync well together. East is more like a typical jrpg party, whereas west is more about buffing Hikari with the three other characters to crank out absurd damage.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 15, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regalingualius posted:

I basically just ping-ponged all over the place after I got my full party and did whatever the lowest-level path available was, with a priority on my main (Hikari) (Castti)

Same

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I started with Hikari, got everyone on the left then everyone on the right finishing with Osvald. After that I went on a full path action sweep of the tier 1 towns, reached the tier 2 towns and picked up all the secondary jobs + EX skills + Inventor before another path action sweep.

Now im going through all the optional dungeons under level 30 before I marathon through chapter 2s.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I started Partitio, grabbed all the characters, then got my son to pick his three favourite stories (Ochette, Castii, and Agnea). When he's able to watch I'll use his party, when I'm playing solo I'm rolling with Partitio/Osvald/Throne/Hikari. Temenos gets to be Switzerland and completed once everyone else is done I guess

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I basically just ping-ponged all over the place after I got my full party and did whatever the lowest-level path available was, with a priority on my main (Hikari)

This is basically what I did and I had a great time, though I didn’t put any special story priority on my main (also Hikari). I just did the chapters in the order that felt right while shuffling around party members regularly.

I don’t really like the “do four stories then the other four” approach for myself, I much prefer to use all eight and shuffle them around. It did result in Hikari becoming really overleveled but I just had him play support as an Apothecary, Cleric, Merchant, or Dancer as needed so he wouldn’t solo every boss until the late game when I started to need his damage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

This is basically what I did and I had a great time, though I didn’t put any special story priority on my main (also Hikari). I just did the chapters in the order that felt right while shuffling around party members regularly.

I don’t really like the “do four stories then the other four” approach for myself, I much prefer to use all eight and shuffle them around. It did result in Hikari becoming really overleveled but I just had him play support as an Apothecary, Cleric, Merchant, or Dancer as needed so he wouldn’t solo every boss until the late game when I started to need his damage.

I just cycle two of them and keep Osvald in the other non-main spot as a Scholar/Cleric. Keeps him highly-leveled for bullying through stuff with spell damage, and keeps the others alive if they're a little underleveled.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
One cute little detail related to recruit order I noticed (epilogue spoilers) : The game keeps track of the exact order you recruit everyone, and they all say goodbye in the reverse order at the campfire. It's nice seeing the characters your main got to know first stick around the longest!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ok I’m just winging it at this point. Got five out of the eight, but gf and I are playing together and she’s anxious for some story so we’re gonna start knocking out some chapter 2s. Any good beasties to grab with Ochette early on? Everyone’s mid teens just now. Ochette, Ozzy, Temenos, and Throne.

Also for the base job shrines, I take it you gotta take the person who is the holder of that job to unlock it to add to other characters?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Also for the base job shrines, I take it you gotta take the person who is the holder of that job to unlock it to add to other characters?

The base job shrines are actually for unlocking skills for the character. For example, bringing Osvald to the Scholarking shrine gets Osvald a new skill.

Instead, you're looking for guilds, which appear as shields with a checkerboard pattern on the map. Usually they're close to the shrines, often either in the same zone or in the nearest town.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

The base job shrines are actually for unlocking skills for the character. For example, bringing Osvald to the Scholarking shrine gets Osvald a new skill.

Instead, you're looking for guilds, which appear as shields with a checkerboard pattern on the map. Usually they're close to the shrines, often either in the same zone or in the nearest town.

Ah cool thanks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there any important perma-missable content in this? tales of vesperia still has me twitchy after fifteen years

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nope, not even slightly.

They even stepped up from 1 and added a feature to the journal where you can see party banter you missed; it's quite considerate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished all the character stories! My favorite stories overall were probably Castti's and Partitio's, but I liked all of them a lot.

I know a lot of people have ragged on Agnea's story for being really low-stakes and not having much to do with the others, but it's also the story that made me tear up twice, so I must conclude it's actually really good.

Honestly I didn't even mind Throné's last chapter. I wouldn't even say it was "dumb" so much as bizarre and the creepiness of Lostseed sold it I thought. I'm hoping the endgame expands a bit on why this random dude was immortal, though.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I got a new Samsung phone not too long ago and the two note "doo-doot" it makes when I plug it into the charger are the first two notes of Agnea's Theme I swear it

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

I know a lot of people have ragged on Agnea's story for being really low-stakes and not having much to do with the others, but it's also the story that made me tear up twice, so I must conclude it's actually really good.

Agnea's is my least favourite not just because it doesn't really go anywhere but also because Agnea going to a sad town that's more or less oppressed by soldiers and telling everyone 'hey guys how about being happy? watch me dance!' is hilariously tonedeaf. Also the travelling troupe just irritated me on a primal level for reasons I cannot articulate.

But 'Dolcinealand?!' is so hilariously out of left field it almost redeemed it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love these three-person travel banters. They do a really good job of selling that these people have become close friends and they're all pretty fun.

I enjoyed Hikari winning a game of poker against Temenos and Throné by singing a song that made them cry

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

One cute little detail related to recruit order I noticed (epilogue spoilers) : The game keeps track of the exact order you recruit everyone, and they all say goodbye in the reverse order at the campfire. It's nice seeing the characters your main got to know first stick around the longest!

Plus: the game runs through important events and boss fights in the order you did them as a background for the credits roll, and it even has the participating party wearing their correct secondary job outfits at the time of the fight!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would like to be spoiled on the locations of all the guilds, please.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I would like to be spoiled on the locations of all the guilds, please.

The wiki has them all: https://octopathtraveler.fandom.com/wiki/Jobs_(Octopath_Traveler_II)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I beat Throne's chapter.

I was mildly spoiled on Claude existing but not the full context and, uh, yeah that sure was a whole scheme of his I guess? :confused:

Disguise is obscene though, goddamn :stonklol:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I know everyone talks about Armsmaster Hikari but I honestly decided to give the class to Agnea and it is.. weirdly working out very well?

A lot of fights have adds involved or they change up weaknesses, so her latent skill + sixfold strike ends up being really drat useful. Plus she can take advantage of the high elemental attack from staves with her wind dancer skills. I just need to grind her a bit on Warrior to unlock break damage and she honestly might start putting out as much damage in single blows as my Hikari

Sorry Hikari, I guess you’re going to be wearing those dog ears forever

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MechaX posted:

I know everyone talks about Armsmaster Hikari but I honestly decided to give the class to Agnea and it is.. weirdly working out very well?

A lot of fights have adds involved or they change up weaknesses, so her latent skill + sixfold strike ends up being really drat useful. Plus she can take advantage of the high elemental attack from staves with her wind dancer skills. I just need to grind her a bit on Warrior to unlock break damage and she honestly might start putting out as much damage in single blows as my Hikari

Recently I accidentally unlocked armsmaster because the city I was rushing to was, according to Oswald's story, supposed to be the graveyard of an important mage. And I of course took this to mean, "Score, that's where one of the hidden magic classes must be!"

Welp, turns out armsmaster is far too limited for my taste. For those who want to know:

Armsmaster-abilities only work if you are wearing the relics you need to unlock them in the first place. So you can really only use this class if you're willing to forego all other equipment options for them. Also Hikari looks kind of silly in this get-up.

Well, since Hikaris is part of my B-team anyway, and since he already got all the important stuff by soaking up apothecary and hunter. And merchant, because :lol: for a while at least one of my party was carrying an item to attract Caiths and that blasted my everything through the roof.

Protip: If you combine Exp+, Money+ and Cait-items/abilities on the same party, be prepared for grinding just being cancelled. :allears:

Anyway, on my latest attempt to sink all those tons of ability points I've collected, I found out Ochette's apothecary costume makes her look like a magical girl. Very cute! But after getting all the skills I've decided Warrior-Ochette is a better fit.

Since their helper abilities are so useful, I have by now taught half the party to be back-up apothecaries and I rock multiple clerics and scholars. I still have thousands and thousands of points left, even after finally buying up more merchant-licenses to spread their abilities faster. I seriously hope the two hidden magic jobs use some of those points, Ochette alone still has 15k points left!

Fake edit:

I've sunk 61+ hours into the game so far, and the only thing I could complain about is that eventually, I will have finished the game and then I'll have to wait for Octopath III. That really sucks!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Holy poo poo Partitio is simultaneously incredibly corny and awesome. And that tune at the end of his chapter one omg

I think I like the gloomy crew better than the upbeat one, overall. Too early to make any definitive conclusions but I'm hoping they get rounded off a bit. There's some serious tonal whiplash in this game. Not a complaint as such I like the variance.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 17, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Libluini posted:

Recently I accidentally unlocked armsmaster because the city I was rushing to was, according to Oswald's story, supposed to be the graveyard of an important mage. And I of course took this to mean, "Score, that's where one of the hidden magic classes must be!"

Since their helper abilities are so useful, I have by now taught half the party to be back-up apothecaries and I rock multiple clerics and scholars. I still have thousands and thousands of points left, even after finally buying up more merchant-licenses to spread their abilities faster. I seriously hope the two hidden magic jobs use some of those points, Ochette alone still has 15k points left!

Kinda spoilers, I guess? They use 2k JP for each normal ability.

MechaX posted:

Honestly Armsmaster Hikari is a trap, like yeah he makes decent use of it, but he never really needs it considering he's got like five extra abilities to use. It's like Sorcerer Cyrus in OT1 where yes, he's good at it, but the power jump is not nearly as high as just giving the job to someone else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MechaX posted:

The cool thing about Armsmaster is that its power mostly comes from Armsmaster itself. You can put it on anyone and as long as you equip them right, they'll kick a lot of rear end. Agnea does great for the reason you point out. Temenos can do well too because Sixfold Strike + his latent just deletes six shield points no matter what, though he can also do something like it with Scholar and Elemental Barrage. And Osvald can use it just to boost elemental damage with all those different weapon slots. It's pretty versatile.

As others have pointed out before, Hikari really doesn't need Armsmaster. Most of his power is from his learned skills, and his best learned skills either use sword (which he can already use), staff (we'll get to that), or aren't really about doing a lot of damage so he doesn't need a specific weapon type.

As for staff, HIkari wants staff access once you hit the late game so he can wield the Giant's Club, a staff that boosts physical skill damage. So as long as Hikari's in a job that lets him wield a staff, he's good to go, that's literally all he needs from a secondary job. I went with Cleric because he looks cool and its support abilities can be nice in a pinch, but any of the staff jobs work.

Libluini posted:

Welp, turns out armsmaster is far too limited for my taste. For those who want to know:

Armsmaster's ability to equip every weapon type can be valuable all on its own, even if you don't want to use its skills. For example, with Armsmaster, Osvald can equip three weapons that boost fire, ice, or lightning damage, and that all stacks. He can do more damage with equipment-boosted elemental spells than he can even with his endgame ultimate ability if he has all the boosting weapons on.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 17, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The other elemental option for Armsmaster is Castti who can use it for a Concoct damage build (her offensive mixes are elemental).

Agnea is the other option, but she doesn't need Armsmaster for it since the +wind weapons (for Windy Refrain) are dagger, polearm and bow. She always has daggers and can get the other two by using Merchant as a subjob.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hikari doesn't need armsmaster but for the superboss it's pretty helpful at obliterating all the adds in one go because of the spear skill that increases damage based on total enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My early game move right now(almost done all the ch 2s) is Partitio with inventor and the skill that maxes his LP at the start of a fight. Find a common weakness and unleash a fully boosted catapult to match it for quick one turn fights that cost no sp.