Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its too hot outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
also barging in to lay down the law in a thread you don't read while breathlessly posting in the feedback thread about it may not be brigading but is is a party foul lol

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
[Pausing thoughtfully] [Furrowing brow] [Thinking really hard] [Another pause] it really do be like that sometimes

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Wakko posted:

staring at the bottom of the canyon as the car approaches terminal velocity, loudly insisting that we can't know what's going to happen, it's all extrapolation!!

time-to-contact metaphors: when you definitely understand what inference is

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Do you all really think anyone concerned about overpopulation doesn't know that the first world outconsumes the developing world by a large margin? What is life like on your planet

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Wakko posted:

also barging in to lay down the law in a thread you don't read while breathlessly posting in the feedback thread about it may not be brigading but is is a party foul lol

Yeah this forum is hosed

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
this thread is the one I read to cheer up because it will all be over soon.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Something that's good to remember is that a lot of online leftists, especially here and on twitter, came to leftism pretty much by accident, in a similar process to how a boomer becomes a fascist. They aren't any more intelligent than your average soccermom Trump lover and just lucked into the generally correct political ideology and if you actually probe them at all they reveal how stupid and ineloquent they really are. This is how "there's too many people and it's driving overconsumption generally and crowding out nature, etc" becomes "Oh so you want to genocide the third world huh? Wow, racist much methinks???" It's not supernatural

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

yea its also pretty neatly explainable in one word: projection

no one said these things, but *i'm* immediately thinking of them, so they must be to

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

MightyBigMinus posted:

when people say or imply that a reduced population would be less stress on the environment, a patently obvious thing, you have two options for how to interpret and react to that.

a.) you can assume they mean the well studied and publicized and agreed upon correlations between food/clothing/shelter/medicine/education and reduced family size, a policy and narrative that perfectly fits the global leftist vibe of cspam

ORRRRRRRR

b.) you invent a vibe and narrative in your head, read it between the lines of everything you see, and start grandstanding and moralizing about how you're against the bad posters that you seem to be conversing with on some other page cuz we can't see it in the thread.

if you do the former you just kinda shrug off how depressingly solvable it all is and close the tab

if you do the latter you get to be the center of attention for several days while loudly showing off how much better a person you are!

I legit don't get how you can deny that less humans would objectively be better for the rest of the planet :shrug:

e] Recognising that as true is not the same as advocating for it, for gently caress's sake.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

MightyBigMinus posted:

yea its also pretty neatly explainable in one word: projection

no one said these things, but *i'm* immediately thinking of them, so they must be to

They're aware of this deficiency on some level and it makes them extremely shrill and confrontational, because that usually shuts down debate one way or the other and they can retreat back to their comfy little nothingness

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Car Hater posted:

Humans = Biosphere collapse idk what else to tell ya

If the goal is biosphere not collapsing the humans gotta go, can't have your cake and eat it too, the grain farming is too intense

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
It doesn't help that there's always a thread here filled with mostly rejects who think they're too cool for school and poo poo out 2007-era insults against anyone who gives a gently caress or has read a book

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

in addition to being bad faith trolls, everyone who pushes back on me is also a fake leftist

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

extremely same
e: literally can't tell if my monitor is off or on who knows how much power it's wasting

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Apr 13, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

we're hosed..: read the science

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

4d3d3d posted:

It doesn't help that there's always a thread here filled with mostly rejects who think they're too cool for school and poo poo out 2007-era insults against anyone who gives a gently caress or has read a book

but enough about the Biosphere Collapse thread!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

we're hosed..: read the science

hjoly poo poo

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Zodium posted:

in addition to being bad faith trolls, everyone who pushes back on me is also a fake leftist
Calm down, it wasn't directed at you only

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

For anyone frustrated by this debate, I assure you - just do what I did.

Wait 10-15 years.

You wouldn't believe just how much the tone shifts in terms of discourse.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

this tiled should be the cspam background

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

scientists: we call it Anthropomorphic Climate Change because we're trying to convince you its man-made

libs shouting at the facist voice in their own head: YOU CANT SAY PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

If the goal is biosphere not collapsing the humans gotta go, can't have your cake and eat it too, the grain farming is too intense

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

4d3d3d posted:

are there any books on climate change, the biosphere, or related topics you've read recently and liked? this thread can always use more books to read.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

MightyBigMinus posted:

scientists: we call it Anthropomorphic Climate Change because we're trying to convince you its man-made

libs shouting at the facist voice in their own head: YOU CANT SAY PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM

There's even a word for this geological era: the Anthropocene

But keep telling us how that's antihumanist and we're atheist reddits for daring to care about reality

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i don't see the other forms of life building the world's largest CCS plant in iceland.

checkmate dweebs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stupid trees can't even keep themselves from burning down, but oh yeah we're supposed to trust them to rebuild natural carbon sinks in an increasingly hot world...all by themselves? yeah right.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Trabisnikof posted:

are there any books on climate change, the biosphere, or related topics you've read recently and liked? this thread can always use more books to read.
The End of Ice by Dahr Jamail
The Value of a Whale by Adrienne Buller
Six Degrees by Mark Lynas
The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen
The Golden Spruce by John Vaillant
Facing the Anthropocene by Ian Angus

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

abloo abloo im a fish thats melting in the increasing acidic oceans, but i have too much toxic masculinity to admit that i need help with geoengineering from those soft apes

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

no i'm not depressed, it's just like i'm the only one who sees reality as it is

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I'd particularly recommend The Value of a Whale because it also puts to rest the lie that green capitalism can save us or is interested in doing so

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

4d3d3d posted:

The End of Ice by Dahr Jamail
The Value of a Whale by Adrienne Buller
Six Degrees by Mark Lynas
The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen
The Golden Spruce by John Vaillant
Facing the Anthropocene by Ian Angus

thanks! i think ive heard good things about the value of a whale

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Zodium posted:

no i'm not depressed, it's just like i'm the only one who sees reality as it is

Nails on a chalkboard man, please stop

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

254 posts what happened

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

are we dead? am i dead right now

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

4d3d3d posted:

lawn paint
lol i'm dead

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Fick me, It's only april. Every year the cringe seeps in here a bit earlier than expected, I tell you.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

4d3d3d posted:

I'd particularly recommend The Value of a Whale because it also puts to rest the lie that green capitalism can save us or is interested in doing so

got absolutely massive biosphere related lmaos when the german greens pushed opening more coal plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

We are all April fools on this blessed day.