Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah have you considered simply having a spare 10 grand to drop on new windows

(But seriously if you own, and the issue isn't easily solved by draft stopping, new windows are a great idea if you can afford)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is the idea behind double-paned windows as well. Expensive but would probably pay off in the long run if you live in Minnesota or the Canadian wasteland North of there.

they also help in hot places, like Texas and Florida.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Do any US jurisdictions offer grants/rebates/tax breaks for window upgrades? It's a thing in Canada for sure, check it out if you've got old windows.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a New Zealand travel thread here? I checked the Travel section and I see one for Australia and not sure if I should post there or if there's one hidden somewhere.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

Mute your pc on a schedule

I'd also bypass any youtube weirdness by downloading whatever videos (or just the audio of them) you want to reuse and playing them locally.

Gave this a go, it's super buggy. Lots of wonky behaviour and it didn't actually work in the end, for whatever reason.

Finally had success using Windows Task Scheduler and a program that lets you mute and unmute the whole system. It worked with zero issues. But now, get this: Youtube is being difficult. I came home today and the playlist had paused itself and was asking if I was still watching.

How the hell do I bypass that. It's like one thing gets solved and another problem comes up. I really like Youtube because I have a big playlist that has classical, calm guitar, indie music. So it's got a good choice of random stuff, not just the same music on repeat ad nauseam. I was thinking of using an online radio but it'd just be one genre and some songs are a bit too aggressive and spook the birds, so I hand pick the calm playlists on Youtube as it's chill.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Qubee posted:

But now, get this: Youtube is being difficult. I came home today and the playlist had paused itself and was asking if I was still watching.

YouTube NonStop: Chrome; Firefox.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I bought and now have a really cool heretical rosary. I'm thinking of wearing it as a necklace, but now I'm wondering... assuming no one actually looks at the upside down cross, would it be kosher to wear it? What are the rules for wearing rosaries? (raised methodist, currently agnostic or athiest, never held a rosary before in my life) I'm in America.

spoilered for naked tits and also HERESY

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bought and now have a really cool heretical rosary. I'm thinking of wearing it as a necklace, but now I'm wondering... assuming no one actually looks at the upside down cross, would it be kosher to wear it? What are the rules for wearing rosaries? (raised methodist, currently agnostic or athiest, never held a rosary before in my life) I'm in America.

Catholics don’t keep kosher, it’s fine

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Catholics generally frown on wearing rosaries as jewelry - they're meant to be used as an aid/reminder to pray - but it's very much not a big deal, I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone noticed or cared. Some Catholics do wear them, but the normal expectation there would be that it's worn for personal reasons (i.e. it's around my neck so I think of it regularly) and not fashion.

(I was raised Catholic, my mom still is, I'm agnostic/atheist)

edit: also, if anyone gives you poo poo, you could pedantically argue it's not a rosary at all - "the rosary" is really the set of prayers and then the corresponding physical object, if the object isn't used for that it's just a string of beads.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 13, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

What a cool piece, op

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Inverted crosses aren't even heretical, really. There are dead popes with them on their tombs.

But getting titties anywhere near Jesus, now that's a sin alright.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Trapick posted:

Catholics generally frown on wearing rosaries as jewelry - they're meant to be used as an aid/reminder to pray - but it's very much not a big deal, I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone noticed or cared. Some Catholics do wear them, but the normal expectation there would be that it's worn for personal reasons (i.e. it's around my neck so I think of it regularly) and not fashion.

(I was raised Catholic, my mom still is, I'm agnostic/atheist)

edit: also, if anyone gives you poo poo, you could pedantically argue it's not a rosary at all - "the rosary" is really the set of prayers and then the corresponding physical object, if the object isn't used for that it's just a string of beads.

Informative, thank you!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Inverted crosses aren't even heretical, really. There are dead popes with them on their tombs.

For anyone who doesn't know:

Wikipedia posted:

The Cross of Saint Peter also known as Petrine Cross is an inverted Latin cross traditionally used as a Christian symbol, but in recent times also used as an anti-Christian and Satanic symbol. In Christianity, it is associated with the martyrdom of Peter the Apostle. The symbol originates from the Catholic tradition that when sentenced to death, Peter requested that his cross be upside down, as he felt unworthy of being crucified in the same manner as Jesus. The Petrine Cross is also associated with the papacy, reflecting the Catholic belief that the pope is the successor of Peter as bishop of Rome.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Qubee posted:

Gave this a go, it's super buggy. Lots of wonky behaviour and it didn't actually work in the end, for whatever reason.

Finally had success using Windows Task Scheduler and a program that lets you mute and unmute the whole system. It worked with zero issues. But now, get this: Youtube is being difficult. I came home today and the playlist had paused itself and was asking if I was still watching.

How the hell do I bypass that. It's like one thing gets solved and another problem comes up. I really like Youtube because I have a big playlist that has classical, calm guitar, indie music. So it's got a good choice of random stuff, not just the same music on repeat ad nauseam. I was thinking of using an online radio but it'd just be one genre and some songs are a bit too aggressive and spook the birds, so I hand pick the calm playlists on Youtube as it's chill.

If you don't want to go the addon route mentioned you can download the videos using any of the multitude of sites that do this and just play them in VLC or whatever. This also solves any problems that might pop up if the net goes out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Inceltown posted:

If you don't want to go the addon route mentioned you can download the videos using any of the multitude of sites that do this and just play them in VLC or whatever. This also solves any problems that might pop up if the net goes out.

I think this is the way forward. Any recommendations on playback software that lets me queue them all up and then have them on shuffle? Basically imitating Youtube's playlist functionality but offline.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Qubee posted:

I think this is the way forward. Any recommendations on playback software that lets me queue them all up and then have them on shuffle? Basically imitating Youtube's playlist functionality but offline.

VLC, is the default because it is simple and works for most things.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

VLC, is the default because it is simple and works for most things.

I love VLC and it's the only thing I use to watch movies on the PC but drat does the queue / loop functionality suck rear end. Or at least it has every time I've tried to use it. It never lets me loop videos.

Edit: I just tried it and it worked, I'm a moron. Thanks for all the help, everyone can sleep soundly at night knowing they brought music and joy to the life of two tiny little (rear end in a top hat) birds, one of which bit my ear twice whilst typing this.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That rosary is dope as gently caress. I have an inverted cross necklace that I would like to wear more often, I'm just not used to wearing any jewellery at all and it's a little on the large side. But I would very much like to imitate my Italian uncles' style with the black dress pants and shoes and white tank top and cross necklace, only the cross is upside-down because gently caress the Catholic Church.

A Question: Does heartburn get worse as you age? I'm 35 now and when I get it, it hurts pretty bad. I want to keep a supply of TUMS around but I'm deathly afraid of getting kidney stones.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Qubee posted:

I love VLC and it's the only thing I use to watch movies on the PC but drat does the queue / loop functionality suck rear end. Or at least it has every time I've tried to use it. It never lets me loop videos.

Edit: I just tried it and it worked, I'm a moron. Thanks for all the help, everyone can sleep soundly at night knowing they brought music and joy to the life of two tiny little (rear end in a top hat) birds, one of which bit my ear twice whilst typing this.

I also sometimes use smplayer, which is more confusing to use then vlc and has less functions. But it has different playlist modes, that I sometimes prefer.
For my music I actually use mpd, but that one is really too annoying to setup.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Starting to get heartburn is a classic hallmark of the 30s, yes

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yah I'm in the same boat on heartburn, never used to be a thing I got, in 30s all of a sudden "ow, what the gently caress is that". Same with wife and other folks I know.

For downloading youtube videos - I've found https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp to be really good, it might look intimidating because it's a command line tool, but it's super easy for default use. Like 'yt-dlp $yt_playlist_url' will just work perfectly.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

That rosary is dope as gently caress. I have an inverted cross necklace that I would like to wear more often, I'm just not used to wearing any jewellery at all and it's a little on the large side. But I would very much like to imitate my Italian uncles' style with the black dress pants and shoes and white tank top and cross necklace, only the cross is upside-down because gently caress the Catholic Church.

A Question: Does heartburn get worse as you age? I'm 35 now and when I get it, it hurts pretty bad. I want to keep a supply of TUMS around but I'm deathly afraid of getting kidney stones.

I've had heartburn my whole life but only started treating it within the past couple years because I thought everyone's chest hurt all the time and that's just normal.

PPIs are the poo poo

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Stacher program I linked to above is a gui for yt-dlp.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

How many COVIDs have you gotten so far? Acid reflux is a fairly common long covid symptom.

I have had heartburn like my whole life and having covid once has definitely exacerbated it. I’m also 35 now but I don’t think going from 33 to 34 changed my body as much as a novel zoonotic thrombotic fever.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mister Speaker posted:

it gets worse as you fatten. i never had it growing up, but started getting it after i put on some weight. i lost those 30 pounds and i'm back to never having heartburn

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Speaker posted:

I use Pepcid for baseline suppression and supplement with tums and/or pepto as needed. Pepcid is safe to use continuously, unlike Prilosec

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Aging definitely does it too though. I haven't gained weight but I started getting it at about 32 and thought something was terribly wrong, and my doctor was like "yeah this is pretty classic for people in their 30s"

Diet, drinking less coffee and alcohol, and PPIs can help. Talk to your doctor (if possible) about PPIs before you start using them with any real regularity.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

tuyop posted:

How many COVIDs have you gotten so far? Acid reflux is a fairly common long covid symptom.

Is it? That's fascinating. I've had COVID at least twice; one time after an exposure I tested positive but had zero symptoms, the other took five rapid tests to pop positive but I felt it coming on and then it was one day of feeling like absolute death, then gone. I definitely had/have some other post-symptoms, namely whatever depression/anxiety I already had was turbocharged.

butt dickus posted:

it gets worse as you fatten. i never had it growing up, but started getting it after i put on some weight. i lost those 30 pounds and i'm back to never having heartburn

:( This makes sense too. I did get all Orson Welles last year. Currently working it off.

Thanks folks!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mister Speaker posted:

Absolutely. If it’s a very regular occurrence (couple times a week) talk to your doctor about a PPI (proton pump inhibitor). Omeprazole is cheap and works great. If it’s only occasional (after you eat a particularly greasy/acidic meal) Pepcid/famotidine is fantastic. Pop one an hour before your goony gorging on pizza and beer and you’ll be good to go. PPIs and famotidine both actually stop your stomach from making so much acid. You take a PPI daily, not as needed, whereas Pepcid you take as needed.

Calcium carbonate like tums or Rolaids neutralise the acid in your stomach. They work fast but aren’t great because they tend to cause acid rebound where your stomach produces more acid to counteract the reduced acidity caused by the Tums. Some of the chewable pepcid versions have calcium carbonate for immediate relief and then famotidine to slow acid production and prevent rebound acid.

The other usual advice is to lose weight, drink less, avoid foods that trigger it. None of that is fun so I take pills for it. Other things that were surprisingly helpful before I started taking pills-elevate the head of your bed 2” or so, don’t lie down right after you eat or eat too close to bedtime. It took me a while to figure out that hoppy beer was actually one of the biggest triggers for my acid reflux, so pay attention to more than just the normal things like food and tomato sauce.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks, that's super helpful and informative. I've actually been thinking about elevating the head of my bed for a while now; one of the (sometimes quack-ish and other times on-point) fitness & diet coaches I follow insists it's really good for your health. Also, I had an ulcer once in highschool and my GP recommended raising the head of my bed to alleviate pain, and it worked.

I definitely need to cut back on my IPA intake, but they're so delicious and every time I try to drink liquor instead in the interest of fewer calories I end up finishing my drink too early and not knowing what to do with my hands.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 13, 2023

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
If you like it, wear it. Simple as that.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Leave posted:

Eh, if you're not familiar with the meaning/taboos/cultural baggage around stuff, it's a good idea to ask and understand before you jump in. Like if you want to fly the Confederate flag because you think it's pretty you can, but you should understand that will send certain signals you may not want to send.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Leave posted:

not really. if you walked around wearing a phylactery as some sort of fashion thing i think most jews would not look kindly on that, for example, and it would seem almost like mockery. i dont know that a rosary carries the same degree of importance to catholics but imo wearing someone else's religious items just for fun crosses some lines and isnt generally a good idea.

also if you are wearing or carrying a symbol associated with certain religion and you aren't a member of that religion, it seems kind of dishonest, like misrepresenting who you are. if i see someone wearing a star of david im going to assume they are jewish - at least culturally if not religiously, and if i found out someone was not jewish and was wearing it just because they "liked the way it looked", or worse because of some political bullshit, i'd probably trust that person a bit less.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 13, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Trapick posted:

Eh, if you're not familiar with the meaning/taboos/cultural baggage around stuff, it's a good idea to ask and understand before you jump in. Like if you want to fly the Confederate flag because you think it's pretty you can, but you should understand that will send certain signals you may not want to send.

Yeah basically -- and also honestly it doesn't hurt to drop a question in here. I've learned some neat stuff (like the Petrine Cross!) and now I'm more informed if I choose to wear my rosary as a necklace.

(Which I'm leaning towards not wearing, speaking of. At least not outside.)

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
If you care about respecting Catholicism you probably shouldn't wear a satanic parody of their jewelry, but respecting Catholicism isn't really that important to most people in the world right now.

Satanists specifically have no problems with people appropriating their symbols and stuff, appreciation for that kind of thing is specifically what they're all about.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I would say it’s less about pissing off the religion or clergy, and more about potentially offending some coworker or in-law or whoever that was Catholic or even another denomination and you didn’t realize it.

Of course, there are some countries/cities where that’s statistically super unlikely to occur, so ymmv. Depends if worth the risk?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly it's less that I care about disrespecting any specific religion, and more about randomly accidentally offending a neighbor. I don't really respect many (any?) organized religions, but people? People I live near? Yeah I don't want them mad.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Do we have a thread anywhere to ask about gamer chairs? I did a search intitle: but didn't find anything.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Gamer chairs are basically just office chairs that try to charge 3x as much for different branding/marketing.
If you want to stay comfortable sitting at your computer desk you really just wanna get a regular mid-budget office chair.
Hell if you visit a nearby office supply store you can even try them out in person to see what's most comfortable to you instead of having to order one online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Do we have a thread anywhere to ask about gamer chairs? I did a search intitle: but didn't find anything.

Computer chairs: the backbone of a good sit up.

Office chairs fall into the "don't cheap out on stuff that separates you from the ground" category. Here are some Wirecutter picks and note that their "budget" pick is $400.

I had a friend talk me into a Steelcase Gesture when I started working from home and I'm glad they did. It doesn't feel like you're floating on a cloud or anything but once you get it dialed in (read up on ergonomic adjustments) then one hour of sitting and 9 hours of sitting feel about the same. You're not trying to maximize comfort so much as delay discomfort.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 14, 2023