Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
yeah like i actually dont think there should be any kind of reckoning? taking drugs is a choice consenting adults should be able to make. I dont think that we need to worry about whether a feature was written using performance-enhancing drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

taking away my hackerrank cheevos cause i was high

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

yeah like i actually dont think there should be any kind of reckoning? taking drugs is a choice consenting adults should be able to make. I dont think that we need to worry about whether a feature was written using performance-enhancing drugs.

this explains why rotor doesn't want anyone seeing his code

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

counterpoint: having tweaked out co-workers frequently creates a hostile, abusive work environment

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

counterpoint: having tweaked out co-workers frequently creates a hostile, abusive work environment

penalize the crime, not the things that might lead to crime.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

like i mean you're not wrong, but hopefully u see what i'm sayin too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

like i mean you're not wrong, but hopefully u see what i'm sayin too
yeah the root cause is not drugs, it's tolerating rear end in a top hat behavior in the workplace in the first place

thing is I know some young dudes who literally can't work without stimulants since they've used them every time they had to be productive since they were 16 and, being older than them, I know folks who did that 20 years ago who did not have good outcomes

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

assholes are just assholes legal meth didn’t make them that way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i literally can't work without stimulants but that's because i have brain problems and before i had stimulants i was basically incapable of being productive and it ruined my life

maybe they're just self-medicating, cuz i sure as hell used to do that all the time without realizing it before my psychologist pointed out there was actually something wrong with me, idk

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

gonna go out on a limb and guess that there was some further dirt they were involved in [probably drugs]

hopefully bitcoin because that would be funnier

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

taking away my hackerrank cheevos cause i was high

I will be the bud selig of hacker rank. We’re going to wash this filth off the streets and out of the record books.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I need adderall in order to not be bad at life and im really mad i cant get my loving meds without calling six different places

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i got some brain drugs recently and it made things kinda marginally maybe better and then i forgot my pills at home when i was away for a weekend so i did a double dose for a few days the next week to make up for it and i'm gonna ask my doctor for a large prescription because the larger dose actually did something for me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh cool as long as people consent to it im glad there's no externalities for companies settint requirements so high that people take drugs to meet them

it's ok set labor standards even when people would agree to work the hosed up jobs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

oh cool as long as people consent to it im glad there's no externalities for companies settint requirements so high that people take drugs to meet them

it's ok set labor standards even when people would agree to work the hosed up jobs

sure, set those standards, absolutely.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just dont set them in a way that means people cant get the help they need is all im sayin

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

just dont set them in a way that means people cant get the help they need is all im sayin

agreedo

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

almost like there's a difference between "being blasted on performance enhancing drugs to make your quota or recreationally or whatever" and "taking brain drugs for the brain problems that have ruined your life" but the way the american medical system works and the prejudices prescribers usually have means that the people whose lives are most ruined by their brain problems have the least access to the drugs that might fix them while the people making the big bucks doing a job that could be replaced by a markov chain of startup buzzwords can do and have whatever they want with zero risk no matter how badly they gently caress up or how many people they hurt

and honestly I don't even care about people using recreationally what I do care about is the DEA by administrative fiat just deciding that actually there are only n valid diagnoses of said brain problems where n is significantly less than the number of current prescriptions and leaving everyone to compete for treatment, for no purpose, other than presumably to increase unemployment and keep labor in line by culling some arbitrary number of more marginal workers from the bottom as a threat to the rest

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if it makes you feel better i'm pretty sure that i have the brain problems but since i haven't been fired or burned down the house i can't find a medical provider that gives a poo poo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

if it makes you feel better i'm pretty sure that i have the brain problems but since i haven't been fired or burned down the house i can't find a medical provider that gives a poo poo

i had to get my therapist to talk to my psychiatrist and my GP directly for them to not just assume i wanted to Get High, def recommend trying that or something similar if you (or anyone else) is running up against the same poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

thing is I know some young dudes who literally can't work without stimulants since they've used them every time they had to be productive since they were 16 and, being older than them, I know folks who did that 20 years ago who did not have good outcomes

the way you phrase this makes it sound like they legitimately have adhd

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

if it makes you feel better i'm pretty sure that i have the brain problems

it absolutely does not.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hailthefish posted:

but the way the american medical system works and the prejudices prescribers usually have means that the people whose lives are most ruined by their brain problems have the least access to the drugs that might fix them

theyre prejudiced because they heard materially the same stuff about undertreatment, but for pain from the oxycontin peeps

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're crushing multiple startups based around diagnosing the poo poo out of adhd right now for lovely diagnoses made remotely

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theyre prejudiced because they heard materially the same stuff about undertreatment, but for pain from the oxycontin peeps

did psychiatrists prescribe much oxycontin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not much, but psychs are like a fifth of all benzos and basically most amphetamines

https://www.scielo.br/j/trends/a/qdh4Ls6KFbPmJVW3Vf9cxyN/?lang=en

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they're crushing multiple startups based around diagnosing the poo poo out of adhd right now for lovely diagnoses made remotely

none of those startups diagnosed adhd. they prescribed for it

formal adhd testing monopolizes a PhD psychologist for up to several hours. many with adhd haven’t actually had full testing because it’s very difficult to schedule. with the DEA turning it’s eye of Sauron like gaze on prescribing practices prescribers are going to want to be very conservative to stay off the DEA’s radar

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

well we all know the best way to prove someone really does have brain problems that make them forgetful, easily distracted, and struggle with punctuality and complex multi-step tasks that are inherently boring and/or perceived to be pointless is to make them go through several entirely pointless hoop-jumping sets of complex, multi-step tasks involving arbitrary deadlines with multiple entities that refuse to talk to eachother and have contradictory directions, anybody who does something more straightforward and flexible instead of all of that is definitely faking

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

qirex posted:

what sucks is you know the facbook adderall pipeline is probably untouched while normal people can't get their actual medical needs met

I am curious what the valley dorks folks will do without, ephedrine? stronger stuff? because from what I've seen "just work sober" isn't an option for those folks

thanks to weed its not an option for me either

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thanks weed

thweed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rotor posted:

the "reckoning" should be the decriminalization of drugs and a shift to a strategy based on addiction recovery and harm reduction

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

the "reckoning" should be the decriminalization of drugs and a shift to a strategy based on addiction recovery and harm reduction

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

what sucks is you know the facbook adderall pipeline is probably untouched while normal people can't get their actual medical needs met

I am curious what the valley dorks folks will do without, ephedrine? stronger stuff? because from what I've seen "just work sober" isn't an option for those folks

you can buy gray market mexican vyvanse on amazon :ssh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

post hole digger posted:

you can buy gray market mexican vyvanse on amazon :ssh:

well you could until you shot your fat mouth off buddy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

computer janitors are bringing back greenies in 2023 baby

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

well you could until you shot your fat mouth off buddy

yeah i probably shouldnt have posted that im acting up for attention

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anyway i don't think you can actually buy vyvanse on amazon considering it's a schedule II controlled substance

unless you meant buy it with a prescription through their pharmacy thing in which case sure idk maybe

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you can however buy these Gamer Pills

e: lol a search specifically for "gamer pills" turns up a couple of nootropics but also weight loss stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
increase reaction time!