Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
This game is just DLC for BOTW. Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers (of cutscenes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Augus posted:

lol people have been whining about it for months, do you live in a cave

? I think I've seen some people who were concerned, but not any committed flame wars over it. If there have been sorry, not trying to be obstinate.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Though asking, have we seen a stamina wheel? I didn't like it at all in BotW and looking at links goofy rear end moon jumps and wondering if that got removed or if it was just hidden for trailer purposes.

Replaced completely by the battery gauge. Link is now a cyborg.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ posted:

Replaced completely by the battery gauge. Link is now a cyborg.

This just makes me think of the future concept art

And him with a guitar

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

all of this ganon timeline stuff is fanfic

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

kidcoelacanth posted:

he got his dick caught in a woodchipper rip

That's the birds name?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the devs couldn't think of cool timeskip haircuts for Teba and Yonobo so they were killed

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 14, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Zelda goes back to the past to save Kass from dying.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
According to the timeline the only Link that can be defeated is the one in Ocarina of Time.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Regarding Ganondorf, I think there's a chance this is an origin story of sorts for him, which would make the thematic connections to SS (which had Zelda and Link's origins) even more relevant

Ever since the tapestry was showed 6 years ago people have speculated that the red-haired hero was actually Ganondorf, and that the Zonai either worshipped him or he was related to their kingdom is some way. This latest trailer provides even more hints of that:

- Zelda is seemingly sent back in time, likely to the time of the Zonai / 10,000 years ago, in that weird chamber dehydrated Ganondorf is imprisoned in, suggesting he's also connected to that era
- He has a tear like the other champions, suggesting he was perhaps one of the champions before being corrupted
- There is a notable difference between the evil figure shown early in the trailer (during the huge blood moon) and Ganondorf proper. The former is more monstrous, has much different hair, a different profile, and they purposefully cut away before the face reveal. The first figure reminds me of Demise actually

Blaziken386 posted:

also my number one hope for TotK is that they make rain not be absolutely terrible

"what if we had a gimmick that disabled your climbing ability, made it impossible to use 75% of all weapons and shields, reduced visibility to snot, AND made it impossible to pass time unless you can find shelter??"

its not immersive its just tedious. is it loving perpetual monsoon season or something.

yeah. it was a neat gimmick leading up to Zora's Domain and the area with all those thunderstorms, but it was far too punishing and annoying elsewhere. the intention was probably to throw a monkey wrench in your exploration strategy so that "climb to highest place" wasn't always the answer, but in practical terms it often was the only answer, so you ended up just waiting the storm out, which was boring

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Zelda Timeline is funny because of how transparently obvious it is that they made it up long after the fact and had to force all the games into it.

I don't mind the idea of long-term Zelda Lore, but it's still pretty funny seeing people attempt to do serious Lore Analysis based off of the timeline.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ytlaya posted:

The Zelda Timeline is funny because of how transparently obvious it is that they made it up long after the fact and had to force all the games into it.

I don't mind the idea of long-term Zelda Lore, but it's still pretty funny seeing people attempt to do serious Lore Analysis based off of the timeline.
its incredibly ramshackle and contrived but thats what makes it fun. like yes obviously every game is standalone but what if

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There's a small leak (it's for a US video ad for TotK) that shows a few extra scenes that we haven't seen yet.
The 3-headed dragon is explicitly Gleeok, as Link's fighting a Flame Gleeok in the spot, the dark underground scene shows a Z coordinate of -470 so we do seem to go fairly deep and also can light up the way with arrow fusions?, and Link's seen sporting that wild long hair with the Champion's Tunic.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
One of the best things about the Zelda series I how much is (deliberately) left unexplained. A monolithic statue is missing from the desert and its giant sword is found miles away on top of a snowy mountain? gently caress yeah.

Do love me a good Zelda theory YouTube video, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Blaziken386 posted:

its incredibly ramshackle and contrived but thats what makes it fun. like yes obviously every game is standalone but what if

I feel like there must have been some way to create the timelime without the three separate branches. Like just place everything that could have happened at any point as having occurred prior to OoT. IIRC only Windwaker really introduces a big thing that would be incompatible with many of the other games happening after it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Timeline theories were floating around before they confirmed or wrote a timeline out for themselves and us, because it's not that hard to slot them together in that fashion, even without intention people were able to notice patterns for themselves.

It's not even notable for a fictional works later additions to have to alter or add something in not planned or originally revealed. People accept Empire Strikes Back as all time epic twist, not all-time bullshit rear end-pull.

Humans taking established myths and filling in the gaps with imagination and tenuous threads is the oldest most humany storytelling thing around. Folks had theories and stuff about Gilgamesh that the priests weren't necessarily writing down but everyone could believe.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
OoT pretty tidily created two timelines.

It is just really funny that they decided there was a third timeline for "Link loving died" to resolve where most of the the 2d games should go.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly Ganondorf getting a new design here is a pretty big deal. It’s been 17 years since he got a new design in a mainline game.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The bullshit part of the timeline is adding the third downfall line to explain why LttP's described Imprisoning War doesn't 100% match what they later wrote in OoT. Otherwise most of the games all along explicitly mentioned being a sequel or prequel to a previous one, and the couple that didn't also just didn't really make a difference where they went.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If those heads start flying around as the fight goes on I'm gonna pop.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, you could just slot the 2D games in after TP and it wouldn't really make a difference. The Imprisoning War involving like 12 people total is funny and contradicts LttP but there's a lot of early stuff that gets handwaved anyways so who cares.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Shiroc posted:

It is just really funny that they decided there was a third timeline for "Link loving died" to resolve where most of the the 2d games should go.

yeah I think everyone expected there to be two, but then having them reveal a third was pretty hilarious

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 14, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tsob posted:

I haven't played it since it released, but I remember really liking both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, and don't even remember having any issue with the track travel gimmick. Is there any word on them getting a release on Switch, either as a collection or as part of the online catalog?

I wish they would rerelease them, but I haven't even heard any rumors about that.

I liked the rest of Spirit Tracks, especially the dungeons, but every time I went back to replay it I just got to a certain point fighting enemy trains or something and just gave up. Plus, it just completely rubs me the wrong way to for the overworld in an explicitly exploration-centric franchise to literally be on rails.

But, I'd still love to revisit it and give it another chance, if I had an easier way to do that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shiroc posted:

i really like that because most videogames have to work on the assumption all your deaths and reloads don't count. like that they accounted for the most common link.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like everything that made heavy use of the touchscreen or just having two screens is going to be trapped forever on the DS family and WiiU.

I know that they can be emulated but it doesn't quite have the polished, just so, experience I'd expect Nintendo to want.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

four swords apparently being after twilight princess is the funniest imo. it's just completely arbitrary

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Let me make a traiiiiin

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah, exactly

and the only reason it's overly convoluted is due to the early titles. Every game from OoT onward has had a pretty explicit place in the series timeline (even the handheld games), no real guesswork required. It's something Nintendo is intentionally doing, though that doesn't make it any less slapdash

BotW has been the one exception to that, and it's been fun to speculate why. TotK is only adding more fuel to the speculation fire

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Augus posted:

four swords apparently being after twilight princess is the funniest imo. it's just completely arbitrary

I mean tbf after TP or Zelda 2 are the only places it can really fit. You need it to be post OoT, in Hyrule and with Ganon dead.

The first Four Swords is before OoT but the second involves both Vaati and Ganon being revived.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's funny because if they just timeline'd the main games and said stuff like Link's Awakening, Four Swords, etc was all just in-universe folk tales or in a separate side universe or whatever nobody except the absolutely gooniest of nerds would care, and it would make the whole thing much neater. That's essentially what Mega Man did with it's own timeline: it's Classic > X > Zero > ZX > Legends and everything else they've made is just treated as AU.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
tv spot, i think its unfinished but shows some more gameplay stuff and lighting in an underground cave

https://streamable.com/hi7qlc

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah, exactly

and the only reason it's overly convoluted is due to the early titles. Every game from OoT onward has had a pretty explicit place in the series timeline (even the handheld games), no real guesswork required. It's something Nintendo is intentionally doing, though that doesn't make it any less slapdash

BotW has been the one exception to that, and it's been fun to speculate why. TotK is only adding more fuel to the speculation fire
i like the one theory that was floated around in this thread earlier for why "BotW happens in all timelines simultaneously, gently caress you" isn't complete nonsense: because totk's rewind ability implies Convoluted Time Travel Bullshit might happen and the timelines themselves are getting fused together a la xenoblade 3, which at least is slightly more plausible than the canon explanation of "gently caress you"

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like there must have been some way to create the timelime without the three separate branches. Like just place everything that could have happened at any point as having occurred prior to OoT. IIRC only Windwaker really introduces a big thing that would be incompatible with many of the other games happening after it.
fun fact: the description for rock salt in botw implies that it's actually sea salt. which would imply that the ocean from wind waker used to cover the world but has since dried up.

edit:

Sydin posted:

It's funny because if they just timeline'd the main games and said stuff like Link's Awakening, Four Swords, etc was all just in-universe folk tales or in a separate side universe or whatever nobody except the absolutely gooniest of nerds would care, and it would make the whole thing much neater. That's essentially what Mega Man did with it's own timeline: it's Classic > X > Zero > ZX > Legends and everything else they've made is just treated as AU.
i still think the funniest part of the megaman timeline is that "battle network happened because Dr. Light got grant money and Dr. Wily didn't, which is why he's so loving angry all the time" is explicitly canon. hes such a petty rear end in a top hat in those games it's the best loving thing

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
ground

sky

underground

3 levels of map, going deep. about as deep as the sky is high :eyepop:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

tv spot, i think its unfinished but shows some more gameplay stuff and lighting in an underground cave

https://streamable.com/hi7qlc

Vikar Jerome posted:

ground

sky

underground

3 levels of map, going deep. about as deep as the sky is high :eyepop:
whatever video you're watching got taken down because copyright

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The weird third Downfall timeline makes sense if you remember that there is more than one instance of time travel in Ocarina of Time to potentially cause a timeline branch. Namely, accessing the Spirit Temple.

If I remember right, you have to go there as an adult, realize you can't actually get in because the door's locked, go back in time to fit through a gap as a child, and that opens the way for you when you go back forward to the Adult timeframe. I don't think it's possible to pre-open the way in advance before the seven-year timeskip, you HAVE to go back in time to do this. This means that there's a fork in the timeline where Adult Link gets to a door he can't get past, and just... disappears from history entirely, while the door gets opened for some OTHER divergent timeline. Ganondorf never gets defeated in that timeline because Link just sorta bailed, even if he wasn't aware that's how time travel works.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 14, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blaziken386 posted:

Hogama posted:

There's a small leak (it's for a US video ad for TotK) that shows a few extra scenes that we haven't seen yet.
Still up at Reddit.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

figures, tv spot show 1 and 2 stuff that wasnt in the trailer with people playing across the different switch setups it like a typical switch advert. the 3rd image is from the underground shot. one shot had link floating toward hyrule castle and underground firing something off the bow to attach to an underground tree to light the place up up and the fight against whatsitsface on the bridge with full hud and health bar and that. other shots were from the new trailer.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

The weird third Downfall timeline makes sense if you remember that there is more than one instance of time travel in Ocarina of Time to potentially cause a timeline branch. Namely, accessing the Spirit Temple.

If I remember right, you have to go there as an adult, go back in time to fit through a gap as a child, and that opens the way for you when you go back forward to the Adult timeframe. I don't think it's possible to pre-open the way in advance before the seven-year timeskip, you HAVE to go back in time to do this. This means that there's a fork in the timeline where Adult Link gets to a door he can't get past, and just... disappears from history entirely, while the door gets opened for some OTHER divergent timeline. Ganondorf never gets defeated in that timeline because Link just sorta bailed, even if he wasn't aware that's how time travel works.
petition to rename the downfall timeline to the "link gets stuck at a loving door" timeline

(i don't think that counts because link switching back and forth would potentially create an infinite number of timelines in that case. I'm assuming the main branch only happens because link explicitly gets sent back by zelda at the end instead of doing it himself.)

edit: actually yeah, now that i think about it, the past/future OoT state is triggered by the master sword, not the ocarina. But zelda plays the ocarina at the end and uses THAT to send you back, and that only happens once.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 14, 2023

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Hogama posted:

Still up at Reddit.

oh drat didnt see you post it before hand lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/1646549635203465216