Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
I'm interested in stories that deal with infinity, eternity, and related concepts -- truly enormous expanses of time and space, or huge numbers more generally. Such as Borges' Library of Babel, and Steven Peck's Short Stay in Hell (which is based on the Borges story).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ScienceSeagull posted:

I'm interested in stories that deal with infinity, eternity, and related concepts -- truly enormous expanses of time and space, or huge numbers more generally. Such as Borges' Library of Babel, and Steven Peck's Short Stay in Hell (which is based on the Borges story).

Greg Egan’s whole thing is that. Check out Diaspora for one focused on space.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

ScienceSeagull posted:

The sequels to The Three Body Problem actually span billions of years in a way that makes narrative sense

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dune does as well, though not really in ways where you feel the expanse of time

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ScienceSeagull posted:

Check out:

Olaf Stapeldon

Stephen Baxter

Alistair Reynolds (especially House of Suns)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Check out:

Olaf Stapeldon
kudos for letting me know this guy exists, Star Maker and Last And First Men both sound amazing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I know this is a little broad, but hoping to get some recs.

I really enjoy stories (both fiction and non-fiction), of people surviving incredibly harsh conditions over a long term. I'm more interested in "man-made" (for lack of a better term) situations than "natural" ones; for example I just read "Five Years to Freedom" by James Rowe and enjoyed it, I'd be less interested in "I survived in the wilderness" type stuff.

Some books in this style I've really enjoyed

-The Road by McCarthy
-A Storm of Steel by Unger
-Roadside Picnic (I feel like it's movie adaption, STALKER, had more of the vibes I'm going for)
-The Worst Hard Time by Egan (this one is a natural disaster but is not set in the wilderness so it's all good)

Fiction and non-fiction are both welcome.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not exactly that but if you haven't read Fantasticland you might enjoy that one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You might like The 900 Days, about the Siege of Leningrad

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

I really enjoy stories (both fiction and non-fiction), of people surviving incredibly harsh conditions over a long term. I'm more interested in "man-made" (for lack of a better term) situations than "natural" ones; for example I just read "Five Years to Freedom" by James Rowe and enjoyed it, I'd be less interested in "I survived in the wilderness" type stuff.

-The Road by McCarthy
-Roadside Picnic (I feel like it's movie adaption, STALKER, had more of the vibes I'm going for)
-The Worst Hard Time by Egan (this one is a natural disaster but is not set in the wilderness so it's all good)

I would recommend Engine Summer as a long shot.

Sorrowland’s first two acts should scratch that itch and it’s a pretty good book

Doggerland would probably fit the bill the best, being kind of a The Road but with wind turbines. I loved it and recalling its perfect sense of desolation makes me want to read it again.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ScienceSeagull posted:

probably this book but with the caveat that i haven't actually read it myself yet: https://www.amazon.com/Ten-Billion-Days-Hundred-Nights/dp/142154931X

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

-The Road by McCarthy

Life & Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee is a good one, and short enough to read in one sitting. Maybe also The Plague by Camus?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hello thread,

I am leaving for a vacation, and would like to stock up my e-reader with good books. Will be reading while traveling, so nothing too too cerebral. Generally, I enjoy the same fantasy/sci fi as the general forum consensus (Abercrombie, Gideon the Ninth, Gene Wolfe), noire-y mysteries with a focus on bureaucracy/the system (Six Four, All She Was Worth), and well-researched historical fiction (Mary Renault, Tom Holt). Anyone read something in any of those categories recently they want to evangelize?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

I am leaving for a vacation, and would like to stock up my e-reader with good books. Will be reading while traveling, so nothing too too cerebral. Generally, I enjoy the same fantasy/sci fi as the general forum consensus (Abercrombie, Gideon the Ninth, Gene Wolfe), noire-y mysteries with a focus on bureaucracy/the system (Six Four, All She Was Worth), and well-researched historical fiction (Mary Renault, Tom Holt). Anyone read something in any of those categories recently they want to evangelize?

I wish I could read The Grace of Kings again for the first time. I’m now like 6000 pages into that world and I’m still on the edge of my seat. The whole series is a masterpiece and really stretches the bounds of its genre imo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

I'll speak up for the Eisenhorn novels. A sci-fi detective series about an Inquisitor whose investigations into the monstrous cults which worship blasphemous powers from beyond our universe often forces him to use measures which put him at odds with the very organizations he's sworn to protect. They blend pulpy sci-fi with pulpy detective stuff really well.

They are Warhammer 40k novels. But as well as being widely regarded as some of the best novels in the franchise, the series started really early on, playing a major part in defining the setting in their own right, so they don't expect you to be familiar with the universe. Anything you need to understand is explained.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

Well, if you haven't read Bridge of Birds, read Bridge of Birds. And if you just want something pulpy and fun, Will Wight's Cradle series is good times.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

Noire-y mysteries with a focus on bureaucracy/the system (Six Four, All She Was Worth)?

Have you read Last Seen Wearing.. by Hillary Waugh or the Martin Beck books?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

well-researched historical fiction

Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin series.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 14, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

Oh and a shorter rec: The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Smiling Knight posted:

Will be reading while traveling, so nothing too too cerebral.

tuyop posted:

Oh and a shorter rec: The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe

I know the OP said they enjoy Gene Wolfe but lmao

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

fez_machine posted:

I know the OP said they enjoy Gene Wolfe but lmao

I don’t know, I found it to be an accessible, deep, and satisfying read. Not saying that it’s everyone’s vacation fare, personally I usually go for something like Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead or Tales From the Hinterland but the op didn’t ask for contemporary dark fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Smiling Knight posted:

Hello thread,

If you haven't grabbed it already, the big title I see missing there is Between Two Fires, historical fantasy.

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Two-Fires-Christopher-Buehlman/dp/B08C9D71PS

Also of course anyone who likes Renault should read Aubrey/ Maturin but I'm going to assume you already have.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you haven't grabbed it already, the big title I see missing there is Between Two Fires, historical fantasy.

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Two-Fires-Christopher-Buehlman/dp/B08C9D71PS

Also of course anyone who likes Renault should read Aubrey/ Maturin but I'm going to assume you already have.

I saw while browsing the thread earlier, and I read it last month! Quite fun!

And the Aubrey / Maturin are actually a big gap of mine. I am going to England, seems like an ideal time to rectify that. All these recommendations are great, I will stock up. Thank you all.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I’m looking for mystery thrillers that are like any of Gillian Flynn’s books (Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, and Dark Places). Super dark, twisty, well written, twists you don’t see coming, wholly and utterly consuming.

I’ve read some other thrillers lately that just haven’t done it for me (Verity, The Silent Patient, a few by Kristen Lepionka). I’ve read the Girl on the Train and the Couple Next Door and felt pretty meh about them. I think I’ve read one or two by Ruth Ware that didn’t really do much for me. I thought A Flicker in the Dark and The Girls Are All So Nice Here were pretty bad. I liked I Have Some Questions For You (new by Rebecca Makkai) but thought it was kinda slow in the middle.

Dunno if it was the time of my life that I read the Gillian Flynns but I’ve been searching for that feeling again to no avail. Any suggestions?

edit: felt this way about The Push recently too even though it's not really a mystery thriller in the same way, but I tore through it and it hosed me up afterwards, so something like that works too

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 21, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Maybe Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Takarczuk. Would be a bit of a change from your examples but it’s still a thriller at its core

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Patricia Highsmith's Ripley books come to mind.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I would be keen to know too cos I've had similar experience of being disappointed by many of those other authors you name. A few you could try that I've loved and feel similar enough in terms of the reading experience even if not strictly in terms of genre: Tana French 'The Searcher', Dan Simmons 'Song of Kali', Catriona Ward 'Sundial', Iain Reid 'I'm Thinking of Ending Things'.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ooo kind of a left field suggestion but try Piranesi. Excellent book revolving around a weird mystery. But it definitely qualifies as weird fiction.

Possibly The city and the city by China Miéville if weirdness is on the menu.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

boquiabierta posted:

I’m looking for mystery thrillers that are like any of Gillian Flynn’s books (Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, and Dark Places). Super dark, twisty, well written, twists you don’t see coming, wholly and utterly consuming.

Try Dennis Lehane. He wrote Mystic River, which was turned into an excellent film, and Shutter Island, which was turned into a fantastic film. Staff writer on The Wire, too. I'd recommend both of those books.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I want to read someone's collected essays and articles, hopefully with at least a few penetrating book/movie reviews, maybe even music reviews.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FPyat posted:

I want to read someone's collected essays and articles, hopefully with at least a few penetrating book/movie reviews, maybe even music reviews.

I really enjoyed The Wave in the Mind by Ursula Le Guin, and it's got great essays on Tolkein, Tolstoy, and Twain (among others).

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

FPyat posted:

How modern?

My desert island book is Cultural Amnesia by Clive James. It's obscenely good - 100 or so short biographical sketches of (mainly) thinkers and writers, with then a short quote that caught James' eye, followed by a few pages of his own thoughts and musings. It's hard to explain just how good it is. It's a 20th C book (rather than 21st), and dominated by the thinkers lost in the middle years of that century. Lots in there about authors and auteurs, also some (older) music.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FPyat posted:

I found Jia Tolentino’s Trick Mirror quite good and illuminating. All those types of essays are there, feminist focus with some leftist takes and some liberal takes.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

tuyop posted:

I found Jia Tolentino’s Trick Mirror quite good and illuminating. All those types of essays are there, feminist focus with some leftist takes and some liberal takes.

Does she have any essays about her slaves?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

COPE 27 posted:

Does she have any essays about her slaves?

I think so, it’s one about plantation weddings iirc.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

boquiabierta posted:

I’ve read some other thrillers lately that just haven’t done it for me (Verity, The Silent Patient, a few by Kristen Lepionka). I’ve read the Girl on the Train and the Couple Next Door and felt pretty meh about them. I think I’ve read one or two by Ruth Ware that didn’t really do much for me. I thought A Flicker in the Dark and The Girls Are All So Nice Here were pretty bad. I liked I Have Some Questions For You (new by Rebecca Makkai) but thought it was kinda slow in the middle.

Dunno if it was the time of my life that I read the Gillian Flynns but I’ve been searching for that feeling again to no avail. Any suggestions?

edit: felt this way about The Push recently too even though it's not really a mystery thriller in the same way, but I tore through it and it hosed me up afterwards, so something like that works too

In a Lonely Place by Dorothy B Hughes

Also seconding the Ripley recommendation.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What's a good starting point for the Philip K Dick bibliography? Something a little more narratively clear than I think he's know for. I'm kind of dumb. But not Man in the High Castle, I'm looking for sci fi.

Is Ubik a possibility? Or is that one not really for beginners?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's a good starting point for the Philip K Dick bibliography? Something a little more narratively clear than I think he's know for. I'm kind of dumb. But not Man in the High Castle, I'm looking for sci fi.

Do Androids Dream is good for an entry (and much better than the admittedly excellent movie), Flow My Tears is a personal favourite, Martian Time Slip, Dr. Bloodmoney, A Scanner Darkly, Time Out of Joint, Now Wait for Last Year, all good stuff.

Ubik and the Valis trilogy are a bit more, so if you click with what he's doing then go for it. But honestly Ubik isn't inaccessible or anything so go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

His short stories are probably the best place to start for clarity, get one of the collections.