Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ongoing issues with my internet speeds and I'm unsure how to proceed - advice would be appreciated.

Current modem is an Arris SB6183, router is a Netgear R6400 - yes, it's old equipment and I can replace it if necessary. Provider is Xfinity, I think I have 800mb/s down - more than my equipment can handle.

I can connect my desktop via either Powerline or wireless, however via either, the max down speed I can get via speed test is ~5mb/s. When I turn mobile data off on my cellphone and run the same speed test on the same home network, I get 250mb/s reliably. I don't think the problem is Xfinity, but I could be wrong.

My modem is throwing errors in the event log with no timestamp - I have no idea how recent these are. I can post the full codes but I believe they include my MAC address, which I'm redacting:

Arris SB posted:

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I can post additional information from the modem and/or routers configuration page if that's helpful.

I've tried to troubleshoot this with Xfinity's automated system, I have not gotten anyone on the phone yet (and I'm not even sure what number to call, they make it drat difficult).

Is this a solvable problem, do I need to find a contact # for Xfinity, or is it time to just drive to Microcenter in the morning and buy new gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ongoing issues with my internet speeds and I'm unsure how to proceed - advice would be appreciated.

Current modem is an Arris SB6183, router is a Netgear R6400 - yes, it's old equipment and I can replace it if necessary. Provider is Xfinity, I think I have 800mb/s down - more than my equipment can handle.

I can connect my desktop via either Powerline or wireless, however via either, the max down speed I can get via speed test is ~5mb/s. When I turn mobile data off on my cellphone and run the same speed test on the same home network, I get 250mb/s reliably. I don't think the problem is Xfinity, but I could be wrong.

My modem is throwing errors in the event log with no timestamp - I have no idea how recent these are. I can post the full codes but I believe they include my MAC address, which I'm redacting:

I can post additional information from the modem and/or routers configuration page if that's helpful.

I've tried to troubleshoot this with Xfinity's automated system, I have not gotten anyone on the phone yet (and I'm not even sure what number to call, they make it drat difficult).

Is this a solvable problem, do I need to find a contact # for Xfinity, or is it time to just drive to Microcenter in the morning and buy new gear?

what a mystery.

questions -
1) what phone are you using? when you run the second test is the phone on the wifi as well (with the cell data disabled) ?

1a) do you have tethering set up on your phone? can you disable it - like change the password just so your PC does not connect to it.

2) do you have both interfaces on when you run your speed test or are you on one interface at a time?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

RoboBoogie posted:

what a mystery.

questions -
1) what phone are you using? when you run the second test is the phone on the wifi as well (with the cell data disabled) ?

1a) do you have tethering set up on your phone? can you disable it - like change the password just so your PC does not connect to it.

2) do you have both interfaces on when you run your speed test or are you on one interface at a time?

Phone is a Pixel 4A. The phone is on Wifi when I turn off cell data.

I don't keep tethering active on my phone, and my PC is currently running on Powerline with wifi disabled.

I haven't run them simultaneously, only sequentially.

I'm mostly concerned with getting my PC connection speeds up to what it should be.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

When you say Powerline, do you mean some kind of ethernet to powerline network adapter setup? That would be a likely source of issues right there, powerline networking can be wonky.

The errors you're seeing on your modem are on the RF/IF side of things, it lost the downlink acquisition from the remote end modem for at least a moment. These types of errors can occur rarely due to maintenance or line conditions but if they are occurring constantly, I would be worried about your RF side. Sounds like that isn't an issue though if you're getting 250mbps wirelessly to your phone.

Connect your PC directly to your modem or your router without the powerline networking in line and try that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

When you say Powerline, do you mean some kind of ethernet to powerline network adapter setup? That would be a likely source of issues right there, powerline networking can be wonky.

The errors you're seeing on your modem are on the RF/IF side of things, it lost the downlink acquisition from the remote end modem for at least a moment. These types of errors can occur rarely due to maintenance or line conditions but if they are occurring constantly, I would be worried about your RF side. Sounds like that isn't an issue though if you're getting 250mbps wirelessly to your phone.

Connect your PC directly to your modem or your router without the powerline networking in line and try that.

I can connect via wireless or via Powerline, the run is too long (probably 50 ft.) from my PC to my router. When I've used wireless to my PC, I was getting the same speeds.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I dunno, they do make 50 ft Ethernet cables. If you didn't mind a cable hanging around on the floor you could do it.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I use little clips with sticky tape on the back to neatly run a wire across my rental home. Plastic junk hoorah!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Can you connect it directly at least just for testing purposes?

Most Ethernet cables can go up to 300ft no problem.

Have you tried a different wifi device on your desktop maybe? Use a plugin USB wifi adapter and see if it's better?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Hello again network goons.
My house is now Ethernet’d up and it’s time for me
To start the next part of the journey.
I have a small 5 port PoE switch I added to my rack just in case for expansion if I wanted to add security cameras. I’m nearing that point where I would like to be able to add somewhat discreet cameras to a couple of points. Particularly one to cover my driveway / mailbox / front gate.

What my ideal goal would be is:
1 cable to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them power and connect for data.
Ability to view it / review it from a mobile app
No subscription
At least as good of quality picture as my ring doorbell.

I have a couple of old PCs that I can throw Linux or windows on in order to run some software for it if needed, that would also be hardwired.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

otter posted:

cameras

Are you by any chance so far entangled with Ubiquiti products?
If so there's always Unifi Protect - It's what I use.

Now, there's some animosity that it used to be a FOSS thing, and then they went closed source because they had to for some distribution channels or something, but, the product works fine and I don't think it's going to change again.

Anyway, there's web UI and mobile apps etc, and its also all stored local (not sent up into the cloud with who knows what security)

If you're brand new to unifi ecosystem tho there's prolly other better options but this is the one i'm familiar with.

E: Sorry I forgot to mention, this does require some unifi part to actually do the video recording - that's the thing above about it going closed source. You can't just use a random linux box off the shelf to hold the video, but there are options that aren't too expensive. I use the cloud key gen2+.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 9, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I don’t currently have any ubiquiti gear all up in the rack.
Right now I have:
Cable modem (which is my bottleneck since it’s capped at around where my max cable speed is)
That feeds into my eero router, which then feeds to my
tp-link switch (24 port) that distributes to the Ethernet drops to each end of the house (2 to my office, 2 to wife’s office, 1 to family room, 1 to each the garage bench and living room), & PoE switch which currently has nothing attached.

I decided ultimately to let the Eeros run the wifi and routing for now, but long term goal is a better router and turn the eeros into nothing but wifi access points.

I’m open to router options, but I don’t want anything too complicated. Ever since my brain injury I forget how to do things I am not steeped in daily.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

otter posted:

I don’t currently have any ubiquiti gear all up in the rack.
Right now I have:
Cable modem (which is my bottleneck since it’s capped at around where my max cable speed is)
That feeds into my eero router, which then feeds to my
tp-link switch (24 port) that distributes to the Ethernet drops to each end of the house (2 to my office, 2 to wife’s office, 1 to family room, 1 to each the garage bench and living room), & PoE switch which currently has nothing attached.

I decided ultimately to let the Eeros run the wifi and routing for now, but long term goal is a better router and turn the eeros into nothing but wifi access points.

I’m open to router options, but I don’t want anything too complicated. Ever since my brain injury I forget how to do things I am not steeped in daily.

OK then please don't take my suggestion as God's truth - it seems like 50% of the people in here are already in the clutches of Ubiquiti/Unifi stuff and it make sense IF you're already invested, but please don't let me get between you and happiness with another solution.

I'd wait to see what other options pop up here, since UBNT is a lifestyle as much as a product it seems

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ah just add a nice pfSense router to your current mix, either roll your own or pick up one of NetGate's premade solutions, or pick a clone from the literally hundreds available on AliExpress, especially if you ever upgrade your ISP's speed to gigabit.

I say this as someone who got an EdgeRouter and a few U6s; I've only ever had to deal with Ubiquiti tech support once and they were pretty knowledgeable but yet horrible; if lightning ever takes out my ER I'm just going to either move the Mac Mini quad core I have standing by into its place as the pfSense router or follow the advice I just mentioned.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 9, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I got to spend Friday hunting down poo poo related to a UDM deciding to brick itself following a brief power loss so I'm very down on their stuff besides the physical APs presently

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Unifi protect is good for plugging it in and being done with it. Unifi Protect runs on the UNVR directly, the Controller is only needed when you want to adopt new devices if you don't want to get fully into the unifi ecosystem.

I am very Pro-Unifi, but I am among the small cross section of people who refuse to touch anything in the dream machine line, which seem to be the problem children.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Especially when they all supposedly use the same 1.7 GHz ARM quadcore CPU, but somehow the standard Dream Machine is incapable of keeping up with full gigabit while the SE and Pro don't have that problem.

Their UISP line seems ok, but it's a rebranding of their higher tier EdgeMax routers with the word 'UISP' stuck in front of them. All using the same MIPS CPU, a quadcore running at 1 GHz. Makes you wonder if they'll ever switch to something else..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 10, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What’d be a good router option to connect to a fibre pon modem if it is 10G SFP? This was one of the main reasons I was eyeing a udm se.

I am assuming there are aliexpress options that have 10G instead of the 2.5G ports?

My area is getting fibre rolled out and would like to move over from cablemodem at some point.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

M_Gargantua posted:

I am very Pro-Unifi, but I am among the small cross section of people who refuse to touch anything in the dream machine line, which seem to be the problem children.

:same:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

yeah same i go edgerouter 6P into unifi switches and its all unifi on down from there, APs, cams, cloud key, switching/poe, but the router is just the edgemax line. no UDM here.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
yep my network is all ubiquiti, other than the opnsense firewall, it’s been great

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sniep posted:

OK then please don't take my suggestion as God's truth - it seems like 50% of the people in here are already in the clutches of Ubiquiti/Unifi stuff and it make sense IF you're already invested, but please don't let me get between you and happiness with another solution.

I'd wait to see what other options pop up here, since UBNT is a lifestyle as much as a product it seems

that's because for years, Ubiquiti was the go-to suggestion in this thread, for no-nonsense, high-performing prosumer hardware. Between an Edgerouter and a few cheapo APs configured in standalone mode, you had a network that beat the pants off anything that came in a single all-in-one unit.

But then the top-end engineering talent left, and the marketing ghouls took over, and then they wanted to be the Apple of pretenderprise network hardware, where they know what's best for you, no, you don't have any options except to use the cloud. They unceremoniously deprecated the Edgerouter line, and then there was that whole fiasco with the 6--month, without any warning, EOLing of the Unifi-Video line of products, with no provisions to continuing to use it unsupported afterwards, gently caress you if you had just finished installing a system less than 24 hours before the announcement, and also gently caress you because there's no way to have interpoerability with the new shiny Unifi Security suite that's supposed to replace it.

And as far as I know, you still can't configure the Dream Machines offline, without creating a Unifi Cloud username/password first, as we're what, eight years on now?

So a significant number of goons that previously were all Ubiquiti now are not, or are just waiting for the old Ubiquiti stuff to die off so that it can be replaced.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 10, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

priznat posted:

What’d be a good router option to connect to a fibre pon modem if it is 10G SFP? This was one of the main reasons I was eyeing a udm se.

I am assuming there are aliexpress options that have 10G instead of the 2.5G ports?

My area is getting fibre rolled out and would like to move over from cablemodem at some point.

I've tested my UXG-Pro at 10G internally, and its theoretically able to do 10G routing but I don't know anybody who has a 10G WAN to stress test it.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And as far as I know, you still can't configure the Dream Machines offline, without creating a Unifi Cloud username/password first, as we're what, eight years on now?

On the other hand you don't need a Dream Machine for any Unifi Deployment. I've never had anything in the Cloud, and i'm fully in the ecosystem.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

When you say router, I assume you mean you're looking to do both stateful and stateless firewalling at 10G?

Forwarding at 10G isn't difficult, firewalling (especially statefully) can be - so I'd recommend going with commodity hardware and a 10G SFP+ PON adapter from FiberStore, then installing BSDRP on it.
It's based on FreeBSD -CURRENT so has all the speed-ups that the pf firewall has gotten (which makes it about as fast as ipfw is), and has everything you should need.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
If I had no Unifi gear currently and I was wanting to run a few cameras, I’d look at an off the shelf NVR, roll a Blue Iris server, or my personal favorite but slightly expensive, use a synology with surveillance station and not be locked down to a specific vendor for cameras.

Unifi was the go to for years yeah but tp-link has made great strides in the SOHO market and I’ve been running Aruba-Instant-On in an industry that you normally see Unifi APs with great success so far. (Behind Fortigate 40f).

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

priznat posted:

You should take a look at the R86S options on AliExpress.

ServeTheHome reviewed them and they seemed to work as-advertised.

https://www.servethehome.com/the-gowin-r86s-revolution-low-power-2-5gbe-and-10gbe-intel-nvidia/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
These look awesome but holy poo poo they're expensive.

Also re: Unifi, one thing I hated about using the UDM Pro was basically having a single point of failure that's impossible to replace 350 days of the year thanks to how much product Ubiquiti seems to actually make. Plus as mentioned the required Internet connection when restoring stuff is such a loving pain in the rear end. I ran into an issue where a point release update stopped supporting the SFP I used and the amount of bullshit I went through turned me off their routers/gateways. Their APs and cameras are still rock solid though, and the cameras work fine with not only their NVR but Blue Iris/Zoneminder/whatever.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just remember that an iperf test (no matter if it's version 2 or 3, though they're different) doesn't measure the firewalling speed of the hardware, which is what matters.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

I've tested my UXG-Pro at 10G internally, and its theoretically able to do 10G routing but I don't know anybody who has a 10G WAN to stress test it.

On the other hand you don't need a Dream Machine for any Unifi Deployment. I've never had anything in the Cloud, and i'm fully in the ecosystem.

Was not intending to convey that it was needed for a Unifi deployment, but to convey that their design principles are stupid, in that you cannot even use the UDM as a dumb switch before logging in and committing initial configuration, and their promises to allow for initial setup while not connected to the internet are still broken, unfulfilled, and I believe walked back on and written out of history.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Less Fat Luke posted:

Also re: Unifi,

, and the cameras work fine with not only their NVR but Blue Iris/Zoneminder/whatever.

Interesting. That's good to know since i got 6 of them around the house. Only thing that sucks for my Bullet g4s is the IR blasters died on all of them. Only seemed to last about 6-12 months and then just started flickering and then gone.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have two separate cellular internet connections (very rural TN home). I am running Win11 on my desktop. Is there any way I can “dedicate” certain connections to certain programs, as on (for example) one only using Steam and using only the other for Qbittorrent?

I’m not talking about channel bonding or combining the connections, just some Windows native or third-party (even paid) application that would do this?

I share the downstairs internet with my folks, and don’t want to be downloading a game/patch/whatever while my dad is on Netflix and mom is watching Facebook videos or whatever it is they do online. I don’t care if it takes configuring or slows me down, I just don’t want them to buffer or hiccup during the day/evening because I want to try out Arkham City or multibox an MMO while they’re awake.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Nothing does that natively. You'd be manipulating the routing table on a per-app basis which is not a typical function.

Some old discussions on this mention https://r1ch.net/projects/forcebindip but I cannot vouch for it. DLL injection in games is sorta bad news from an anti-cheat perspective.

You may be better off doing this upstream (it's a typical SDWAN function) so are the two internet connections attached to the same router?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Doing Dual WAN balancing and traffic management at the router is easy and pretty standardized.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Back in college I built my first pfSense box out of an old PC to do exactly that. We had a 10/1 cable connection of our own and six 10BaseT resnet connections, so types of traffic that weren't throttled on resnet we set to route out those connections where games, P2P, and such would go out the cable. We set up those rules manually based on the ports they ran on and sometimes also which computer was doing it, so it was definitely not easy or automatic.

Any router that supports multiple WAN connections should be able to do something like this.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

M_Gargantua posted:

Doing Dual WAN balancing and traffic management at the router is easy and pretty standardized.

Ok, this gives me some terms to research. Thanks for the help, guys, about the dual-WAN port routers and such. I don’t mind figuring stuff out, but I also needed a point in the right direction to start! I just don’t want to be downloading a game on Steam and have it make the other rooms get lovely internet for TVs/phones on Wi-Fi.

The internet connections are a T-Mobile home internet base station (finally got 5G turned on officially yesterday) and a 4G LTE T-Mobile Franklin T10. I also have a RPi 0w and older Debian laptop that are available in my family’s tech museum (my attic closet) so if I need other equipment I should be ok while learning. Considering that we’ve been running the house off a 4G signal for 5 years (2 of them actually tethered to the desktop via iPhones!) with satellite and dial-up before that, this is literally life changing. Both connections are true unlimited, too.

We have the base in my room upstairs, with one (of two ports) Ethernet line connected directly to my desktop and one to a TP Link Deco base station, with three Deco mesh stations downstairs. We have excellent coverage even on the back porch, in the garage ,and under our cigar smoking tree. All our IoT stuff is set and forget to the mesh 2.4Ghz band, while all users/devices are on the 5Ghz side. I’ve been downloading poo poo and watching 1080p YouTube videos all day! Those of you with fiber or cable or whatever gigabit don’t know how envious folks can be…especially as one coming from a ‘00s-era suburban cable connection post-divorce to 28.8 dial-up in the rural South. Being able to download a 12Gb game demo on Steam just because I wanted to try it out before maybe buying it feels good, man.
:getin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think an Edgerouter-X might still be the cheapest full feature gigabit router that supports dual WAN. Unless you make your own pfsense box.

Its not Unifi either.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

M_Gargantua posted:

yeah that’s super trivial with a pf/opn sense box

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I think an Edgerouter-X might still be the cheapest full feature gigabit router that supports dual WAN. Unless you make your own pfsense box.

Its not Unifi either.

In the stock firmware configuration, the CPU in the ER-X is connected to the switch chip by a single full duplex 1Gbps link, so it'll bottleneck if the combined traffic in both directions exceeds that. Supposedly the OpenWRT people have figured out a software tweak to enable a second 1Gbps link and remove that bottleneck for full gigabit throughput. I have not tried it though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Considering the use case is two mobile cellular stations, even gigabit capability is just overkill future proofing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

M_Gargantua posted:

Considering the use case is two mobile cellular stations, even gigabit capability is just overkill future proofing.

The 5G hits 70Mb down, and on a good day the 4G LTE internet hits 4Mb down (over USB-C), so “gigabit” is slightly more than what I’m going to see 🤔.

Turns out my TP-Link Deco base station can be set up as a pfsense router if I turn it on Router instead of Access Point. Sense we’re all set up now bathing in dozens of Mb of Wi-Fi, I’m simply not going to mess with anything right now (at least until my folks go on vacation and I can gently caress around with internet by myself!). QoS and all that such is in the menus for router mode, but I’m letting the 5G base station handle routing for now.

I did change “VLAN packet priority” (or something near that) to Disabled. My Win11 desktop is now connected via Ethernet from the 5G station and WiFi from the 4G LTE pocket modem (via two separate pieces of internal hardware). I also downloaded Network Manager from Sortbyte and will try to set up Load Balancing when I get home (phone posting). It’s supposed to work, anyway, but if I run into any problems I’ll check back.

Without the “Load balancing” term to google I’d have been lost, so thanks again. I can look into loving around router-stuff when I’m the only one at home to deal with my own (inevitable) screwing it up!

Edit:
Downloaded the 103Gb Mass Effect: Legendary Edition last night while playing Warzone2 with my son. The 21st century internet is a joyful place! 😎

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking LTE networks, even if they're for backup - I wanna get a hold of a LTE-A EM160R-GL.

It does LTE-A Cat 16, meaning it's supposed to be capable of the full 1Gbps/150Mbps uplink that's advertised for stationary devices.