Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Sydin posted:

It's funny because if they just timeline'd the main games and said stuff like Link's Awakening, Four Swords, etc was all just in-universe folk tales or in a separate side universe or whatever nobody except the absolutely gooniest of nerds would care, and it would make the whole thing much neater. That's essentially what Mega Man did with it's own timeline: it's Classic > X > Zero > ZX > Legends and everything else they've made is just treated as AU.

I don't know the right word to describe this, but I get the feeling that Nintendo is completely aware how silly it is, yet they are still very serious about it. It's as if they took it as a challenge to add every title to the timeline regardless of how insane that'd be

I mean the 2nd game, canonically speaking, is the origin story of Link's hat. That's ridiculous! But they embrace it, and that's why it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
also this is unrelated but i would like to thank whoever posted about Ship of Harkinian the other day, it rules. Can't wait until they manage to get MM to run on this thing

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

petition to rename the downfall timeline to the "link gets stuck at a loving door" timeline

(i don't think that counts because link switching back and forth would potentially create an infinite number of timelines in that case. I'm assuming the main branch only happens because link explicitly gets sent back by zelda at the end instead of doing it himself.)

It can potentially happen any number of times, but it's mandatory at least once, and it's canonically doing something in the past to change the future, so I feel like it counts. Makes more sense than "one of the Game Over screens when a ReDead ate your skull was actually canon the whole time"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WarpDogs posted:

I don't know the right word to describe this, but I get the feeling that Nintendo is completely aware how silly it is, yet they are still very serious about it. It's as if they took it as a challenge to add every title to the timeline regardless of how insane that'd be

I mean the 2nd game, canonically speaking, is the origin story of Link's hat. That's ridiculous! But they embrace it, and that's why it rules

Its even funnier because the first Link even had the hat already. We just really wanted to lock it in.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1KnV7DBpg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You got this, Link :buddy:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think this is the best look we've gotten of these tall structures scattered around the map. They look like giant swords planted in the ground, with wind coming up from beneath them. Maybe these are spots where you'll be able to enter the underground areas?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

drat that tralier owned

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope treehouse doesn't gently caress up Links character this time around. Remember that being a thing in BotW and I don't know why they didn't want Link to have a personality

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

didn't that turn out to just be people online getting confused by japanese pronoun ambiguity

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Augus posted:

didn't that turn out to just be people online getting confused by japanese pronoun ambiguity

Eh, it might or might not have been Link but they definitely made the mission log drier and removed a lot of the fluff from it even if it was supposed to be an omniscient narrator.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/897f6ca2/status/1646528448666677251

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Errant thought, but what if the nature of the Fierce Deity of Majora's mask makes some connection to link as demise/hylia do to Ganondorf/zelda? This would make another trinity to replace the three goddesses, perhaps with one usually benevolent, one malevolent, and one perhaps flipping as needed?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Oh poo poo they got Tim Follin to do music for this game??

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

I just looked up an example, and it seems implied to be from first-person. This one I'm looking at now ends with something like "I want to see her smile once more with these eyes" (kanojo no egao wo mou ichidou kono me de mitai), and I'm not sure how to read that other than in first-person.

That being said, people absolutely exaggerate the differences, and most of the stuff people talk about the quest log "revealing" is extremely obvious and unsurprising (like the "I want to see Zelda again" stuff above, or stuff implying Link is sometimes competitive).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, that red haired mural guy has been bugging me in the back of my mind since that game came out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I liked how the manga made Wind Waker Link some dopey kid who just annoyed Ganondorf when he entered the room.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm really hoping for some sort of twist regarding what happened during the previous calamity. There's a lot of room for one to be plausible, given the amount of time and how vague the tapestry is.

Also, is the sword guy's hair red? I'm colorblind so I can't tell, but that seems like a pretty strong implication it's not Link if so.

Edit: The princess part seems flat-out likely, given the darker skin on the tapestry. Hard to explain that otherwise.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 14, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah the hair is red and skin is greenish, pretty clearly is Daddorf

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Reminder that Skyward Sword ends with Fi sealing the remains of Demise's consciousness within the Master Sword. So the master sword being that hosed might be an even bigger problem.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Reminder that Skyward Sword ends with Fi sealing the remains of Demise's consciousness within the Master Sword. So the master sword being that hosed might be an even bigger problem.

And Zelda mentions she can still hear Fi in BotW so they definitely might be bringing that back.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope TotK is revealed as a Skyward Sword prequel, it’s all a loop(that makes no sense), and people finally shut up about the timeline(this will never happen)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zore posted:

And Zelda mentions she can still hear Fi in BotW so they definitely might be bringing that back.

When was that? It's not ringing a bell for me at all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IMO Fi should stop complaining, because this is what she signed up for

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Zelda talks about being able to hear the voice of the Master Sword speak to her in the cutscene where she talks to the Deku Tree and puts the sword there, and mentions in the 'true' ending if you have all the memories that she can no longer hear the sword's voice. Presumably Fi led her to put the sword in the Deku Tree's care during Link's sleep.

"I can no longer hear the voice inside the Sword. I suppose it would make sense if my power had dwindled over the past 100 years... I'm surprised to admit it... But I can accept that." - is her line in the ending.

Zore fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 14, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zore posted:

That's all in the Hyrule Historia.

And don't worry there are 3 divergent timelines from OoT

Wait, so in OG Legend of Zelda the kingdom just fell to poo poo on it's own eventually?

Sorta funny.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Honestly, that red haired mural guy has been bugging me in the back of my mind since that game came out.

hatty posted:

Yeah the hair is red and skin is greenish, pretty clearly is Daddorf

Counterpoint; it's this guy.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bleck posted:

Counterpoint; it's this guy.

Of course, the thing that is neither red NOR green!

e: okay there's some greenish elements to the design, I'll be fair, but it's hardly predominant

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The most meaningful Fi reference in BotW is actually in the final memory, and it's really touching so I'm spoiling it just in case. It's when Link ostensibly dies. Zelda is mourning him, and then the Master Sword starts glowing and making Fi noises and Zelda responds to it as if it were talking to her: "The sword...? So he can... he can still be saved?" and that's actually why she brings Link to the shrine of resurrection. Fi still has our back no matter how many ages it's been :unsmith:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

One of the flashbacks has Zelda talking about the legends mentioning a voice being within the sword, and asking if Link can hear it. Then in the flashback of Link getting wounded the sword starts flashing and chirping at Zelda which prompts her to send him to the Shrine of Resurrection, and the final memory of her placing it in the pedestal she says it's spoke to her.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

also this is unrelated but i would like to thank whoever posted about Ship of Harkinian the other day, it rules. Can't wait until they manage to get MM to run on this thing

It's so cool all the options. Even the goofy cheats, I had a lot of fun making big and tiny sword link or doing big head mode. Plus rainbow tunics. Or even using adult items and vice versa, I beat a lot of the shadow temple as young link.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At 1:40, when Link is riding that disc with the blue light, it sounds like it's saying "the future". I haven't seen anyone else mention this, so maybe I just have a brain tumor or something.

Also, it would be really cool if the game is split into playing in two timelines. One back in the Zonai times and one in the modern time post BotW.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

Eh, it might or might not have been Link but they definitely made the mission log drier and removed a lot of the fluff from it even if it was supposed to be an omniscient narrator.

If it was overblown then my b. I just like reading little tidbits of personality building and the like and was kinda bummed at the time as I assumed it was like the piklopedia in world building

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks all, I looked those memories up and I can remember them now, but they just didn't stick in my mind for some reason. Maybe I forgot Skyward Sword existed in the meantime? :iiam:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Everyone's so excited for Ganondorf to turn out to be a good guy and I feel like I'm the only one who wants the villainous, scenery chewing Ganondorf from Wind Waker and (to a slightly lesser degree) Twilight Princess. Ganondorf (proper, as in not a techno-horror/angry screaming pig malice ghost) hasn't been the villain of a 3D Zelda for over 16 years. It's been too long!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

wait are thunderstorms back

can i give my forces metal items and watch them run in and get zapped

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1646676756122705922

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

e: f

In case there was any doubt, Matt Mercer is confirmed to be voicing Ganondorf

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1646676756122705922

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It wouldn't be the first time