Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Slava Ukraïni

I didn’t give you permission to reveal his name.:argh:

Thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Majorian posted:

Also my son was born yesterday and he’s very cute.:3: I know that he’s mine because he burps and farts exactly as much as I do.

Congratulations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is he named vladimir or volodomyr

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Stay safe. Putin is ready, just give me the password and the boat will be on the dock tomorrow.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

thank god ur safe mlmp

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

thank god ur safe mlmp

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Nonsense posted:

The first fighter ever shot down was with a rifle.

wwhoa https://www.twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1566828796950478851

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Majorian posted:

Also my son was born yesterday and he’s very cute.:3: I know that he’s mine because he burps and farts exactly as much as I do.

nice!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

It’s like poetry, it rhymes.

*insert modern nazis uniromnically complaining that they feel as persecutred as jews*

Also of course Dreyfus was not actually a spy but only spuriously accused while this anti-semite gamer most certainly said what he said and posted what he posted.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Apr 14, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A giant image post of MGs in the direct role. RIP mobile users, I didn't feel like formatting all the text:

Gatling

Vickers (including in Korea)

MG 08

M1917 and M1919

M2 (M16 is the quad mount I think)

M60

FN MAG

FN Minimi (!)

You could, very briefly, buy the good rifles, Diemaco stamp and all.
[timg]https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Diemaco.jpg[/itmg]

They even had a limited run with the green furniture of the military issued ones. I was hemming and hawing buying one when they all sold out.
Then an RCMP informant committed a mass shooting and now they're all prohibited.

The long barrel on the commercial C8 was to avoid being prohibited due to barrel length.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Vyacheslav, Crusher of the Bashkorts.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slavvy posted:

maybe a z-name... z letter names up 4.4% last year.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Don't name them after posters, as tempting as it might seem... The joke won't be as funny in 2055.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Majorian posted:

Great news on a Thursday evening! Congratulations Majorian!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

An air national guard private having these materials is pretty loving tenuous don't you think?

Also congrats Majorian.

The Germans did have a heavy machine gun, the 13mm MG 131, they just didn't have a place for it in their doctrine.

"It was one of the smallest, if not the smallest, among the heavy machine guns of that conflict, with a weight of 16.6 kilograms (37 lb,) less than 60% of the M2 Browning or the Breda-SAFAT machine gun. Despite this, the MG 131 was a rapid fire weapon with an elevated firepower for its mass. "

e: If, and how often, the MG 131 was used in the ground role is an internet rabbit hole if you're interested.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Apr 14, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Congrats, Majorian. Remember it's never too early to put your son and yourself to sleep by reading Capital.

Edit: or FF's posts gotem

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Something I have always been interested to learn more about is WW2 era artillery that could also be used for direct fire.

To start off, what actually was the doctrinal purpose of the Nazi 75mm and 150mm Infantry Guns? They were obviously not designed with AT warfare in mind but where still not considered "real" artillery? Certainly if you just look at a 15cm Infanteriegeschütz you can tell it is not designed for long-range fire...

The other side of this question is the SU-76, which for example many games have designated as either an anti-tank piece (or assault gun) or as a mobile artillery piece, with little comrpomise.

Basically, there seems as like WW2 had an entire category of gunnery that was equppied for both direct and indirect fire, that tends to get forgotten, partially because the overwhelming impact of artillery overall in WW2 gets forgotten for tanks nd planes...

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Apr 14, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

An air national guard private having these materials is pretty loving tenuous don't you think?

All I know is it sounds like information access and security was wild west.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Thanks everyone!

Hope the baptism at the local Russian orthodox church goes very well too. All the best and sorry about your imminent loss of sleep the next couple years!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

поздравляю majorian

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
congrats majorian is your baby bigger than zelensky yet

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

crepeface posted:

congrats majorian is your baby bigger than zelensky yet

22 inches, so yes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Hope the baptism at the local Russian orthodox church goes very well too. All the best and sorry about your imminent loss of sleep the next couple years!

The good news is I’m a chronic insomniac so I ain’t losing poo poo.:shepicide:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching Hotel Mumbai last night and sure enough there was Jason Isaacs somehow playing yet another Russian.

Funny coincidence.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Majorian posted:

grats

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was watching Hotel Mumbai last night and sure enough there was Jason Isaacs somehow playing yet another Russian.

Funny coincidence.

He also played a sort of dream sequence version of Peter the Great in “The Great,” which is a show that had some potential and then totally squandered it, sadly.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

congratulations Majorian :)

so when is Minorian getting his first account?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

congrats Majorian! glad you’re not a mod anymore so I can think of you fondly and be earnestly happy for you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Funny coincidence.

thats the 26/11 terror attack movie right? I saw the fidayeen get yeeted out of the ground floor window in front of cameras live on TV.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Majorian posted:

So did you name him Volodymyr?

edit : aw poo poo someone already made that joke
edit 2 : is SA modship hereditary?

January 6 Survivor has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Apr 14, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

All anarchists are feds.

Look, it's simple. Your goal is to "destroy all the governments." What's the best way to do this?

Obviously it is to support the US, the country with the world's most powerful military. Once it has destroyed all the other governments, you can then take care of it last.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/13/ukrainian-orchestra-key-members-refused-visas-play-uk

The western betrayals keep coming

quote:

Key members of a Ukrainian state orchestra were refused visas to play a series of concerts in the UK this month in a “catastrophe” that the promoter claims cost it more than €100,000 (£88,000).

The Khmelnitsky Orchestra was due to tour the UK this month with two shows: The Magical Music of Harry Potter, and The Music From the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Rings of Power.

The shows had been promoted on the UK government website as an example of British-Ukrainian relations. After the orchestra played the Harry Potter show in Belgium last year, the deputy British ambassador in Brussels, Chloe Louter, hailed it as “an incredible honour to have such an iconic part of British culture being performed by a Ukrainian orchestra”.

The Ukrainian orchestra was supposed to begin its UK tour with a show in Portsmouth on 1 April. But a day before, key members, including the conductor and four first violins, had still not received visas.

They ended up stuck in Paris for a week, waiting for the British embassy to issue visas. Two days after the tour was due to start, they were told they needed to pay €15,000 for emergency visas.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Something I have always been interested to learn more about is WW2 era artillery that could also be used for direct fire.

To start off, what actually was the doctrinal purpose of the Nazi 75mm and 150mm Infantry Guns? They were obviously not designed with AT warfare in mind but where still not considered "real" artillery? Certainly if you just look at a 15cm Infanteriegeschütz you can tell it is not designed for long-range fire...

The other side of this question is the SU-76, which for example many games have designated as either an anti-tank piece (or assault gun) or as a mobile artillery piece, with little comrpomise.

Basically, there seems as like WW2 had an entire category of gunnery that was equppied for both direct and indirect fire, that tends to get forgotten, partially because the overwhelming impact of artillery overall in WW2 gets forgotten for tanks nd planes...

Sometimes there's some guys in a building or whatever and you can wait around hoping to get some artillery support at some point that may or may not do the trick, or you can have your guys wheel forward the 75 and make the problem go away right now.

Su76 and stug III are just that idea but self propelled and with armor protection; the stug was only ever issued to infantry units as an assault fire support vehicle and fighting tanks was just a bonus.

You can still see this today with the way ATGM's are being used to blast holes in buildings in Ukraine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Slavvy's right: the notion derives from the concept of an "infantry gun" - a gun that the infantry hauls around when they need to blow something up that isn't a tank, but can't be shot at with small arms, and can't be approached closely. Like a house.

You make it small and simple because you don't need it to be as long-ranged as a full-on artillery piece.

The "assault gun", as the Germans called their Stugs, is wrapping an infantry gun around some tracks for mobility, and around some armor so the crew can withstand small arms fire coming from the house that they're trying to blow up.

A gun that isn't explicitly designed to be a "tank destroyer", will end up being pressed into that role anyway, because a sufficiently large gun can still blow up a tank given the right conditions (i.e. the range is low enough)

Converselt, a gun that IS supposed to be a tank destroyer, will end up being pressed into the infantry gun role if there are no tanks to shoot at, as American TDs regularly were.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Majorian posted:

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations on your new orcling!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also worth noting, in case it gets confusing, that this is one of the roles a tank is supposed to do, but not the only one. So tanks have to have their own separate doctrine and unit structure and training etc. A stug really only has one job so it can just fit right into an infantry unit like any other piece of hardware.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1646563894448488470?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

waiting for ukraines victory like i wait for half life 3