Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Caidin posted:

Wait, so in OG Legend of Zelda the kingdom just fell to poo poo on it's own eventually?

Sorta funny.

iirc it's because the Zelda 2 backstory marked the end of competent rule assisted by the Triforce, which isn't complete again until Link reacquires the Triforce of Courage in Z2 itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

e: f

In case there was any doubt, Matt Mercer is confirmed to be voicing Ganondorf

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1646676756122705922
https://twitter.com/AlannaMode/status/1646680057505619975

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont think that meme works. nintendo is just saying matt mercer is ganondorf but the implication is theyre trying to hide something

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

I don't know what a Matt Mercer is but the bit you hear in the trailer of ganondorf seemed good.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont think that meme works. nintendo is just saying matt mercer is ganondorf but the implication is theyre trying to hide something

the joke is that Matt Mercer is one of the most recognizable voices in the industry, so it's not as though it were a big secret

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

incorporeal posted:

I don't know what a Matt Mercer is but the bit you hear in the trailer of ganondorf seemed good.
He also plays Chrom Fireemblem.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the joke is that Matt Mercer is one of the most recognizable voices in the industry, so it's not as though it were a big secret

i understand but the meme doesnt parse

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Super No Vacancy posted:

i understand but the meme doesnt parse

It became apparent that Matt Mercer was Ganondorf's voice actor two months ago with the previous trailer, but they didn't announce it until after this trailer (though that now seems likely that they didn't want to show off Ganondorf in detail until now) so it was as if they were trying to hide it last time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yes but in the meme theyre saying "two months ago we were all like this:" *a picture of nintendo saying matt mercer is ganondorf*

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/strongbadegirl/status/1646524971647377409?s=46&t=-3btIhdWFD5M3u9M3Xo4WQ

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this for example would make more sense

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what if ganondorf was a girl

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

this for example would make more sense

no it doesn't

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RatHat posted:

It’s (huge art book spoilers)Rauru, the same name as the sage of light in OoT(he was also the owl). We don’t know whether it’s actually the same character but it’d be weird if they don’t at least have some connection
Apparently that's perhaps not quite right. That is to say, the name is in the art book, but that character is wearing a distinctly different symbol on the necklace than the one seen on the character talking to Zelda in the trailer. So there might be another?

An image to as visual aid to the huge art book spoilers.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

a.lo posted:

Would probably look like his mom

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Ganondorf is the smoothie.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do you get your hair like that hot and cold mom

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he's the smoothie?????

Daner T
Dec 24, 2004

Bleck posted:

Counterpoint; it's this guy.

Is this guy Zonai or related to the Sheikah? It looks like he has a closed third eye on his forehead with the 3 lashes and the drop on his nose looks like it would be the tear drop we see the sheikah wear.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Daner T posted:

Is this guy Zonai or related to the Sheikah? It looks like he has a closed third eye on his forehead with the 3 lashes and the drop on his nose looks like it would be the tear drop we see the sheikah wear.

:shrug:

Maybe some precursor race the ancestral Shiekah borrowed iconography from? Maybe it's some Lemurian lizard-people Annunaki deal? Who knows, we'll find out in a month

e: bet the Lizalfos are pissed that there's a different reptilian race that's actually important to the grander scheme of things. They tried their best, they had armies and declared war on the Zora and poo poo, but nope, they're just the annoying henchmen lizard people, not the antediluvian sages that people theorycraft about

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 14, 2023

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
that was a banger of a trailer... didn't quite hit the same as the original botw but gd that'll do.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Yeah bc in the show Carly was like "whatcha got there?" when her brother whose name I forgot walks in with an ostrich and holding a smoothie and he's like "um... a smoothie" and he's pretending the ostrich isn't even there with him

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Ganondorf is cool and all, but all i wanna know is if the lonely archery shop lady finally found someone.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Deki posted:

Ganondorf is cool and all, but all i wanna know is if the lonely archery shop lady finally found someone.

Sure she did, Ganondorf

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like the guy in that tv spot panickedly shouting "bokoblin!" and the girl who's very excited about figuring out they need to attach a fourth fan to a platform which already has three.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Daner T posted:

my speculation is that the Zonai were like the Sheikah in the 10,000 years ago war, creating tech, keeping divine secrets, serving the royal family etc. This is the tech the Sheikah later unearthed and adapted in the 100 year ago war - also the same tech Ganon took over super easily

so it may be the Zonai are the precursors to the Sheikah. Maybe they're corrupted now and serving Ganondorf in a similar role the Sheikah serve for Link and Zelda. or it may be nothing.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Any idea if this is set after Breath of the Wild or is it like the other Zeldas where it doesn’t matter / is another timeline / whatever.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Any idea if this is set after Breath of the Wild or is it like the other Zeldas where it doesn’t matter / is another timeline / whatever.

It is a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
whenever, wherever
we're meant to legend together
i'll be there, and you'll be zeldear

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Bleck posted:

It is a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild.

Awesome. Thanks!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

my speculation is that the Zonai were like the Sheikah in the 10,000 years ago war, creating tech, keeping divine secrets, serving the royal family etc. This is the tech the Sheikah later unearthed and adapted in the 100 year ago war - also the same tech Ganon took over super easily

so it may be the Zonai are the precursors to the Sheikah. Maybe they're corrupted now and serving Ganondorf in a similar role the Sheikah serve for Link and Zelda. or it may be nothing.

By this understanding the Sheikah never "created tech, kept secrets, etc" though; you're proposing that the Zonai actually created the tech and the Sheikah didn't really do much of anything until they unearthed it before the 100 years ago war.

In BotW you're told that ancient Sheikah created the tech (guardians, towers, divine beasts, etc), and this seems plausible given we've seen Zonai tech and it looks pretty different (somewhat similar, but still obviously different, so I don't think stuff like guardians was directly created by the Zonai). But it also seems like that tapestry is not showing Link/Zelda, so I'm not sure what the explanation will end up being (but I'm curious to find out).

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Daner T posted:

I'm guessing they're a Zonai, because of the similar colour scheme (green and yellow) and also their spiral hair band things being evocative of the Zonai symbol.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this trailer's much wilder than any of the botw trailers

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't wait for the 1 hour analysis video(unironically)

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

lih posted:

this trailer's much wilder than any of the botw trailers

It's neat to rewatch the epic BotW trailer because it's actually extremely similar to this one in terms of structure and flow, it's just that the TotK one is cranked up to 11 once it reaches the feature and story montage

The BotW trailer is luxuriating in sweeping vistas for a long time, while TotK is just like "ok, that's enough of that. We all know why we're here, let's get crazy"

it's the perfect way to make a sequel trailer

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

It's neat to rewatch the epic BotW trailer because it's actually extremely similar to this one in terms of structure and flow, it's just that the TotK one is cranked up to 11 once it reaches the feature and story montage

That's why I think the "Link, please find me" at the end isn't as plot important as people are making it out to be. In the BoTW trailer that was where the "Open your eyes" was, so I think finding Zelda might only be the point of the tutorial area.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

:shrug:

Maybe some precursor race the ancestral Shiekah borrowed iconography from? Maybe it's some Lemurian lizard-people Annunaki deal? Who knows, we'll find out in a month

e: bet the Lizalfos are pissed that there's a different reptilian race that's actually important to the grander scheme of things. They tried their best, they had armies and declared war on the Zora and poo poo, but nope, they're just the annoying henchmen lizard people, not the antediluvian sages that people theorycraft about

nah it's just video game dimorphism and this is the first female lizalfos we've ever seen

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

a.lo posted:

Ganondorfle

No. Wait.

Ganondosette

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
There’s a shot of Link standing in a pristine Sanctum 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

a.lo posted:

In German, it’s das Dorf, so it’s neuter. Guess Nintendo has always been woke with their genderless characters