Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

What goes in a good archive? I can renovate my site with something better, I was going to add a drop down for prologue, and then Act 1, but other than that, what's good to put in there?

Yeah, what catcrimes said, chapter markers are probably the least effort, most improvement option. Obviously fully transcribed and searchable with character tags is the gold standard, but that's a lot more work.

Consider Swords, a webcomic that does this quite well:
https://swordscomic.com/comic/DCCXVI/
It's even got location tags, that's dedication. I bet the author is beginning to regret the Roman numbering system, though.

Anyway, it's easier than I thought to prepare a comics post on my laptop and I've got some time this morning, so:

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 6th Night: Seared Mackerel

Wakako-Zake 7th Night: Zaru-doufu (Basket tofu)

Tofu is an unfairly maligned foodstuff, I've often thought.

Emzedoh posted:

End of chapter 12.

Mysteriously, instead of being divided into 4 chapters and a bonus like all the other volumes, volume 3 has 3 full length chapters and four bonus chapters, three of which are much longer than usual. I guess the author had gotten tired with all the plot advancement lately and needed some slice of life nonsense to recharge. Anyway, I had prepared the first bonus, 12.5, but forgot to upload it. Rather than download it again, I figured it would be more efficient to jump ahead to the next bonus chapter:

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance chapter 12.6: The Cat Incident

A bit longer than usual, but I had to get page 8 in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Being a bit glib, but I read SD because of these two pages.

Tenebrais posted:

Sleepless Domain

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fritz posted:

Sweetrock

Man, at this point I’ve seen so many variations on this type of comic, where there’s a big monster but oh actually she’s very nice and also maybe a lesbian, that I’ve just grown bored of it. It was novel once, but it isn’t any more.

Van von Hunter

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I read Sleepless Domain because of Magical Girl Hard Edge.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

All this talk of webcomics with long term stories reminds me of Poppy O'Possum. I miss Poppy O'Possum.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Overcompensating

Their shirts are high quality and last forever

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Emzedoh posted:

Yeah, what catcrimes said, chapter markers are probably the least effort, most improvement option. Obviously fully transcribed and searchable with character tags is the gold standard, but that's a lot more work.

I have a guy on fiverr I pay to transcribe my comics, but I normally do them all in big batches, then when I refactor my website I lose the originals.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

One notable success in long webcomics, and also an example of something that absolutely shouldn't be good but is, is Dr McNinja. That just kept on getting better over time, and then wrapped up with a satisfying finale.

L.A.I.D.A.D.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I love forever comics, and short comics, and those inbetween. I work on all of them and I love variety.

There's nothing like the sense of accomplishment from finishing a comic, though with super long webcomics it feels so empty to come to the end of a decade-long stint, event if youre moving on to other things

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

I have a guy on fiverr I pay to transcribe my comics, but I normally do them all in big batches, then when I refactor my website I lose the originals.

Good on you!

Mx. posted:

I love forever comics, and short comics, and those inbetween. I work on all of them and I love variety.

There's nothing like the sense of accomplishment from finishing a comic, though with super long webcomics it feels so empty to come to the end of a decade-long stint, event if youre moving on to other things

:same:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

All this talk of webcomics with long term stories reminds me of Poppy O'Possum. I miss Poppy O'Possum.

I just remembered, the author did actually lay out where they were planning to go with some of the plot threads they'd been dutifully foreshadowing:

https://twitter.com/HgMorbi/status/1205246100942118912

More in thread.

There might be more beyond that, but since it's on Twitter finding it is really hard!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Tall Penguin

Is there any background info to Tall Penguin? I've gotten some laughs out of its general weirdness, but I haven't figured out whether there's anything going on more than that.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Is there any background info to Tall Penguin? I've gotten some laughs out of its general weirdness, but I haven't figured out whether there's anything going on more than that.

It's one of those "artist posts this to their various social media accounts every once in a while" comics. Said artist being Adam Muto of Adventure Time fame (was involved in the show's early development, storyboarded on the first few seasons, served as a director during season 4 and early to mid season 5, then took over as showrunner when Pen Ward stepped away from the show)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

RICE BOY

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Art imitates better art?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Art imitates better art?

no loving way, that's not about to happen.

2023 is wild.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ultrafilter posted:

Art imitates better art?

AT LAST, DILBERT CAN SAY SWEARS, MY PRAYERS ARE ANSWERED :swoon:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

do the i <3 oil strip scott you coward

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
My personal bad webcomic list must include Sinfest

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #14, Part 2

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #15, Part 1

Next part: more park antics, more Daphne

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Art imitates better art?

oh my god, scott adams vs powerup let's loving go

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Art imitates better art?

Totally not mad.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

YES

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

thanks everyone who participated in comics chat today

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm looking forward to Powerup adding Gamer Gamer Dilber to its cast

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Chainclaw posted:

I don't get the clown angle to Clown Corps. It feels like a weird stand-in for super heroes, but not super well done. It doesn't do a lot with them being clowns, the comic feels like it would barely change if none of them were wearing clown makeup.

edit: I love the look of the comic and I like reading it, it's just I don't get the clown part.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Brawl in the Family

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: The border between the Shade and Sunside of Throne is stuck in eternal twilight, a sort of perpetual dusk.

quote:

“O God of the Quad Roads,
She of Many Flowers, who descendeth upon the spear,
O Pravi, the Torn one, with thy exquisite scalp,
Bless this earthly passage.”

– Invocation of the Torn Goddess

Alt: Fate

quote:

5. Violence is circular. Perception is not circular and lacks flawlessness- therefore, rejoice in imperfect things, for their rareness is not lacking!
6. Love of self is the true exercise of the God called I.
7. Only an idiot cannot place his absolute certainty in paradoxes. The divine suicide is a perfect paradox. A man cannot exist without paradox – that is the full of it.

-Psalms, Book I (ROYALTY)

Alt: Resplendent incadescence

Awright, on to Book 4 which will be moving from a heist to a tournament arc (sort of)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
White Chain is so good.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Y
E
M

Unfinished: need to draw angry people in the background.

Two early pictures depicting Flip's confrontation with Yem. Flip will reveal that he understands how Yem's manipulation works.

Very early painting showing Yem getting angry.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rust Martialis posted:

My personal bad webcomic list must include Sinfest

Sinfest is a terrifying story of a person succumbing to psychopathic brain worms.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dicebox

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

When I started drawing this it was just gonna be a dumb throwaway doodle, but then I got more ideas and it ended up being a comic instead of just a pic hope yall think it's half as funny as i do cuz i, embarassingly enough, am pretty proud of it.

unnamed original magical girl do not steal's design- overall kind of a goth Ursula. The dress itself invokes octopus arms, and while she's very pale she's not base white. I wanted that theme for a character to reflect both death (skulls and guts/goth) and the sea (FISH guts/color palette) as a reason why she would thematically be interested in the plot point.

made myself laugh with the fake tag line for the ConAir DVD "Crime Flies". the thing saying Me Hungry! is a Furby. i guess some younger people might not know what that is. or maybe they're still popular i havent watched kid's TV much in the past 25 years.

pretty satisfied with the recreation of HP's hair. Undine's was too blobby and free form so I just did whatever.

bottom panel was originally gonna be a jab about how they often do that dumb anime face all the time but it ended up being closer to looking like new Nancy and now I like it

no background cuz im lazy

anyway i had a lot of fun drawing this and the good feelings will probably carry over to me liking the comic itself more too. unless it does some really dumb stuff to make me not like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having to make casual conversation with an devil and an angel, I don't envy Allison.

Samovar posted:

Sinfest is a terrifying story of a person succumbing to psychopathic brain worms.

Honestly if you know what to look for you can see it from the start. A lot makes sense when you realise the author is at least a decade older than you assume he should be, and a Male Feminist with capital letters.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Demon
Chapter 13.03

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mr boop returns, in... mr boop

mr boop
book 2, 53-55
https://mrboop.net/

you had forming, you can handle this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Would doing the trinity count as a foursome? :thunk: *ticks "commit weird blasphemy* off my daily chores list*