Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

spacejung posted:

Without having followed ROY closely I had just assumed J-Dub was the guy, he was getting mad props on all the networks during the final stretch. Slow start I guess?

J-Dub is a third wheel at best next to two of the better passers and shot creators in the league. Paulo was the #1 option where he didn't even have a G-league tier point guard until like January and still no shooting on the entire roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Paolo Banchero has a five tool name. Jalen Williams might as well be a paint store.
Case closed.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is Jalen (and similar variants) the most common first name in the NBA now?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

J-Dub is a third wheel at best next to two of the better passers and shot creators in the league. Paulo was the #1 option where he didn't even have a G-league tier point guard until like January and still no shooting on the entire roster.

I think Paolo should win the award but why should jdub being on a better team matter? If chet played and had a stellar season should he have been punished for it too?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.nba.com/news/film-study-key-plays-actions-2023-playoffs

Jon schumann writing about key plays to watch for in the playoffs. He does not get enough exposure I think half way because it’s hard to click through to his stuff on the NBA website

Basketball writing About basketball, not drama, not transactions, not awards voting and what dark villainy of the psyche it reveals

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Metapod posted:

I think Paolo should win the award but why should jdub being on a better team matter? If chet played and had a stellar season should he have been punished for it too?

it's being the third guy imo. his usage is down almost 10%

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
fwiw Zack Lowe made a pretty good point the other day when he asked what Jalen WIlliams was doing the first third of the season when Paolo was dropping 20 a game like clockwork w associated wear & tear while carrying the scoring load for the Magic in ways Williams wasn't asked to do. They're both deserving but I get that argument.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Early season magic roster was like:

-Paolo
-Bol Bol (Yes he was starting)
-Wendel Carter
-Jalen Suggs
-Franz Wagner

Fultz and Harris weren't even healthy at this point

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zogo posted:

A new level of shook.

Many years ago when it came out that Rafael Palmeiro used stanozolol he was getting booed and heckled mercilessly. So he started wearing earplugs during each AB. The Heat could wear earplugs on Friday night.

Diar's gonna be a healthy scratch for Friday night, which is smart, you want the DPOY to have their bedtime so they're well rested for the playoffs.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Blind Pineapple posted:

Is Jalen (and similar variants) the most common first name in the NBA now?
Yeah, just a common name now. idk if it was here or else where, but someone said okc has jdub, jwill, and so might as well have jgid.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 14, 2023

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

franz wagner is pretty good

i don't think it affects the case for roty, i just want people to acknowledge franz wagner

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

hifi posted:

it's being the third guy imo. his usage is down almost 10%

But why should a rookie be punished for just having better teammates. Like Jdub was given a role and played it incredibly well I don't see why his role is a disqualifier

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Also consider this:

https://twitter.com/BrandonRahbar/status/1640760399590031386?t=R587O8-Md39A81rjAKXjuw&s=19

He did kind of come back to earth the last few games of the year tho.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hrrrm is that okc rookie the first ever player whose efficiency goes up with usage or is that such a small sample that it doesnt mean anything at all. impossible to say one way or another

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The crazy thing about all the Jalens is that it starts with Rose, whose actual basketball legacy is being the second or third best guy on a famous college team and then having a pretty good but ultimately unremarkable career where he also gave up 81 to Kobe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I feel like Jalen Roses hairline moves down with each new J*l*n that enters the world of sports

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Go Kings

Go Knicks

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OH WORD SON posted:

Go Kings

Go Knicks

Yes.

No.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Henchman of Santa posted:

he also gave up 81 to Kobe.

Not to get into the weeds on this, but wasn't mo pete defending Kobe that game?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Vinestalk posted:

What do you think I'm qq'ing about? I'm a pistons fan that doesn't like either the bulls or the raptors.

It's weird that a national broadcast would put a 9yo kid on TV multiple times while they are doing something objectively annoying. If it had been any other kid then Derozan's, would they have put a camera on them? Is it smart to do so considering how psycho some sports fans are? Like look at those Reddit posts. But no, let's make a meme out of it.

:qq:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
The reason why narrative is the number one factor in these end of the year awards is because sportswriters are by and large lazy as all hell. I guarantee you the only reason it was as near to unanimous as it was is that a portion of the people who voted for Paolo did so because voting consensus means no one is going to ask you to show your work.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

dokmo posted:

Yeah that was mo pete, a rather bad defender trying to guard Kobe- their gameplan was to just not double and make it just be Kobe, so he obliged them.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

ChickenMedium posted:

The reason why narrative is the number one factor in these end of the year awards is because sportswriters are by and large lazy as all hell. I guarantee you the only reason it was as near to unanimous as it was is that a portion of the people who voted for Paolo did so because voting consensus means no one is going to ask you to show your work.

These dopes love showing their work. Being a main character with an unconventional but defensible take is guaranteed clicks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dokmo posted:

He was getting tripled and still knocking down jumpers, but yeah, Peterson was their SG

Every NBA great has that night where nothing short of tank artillery is stopping them from scoring, tack on the fact the Raptors were bad with a lovely coach and that Mo Pete was probably Toronto's only decent perimeter defender, plus Kobe is the definition of a gunner, and yeah, he dropped 81 and it could have been 100

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 14, 2023

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

ChickenMedium posted:

The reason why narrative matters is because the difference between some players is extremely fine and there’s no scientific way of proving “best” let alone “most valuable”

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there a consensus on what OKC should do with the huge amount of picks they have? Do they have the cap space to offer someone like, 4 1sts for a exceptional player

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think grown rear end fans screaming and flailing to distract a free thrower is annoying, it's refreshing to see it performed by someone more age appropriate (and who is clearly better at it than the middle aged men and women who make asses of themselves every game doing the same thing).

I apologize sir but you’re wrong. Diar owns but it would actually be even cooler if it was a grown adult woman wailing. true fandom. Sadly that kind of passion no longer exists in the world

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

dokmo posted:

Jalen infamously gets so upset about it though, so I had assumed it was him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jalen infamously gets so upset about it though, so I had assumed it was him.

Isn't his whole thing that they ran up the score? Kind of a silly statement (Toronto was ahead by 14 at the half) by Jalen if so

https://www.espn.com/nba/game/_/gameId/260122013

Toronto actually shot the ball well enough to win, too, 47/50/81

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 14, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there a consensus on what OKC should do with the huge amount of picks they have? Do they have the cap space to offer someone like, 4 1sts for a exceptional player

I mean at some point they have to poo poo or get off the pot, right? Assuming the goal isn't "be a rebuilding-to-middling playoff team for most of the rest of forever"

I'm a Thunder fan so mea culpa but I sure hope they decide to turn this hoard of picks into something soon

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Presti is good at drafting so maybe letting him have a bajilliion shots in the first round is a really good thing

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Presti is good at drafting so maybe letting him have a bajilliion shots in the first round is a really good thing

The problem is the roster slots. They'll have to start cutting/trading/otherwise-dumping players real soon.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

The totality of Presti's draft resume is quite good but also I can't ever get over the Cole Aldrich stink

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress to Miami Heat!!!!!!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Okc is going to do whatever presti decides he wants to do the consensus means nothing to him or the organization so the consensus should be let presti cook.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

The jdub jwill situation is not confusing at all when you have announcers who don't act all confused at 2 guys having the same name. Giddey was the youngest player on the court I think he'll be fine improving with the team
I saw Poku didn't play and was listed with a knee injury. is he still hurt/working his way back or is he just not worth using now that they have Jay Will entrenched in the rotation?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2023

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I saw Poku didn't play and was listed with a knee injury. is he still hurt/working his way back or is he just not with using now that they have Jay Will entrenched in the rotation?

Poku had a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture earlier this season. He came back a couple weeks ago but did not look physically ready to play. Like he did some good work in the gleague but he looked slow even in them.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Thunder were so disciplined in that Pelicans game, it really convinced me that Daigneault knows what's up.

Of course every time I decide a coach is For Real Good it turns out that six months later his star player can't stand him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Metapod posted:

Poku had a non-displaced tibial plateau fracture earlier this season. He came back a couple weeks ago but did not look physically ready to play. Like he did some good work in the gleague but he looked slow even in them.
yeah I follow him a lot so I saw him work his way through a few weeks in the G-League and then get into some games for the Thunder so i was surprised to see this move in the opposite direction. I think you answered my question, and he's still not right (as opposed to just not being worth playing with jaywill there)

spacejung posted:

Without having followed ROY closely I had just assumed J-Dub was the guy, he was getting mad props on all the networks during the final stretch. Slow start I guess?

xbilkis posted:

Caring about one guy's reasonably considered hinky vote in a ROTY race that Banchero's going to run away with seems like a bad use of time
yeah it would be weirder imo if Banchero did get a unanimous sweep. Jalen Williams would be a valid vote as was Kessler. Not saying Paolo shouldn't be taking it with ease, or won't be the best NBA player, just who cares if it's unanimous, technically even Keegan would be a valid vote though I wouldn't vote for his roleplayer kind of game for ROY

Tae posted:

Shai missed quite a few games down the stretch (first because he wasn't ready for back-to-backs, thne he tweaked an ankle or something) and Jdub came up huge a lot of times

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The crazy thing about all the Jalens is that it starts with Rose, whose actual basketball legacy is being the second or third best guy on a famous college team and then having a pretty good but ultimately unremarkable career where he also gave up 81 to Kobe.
yeah there was a good story about it
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31309206/the-jalen-generation-how-jalen-rose-name-spread-world-sports