Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Finished up some Infiltrators.

Excuse the very non professional phone pic. I'm pretty happy how they came out for still being new to this.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

very nice, looking good!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

hell yes. love some fresh blood angels

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well after struggling through with various sundry craft-shop paintbrushes, some colours whose only paints were horrific Army Painter versions, and a plastic dish as a palette - I've finally ordered a wet palette, some Rosemary & Co brushes and backfilled the paints with some more Vallejo GameColor. In the past I made my own wet palette and it was OK, but this time around I kept mucking it up. Similarly, I used to have some WN Series 7 brushes but this time around I found they just kept fishtailing where the R&Co ones have been just fine.

Time for some goblin green base rims....

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

The shift from craft store paints and terrible brushes to actually good things feels incredible. It's why I'll never recommend starting "cheap" in the hobby. Sure, don't go for the best possible things you can, but at least spend enough on serviceable tools.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Are metallic paints and washes ok on good brushes? I’ve heard that they shouldn’t be used on any brush you don’t want to ruin in a hurry. Using cheap brushes now but kinda want to get some R&C brushes that are so highly recommended.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I picked up the Green Stuff World drybrush set and they have made a world of difference. Stiff but soft, round but not flared like a makeup brush. Well worth it in my opinion.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Axetrain posted:

Are metallic paints and washes ok on good brushes? I’ve heard that they shouldn’t be used on any brush you don’t want to ruin in a hurry. Using cheap brushes now but kinda want to get some R&C brushes that are so highly recommended.

I don't recommend metallics and washes on the good brushes. Unless you have a "good" brush that's just for that task and you know you're going to destroy it. For some people, when a fancy brush starts to die out they retire it by using it for metallics/washes.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I guess it depends on how diligent you are about keeping the brush clean during use. The main reason why washes wreck brushes is that they have low surface tension, which means that they flow right up into the ferrule - much faster than normal paints, even glazes. If you wash your brush thoroughly immediately after using a wash with brush soap, it should be fine. But up to you if you want to risk it. I do it sometimes, with no ill effects.

Metallics are a no-no on any natural brushes, the mica flakes are like little razors that will gently caress up your bristles.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

My next project is probably going to be some Skaven, so some tactical rock piles and the occasional bricked floor are probably what I'm looking for. Any particular sellers you'd recommend?

----

Meanwhile, a dragon.

He's pretty big.

I'm really glad I did this with an airbrush and oil washes, because I would have been here a lot longer picking out each one of those scales otherwise. This is the kit that finally made me give up and drybrush like crazy, and I'm pretty happy with that part. Not so much the gap filling that completely vanished. I dunno, he looks sufficiently different from the studio schemes that I'm happy with that part, but otherwise I'm kinda meh on the big goober now that I'm done with it. My biggest surprise is that I'm happier not pushing the wings any further - I think any more detailing or patterning and they'd be distracting.

I have had good luck with Forgotten Labyrinth on Etsy.
Here is a sewer set that might work for rats: https://www.etsy.com/listing/139756..._active_4&sts=1

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Average Traditional Games poster:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lamuella posted:

jaundiced and shredded

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted a rat ogre

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Painted a rat ogre

:captainpop:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Bit of an odd question - I want to finish up my RT/2nd Ed. space marine army from back in the day and I've forgotten what paint I used. I'm pretty sure the orange is Vallejo Hot Orange, which the dread is sporting - but the grey-blue is completely mystifying me. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm almost certain it's a regular Vallejo colour but I can't find anything in the colour chart that matches. The other half of the dread is painted in Sombre Grey (i.e. the old Citadel Shadow Grey - which I thought it was, but it's clearly not):

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lamuella posted:

I AM A MEAT BICYCLE

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Bit of an odd question - I want to finish up my RT/2nd Ed. space marine army from back in the day and I've forgotten what paint I used. I'm pretty sure the orange is Vallejo Hot Orange, which the dread is sporting - but the grey-blue is completely mystifying me. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm almost certain it's a regular Vallejo colour but I can't find anything in the colour chart that matches. The other half of the dread is painted in Sombre Grey (i.e. the old Citadel Shadow Grey - which I thought it was, but it's clearly not):

gently caress! this model had a tiny pinhole between the body and the arm (the body is hollow) and it has Dettol residue inside it and is slowly bleeding out onto the emergent paintjob - there's not much, but enough to wick into the detail and remain tacky. I've tried submerging in water and then drying on the radiator but with no luck so far. The leak seems to be on the grey/basecoated side so I don't mind if it needs a scrub with something - Rubbing Alchohol? Meths?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
My next marine will be a space wolf, followed by a blood angel, but I just can't stop thinking about painting raven guard- so much so that I ordered some greys and matte black paint from ScaleColor, on recommendation from a friend- I have an idea in my head on how I want them to look like, but I guess we'll see what happens when the paint arrives!

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Southern Heel posted:

gently caress! this model had a tiny pinhole between the body and the arm (the body is hollow) and it has Dettol residue inside it and is slowly bleeding out onto the emergent paintjob - there's not much, but enough to wick into the detail and remain tacky. I've tried submerging in water and then drying on the radiator but with no luck so far. The leak seems to be on the grey/basecoated side so I don't mind if it needs a scrub with something - Rubbing Alchohol? Meths?

Try to get it open to really clean it, acetone turns superglue to gum but i dont know how it reacts to detol, freezing it for a few days makes the glue brittle enough to break easily

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Finished my ghosts, posed them on my table with some of my terrain. This is the most effort I've put into bases too, actually painted the rim black for once!

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1645970725029683200

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Southern Heel posted:

Can you pop the arm off and stick a toothpick or similar into the hole with a piece of toilet paper or paper towel to absorb the liquid?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Are there there any extra considerations when paint stripping models with green stuff on them? Or are most of the usual options safe to use?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Are there there any extra considerations when paint stripping models with green stuff on them? Or are most of the usual options safe to use?

I don't know what the correct answer for doing it safely is, but I can at least confirm that Simple Green ruined the greenstuff on my last batch of marines to the point where it couldn't be saved. So, be careful.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Greenstuff is not glue so be prepared for it to fall off even if it's not attacked by the solvent.

Also posting some of my recent work

EBay rescue classic terminators for Space Hulk

Some boney bois

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EBay rescues getting a good paint job and home is always a feel good story- great work!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Sat down to start painting a space wolf yesterday, but after test painting a bit on an old backpack I decided I didn't have the colours I wanted for it, so instead I picked up a guy I hadn't even bothered removing mold lines on and decided to practice some highlighting and red armor

Was just gonna paint a couple of legs, but suddenly I'd spent most of the evening completely finishing the model. I was really surprised at how well the red turned out, and now I'm super excited to do my blood angel sergeant!

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Sigmargaritaville with my WIP Yndrasta. Still need to find some flamingos and other Caribbean set dressings but I'm really happy with the army so far.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Posigniat posted:

Sigmargaritaville with my WIP Yndrasta. Still need to find some flamingos and other Caribbean set dressings but I'm really happy with the army so far.

looks sick as hell but those wings look weirdly similar to a thing i 3d printed and painted for my girlfriend a few months back

e: okay not identical, just stylistically the same

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i usually print battletech minis and give them to a friend to paint but i painted this guy for another friend and i'm really proud of it

not for any game or anything, just a display piece

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Posigniat posted:

Please make an objective marker that is a shaker of salt. Maybe another that's a cheeseburger

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

looks sick as hell but those wings look weirdly similar to a thing i 3d printed and painted for my girlfriend a few months back

e: okay not identical, just stylistically the same

Oh man, those are crazy similar! I wonder if they pulled from the same artist.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Please make an objective marker that is a shaker of salt. Maybe another that's a cheeseburger

Hell yeah! A margarita, a palm tree with coconuts, a dude in a hawaiian shirt chilling on a lounge chair, a cheeseburger, a sand dollar and a salt shaker with lime

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Posigniat posted:

Hell yeah! A margarita, a palm tree with coconuts, a dude in a hawaiian shirt chilling on a lounge chair, a cheeseburger, a sand dollar and a salt shaker with lime

A dude just taking a nap in a beach chair with a hat over their face and sunburned but with a pale smiley face on their chest and stomach where someone drew it in sunscreen.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

A dude just taking a nap in a beach chair with a hat over their face and sunburned but with a pale smiley face on their chest and stomach where someone drew it in sunscreen.

You are literally an infinite well of inspiration

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Need casualty markers? Take some spare heads, put each one on a base and sculpt an embarrassing sand sculpture store and them.

The angrier the face, the more embarrassing the sand sculpture.

Also if you don't play against Idoneth, I'm gonna be pissed. :argh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I came up with the idea that I wanted to execute right away so I grabbed a box of Nids and painted one up. I wanted to make it look like a Green Spotted Puffer but in the end it looks more like Cell from DBZ.

One day I'll get better at water effects

e: just realized I didn't bother to edge highlight anything

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a Warhammer army painter in the Seattle area? I have say 250ish models, mostly middle hammer chaos dwarfs that need light cleaning and a paint job.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

I love those wings!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Am I correct that a bottle of Wraithbone can be used to base for Contrasts? I’m thinking about trying out the Plaguewalker and Biel Tan recipe

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eej posted:

I came up with the idea that I wanted to execute right away so I grabbed a box of Nids and painted one up. I wanted to make it look like a Green Spotted Puffer but in the end it looks more like Cell from DBZ.

One day I'll get better at water effects

e: just realized I didn't bother to edge highlight anything

I kinda love this! It is reminiscent of the old 90's nids, but reinterpreted though modern painting techniques. Post again after highlights.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

KingFisher posted:

Can anyone recommend a Warhammer army painter in the Seattle area? I have say 250ish models, mostly middle hammer chaos dwarfs that need light cleaning and a paint job.

Yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, you can do it op! Use this thread for advice and we can probably make a paint list