Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Maybe don't put the clamper motor in the exact spot the targets weapon will hit when you grab them. And if you do, protect it with more than a piece of sheet metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

End Game-Gigabyte: Man I expected Gigabyte to put up more of a fight. Just complete domination from End Game.

Vertical spinners are pretty much kryptonite for Gigabyte (and Shredderator). They are going to get hit and go flying and probably break.

PostNouveau posted:

Overhaul-Shreddit Bro: Good fight. I think the judges got it right but it was probably one of those 6-5 squeakers.

I was actually kind of surprised it was even a split decision. Overhaul dominated the early fight, but didn't get any damage. Halfway through Overhaul backs completely off and then Shreddit Bro pretty much completely controlled the last half of the fight.

PostNouveau posted:

Rotator-Fusion: lol when Fusion starts crabwalking and Rotator is just like "I'm gonna sit here for a few and watch it catch fire". Reese always has a Rodney Dangerfield routine ready except he always seemed to be actually bummed out when he loses.

Really laughed at Reese's, "A homeless guy stopped to give me money" joke in the post fight interview. I think if Emulsifier had beaten Quantum, Fusion could have an argument to get into the field of 32. But going 1-3 and only beating another 1-3 bot seems like a long shot.

PostNouveau posted:

Copperhead-Ripperoni: Oh man, one driving mistake by Copperhead and it's all over. I think they had the advantage weapon-on-weapon because Ripperoni always goes flying from direct hits, but Copperhead tried to run away to spin up, showed them their backside, and got mega-punished for it.

It's pretty interesting, obviously was a driving mistake. I think it's possible Copperhead didn't respect the Gyroscope on Ripperoni, as that is letting them turn and pursue bots better than other vertical spinners usually can.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
emulsifier v quantum had a good chuckle at chris' comment about his recurring dream

shreddit bro got their second win :smith: I like overhaul and shreddit bro but I feel like neither robot is ever going to win big

pizza v copperhead that was some real weird driving there, well done by the pizza to get in behind. nice to see a team that leans hard into their theme going big like that

I don't really like team whyachi robots but drat if reese doesn't have a hilarious immensely dry sense of humour

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've heard Reese's joke before enough that I should have seen it coming, but his delivery was so good I believed him right until the punchline.
Good episode. I think Terrortops could have a future. At least that general design anyway.
Disappointed in Copperhead. Should have just gone weapon on weapon and let the gods sort it out.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TomR posted:

Disappointed in Copperhead. Should have just gone weapon on weapon and let the gods sort it out.

I thought this too! You're like 90% weapon, why are you trying to get cute?!? Just go full rip & tear mode!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TomR posted:

For sure. Best way to beat pizza was the best way to beat Uppercut. Take it on the chin and hope to survive.

The flywheel helps it stabilize while driving but the physics still get really wonky when it's getting/delivering hits. If you can take a shot, you can start shoving it around. Gruff beat it without a real weapon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

For sure. Best way to beat pizza was the best way to beat Uppercut. Take it on the chin and hope to survive.

The flywheel helps it stabilize while driving but the physics still get really wonky when it's getting/delivering hits. If you can take a shot, you can start shoving it around. Gruff beat it without a real weapon.

Gruff beat them when the flywheel wasn't working properly though. Not a great comparison.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Gruff beat them when the flywheel wasn't working properly though. Not a great comparison.

It still happens in their other fights. They were just able to recover from it.

I'm not saying it's easy! It seems like they fixed Uppercut, basically.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's pretty interesting, obviously was a driving mistake. I think it's possible Copperhead didn't respect the Gyroscope on Ripperoni, as that is letting them turn and pursue bots better than other vertical spinners usually can.

Yeah, being able to quickly turn and still have your wedge in ground contact makes it a lot different to picking off the usual big verts. At least in theory, we'll see how well it works in the long term.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah I have to say Copperhead v Ripperoni was a catastrophic failure of tactics which Ripperoni were only too happy to take advantage of. Kudos also to their driver who is being absolutely underrated next to the bot, its his driving that is contributing to their success.

At this level, a good driver makes the difference. I'm not putting anyone down particularly, most losers this week were let down by their designs or luck. No denying Quantum earned its win though, that was solid, dogged driving tactics. And Terrortops figured out that if you attack your opponents wheels/treads, they become helpless, a vital lesson. I felt sorry for those Gigabyte boys, but that bot is a lemon, it's embarrassing at this point, showreel fodder for other bots. Just as embarrassing is Overhauls loss to Shreddit Bro, they had them and couldn't put them away. At least Reese had a good joke, I hope they make him a guest commentator.

edit: Oh I was forgetting Ribbot v Skorpios, another wheel-shredding driving tactic demonstration, there's an example in Skorpios of another team who is repeatedly not learning their lesson.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 15, 2023

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm really hoping we start a trend towards a speed meta. Quantum, Claw Viper, (Hypershock when Bales remembers to drive right) etc are giving us exciting and unrelenting fights.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So there is a lot of talk about 1-3 bots qualifying for the tournament in this last episode. There's 32 spots and 50 (?) bots in the field, so a few could get through. I was thinking about which ones are most likely to make it at this point. Here's all the bots at 1-3 as of this moment:

Captain Shedderator
Emulsifier
Free Shipping
Fusion
Gigabyte
Gruff
Overhaul
Ribbot

From that list, I'm only seeing Ribbot and Fusion as having a halfway decent chance, just based on the strength of their opponents and the quality of their losses.

I do wonder how much the selection committee is going to (well, did) actually review fight footage to selection bubble teams for the tournament. This topic is a perennial can of worms of things like college football and college basketball because it relies so much on human judgment with murky parameters. I could see the fresher memory of Overhaul's last fight influencing a selection committee that didn't just watch what a wet fart their prior two fights were. The timeframe also makes me wonder about the details of the selection process just because there is so little time between the end of the regular season and the tournament. College football in the US, for example, has several times over the course of a months-long season where they assess and reassess the teams in the field, and they can do that over many weeks. I just wonder if the selection committee for Battlebots is just given, like, one day (or even less) to hammer this out and fall victim to bias of recent matches.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

The timeframe also makes me wonder about the details of the selection process just because there is so little time between the end of the regular season and the tournament. College football in the US, for example, has several times over the course of a months-long season where they assess and reassess the teams in the field, and they can do that over many weeks. I just wonder if the selection committee for Battlebots is just given, like, one day (or even less) to hammer this out and fall victim to bias of recent matches.

I was also wondering where the economics intersects into this as well, there's obviously a ballpark figure for the size of the initial field so you get a full season but being able to sustain a competition is tough when there's a clear attrition rate and I don't mean merely the obvious result of a battle but over time, the superseding of design and strategy and tactics. And therefore the economic pressure to retain teams you are well aware cannot get anywhere in the competition but you cannot afford for them to not compete is a real pressure.

That's why organizations like NHRL are being encouraged to seed more and more new talent because the bigger the intake the better the chances there will be a healthy upper tier competition at the other end.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Big Dill is also a 1-3 bot and I could see them having an argument for getting in since they looked really good against Madcattar and Skorpios (before their battery died).

Additionally though, there are many bots that currently have 1-2 records going into their final fights the next 2 weeks. This is a list of those teams, along with 4 teams that are currently 0-3 with the *. Many of these teams will be part of the 1-3 record list. Blip, Glitch, & Tantrum likely will take the 1-3 spots in the field of 32.

Banshee
Blip
Glitch *
Hijinx
Horizon
Kraken *
Mammoth
Monsoon
Ominous
Shatter *
Starchild *
Tantrum
Triton
Valkyrie
Whiplash

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Blip glitch and tantrum stand a good shot, even if I don't like glitch.

Would love to se free shipping sneak in. I don't think it's a great robot but drat if Gary gin doesn't drive that thing like a maniac

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They might prefer bots that die in entertaining ways so I could see free shipping having a chance of getting in despite how ludicrous that appears on paper.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Skorpios / Ribbot aftermath...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF9iuyICXIM

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Valkyrie is doing worse for the same reason the pizza bot is doing well, isn't that the old driver behind the moustache?

I'd be interested to see team Whiplash run something like Terrortops as an alternate instead of whatever Defender was supposed to be. They'd be playing with adjustable forks, standoff lifter, and an entirely independent spinner. With their design/hardware chops and driving skill it feels like a real good fit.

Hell just let them guest-drive.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

I'm really confused by that video. He talks about the weapon slowing down "for some reason" and posts a photo of the fight where you can clearly see their chain has come off. Is he missing the blindingly obvious or is he just not explaining it correctly?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I'm really confused by that video. He talks about the weapon slowing down "for some reason" and posts a photo of the fight where you can clearly see their chain has come off. Is he missing the blindingly obvious or is he just not explaining it correctly?

It was slow before the belt came off. It just didn't work at all once the belt came off!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also it's fight card time! Next week is also the last before the tournament bracket is set!

Should be a good round of fights. Ominous is 1-2 vs Shatter at 0-3 (but with a strong schedule).

Triton vs Horizon, both bots are 1-2, probably a win and they are in the 32.

Mammoth is 1-2 & Kraken at 0-3 (but also a strong schedule).

Valkyrie is 1-2 & Glitch at 0-3. Another likely match where the team that wins will get in the 32.

Also take a shot every time they mention Black Dragon is trying to tie Bite Force's streak of not getting knocked out... :lol:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Here's hoping Black Dragon can outdrive Lynx Riptide and earn an upset.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Railing Kill posted:

Here's hoping Black Dragon can outdrive Lynx Riptide and earn an upset.

Please god

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I remember stumbling across Riptide being first built and tested on YouTube a while ago, and being interested to see the team move forward with getting accepted.

Now, I'm interested in seeing them getting shredded :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'd be interested in any robot getting shredded. That's the point of the show. :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

poo poo you've got me there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Huge-Starchild: For the first minute or so, it was like watching two city buses try to gently caress. Then it turned into the usual sad affair of Starchild getting slowly dismantled. Feel bad for that team.

Shatter-Ominous: Weird fight. I would have given it to Shatter too because they seemed to damage Ominous' drive and it was really ineffective after that.

They were implying Ominous might not be back, and I hope that's not the case. Omni-wheel bots are cool, and I think this design just needs a few tweaks to be viable. Mainly it needs more reach, you could see it all over this fight. Despite the drive problems, they were pointed in the right direction a lot of the time and the weapon just couldn't reach Shatter. Obviously the drive problems didn't help because they couldn't push the weapon forward into Shatter very well, but omni-wheels never seem to get much push anyway.

Triton-Horizon: Horizon reminds me a lot of Smeeeeeeeee, and I don't much care for either. Fusion is the only double-weapon bot I can recall off the top of my head that really looks effective, and I have no idea how they manage to fit them both in. I guess Rotator 1.0 looked alright at times.

Usually, dual-weapon bots just mean two weak-rear end weapons.

Bloodsport-Beta: Holy poo poo, Bloodsport has a real-time telemetry system? That is seriously cool and calls for a feature segment spotlight. I'd love to see what it looks like to monitor that thing in action.

Beta brings out the Floyd Mayweather hammer again, just looking to get points. It actually makes sense in this fight, though. Put all the weight into the wedge armor.

Bloodsport went into this being forced to play scissors against rock here. Not sure how they'd ever win this fight outside of random breakage inside Beta.

Mammoth-Kraken: Always funny to see Mammoth inside the test box where it's barely able to move.

This is a battle of two bots who only get invited back each season because of audience goodwill, not performance.

Probably the best performance from Mammoth since that Copperhead playoffs fight. Hard to agree with Chris' assessment that Kraken is "tough as nails" when it got all beat up by a bot that gives tiny little love taps.

Glitch-Valkyrie: Oh you gotta hit them in that situation. You can't start hanging back for a countout 5 seconds into a match. A KO like that is not worth anything to you with the selection committee; you have to make it clear YOU knocked them out.

Didn't even get the KO in the end. Of a bot that was barely moving the whole time.

Black Dragon-Riptide: I need an opposite version of :sickos:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

Bloodsport-Beta: Holy poo poo, Bloodsport has a real-time telemetry system? That is seriously cool and calls for a feature segment spotlight. I'd love to see what it looks like to monitor that thing in action.

IIRC There was a short segment with the Ribbot team talking about theirs in one of the past seasons. You can see it if you look at their controllers in recent episodes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

To Starchild's credit, it's a pretty cool looking robot

Ominous needs reach and some ability to push forward at all, most of the fight it just sort of sat that and hovered in front of Shatter

Riptide: he can't keep getting away with it

Also again what on earth are the editors doing with the pre-fight stuff lol, that cut to Florian lmao. They need a new lighting solution too :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Also again what on earth are the editors doing with the pre-fight stuff lol, that cut to Florian lmao.

Kenny looked like he was celebrating the holiday.

PostNouveau posted:

Black Dragon-Riptide: I need an opposite version of :sickos:

https://youtube.com/shorts/5EgKKUs-25I?feature=share

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 20, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I don't think I've ever actively despised a team as much as the Riptide team. There's been plenty of teams i n the past I disliked, but I really don't like them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yes, Ethan is absolutely the worst team captain for a dominate bot out there. Biteforce & Endgames captains they dominate the matched but they don't come off as full on douchebags...

Also from this bit they have Mike Jeffries writing a code of conduct ruleset for the next season, and I can't imagine it's for anyone other than Ethan. (Well unless there's some more tournament drama coming this year)

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 21, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also from this bit they have Mike Jeffries writing a code of conduct ruleset for the next season, and I can't imagine it's for anyone other than Ethan. (Well unless there's some more tournament drama coming this year)

I can't imagine they were happy about Minotaur having a spazz out in the playoffs last year either.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i dont want it to turn into the no fun league where people can't yell in triumph after a win. this shouldn't be golf. but my opinion to this is the same as other sports - i do not think there should really ever be immediate postgame reaction interviews. it doesn't really matter what it is - any competition is going to be hugely emotional and any athlete/competitor should get the leeway of having some time to compose themselves before a camera is shoved in their face.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I always have a little chuckle during the opening credits when they show the Colosseum at Caesar's Palace as if that's where the BB event is being held when that's obviously not true but I only just got around to checking the actual address on Google maps and it's not all that far away

Right around the corner ..... at the exact spot where Tupac was shot and killed. :(

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I can't imagine they were happy about Minotaur having a spazz out in the playoffs last year either.

Considering how often they bring it up I suspect they're cool with a little drama.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There were some great drives and some pretty medicore drives this episode. By far the best was Bloodspot v Beta an aggressive display of control and skill by John Reid who had no other choice if he was to prevent Bloodsport from getting anywhere near his bots weak spots and coincidentally, to win. By contrast, Glitch v Valkyrie was a teeth-grinding ballet of two timid competitors with bots that we know can be contenders because we've seen them in the hands of better drivers. They've wasted a season but at least they had an excuse, agreeing with PostNouveau re Mammoth v Kraken except to add that with Kraken it's just beginning to get that little bit more embarrassing with every weird rebuild, I'm losing count of the different looks its taken on.

I guess Riptide would have to face Endgame at some point right?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I always have a little chuckle during the opening credits when they show the Colosseum at Caesar's Palace as if that's where the BB event is being held when that's obviously not true but I only just got around to checking the actual address on Google maps and it's not all that far away

Not sure if that's really their intention to imply. They do also show shots of the skyline and the flamingo. But the filming is at Caesar's Studios lot / building, which has had a handful of shows filmed over the years. So they are going to show shots of their third of the strip and not MGM's third.

Also a sidenote, I saw today that Bil Dywer is actually one of the presenters for the Destructathon. Pretty cool since it's been like 20 years since the comedy central Battlebots (which he hosted for those who didn't watch it then).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

what's with the little stick off the front of valkyrie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

what's with the little stick off the front of valkyrie?

I think it was maybe their version of a fork? Doesn't seem like the best idea for an undercutter but I'm sure they had their reasons