Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
The real problem with boilers is the challenge of piping steam around. You need 3 entire lines of Huge Potin Fluid Pipes just to feed a single HV steam turbine (31272 steam /second, each pipe can move 12k/s). Either that or put the turbine directly under the valve of a railcraft tank or something. It's probably easier to transform down to 16 amp LV and run 16x redstone alloy cable than it is to pipe that much steam around.

Steam sucks.

I don't think my bio-diesel setup is can be my primary power, even if I convert to cetane-boosted diesel. The fish farm doesn't have great stats so it's not even enough power income for 1A HV. I've already got a fluid drilling rig on a 700 raw oil chunk so I'll have to build a regular diesel setup. I'm going to wait until I can put a Distillation Tower together to build a benzene setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

FPzero posted:

FYI: If you're making Long Distance Fluid Pipes, be sure to check the recipes because instead of using the crafting recipe that takes 18 steel plates for 32 pipes, there is an assembler recipe that costs 21 steel plates and one molten tin bar for 64 pipes.

:cripes:
(guess what i didn't pay attention to)

hey, at least you made that mistake early in the playthrough! better to learn it now than do that with some of the later recipes. there's much more painful lessons out there.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The real problem with boilers is the challenge of piping steam around. You need 3 entire lines of Huge Potin Fluid Pipes just to feed a single HV steam turbine (31272 steam /second, each pipe can move 12k/s). Either that or put the turbine directly under the valve of a railcraft tank or something. It's probably easier to transform down to 16 amp LV and run 16x redstone alloy cable than it is to pipe that much steam around.

I mean, yeah. The idea of centralized power generation with massive boilers is to put them with the turbines directly as a power plant then moving the power around and not the steam. The boilers are very efficient input->power but highly unwieldy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What I'm reading is that I should make a railcraft tank for this large boiler that will be devoted entirely to steam power generation, and build that exactly where I want my power distribution to start from. No piping steam from A to Z to reach a turbine, it should go liquid firebox -> boiler -> steam tank -> turbine generator of some kind with as few bottlenecks and extra steps as possible. No steam pipes branching off from there, use powered wires and ULV/LV machines instead?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Actually, question about the long distance fluid pipes: Do they have to be perfectly straight or can I bend them? I've run one from an oil spout a ways away and it's entering my base about 20 blocks above my buildings. I can just have the endpoint be high in the sky and run regular pipes down if need be, but if I can bend this pipe downwards and put the endpoint on my roof that'd be a lot more convenient.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

for me, steam absolutely loving sucks for piping to individual generators because it's not very energy dense. centralising steam in big boilers makes sense to me, but only really for LV and for relatively small local consumption, ideally (imo) with battery buffers.

converting steam to EU in situ and cabling it around is possible, but cables are lossy, so if they need to go significant distance efficiently you want to use as high voltage as possible and transform up and down. can't remember what's involved in HV+ transformers but i don't think they're very feasible at the point of using steam for power.

pumping benzene around once it's set up is much easier. it's lossless! you'll always want steam (e.g. for petrochemical stuff - cracking, etc) so setting up a boiler won't exactly hamper you in future, but i wouldn't build an entire base around your steam infrastructure in the same way you might do with pyrolase oven/tree farm output

e: shoulda read upthread - not all cables are lossy. 16x redstone cables will work as a backbone!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

bawk posted:

No steam pipes branching off from there, use powered wires and ULV/LV machines instead?

In LV at least it can still be useful to run small pipes around to, like, your automated farms or whatever which only need a small amount of power from a single turbine to save metal costs but soon you'll be batch producing so many insulated wires the cost becomes minimal.

And as mentioned your steam setup won't be your mainstay forever and will be converted later on into other projects - it's just one path to getting to later tiers.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 11, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Using long cables during LV or even MV is really really bad. Piping steam around is a better idea when you have a large boiler. Try using more than one pipe! ...HV cables are okay I guess if your base is small, but ramping up to use EV cables for longer distances is better in many cases.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Actually, question about the long distance fluid pipes: Do they have to be perfectly straight or can I bend them?

As long as they are contiguous and don't intersect, you can bend em any which way you want. You also need to plug in the last pipeline block directly opposite the output of the endpoint, but other than that, go nuts.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As long as they are contiguous and don't intersect, you can bend em any which way you want. You also need to plug in the last pipeline block directly opposite the output of the endpoint, but other than that, go nuts.

Awesome! That makes running this pipeline way easier now. Thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Omnifactory/Nomifactory cutting out the steam age entirely was a very wise move. I love GTNH but the steam hump at the start made me bounce off the pack my first few tries.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
I've been playing FTB Inferno co-op with one friend and I would say I'm very late into it — we've unlocked the overworld and are working on singularities & creative items. This is my second FTB modpack i've gotten this close to completion (the other being Oceanblock) and my opinions are as follows:

Both packs really fall apart in the mid-to-endgame, Oceanblock way more than Inferno though.

Oceanblock has basically nothing holding it to its premise except for the changed world gen, individual mod recipes are entirely unchanged. We picked a difficult start (bubble on the ocean floor) and I can only really think of one time where progression was challenging, which was trying to get diving suits because we couldn't get to the surface to raid structures. Also b/c it took us so much work to be able to leave our starting area, we were so far ahead of the intended progression that exploring felt like a waste of time. The altered world gen in the Nether and End were really charming, i specifically extra liked the End changes with water that warped you replacing the void. But mod recipes being unaltered meant it was pretty much a kitchen sink pack with extra steps and we barely interacted with what made the modpack unique.

Inferno I think is a lot stronger than Oceanblock overall but has the same missteps. Just lesser. I was immediately drawn to an expert modpack with Minecolonies as its main progression mechanic because i LOVE Minecolonies, it's probably my single favorite city building game, and for years I daydreamed about a modpack that integrated it into other mods. I believe that building a modpack on Minecolonies is probably unimaginably difficult — just a lot of moving parts to consider — but ultimately the way Inferno handles it feels like missed potential. I can't describe it much better than it just doesn't commit to the bit hard enough; by midgame you can pretty safely fully ignore your colony to move on to using much more familiar mods for expert players like Blood Magic and Create and AE2.

You are also given a bunch of capsules that have the full first level buildings with the idea that you place them and have your builder finalize them but the capsules are so finicky and awful to use (and I think a large part of the charm of the mod is watching your builder build the structure) that it feels very unpleasant to expand your colony. We were placing the capsules outside of our base and breaking them down to recycle the parts and I kept misclicking and leaving huge holes in the bedrock because placing the capsules sucks so much!! We ended up just mass voiding the capsules when we got them because they were just more trouble than they were worth.

They use a mostly unmodified default set for the Minecolonies buildings that is IMO very ugly and difficult to distinguish buildings from each other until the level 4 or 5 mark. Which is unnecessary to build for progression (i think you can get away with two buildings at level 5, one at 3 and the rest at 1) so a player who isn't already interested in Minecolonies is going to be stuck with this maze of really samey henges and getting lost trying to find the one guy who needs to be taught this one recipe so you can have them craft it once to unlock crafting it yourself and go back to ignoring the colony.

On the positive side they have a fully custom set of voice lines, textures and name sets for the colonists (theming them to be demons!) and it's so charming. I love watching my guys run around and do things!

I really feel like anyone who has their first experience with Minecolonies from playing FTB Inferno is going to come away hating the mod. It's such a bad impression.

There is a custom system to replace Minecolonies' raids mechanic that periodically summons a series of skilled mobs for you to fight on a timer. I really enjoyed the raids in the early game, they were challenging in an engaging way and the rewards felt very worth it. However the raids increase in difficulty and more importantly frequency as you defeat bosses to the point that a new raid starts every thirty minutes. I ended up being so frustrated by how often raids hit (they are per-player so also my friend and I would have simultaneous raids happen) that I went into the code and changed it myself, wherein i discovered that the code is broken and it's intended to stagger raids in a way that just never happened for us. also the mob choices are really questionable because the raid fails and the mobs despawn if anything goes too far from the summon point and there are like, phantoms and vexes. you are on the nether roof. lol

I think also some of the mod choices really don't fit the theming or feel very shoehorned in. I mostly feel like that for Nature's Aura, Immersive Engineering, AE2 and to a lesser extent Ars Nouveau. Hexerei I'm on the fence for and it has an (afaik unfixed) issue where doing something required for game progression has a high chance to corrupt your world, which is cool

The difficulty progression for combat is a bit wack too, we were struggling with fights until unlocking living armor (doable before fighting the first boss) and then became functionally unkillable. Blood Magic in general busts the modpack wide open; alchemy flasks are gamebreaking and can also be made before the first boss. First boss was really hard but the second, third and fifth were chumps. The Ender Dragon was a really great fight and I liked how that was altered; the Wither is unchanged. We have not summoned the final boss yet.

Also they pushed an update that made the modpack unwinnable without cheating over a month ago and haven't patched it. There's a structure in the End that crashes the server if it's generated and you need blocks from it to make IE excavators to make singularities. Just in general feels really unpolished after the halfway point.

This is coming off a bit more negative than I might actually feel about Inferno but I'm probably getting hit with the endgame burnout. I think it's a very unique modpack and worth trying but also deeply flawed in a lot of ways.

Here's some pics of our town (all the buildings are level 4 or 5)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

alexandriao posted:

woo minecraft thread! although im a bit disappointed theres not like a goon vanilla anarchy server going :(

also the first poast needs amending to correct that the new super duper improved launcher is prism launcher lol

Thanks for reminding me, that's been fixed up.

(Also for me, friendship has ended with GDLauncher, ATLauncher is my new best friend)

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I like Feed the Beast packs. I was pretty impressed with Stoneblock 3 and I'm looking forward to trying FTB Skies when I get some time soon. Also had a good time with All The Magic and yeah, Create Above and Beyond. Feel free to quit Create when you get sick of it, the later quests are a hassle and my group just said gently caress it.

I actually made my detour back to Create Astral instead of loading up my GregTech I started and oh man is this getting addicting. It was super slow going but I just got my smeltery going and an enclosed fan blast furnace. It's loving awesome throwing 3 stacks of cobble in and waiting a minute or two and it all turns into stone. Then I do it again for smooth stone (that I'm using for my house materials). Can't wait to do more of this.

Also anyone know how to make slime components with Hephaestus (tinker construct fabric version)? I melt down the slime but it won't do anything except go into a basin to be made back into a cube.

Edit: never mind figured it out. Had to do max slime balls in the seared melter and pour it onto a wood component. I also hope going with amplified world type doesn't gently caress me. I did start super high up on a cliff and had to figure out my way down. Also fun when I die and my bed was broken because I was doing remote sleeping and get sent back to that spot. Thankfully I can now just run and jump off it into water.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 12, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ketchupface posted:

I've been playing FTB Inferno co-op with one friend and I would say I'm very late into it — we've unlocked the overworld and are working on singularities & creative items. This is my second FTB modpack i've gotten this close to completion (the other being Oceanblock) and my opinions are as follows:

Both packs really fall apart in the mid-to-endgame, Oceanblock way more than Inferno though.

Oceanblock has basically nothing holding it to its premise except for the changed world gen, individual mod recipes are entirely unchanged. We picked a difficult start (bubble on the ocean floor) and I can only really think of one time where progression was challenging, which was trying to get diving suits because we couldn't get to the surface to raid structures. Also b/c it took us so much work to be able to leave our starting area, we were so far ahead of the intended progression that exploring felt like a waste of time. The altered world gen in the Nether and End were really charming, i specifically extra liked the End changes with water that warped you replacing the void. But mod recipes being unaltered meant it was pretty much a kitchen sink pack with extra steps and we barely interacted with what made the modpack unique.

Inferno I think is a lot stronger than Oceanblock overall but has the same missteps. Just lesser. I was immediately drawn to an expert modpack with Minecolonies as its main progression mechanic because i LOVE Minecolonies, it's probably my single favorite city building game, and for years I daydreamed about a modpack that integrated it into other mods. I believe that building a modpack on Minecolonies is probably unimaginably difficult — just a lot of moving parts to consider — but ultimately the way Inferno handles it feels like missed potential. I can't describe it much better than it just doesn't commit to the bit hard enough; by midgame you can pretty safely fully ignore your colony to move on to using much more familiar mods for expert players like Blood Magic and Create and AE2.

You are also given a bunch of capsules that have the full first level buildings with the idea that you place them and have your builder finalize them but the capsules are so finicky and awful to use (and I think a large part of the charm of the mod is watching your builder build the structure) that it feels very unpleasant to expand your colony. We were placing the capsules outside of our base and breaking them down to recycle the parts and I kept misclicking and leaving huge holes in the bedrock because placing the capsules sucks so much!! We ended up just mass voiding the capsules when we got them because they were just more trouble than they were worth.

They use a mostly unmodified default set for the Minecolonies buildings that is IMO very ugly and difficult to distinguish buildings from each other until the level 4 or 5 mark. Which is unnecessary to build for progression (i think you can get away with two buildings at level 5, one at 3 and the rest at 1) so a player who isn't already interested in Minecolonies is going to be stuck with this maze of really samey henges and getting lost trying to find the one guy who needs to be taught this one recipe so you can have them craft it once to unlock crafting it yourself and go back to ignoring the colony.

On the positive side they have a fully custom set of voice lines, textures and name sets for the colonists (theming them to be demons!) and it's so charming. I love watching my guys run around and do things!

I really feel like anyone who has their first experience with Minecolonies from playing FTB Inferno is going to come away hating the mod. It's such a bad impression.

There is a custom system to replace Minecolonies' raids mechanic that periodically summons a series of skilled mobs for you to fight on a timer. I really enjoyed the raids in the early game, they were challenging in an engaging way and the rewards felt very worth it. However the raids increase in difficulty and more importantly frequency as you defeat bosses to the point that a new raid starts every thirty minutes. I ended up being so frustrated by how often raids hit (they are per-player so also my friend and I would have simultaneous raids happen) that I went into the code and changed it myself, wherein i discovered that the code is broken and it's intended to stagger raids in a way that just never happened for us. also the mob choices are really questionable because the raid fails and the mobs despawn if anything goes too far from the summon point and there are like, phantoms and vexes. you are on the nether roof. lol

I think also some of the mod choices really don't fit the theming or feel very shoehorned in. I mostly feel like that for Nature's Aura, Immersive Engineering, AE2 and to a lesser extent Ars Nouveau. Hexerei I'm on the fence for and it has an (afaik unfixed) issue where doing something required for game progression has a high chance to corrupt your world, which is cool

The difficulty progression for combat is a bit wack too, we were struggling with fights until unlocking living armor (doable before fighting the first boss) and then became functionally unkillable. Blood Magic in general busts the modpack wide open; alchemy flasks are gamebreaking and can also be made before the first boss. First boss was really hard but the second, third and fifth were chumps. The Ender Dragon was a really great fight and I liked how that was altered; the Wither is unchanged. We have not summoned the final boss yet.

Also they pushed an update that made the modpack unwinnable without cheating over a month ago and haven't patched it. There's a structure in the End that crashes the server if it's generated and you need blocks from it to make IE excavators to make singularities. Just in general feels really unpolished after the halfway point.

This is coming off a bit more negative than I might actually feel about Inferno but I'm probably getting hit with the endgame burnout. I think it's a very unique modpack and worth trying but also deeply flawed in a lot of ways.

Here's some pics of our town (all the buildings are level 4 or 5)

I had never heard of this mod before and I love the idea of building a "multiblock" that's actually a functional building in a town, and using those buildings for a purpose outside of decoration in a village. Im going to bookmark this for if/when I get GTNH burnout.

I finished my bending machine last night and slapped it temporarily next to my current Railcraft steam tank/turbine while looking at recipes and quests. I made it through reading all the "You're gonna hate this..." quests before double checking steam age and remembering that Rain + Electricity = Bad. I grabbed my wrench, broke both machines, and seconds later it started thunderstorming. I've gotta build a roof.

I also did the math last night and I'm pretty sure I've got more materials than I will ever need to build the rest of the stuff I need tonight, just gotta build an extruder and a few hoppers to automate the process. I'm happy I read up on LP boilers vs HP boilers because I was prepared to make a HP boiler until I realized it would need a lot more coke ovens, since HP means higher output, not necessarily fuel efficiency.

Once I'm done I plan on building the steam grinder as well, but I'm a bit confused because the blueprint i can find in NEI shows the grinder block itself, the steam hatch, and literally every other block besides those two is a Steam (item) Input block. What's the standard? 4 input, 4 output, the rest bronze plated bricks?

Holyshoot posted:

I actually made my detour back to Create Astral instead of loading up my GregTech I started and oh man is this getting addicting. It was super slow going but I just got my smeltery going and an enclosed fan blast furnace. It's loving awesome throwing 3 stacks of cobble in and waiting a minute or two and it all turns into stone. Then I do it again for smooth stone (that I'm using for my house materials). Can't wait to do more of this.

Also anyone know how to make slime components with Hephaestus (tinker construct fabric version)? I melt down the slime but it won't do anything except go into a basin to be made back into a cube.

Edit: never mind figured it out. Had to do max slime balls in the seared melter and pour it onto a wood component. I also hope going with amplified world type doesn't gently caress me. I did start super high up on a cliff and had to figure out my way down. Also fun when I die and my bed was broken because I was doing remote sleeping and get sent back to that spot. Thankfully I can now just run and jump off it into water.

How is the mechanical aspect of it? I haven't dabbled heavily in create because the assembly line aspect intimidated me, and the modpacks I used always had create as an option, not the backbone of the whole pack. I have used the washer/furnace/smoker aspect of the encased fans though, and that part owns bones. IIRC you can put a water source block down surrounded by trapdoors to keep it in one spot, then replace one of the blocks after the trapdoors with netherrack or soul sand, and you can change between washing and cooking food with the same encased fan by simply lighting the block with a flint and steel/putting it out when you want to wash. It works nice if you want a multi-functional encased fan for manual jobs without having to switch out fluids, although you obviously can't smelt items without switching the water with lava.

bawk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 12, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

bawk posted:

I'm happy I read up on LP boilers vs HP boilers because I was prepared to make a HP boiler until I realized it would need a lot more coke ovens, since HP means higher output, not necessarily fuel efficiency.

Once I'm done I plan on building the steam grinder as well, but I'm a bit confused because the blueprint i can find in NEI shows the grinder block itself, the steam hatch, and literally every other block besides those two is a Steam (item) Input block. What's the standard? 4 input, 4 output, the rest bronze plated bricks?

GTNH buffed the HP boiler to make it actually worth building over LP and while still burning more fuel is now massively more efficient if you're actually using all the steam it produces (hard to do). LP boiler is much better early on until you're ready to swap to an always-on HP that's automatically fed. A fully heated HP is twice as efficient as a same size LP but can take real-life hours to get up to heat.

For the big multiblock grinder you only need one item input and output, steam input, the controller, and the rest as normal blocks. The only block that has a required position is the controller (iirc), the rest can go wherever.

Also there's this google doc with tons of useful info for various things in the game.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 12, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

bawk posted:

I also did the math last night and I'm pretty sure I've got more materials than I will ever need to build the rest of the stuff I need tonight, just gotta build an extruder and a few hoppers to automate the process. I'm happy I read up on LP boilers vs HP boilers because I was prepared to make a HP boiler until I realized it would need a lot more coke ovens, since HP means higher output, not necessarily fuel efficiency.

I've found that one liquid-fueled boiler firebox + one HP boiler on top of it works well as an emergency steam top-off if you don't automate steam production or choose to run a lot of solar boilers instead. Just burn some of your plentiful creosote in it.

The Steam Macerator multiblock diagram seems to be bugged, but yeah you just need the singular input, output and steam hatches. The rest is all bronze casing bricks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bawk posted:

just gotta build an extruder

Bear in mind that the LV extruder is nearly useless. Most materials require an MV extruder to function. The LV extruder is only really good for making rubber plates and rings. I skip it, typically.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Can you transform 1A from a single generator into 2A using a battery buffer with two batteries in it? Or can you only ever transform amperage down?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FPzero posted:

Can you transform 1A from a single generator into 2A using a battery buffer with two batteries in it? Or can you only ever transform amperage down?

Transformation is a voltage thing. If you want to provide 2A with only 1A of input, use a battery buffer. Battery buffers output as many amps as there are batteries inside, as long as the charge lasts. You can elect to charge the battery buffer with fewer amps than you actually generate, if you want. Of course, the voltage going into the battery buffer must be at or below its rating or you will have explosions.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Okay, I had the wrong terminology, but that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I loaded up vault hunters 3 for 1.18 a few days ago and I've been playing it quite a bit. Is it just me or is the progression here really slow? I've gone through enough vaults to get to level 9 (as well as a bunch of early runs where I failed to find the exit) and I have no other mod packs unlocked. I don't even have any knowledge as I haven't ever seen even a regular rear end bentonite to make the knowledge core. Is there some fundamental element of this that I'm missing? Are you just supposed to bash up against it and progress very slowly?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

zimbomonkey posted:

I loaded up vault hunters 3 for 1.18 a few days ago and I've been playing it quite a bit. Is it just me or is the progression here really slow? I've gone through enough vaults to get to level 9 (as well as a bunch of early runs where I failed to find the exit) and I have no other mod packs unlocked. I don't even have any knowledge as I haven't ever seen even a regular rear end bentonite to make the knowledge core. Is there some fundamental element of this that I'm missing? Are you just supposed to bash up against it and progress very slowly?
Progression is in fact extremely slow and most useful mods will take a very long time to unlock, especially since every unlock makes the next one multiple times more expensive to unlock, stacking. Getting a pick with max fortune on it + the fortune veinminer perk will go a long way to harvesting the rare gems and getting progress that way but even then it'll be a long trip.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Wait a minute, are you finding the gems by mining for them? I thought they were in the vault

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

zimbomonkey posted:

Wait a minute, are you finding the gems by mining for them? I thought they were in the vault
You mine for them in the vault. Sometimes instead of normal POIs with chests, rooms will have clusters of rare gems in black vaultstone. If so, the room will usually have several others like it, so stick around if you need gems. Fortune (and fortune veinmining) do affect these gems so go hard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

How is the mechanical aspect of it? I haven't dabbled heavily in create because the assembly line aspect intimidated me, and the modpacks I used always had create as an option, not the backbone of the whole pack. I have used the washer/furnace/smoker aspect of the encased fans though, and that part owns bones. IIRC you can put a water source block down surrounded by trapdoors to keep it in one spot, then replace one of the blocks after the trapdoors with netherrack or soul sand, and you can change between washing and cooking food with the same encased fan by simply lighting the block with a flint and steel/putting it out when you want to wash. It works nice if you want a multi-functional encased fan for manual jobs without having to switch out fluids, although you obviously can't smelt items without switching the water with lava.

Haven't gone too deep into it but ya you can get crazy with it. The way the pack is setup is you have to make stuff and usually want to use it to unlock more stuff. Similar to GTNH. It eases you into it very slowly. But ya, I think I'll eventually get to a place where I don't have to do any mining whatsoever. It also has planes and cars and I think a drone that can deliver you stuff. Create mod is very very neat with what can be done with it compared to your typical mekanism one block does a crazy thing but looks dull.

This modpack uses Fabric instead of forge which is supposed to have better peformance.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I did it! I have now officially surpassed my previous playthrough and I'm pretty happy about it! The EBF is definitely not automated fully yet but I do have various smaller systems at least partially automated that contribute to its operation, like a small loop electrolyzing water for hydrogen and my light fuel production looping itself back into powering its own production. I do feel pretty great about finally getting it to work after all that setup. I have lots more alumina dust that I can smelt in it, but I'm going to process it slowly for now because I don't want to accidentally void any of it if I run into power problems.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FPzero posted:

I did it! I have now officially surpassed my previous playthrough and I'm pretty happy about it! The EBF is definitely not automated fully yet but I do have various smaller systems at least partially automated that contribute to its operation, like a small loop electrolyzing water for hydrogen and my light fuel production looping itself back into powering its own production. I do feel pretty great about finally getting it to work after all that setup. I have lots more alumina dust that I can smelt in it, but I'm going to process it slowly for now because I don't want to accidentally void any of it if I run into power problems.

YES! Getting the EBF is such a big deal because MV machines open up progression so much. Through LV it's pretty linear but MV is really where you start picking projects instead of following a beeline. I highly recommend an MV electrolyzer as your first machine (use a 4 slot LV battery buffer and an LV transformer set to step-up to power it). Since you're doing light fuel you'll be able to recycle the hydrogen sulfide and it's a 100% return so it's a closed loop. Also smashing out a mesa with a hammer for clay dust will solve alumina and lithium for batteries. After that you might want an MV distillery and mixer to combine light and heavy fuel into diesel, which is 480k eu/cell vs the 305k of light fuel.

In my earlier worlds I would use batteries and just run the EBF intermittently but my current world I built enough solar boilers and a big ol' tank so I can run my MV EBF constantly. I also built a second EBF (wallsharing of course!) for HV and that's running off 4 MV combustion generators and my bio-diesel. Just got kanthal coils yesterday and the upgraded overclock for steel production is incredible. 80 seconds for a stack of steel is great compared to the 4 hours and 16 minutes of a coke fueled BBF.

Running the HV EBF for stacks and stacks of stainless steel has led me to discover that my low-stat goldfish field doesn't sustain the bio-diesel so I've plopped a drilling rig on a 479L oil field and my miner on an oilsands vein. First time using a long-distance fluid pipeline and they're neat as hell. Only took a couple stacks of steel for the 2 blocks and 5 stacks of pipes.

I also recently built a steam oven because the multi-smelter seemed a little expensive and drat is it really good. Don't sleep on steam oven for all your basic smelting needs.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I thought the Liquid Fueled Boiler Multiblock was 3x3x3 :negative:

FPzero posted:

Congrats!

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

bawk posted:

I had never heard of this mod before and I love the idea of building a "multiblock" that's actually a functional building in a town, and using those buildings for a purpose outside of decoration in a village. Im going to bookmark this for if/when I get GTNH burnout.

i really do adore minecolonies! i would actually recommend playing it after 1.19 — the devs added a ton of UI and QOL changes in that version that haven't been backported and I'm really sorely missing in Inferno. Minecolonies maintains [url="its own official modpack that is pretty much just the mod and the basic performance/quality changes suite, but when I want to play it I typically install one of the popular kitchen sink packs that has it. Currently that's a coinflip between All the Mods 8 and Valhesia 5.

early progression in the mod can be VERY slow and tedious (these guys love sleeping and will take an ingame day off to mourn each time someone inevitably dies) so its helpful to have other mods that can aid in producing large amounts of materials or give you something to do while your guys are loving off elsewhere.

i've bounced off of GTNH repeatedly because there is no apathetic mobs mod for that version and they appear to have made it so peaceful mode is permanently disabled so i like advocating for other modpacks out there. :)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ketchupface posted:

i've bounced off of GTNH repeatedly because there is no apathetic mobs mod for that version and they appear to have made it so peaceful mode is permanently disabled so i like advocating for other modpacks out there. :)

It's cool that you have other modpacks around to play but I just wanted to mention that at least as of the latest version of GTNH Peaceful mode does work. I'm playing on it and disabled infernal mobs entirely for those times when I switch mobs on for drops of adventuring. You can even go into the configs and enable the Extra Utilities Peaceful Table to passively gain random mob drops based on what biome you place the table in.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ketchupface posted:

i really do adore minecolonies! i would actually recommend playing it after 1.19 — the devs added a ton of UI and QOL changes in that version that haven't been backported and I'm really sorely missing in Inferno. Minecolonies maintains [url="its own official modpack that is pretty much just the mod and the basic performance/quality changes suite, but when I want to play it I typically install one of the popular kitchen sink packs that has it. Currently that's a coinflip between All the Mods 8 and Valhesia 5.

early progression in the mod can be VERY slow and tedious (these guys love sleeping and will take an ingame day off to mourn each time someone inevitably dies) so its helpful to have other mods that can aid in producing large amounts of materials or give you something to do while your guys are loving off elsewhere.

This sounds very cool! I will have to check out Valhesia, I love it when i hear a new recommended modpack to try out

FPzero posted:

You can even go into the configs and enable the Extra Utilities Peaceful Table to passively gain random mob drops based on what biome you place the table in.

What?? The gently caress??????

:psyduck:

I s2g I learn something new about gregtech every day, I need to read this thread from page 1

But yes, I also switched to peaceful and have not looked back, even with infernal mobs off I just don't want to deal with spiders and creepers. So GTNH fully supports peaceful :)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

bawk posted:

What?? The gently caress??????

:psyduck:

I s2g I learn something new about gregtech every day, I need to read this thread from page 1

Yeah I learned about it around the time I started my playthrough. I haven't used it much lately as it is rather cheaty and I'm pretty set on mob stuff at the moment but it exists. You'll need vanilla swords in a chest next to the table to make it function.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Removing infernal and special mobs while cheating in some magnum torches will remove 99% of the issue with mobs. If you don't want to cheat in torches there are also plenty of cheap chiseled materials which stop mobs spawning on them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bear in mind that in GTNH, eventually, you will need industrial amounts of some mob drops, notably ender pearls and blaze rods. Later on there is a machine called the extreme elimination chamber that can farm mobs for you. I'd recommend turning mobs back on at that point so you can create these. At this point in progression, you're basically invincible and can craft a TiCon crossbow that oneshots everything, so mobs are pretty trivial.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
God, Vault Hunters 3 is night and day with the previous version. Did our first vault today and it was super chill. Ended up cheating in our vault altars because gently caress hunting for 4 obsidian, but overall a really good time. We got to level 3 off of a completion. I guess next steps are getting ways to get emeralds set up and getting our enchanting villagers. Really sick to get vault gear off of the first vault.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So I got a mechanical harvester from Create working... unfortunately it seems like it can only be placed on the side of a block, not the top or bottom. This means it needs a block behind it to support it, and a block behind it looks kinda doofy gliding over crops that aren't ready to harvest yet. Is there any way to be able to put them on the bottom of a block rather than only on the side? I was thinking of trying to use a mechanical bearing and a hand crank to just kinda rotate them downward into position, but I have a feeling that's not going to work...

e: no it does not like that at all lmao

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 14, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

death cob for cutie posted:

So I got a mechanical harvester from Create working... unfortunately it seems like it can only be placed on the side of a block, not the top or bottom. This means it needs a block behind it to support it, and a block behind it looks kinda doofy gliding over crops that aren't ready to harvest yet. Is there any way to be able to put them on the bottom of a block rather than only on the side? I was thinking of trying to use a mechanical bearing and a hand crank to just kinda rotate them downward into position, but I have a feeling that's not going to work...

e: no it does not like that at all lmao

Not sure you can. Because the general idea is the harvester takes the crop not the whole plant and if you had the harvester facing down you'd technically be pulling up the plant as well (if it tries to follow real life mechanics at all that is)

FPzero posted:

About how many hours played do you have on that playthrough? Also I like your room what material are the walls?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holyshoot posted:

About how many hours played do you have on that playthrough? Also I like your room what material are the walls?

I think I took that screenshot at around 7 days real time, but I've also spent a lot of time idling or just running around exploring or getting sidetracked. I'll bet others could play through it a faster than I have.

Also those walls are laboratory blocks from Chisel! Floors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

God, Vault Hunters 3 is night and day with the previous version. Did our first vault today and it was super chill. Ended up cheating in our vault altars because gently caress hunting for 4 obsidian, but overall a really good time. We got to level 3 off of a completion. I guess next steps are getting ways to get emeralds set up and getting our enchanting villagers. Really sick to get vault gear off of the first vault.

Don't worry about that, update 9 is dropping any day now and it's going to include an enchantment table that lets you buy vanilla enchants so you no longer need a villager concentration camp