Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Google one app works with even the base free 15gb of storage, you don't need to subscribe to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

deong posted:

For others that might not know, if you're willing to do 3-5 question surveys, you can get paid in google bucks and use it on google services. Youtube music, google one, etc.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks

My mom always said my opinions were worthless, but I'm sitting at $289.15!

How the hell do you have $300 from that? I get one survey every two weeks maybe and they give me 25-50 cents in credit that expires in 6 months. It's only not completely worthless now that you can use them for partial payments on the Play Store.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

eXXon posted:

How the hell do you have $300 from that? I get one survey every two weeks maybe and they give me 25-50 cents in credit that expires in 6 months. It's only not completely worthless now that you can use them for partial payments on the Play Store.

I signed up in 2014. Big thing to remember is when it auto installs on a new device, make sure to open the rewards app. I usually miss a few months every new phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I would assume that's his total over all time. I'm sitting at $313 over the last 8 years and I only get a couple surveys a week, usually either having to do with somewhere I recently went (or was near), or something I had just searched for.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

7 minutes after posting that, I got $0.10 for answering that I haven't shopped for boots recently. :tinfoil:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You have to be in a desirable demographic and locale for marketers.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Also you have to have location history on or you'll get practically no surveys.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Yea, I'm sure the information Google gathers up about you is worth a lot more than 10 cents to a dollar but I still use it cause what the hell I'm on Android

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm at $343 in lifetime Rewards payouts. It owns.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
€62.88 since 2017. Yay. Spent most of it on google music while I was still using it.

The last survey I completed had no reward, which felt very annoying. The last one I got afterwards asked me to write the answer out in a textbox, which is more effort then I want to invest for unclear payment.
Also, I accidentally didn't use my bit of balance at my last purchase. Only noticed it afterwards when there was still balance left.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Google hasn't given me a survey in years and resetting my Rewards profile did not help at all. Location tracking is enabled. :smith:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm broke, Canadian, and can't drive so they don't care about my opinions. "which of these brands are you the most likely to purchase?" can't afford any of those, next

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For about a year, every day, I would say "okay Google, set a timer for 5 minutes" and a few minutes later get a survey asking if I asked to set a timer and if the timer got set and then like $0.17. That stopped about six months ago. :(

I have like nothing to spend the points on, so I hardly care at this point. Throw them at Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just got my first survey and it gave me 0 cents. :smith:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's testing your loyalty and resolve

£133 total here :capitalism:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The last day or so I've run into an issue with smart lock on my P6P. I have to unlock with my fingerprint constantly, when I go to the smart lock settings I see a blank page.

https://imgur.com/a/xV9gIpC

Not sure why it started doing this. I've also seen a blank page on the battery usage page as well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Dumb suggestion, have you tried rebooting the phone?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah, that was the first thing I did, in addition to a shutdown. It worked fine for awhile and then goes back to this weird behavior. I've been having issues since the February update, mostly battery life, I had hoped the March update would have fixed it.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

So a few days ago I took the family for a trip to a monkey sanctuary and the P7P really dropped the ball on photos / videos.
Granted it was a warm day (~30c), but after only a few photos I started getting overheating warnings and it refused to use OIS when zoomed in or record any videos at all. I tried lowering screen brightness, taking it out of the case and using airplane mode in case it was struggling with a weak signal, but it was still hot to the touch for most of the day. Eventually I resorted to turning it off whenever we were taking a break and sticking it on anything that was able to conduct the heat away (like my arm).

Since we were usually pretty far from the animals I had to rely on zoomed shots and most of them turned out blurry messes, but even unzoomed shots got worse as the day went on. I took over 80 shots and only a dozen or so turned out decent.
Some examples, I'll inline one or two but click through for the rest especially if you want to see cute monkeys and/or peacocks. Keep in mind that imgur compression isn't very good.

One of the first shots, pretty good even though I biffed it on the focus a bit:

Decent quality even with 5+x zoom

Just after the first overheat warning, already a blurry mess thanks to no OIS and the camera ignoring my focusing attempts:

After a short cooldown, decent even with maneuvering around kids to take the shot
:v:
OIS refused to work for this vid but at least I was able to get it to record after cooling it down with a water bottle
The only thing sort of in focus are the leaves behind this dude

The rest were taken in an enclosure that was cooler thanks to water misters everywhere so I was able to get some decent shots including those below, but for every good one there were like 5 terrible pictures and time spent sticking the phone in the mist to cool it back down.
Cute couple
Enjoying the mist
I hosed up the focus again but it actually turned out kinda nice

It's a disappointment since it usually takes better pictures. It's especially disappointing since my older pixels (5, 3, og) were subjected to much worse conditions for far longer and didn't complain even once. I'm not really sure what caused this terrible performance, since other than the camera the phone remained snappy and the battery usage wasn't any higher than usual - I was even surprised by how much charge remained at the end of the day.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got an email from OnePlus with a code for a “private sale event” to use at checkout.

OP10 Pro 8GB+128GB for $549 ($250 off)
OP10 Pro 12GB+256GB for $649 ($220 off)
OP10T 8GB+128GB $399 ($250 off)
OP Nord Buds 2 $53.10 ($5.90 off)

I have no interest in any of them, but if someone here wants one I’ll send you the sale code.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
That isn't really pixel specific if you want to take a picture brat there's stuff on the way a camera iwll do better as you can focus on what you want. Phones like to ignore the focus and go actually you want the fence

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I evidently have like $15 in GPay. How do I use this? It seems that it's separate from my Google Play balance that I've accumulated through rewards surveys.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
very carefully :classiclol:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is it possible for like...just mobile data to break on a phone? I think it's been dead on my OnePlus 9P for a few days, I didn't notice at first because I'm usually biking between wifi from home to office.

I don't see anyone else complaining about my carrier, and I used SMS commands to "update my SIM" whatever that means, but also my APNs which did change. I'm guessing the old ones were just aliased to the modern ones though when the brand changed.

Rebooted several times

Tried turning off 4G. Disabling 3G results in no signal at all, guess the 2G network is gone now.

I guess the next thing to try is a factory reset unless someone else has an idea.

edit: I'll try getting a new SIM first

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity to left/right swiping only? I'm constantly closing tabs when I try to tap on them and scrolling sideways instead of up and down

I'm using a Galaxy phone with nova launcher

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

I guess the next thing to try is a factory reset unless someone else has an idea.

edit: I'll try getting a new SIM first

You can also try resetting just network settings before a full system reset. I lost mobile only a week or two ago and that restored it. You'll need to re-pair bluetooth stuff and re join wifi networks, etc.

e; this is an option on a Pixel under System>Reset Options, not sure if its a universal Android thing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have it too! It immediately worked!

drat, glad I asked!

For me (OP9P, OxygenOS 13.0) it was: Additional Settings>Back up and reset>Reset phone>Reset network settings

edit: interesting, it reset the APNs to the old brand again too. I guess they're embedded in the SIM possibly? (Wind Mobile, which has been Freedom Mobile for the last seven years...)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 14, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Anyone with a Pixel 7 on fi gotten the April update? Since it dropped, I get "Preparing system update" for 15-20 seconds after hitting check for update, but then it goes right back to "Your system is up to date."

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
My pixel 5 screen is separating from the frame. Don't know if it is the battery swelling or just adhesive wearing out. Ordered a replacement battery kit from iFixit, we'll see how it goes once that arrives

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Theris posted:

Anyone with a Pixel 7 on fi gotten the April update? Since it dropped, I get "Preparing system update" for 15-20 seconds after hitting check for update, but then it goes right back to "Your system is up to date."

Mine installed this morning with no problems. Pixel 7 on Fi.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Theris posted:

Mine installed today but it took its time before it told me it was available. Maybe their distribution network is slammed or something

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm still waiting for the April update to hit my Pixel 6. I've been checking repeatedly the last couple days, but still nothing. A few Play Store updates, but that is still showing a March date, too.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I removed the tmobile sim card and added a verizon trial esim and promptly got the update lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The hell the new update doesn't show if you are connected or not to internet on top right

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I just cracked my s10 screen such that I'm getting no more display.

What's the best method to recover what I can? I can get it running on android auto and am backup up files right now. I can't transfer my MFA and other poo poo unless something else happens though. I'm afraid once the finger print unlock wears off I'm completel hosed.

What's the best value that's cheap phone right now? My guess is a 6a?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What's the best method to recover what I can? I can get it running on android auto and am backup up files right now. I can't transfer my MFA and other poo poo unless something else happens though. I'm afraid once the finger print unlock wears off I'm completel hosed.

If the touchscreen still works you can plug it into a monitor or TV via hdmi and try your luck there.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

been losing network on new pixel 7 a little bit. airplane mode on/off gets me back on usually. I dumped my old sim card and got it setup with an eSIM but it continued. also had a brief period where I couldn't send SMS.

googling around there is a theory it is related to a dual sim setting which you can disable... what's the conventional wisdom on SA?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Qmass posted:

been losing network on new pixel 7 a little bit. airplane mode on/off gets me back on usually. I dumped my old sim card and got it setup with an eSIM but it continued. also had a brief period where I couldn't send SMS.

googling around there is a theory it is related to a dual sim setting which you can disable... what's the conventional wisdom on SA?

You can disable dsds in *#*#4635#*#* > phone information and untoggle enable dsds after you scroll down a prompt shows up asking if you want to turn it on when you have two sims at same time but for reasons there is no normal way to turn it off other than that menu. After toggling reboot as your network won’t work until you do

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pixel 7s were $350 at Best Buy as of last week. Might still be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Recently if I click on a notification but drag my finger a bit it opens the relevant app in a weird square resizable overlay window. I looked in notification settings and couldn't find what it's called and searching for those terms was predictably unhelpful. Does it have a name and is there any way to turn it off?