Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I am looking forward to a playoffs of cheering for whoever is playing against the Boston Celtics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't see why "it would be weird if he was unanimous" really is a thing. A unanimous MVP is one thing, but rookies are completely different story. And there is nothing wrong with going with being an advanced stats guy, but singling yourself out as the loan holdout who trusts the numbers when your voting peers, many of them who are just as much of an advanced stat person as you, went the other way makes you look like you need a huge wedgie.

Also prefacing your statement with "I know the optics look bad but" is the "I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat but" of sports journalism

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I am looking forward to a playoffs of cheering for whoever is playing against the Boston Celtics.
Same, just hoping it isn't the golden state warriors again, real alien versus predator situation last year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Same, just hoping it isn't the golden state warriors again, real alien versus predator situation last year.

I kinda thought that going in but as the series progressed my heart was very firmly on one side. Or, rather, against one.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't see why "it would be weird if he was unanimous" really is a thing. A unanimous MVP is one thing, but rookies are completely different story. And there is nothing wrong with going with being an advanced stats guy, but singling yourself out as the loan holdout who trusts the numbers when your voting peers, many of them who are just as much of an advanced stat person as you, went the other way makes you look like you need a huge wedgie.

Also prefacing your statement with "I know the optics look bad but" is the "I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat but" of sports journalism

It wouldn’t be weird if it was unanimous but it also doesn’t matter that it isn’t.

I think maybe the most valid criticism of analytics in sports is that it leads to too much conformity in thought/playstyle/game aesthetics which tends to make the sport less interesting, so I have a particularly hard time seeing a single outlier awards vote as a The Nerds Are Out Of Control moment worth caring about.

And in general, the discourse around making sure awards go to The One Right Person for The Specific Right Reasons is becoming exhausting. The massive media referendum on whether Jokic was Worthy of back-to-back-to-back MVPs was bad enough; I don’t want to live in a universe where people aren’t even satisfied by the right guy winning because some people (or one person) had a different opinion.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

The crazy thing about all the Jalens is that it starts with Rose, whose actual basketball legacy is being the second or third best guy on a famous college team and then having a pretty good but ultimately unremarkable career where he also gave up 81 to Kobe.

According to Rose Sam Mitchell did that on purpose to punish the tea. and took a rose and all the players out of the game when they attempted to double kobe bryant

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

It wouldn’t be weird if it was unanimous but it also doesn’t matter that it isn’t.

I think maybe the most valid criticism of analytics in sports is that it leads to too much conformity in thought/playstyle/game aesthetics which tends to make the sport less interesting, so I have a particularly hard time seeing a single outlier awards vote as a The Nerds Are Out Of Control moment worth caring about.

And in general, the discourse around making sure awards go to The One Right Person for The Specific Right Reasons is becoming exhausting. The massive media referendum on whether Jokic was Worthy of back-to-back-to-back MVPs was bad enough; I don’t want to live in a universe where people aren’t even satisfied by the right guy winning because some people (or one person) had a different opinion.

Well said

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don’t think we’ve seen that much uniformity in basketball due to analytics other than shooting more threes and emphasizing corner ones, but threes are fun so it’s cool. One of the biggest things analytics shows is “you need a superstar,” which, duh, but every team with a superstar has to build around them differently.

If analytics led to conformity, we’d see a lot more teams run an imitation of GSW’s off-ball-movement offense, but we just don’t.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

OH WORD SON posted:

Go Kings

Go Knicks

Both would be so good for content.

Any amount of Kings wins will be amazing and fun. We would reach peak beam memes.

The Knicks will win some games and make the entire series messy and ruin your next series because of how Knicks they made beating them.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
HUGE win for my people https://jweekly.com/2023/04/12/kings-domantas-sabonis-is-also-on-team-jewish/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1646917673341575173

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

xbilkis posted:

He outright starts the article saying he's going to be mocked and also he believes Banchero is the better player. That's a questionable hedge. It's then the tired stuff about how high volume low efficiency scorers just aren't winners. He then quotes Lowe about how the analytics guys are completely in love with Kessler as his justification while completely ignoring that Lowe understands and communicates the importance of being The Guy and that Lowe has a much more balanced way of how he views analytics vs. things like the eye test. Also Mr. Analytics guy goes for the tired "and his plus minus is bad!" which is like baby's first analytics mistake

Plus his own words make it sound like he's trying to start a referendum on how people need to vote for this so yeah I'm going to mock him

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 14, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

gently caress to Miami Heat!!!!!!

Yes! Is Fact!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://www.nba.com/news/film-study-key-plays-actions-2023-playoffs

Jon schumann writing about key plays to watch for in the playoffs. He does not get enough exposure I think half way because it’s hard to click through to his stuff on the NBA website

Basketball writing About basketball, not drama, not transactions, not awards voting and what dark villainy of the psyche it reveals

It’s a good article.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

How the hell is this a monetary fine if the crime they're guilty of is a better draft spot. Dock them 2nd round picks or knock them further down the 1st round order.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im sad the two teams im rooting for (Kings and Warriors) have to fight each other in round 1. but at least it will make the rest of the tourneyplayoff's choices easy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I hope Zach dunks a ball so hard it causes physical harm to Pat Riley.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1646908679332204544?s=20

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

WhyteRyce posted:

Ric got on Kings fans poo poo list when he sided with the Maloofs and lamented the arena falling apart on the team in the middle of a game was because no one was supporting the team

SVG over the PA: "We just form a loving load-bearing Wall".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Drunk Canuck posted:

How the hell is this a monetary fine if the crime they're guilty of is a better draft spot. Dock them 2nd round picks or knock them further down the 1st round order.

The crime was not tanking, it was calling attention to it publicly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

wholesome Memphis Grizzlies news
https://twitter.com/desmndbane/status/1646846634301480961

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mazel Tov to The Bonis and lmao at the headline to that article.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Off-season going to be lit

quote:

[Haynes] Dame talked to Joe Cronin and informed him he doesn’t want to be on a middle tier team in no man’s land and he doesn’t want to be on a rebuilding team. If they aren’t able to come through with their promises of putting together a competent roster, they pretty much know the next step.

lol Dame really is going for the "I didn't ask for a trade" strategy
https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/1646890230505705472

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 14, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Bad analysis is almost always in reverse from the desired conclusions; it just needs an excuse. Picking and choosing favorable advanced stats can be that excuse, but so can almost anything else, so it’s not like advanced stats actually make analysis work. The problem with that dude’s argument is that despite all his protests it’s pretty clearly just a reporter voting for his hometown player.

If anyone really cared about the integrity of this nonsense, they would prevent reporters from making homer picks — it’s not a secret ballot anyway — and then call it unanimous if everyone who could vote for someone did. They’d get to explain the system every year, too, so if anything they’d get more attention than they do now.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

dokmo posted:

The crime was not tanking, it was calling attention to it publicly.

Yeah, and the 750k isn't the penalty that will make teams go "we have to remember to shut up. And list some guys as injured"

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

I feel like hes been in school for a decade

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Drunk Canuck posted:

Yeah, and the 750k isn't the penalty that will make teams go "we have to remember to shut up. And list some guys as injured"

I mean most teams don’t need a punishment to understand that

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Does anyone know how playoff league pass works? Do blackout rules still apply

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

de curry GOAT posted:

I feel like hes been in school for a decade

I mean, he probably was.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

Does anyone know how playoff league pass works? Do blackout rules still apply

Yeah they are all blacked out unless you are international I think. It's very dumb and frustrating.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I guess the NBA can now pay for all that travel and those meetings they told people to cancel?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah they are all blacked out unless you are international I think. It's very dumb and frustrating.

I simply want to give the nba money to watch their product and they make it impossible lol

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Metapod posted:

I simply want to give the nba money to watch their product and they make it impossible lol

It's loving garbage.

Dick Boss
Mar 20, 2023

by Hand Knit
Where does Siakam and Anunoby land? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10072388-nba-trade-rumors-raptors-expected-to-move-some-assets-siakam-anunoby-linked

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jalen infamously gets so upset about it though, so I had assumed it was him.

i will never not laugh when i watch the vid where embiid told jalen he felt 81% healthy

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I am now wondering if a single member of the 2019 Raptors will be on the team next year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1646951201941094401?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Kind of a weird breakdown but whatever

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Hey problem solved! We're all good! Get 'em on your squad!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I think no where. Cooler heads will prevail and people will realize that the Raptors are in a decent space for four years into a rebuild. With the 2024 draft projected to be bad now that it's not a double draft like many thought it would be as late this year (for some reason, even though it seemed unlikely to me it would be after everything Silver has said the last three years) if you have a solid core of mostly young players you don't want to take an axe to it now. Try to con the Lakers into S+T for VanVleet if they can't come to terms with D'Angelo, try to con the Mavs into a S+T if they can't come to terms with Kyrie, get what you can for him if anything and keep developing the youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Isn't Bridges not under contract? Like, isn't he not actually on the Hornets? How did he serve 20 games?