Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

I’d more than likely be exclusively looking at sedans due to the price difference between the sedan and wagon. And even then, the sedans I’ve seen have generally been more than I’m looking to spend, but it’s still an option.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Popete posted:

Your water pump is lurking

I won’t say anything about the entire cooling system at all. It’s not to be spoken of

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Last night I no joke had a dream that my SES light came back on well I was driving.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

It's the unfortunate reality of the current used car market. And I don't even know why I'm looking at more BMW's.

It's always something. Googling this and it could be a few different things. It has new plugs and coil packs within the last 6000 miles. I put gas in it from a different gas station yesterday so I'm hoping that's the culprit. Was getting the timing pulls again so I put some 93 in it before going back to the lovely gas tune. First noticed it on the highway speeding up in 6th to get around someone. Car got jerky and after dropping down a couple gears and getting any boost got me a drivetrain malfunction as well as running super rough. Goes away when you turn the car off or clear the codes until you give it any gas.

e: injector seems like a good culprit. It'll almost certainly be that since I was just down that deep to do the valve cover and this car loves to have me pull everything off the top of the engine all the time.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 4, 2023

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
2007 335i, Battery got a bit weak, left in the driveway a few days and then it wouldn't start at all. Figured i'd just leave it on a charger for 24 hours or so. Turns out it kept trying to flicker on and off as it was charging and I ended up with this locked red steering wheel icon of death where the car locks itself down completely. Apparently a fairly common thing in early models. Replaced battery with a brand new one and then it took me nearly a week of research and mild stress trying to figure out how to reset the steering lock. I grabbed the ista+ software and a D-kan cable I already had and it took me several days of research and fumbling around with the software, turns out it has to be setup just right with the com ports to read the car properly as I was getting odd errors at first. Finally got the laptop and software setup just right and managed to unlock the drat steering and the car started up. Who would think just a weak battery would lockup a car like that...

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yikes!

Thanks for the posts, all. The e39 madness has passed and I will remain on the path of the e91.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Well I finally got a taste of the true BMW experience. My 2017 320i passed 60k miles today and to celebrate dumped all its coolant on the way home. Walked to a nearby supermarket after I was forced to stop due to the engine overheating to get more coolant so I could limp home the last 7 miles and just made it before it started to overheat again.

I’ve got a courtesy car being delivered tomorrow morning, but mine was supposed to be recovered this evening, and I phone up half an hour after they were supposed to arrive only to find the recovery company cancelled the recovery and not bothered to tell BMW roadside assistance (and were quite rude to the agent I was speaking with as well), so not overly pleased. Guess that’s being recovered tomorrow.

From what I can find online it’s likely the cylinder head ventilation line has cracked - it’s apparently a very common issue to the point that there is a recall in the US relating to it. No such luck here though, but might be able to squeeze it through the insured warranty. Probably not, but we will see.

Great way to start April.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
why does my left arm, neck and back ache like hell today? Oh that's right, I did the F10 cabin air filter change again last night. :argh:

It looks like the newer X5's aren't so bad and there are just 2 hand twist plastic wingnuts to turn to drop the under glove box panel and get right to the filter box. I still miss the old E46 way though. :effortless:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I can't help myself from constantly looking at this f31 listing. What is wrong with me?

e: I forgot those have the N20. lmao, that cures the desire for it.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 9, 2023

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
It's an 87k mi N20 from 2013. It's out of even the free extended warranty on timing chain guides.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think I heard after '15 or '16 the N20's are generally safe? But when I was debating between E91 or F31, it seemed like basically "Get a 330 or don't get one at all"

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Was just walking home from lunch and noticed this.

:thunk:

I think it's just washer fluid? It had a bluish tint to it, no scent that I could notice. I looked around in the bay but didn't see anything. Incidentally it's going to the shop tomorrow for an exhaust leak so I guess I'll just ask them about it, but any ideas? Seems weird to be pooling only directly under the bumper like that, and partially dripping down the body. I guess it must be the headlight washer system

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, I don't think it was the injector.

It had backed out enough to let enough compression out to pop the coil pack off. I have some spare plugs and I'm gonna check the rest of them. I've gotten real good at getting down to the plugs.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Was just walking home from lunch and noticed this.

:thunk:

I think it's just washer fluid? It had a bluish tint to it, no scent that I could notice. I looked around in the bay but didn't see anything. Incidentally it's going to the shop tomorrow for an exhaust leak so I guess I'll just ask them about it, but any ideas? Seems weird to be pooling only directly under the bumper like that, and partially dripping down the body. I guess it must be the headlight washer system

I had a similar leak in my P.LCI e91, but on the port side. Turned out to be a leaky washer noozle.

E: Before I yanked the bumper to deal with it, I confirmed by lifting the washer up and looking for wet. An old card does a dece job of lifting the painted cap up without marring paint.

E2: VVV I chased that for a while, but eventually found that it was indeed the headlight washer, and not just the gasket to the hose feeding the headlight washer.

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 11, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Washer pump connection into the reservoir is a common failure point. Undo the fender liner, pull the reservoir and swap it out. The part is $15 bucks if that is what it is.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I can't find a definite source when it comes to the E39 touring - is it safe to jack the rear end up on the diff? If not, how would you guys do it? Some forum posters say it's different regarding the diff when it comes to the touring.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I mean, there's gotta be a rear lift point. On my e91 there's a brace behind the diff that I use to lift the car.

Why can't you go side to side?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Every car I've ever had with a rear diff has been perfectly fine to jack up by the rear diff, including E46es. Can't imagine it being too different for the E39 touring, sure there's a little bit more weight on the rear compared to the sedan but not a whole lot relatively speaking.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

As much as part of me will miss the M5, I’m stupidly happy with the iX M60. Definitely heavy but it really does feel like the future of BMW and I really like it. And hands down the best car audio system I’ve ever heard. And I had a brother who spent a decade doing custom car stereos back when such a thing was fashionable.

The stuff like ‘My Modes’ that sound super cheesy on paper are actually kind of fun. Relax mode turns on seat massaging and soothing colors and noises and when you step on the throttle it sounds like a choir of angels singing. It is entirely surreal. To try once. Then never touch it again probably. Yes, I’m contradicting myself on the internet. Sue me.
Weird to wrap my head around the fact that stop and go traffic is more efficient than SoCal highway speeds, and at least the sort of self driving stuff is great in traffic.

I’m also lucky enough that my local utility paid for my 48amp home charger, and install. And there are other groups giving out rebates so I’ll literally make hundreds of dollars just for getting a home L2 charger. Charging at home so far is a revelation. And the whole preconditioning thing is great. Tell the car when you want to be ready to leave and the battery and cabin are at the temp you want, ready to unplug and hit the road. Range so far is a zero concern. Not sure if I’ll take it for a week in Big Bear full of people and stuff, for a car with an ‘official’ rating of <300 miles it looks like reality is 330-350.

As for driving. It’s different, coming from an M5. But it’s nice. Hard to decouple the driving part from the rest of the experience since it is so totally quiet and comfortable. It feels heavy, and the brake pedal feel takes some getting used to, and it certainly does not stop like the M5. But being able to slam 5 people’s heads into the headrest at any speed in a literal instant will never not be fun. Feels planted and connected to the road while the air ride smooths everything out. Whereas the M5 was like, “you want 9/10s on this freeway cloverleaf, good luck trying to find it before you soil yourself, boy racer” and iX is like “woah woah, let’s not try to rewrite newtonian physics when changing directions or stopping, but rewrite the rules of time and space in a forward direction as you wish but know that my safety systems cannot react faster than you can rear end the car in front of you”.

Happy to answer questions or feel free to offer a diagnosis as to what kind of psychosis I have based on all these words. But yes, I’m the eye dee ten tee who turned their M5 into an iX.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Can I have your M5?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
which M5 did you have because i am too lazy to go look through your post history

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
As an owner of a S65 E92 I'm curious about why you'd want to hear the radio? Does that car not have a NA V8 in it or something? RIP the second M button on your yoke though

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Started getting the 335 ready for summer, starting with a battery swap. It's a late 2014 delivery car with an original battery, so I proactively swapped it and registered the new one.

Going to need some suspension updates, I think the control arms are worn. Also about due for spark plugs at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not super psyched with this "M Sport conversion kit" I ordered. Doesn't come with any of the screws / hardware to fully attach some of the grille supports, and the fog light wiring is completely different.

Just needed to get the bumper put on so I can drop it off for the wrap on Monday, will have to figure out how to get the lights attached later :v:

Kinda feeling like I should've just removed the front plate bracket and repaired the holes on the OEM bumper but oh well!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

which M5 did you have because i am too lazy to go look through your post history

2019 comp. Was strangely optioned and had sat in the basement of the dealer for six months and I got a stupid good deal on it with a really bad (high) residual on the lease.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ultimate Mango posted:

2019 comp. Was strangely optioned and had sat in the basement of the dealer for six months and I got a stupid good deal on it with a really bad (high) residual on the lease.

How strangely optioned?

I spent over 2 hours (and over $30 in "rent") cleaning my E39. Still has plenty rock chips with rust as well as the rust in the tail gate (and window), but looks much nicer now. Put some trim restorer on the faded trim, and that alone makes a masive difference. Also discovered the "Sport" mode on the transmission on my way home. Much snappier and nicer in city traffic.
This car is quickly becoming my favorite of all the cars I've had.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone used a steering wheel rewrap service? Or should I just get a new wheel?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
New wheel, just find a solid one on ebay and use some good leather cleaner and conditioner.

Unless you want a special color and have money to burn that is...

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bought a 140k mile manual E82 128i. Gonna fly down to LA Saturday and drive it back. The N52 is me, and I am the N52. (Though I think technically both of mine are N51)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Voltage posted:

New wheel, just find a solid one on ebay and use some good leather cleaner and conditioner.

Unless you want a special color and have money to burn that is...
It's more that the E9x msport wheels wear down really easy due to the cheapshit perforated leather, and I'm thinking a higher quality wrap may help to prevent this

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Bought a 140k mile manual E82 128i. Gonna fly down to LA Saturday and drive it back. The N52 is me, and I am the N52. (Though I think technically both of mine are N51)

Nice!

Got the F30 out since it's warm here now. I need to put the summer tires on, because I've booked time at VAC to have the worn out original control arms replaced with their monoball arms.

The F36 is fine, and the torque is great, but driving the manual around is so much more fun for me. Also the liftback is really convenient. I guess given what I'll be spending on repairs and maintenance for the F30 this summer I'm going to leave the F36 alone. Maybe M Perf brakes and actual summer tires next year.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's more that the E9x msport wheels wear down really easy due to the cheapshit perforated leather, and I'm thinking a higher quality wrap may help to prevent this

I got the raggedy Alcantara wheel in my ZHP rewrapped by Coby Wheel in leather and was very happy with how it turned out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

It's the unfortunate reality of the current used car market. And I don't even know why I'm looking at more BMW's.

My car might have a hideous face but it's an in-warranty M car, which means it's the best BMW.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TheBacon posted:

Where in LA? I've got a couple of canyon roads you should take an hour or two to check out if you've got the time before driving back, if that's of interest. It's absolutely beautiful here today, 72 with warm sun and cool breeze, so hopefully the weather holds for you through the weekend.

KillHour posted:

My car might have a hideous face but it's an in-warranty M car, which means it's the best BMW.
I checked and this is false! It's actually the E92 M3 that you bought with cash a decade ago.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

At least it was an easy fix :v:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

Where in LA? I've got a couple of canyon roads you should take an hour or two to check out if you've got the time before driving back, if that's of interest. It's absolutely beautiful here today, 72 with warm sun and cool breeze, so hopefully the weather holds for you through the weekend.

I checked and this is false! It's actually the E92 M3 that you bought with cash a decade ago.

Well lmao technically the valley. Flying in to BUR, car is in Ventura. Unfortunately I have to be back in Seattle Sunday afternoon so I don’t think I’ll have time to do more than take my buddy out to lunch that transacted with the dealer for me and is picking me up. I have down angles crest before up to newcombs, but on my motorcycle. I absolutely plan on being down again when I can take my time coming down the whole coast and spending time in the Bay again. Maybe I’ll have S65 swapped one of my dumb BMWs by then lmao.

This is the small cars link https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/77f75e3f-7b57-4e22-b819-16bf8e318f28/

As to the second part of your post :hmmyes:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of your easy fix, once I get the control arms sorted, I need to address some "it's a BMW with 100k" stuff. One of those is spark plugs. I have the M Performance tune, which is rather mild, on now, and I'm contemplating putting a bigger intercooler on and bumping the power a bit, partly to make it feel as peppy as the B58. What's the general opinion, stock plugs or one step colder?

Also, it's going to need diff and transmission fluids, I'm assuming just stock fluids there is fine.

I'm probably also going to treat myself to taking it down to Classic Coachworks and having them respray the bumper and hood. It's less Black Sapphire Metallic and more Road Damage Gray Metallic. :( The overfast photo below hides it, but it's really bad. Basically all of my mileage is PA highway and yikes.

The photo is from last fall, but my BMW CCA badge took a solid hit at one point, there's a whole enamel chunk missing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

https://i.imgur.com/E0YofAE.mp4

Does this sound normal to anyone? I don’t recall my coolant pump ever making that noise until I got it back from the garage today after having the coolant pipe replaced.

This is how it sounds outside and it comes on the second you unlock the car.

https://i.imgur.com/8JHb46K.mp4

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 19, 2023

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ventura isn't the Valley, but we'll allow it today.

Get the car, have lunch, then spare maybe an extra 90 mins to drive down the PCH from Ventura to Malibu and take CA 23 (Decker Canyon) North back up to the 101 to the 405 to the 5. 40 miles you'll have enjoyed doing as the first ones in the new car. Bing bong simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ChineseBuffet posted:

I got the raggedy Alcantara wheel in my ZHP rewrapped by Coby Wheel in leather and was very happy with how it turned out.
I'll consider it. 265 is pretty steep though - that approaches the price of a new, rewrapped wheel.