Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The M1 is great but it is not the greater BMW than the E30 M3, loving fite me

Gonna get banned for this but yea I never understood the insane amounts of love for the M1.
It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It might be, but also it doesn't have popup headlights, so who's to say which is greater or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ShlIgm2Bw

Just for this machine being driven at the ragged edge of physics with it's motor screaming at 9000rpm makes it better, lack of popups aside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5lGqGN9Y2k

E30 M3 was built to fully exploit Group A rules and it really shows with how much of a giant slayer it is - light, powerful, handled like a dream being able t be driven well beyond it's grip level. BMW just havent made any M3 that compared since

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 14, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The arguments over the Bangle era are very funny now in retrospect

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think the M1 is absolutely awesome but will probably get crucified for saying that I think the dual roundels on the rear of the car look goofy.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

davebo posted:

New car thread probably isn't the best place for a car as old as me so I'll just do a thumbnail that's a link to three photos.

Someone posted your picture in r/e46 for some odd reason…

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Koirhor posted:

Some of the Bangle stuff has aged surprisingly well. The refresh 7, the M6 and M5 namely.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Q_res posted:

Some of the Bangle stuff has aged surprisingly well. The refresh 7, the M6 and M5 namely.

It’s been 14 years since I learned Chris Bangle was responsible (or at least in charge at the time) for the E46 design, still blows my mind.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
‘A huge blunder’: GM’s decision to ditch Apple CarPlay, Android Auto sparks backlash

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2023/04/14/gm-apple-carplay-android-auto-ford/70100598007/

quote:

Will Lindley says he is ready to make the family's next ride an electric vehicle and had hoped to buy it from General Motors. After all, his wife has been happy with her 2016 Cadillac SRX. But when they heard that GM intends to phase out Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on its future EVs, that was a deal breaker.

Lindley and others want the option the technology offers, which is to project their iPhone’s screen onto their vehicle’s infotainment display for everything from accessing contacts to apps. Instead, GM will offer a built-in Google-powered infotainment experience on its future EVs that offers versions of Google Maps, Google Assistant, Spotify, and more.

So, Lindley said, now he's considering the all-electric Ford Mustang Mach-E built by GM's crosstown rival.

Ford spokesman Alan Hall told the Detroit Free Press. "We continue to offer Apple Carplay and Android Auto because customers love the capability that enables easy access and control of their smartphone apps, especially our EV customers."

Hall said Ford's decision is based on "a combination of third party data, as well as proprietary internal customer feedback."

A commitment to iPhone technology is important to buyers, including Lindley and his wife.

"We’re an Apple family as far as computers," he said. "Both of our cars work with CarPlay. The navigation is there, all the contacts for our phone are there, so if CarPlay is not an option, we’re going to go elsewhere."

quote:

One high-profile influencer — tech writer Walt Mossberg — shared on his LinkedIn professional page an April 4 article from The Verge headlined, "Everybody hates GM's decision to kill Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for its EVs."

Mossberg introduced the article by saying, "I think this is a huge blunder, which puts greed over consumer choice. I wouldn’t buy a car without Car Play and I bet millions of others feel the same."

quote:

A driver's ability to display their phone's screen on a car's infotainment screen through CarPlay or Android Auto is something shoppers care about, said Ivan Drury, director of insights at car shopping site Edmunds.com.

Based on shopper data in which people can select search filters when looking for new and used cars on Edmunds, Drury said the findings showed, "Nearly half of consumers putting connectivity on their must haves will be concerned about those functions from Apple and Android."

Even for shoppers of used vehicles, Drury said the numbers of shoppers wanting the technologies are similar to those shopping for new cars. Drury said the reason the technology is so popular among car buyers is because it is familiar and people like consistency.

Yet the J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study released in February listed six of the top 10 problem areas in the study as infotainment-related, including Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity.

“Initial Quality Study and Vehicle Dependability Study data are telling us that if the Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity trend continues, this area could take over the least-coveted top spot for problems in long-term durability,” said Frank Hanley, senior director of auto benchmarking at J.D. Power.

But ever since the inception of an in-vehicle entertainment system began, there has been a love/hate relationship with the native apps and interfaces, Drury said, adding that, "many are the source for major frustrations ... leading consumers to either looking down at their phone, mounting a suction cup based holder or ... they can bypass the shenanigans and simply connect through Apple Carplay or Android Auto."

The systems have led to a level of familiarity so that even if a driver is in a different vehicle, the experience they have with their phone and infotainment system stays constant. But he admits GM's decision is initially jarring given Apple's "cult-like following."

"But from a business stance, I get it, data is valuable, vehicle usage statistics can help to make decisions about future vehicle design, marketing, et cetera ... but it can be leveraged for repackaging and selling," Drury said. "While I can't imagine that GM will be losing their entire base of iPhone users, they're certainly giving them a reason to look elsewhere."

I'm glad GM is getting savaged by this decision.

Also...lol...
https://twitter.com/strngwys/status/1645889145078939651

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of BMW roundels.

A while back I noticed that some BMWs have butterfly valves in their tailpipes.
Some kindly goons explained its to help reduce NVH

How long before they start offering as an option, a BMW emblem butterfly valve?

that you have to subscribe to. And if you give up your subscription, someone comes in the middle of the night to change it to a plebian regular butterfly valve

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

The Midniter posted:

I think the M1 is absolutely awesome but will probably get crucified for saying that I think the dual roundels on the rear of the car look goofy.

I've always thought the same thing. They could have made a slightly smaller roundel and put it in the middle. Or made it a decal like the "M1" and put that in the middle.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

dk2m posted:

These design choices start making sense when I realized that BMW, along with Benz, sells more cars in China than they do in the EU and the US. I think we’ve entered the era where these kinds of cars appeal to the Chinese market and that market sets the taste, sorta similar to how Hollywood has to cater in the same way.

I was reading that the average Rolls Royce buyer is under 40 now, so I am blaming tasteless overpaid media influencer youngsters for all this new BMW design garbage. I DEMAND ROAD "PRESENCE!" LOOK AT ME! PLEASE LOOK AT ME!!!!!! PLEASE SUBSCRIBE AND HIT THAT BELL!

Also, as a very old person in this thread (born in 1968), the BMW 2002, E30, E46, E38 are basically the "timeless" entries although most of the 3/5/7 entries (except the weird mid-2000's) have been acceptable until these latest snout and split headlight abominations.

The M1 at the time I remember as "wow, that's cool but there aren't many of them and Magnum P.I.'s Ferrari I can see on TV every week".

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 14, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
lol calm down grandpa

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not a good angle.

https://twitter.com/DarraghMcKenna/status/1646826404321820672?t=uX6A6vlhLxL0AayR7W912A&s=19

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks like if you tried to buy a 911 from Wish.com there

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Hide the badges and I would guess it's Mercedes "AMG" version of the EQE.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my take that it is hideous stays winning

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I liked the concept but the amount of fuckery you have to perform to make it actually work makes it look poo poo. That bumper section is godawful.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My take is that the exterior odd but ok on the outside but it has this ugly rear end fake column shifter on the inside that completely ruins it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
now we're talkin

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The funkiness past the C-pillar in the Ioniq 6 stems from the fact that it was designed to hit as low of a drag coefficient as possible.

It's still better than the Mercedes EQS, which was designed under the same principles. I've seen a few of those out on the road, and the EQS looks even stranger in-person.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

now we're talkin

Louvers improve every car in all aspects(beside rear view capability)

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

now we're talkin

I support the added safety of a sixth brake light

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It might be, but also it doesn't have popup headlights, so who's to say which is greater or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6A6FOZ5pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT0Y6xlLI1s

Utterly wild selection of cars. E30 M3's, VP and VL Commodores, EA and EB Falcons, Sierra RS500's, 964's, GT-R's in the first clip, then you get into the production stuff: AE82 and AE86 Corollas, Galant VR4, Pulsar GTi-R, a Sierra Cosworth sedan, a loving SAAB!

All of this footage is fantastic, including the cars, early 90's TV work and the wellington backdrop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The dealer down the road from me has a white one which I think looks pretty sharp - the contrasting elements really help. It does look odd with the front bumper vents open though.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

chupacabron posted:

I support the added safety of a sixth brake light

I support it only if the extra brake lights are progressive.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
And then the dealers can really rake in the markup by charging to install pulse flasher modules for each one.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It looks like an Infiniti J30 from that angle.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just for this machine being driven at the ragged edge of physics with it's motor screaming at 9000rpm makes it better, lack of popups aside

E30 M3 was built to fully exploit Group A rules and it really shows with how much of a giant slayer it is - light, powerful, handled like a dream being able t be driven well beyond it's grip level. BMW just havent made any M3 that compared since

I've seen the first one before and yeah it's awesome, BUT this is where my only criticism of the M3 comes in. I agree it's great and iconic, however, it's at its best in race trim, on the ragged edge at 9000rpm like you say, and many say as a road car you simply don't reach those heights and actually a 325 is a better daily. But hey the M1 was also a dominant race car for a short period too. So I think driving on the road, you'd get more out of the M1, because of the presence and theatre of the rare supercar bit. I admit this is all a bit nebulous and vibes based though, rather than pure driving experience.

Koirhor posted:

It's always been funny since almost no one realises the next point:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It’s been 14 years since I learned Chris Bangle was responsible (or at least in charge at the time) for the E46 design, still blows my mind.

Yup, he also did the placed-on-a-pedestal E46. So is he terrible or not, make up your minds fans.

Q_res posted:

I think the 6 not so much, but most of the E60 has indeed aged incredibly well, better than the E46 if you ask me, especially the rear 3/4 view. See a clean LCI model and they look practically brand new. And I agree that the incredibly minor changes on the facelift 7 made a massive difference.

I don't think this is going to happen with the current offenders though. Certainly not the M3/4 grille. Probably not the XM, although I think past the lipstick on a pig grille, which is gopping, the rest of the car might, along with the new 7 - again the rest of the car is pretty good modern 3 box big limo sedan stuff which is going away these days, it's the headlights that are cooked.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Yup, he also did the placed-on-a-pedestal E46. So is he terrible or not, make up your minds fans.

I know you’re being facetious, but ‘designed under someone else’s leadership’ and ‘designed with free rein’ are drastically different things.

Bangle was talented, but also had poo poo ideas. He needed someone to restrain him to be his best.

I still turn my head every time I see an e46 in good condition. It’s easily one of the best looking cars from that time period.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I know you’re being facetious, but ‘designed under someone else’s leadership’ and ‘designed with free rein’ are drastically different things.

Bangle was talented, but also had poo poo ideas. He needed someone to restrain him to be his best.

I still turn my head every time I see an e46 in good condition. It’s easily one of the best looking cars from that time period.

Most creators benefit from working with a good editor.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Only one of these looks like it crawled out of the ocean and died on a beach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 15, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Bangle 5 series looks fine nowadays so long as it has fairly large wheels optioned.

The 6 and 7 series from the same era continue to look bad to me though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
This is the new Lancia design language

https://www.lancia.it/lancia-pu-ra-hpe

The side cameras flip up vertically, which is a nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcSDPMfELTY

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Can't say I dislike it, but where are they looking to position Lancia? If it's going to be Buick to Alfa's Cadillac, less sporty, softer, upmarket, I'm not sure Italy is enough of a domestic market to sustain that, given that DS is already there in the rest of Europe.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

JohnCompany posted:

Can't say I dislike it, but where are they looking to position Lancia? If it's going to be Buick to Alfa's Cadillac, less sporty, softer, upmarket, I'm not sure Italy is enough of a domestic market to sustain that, given that DS is already there in the rest of Europe.

Given that the known three vehicles(ypsilon-delta-gamma) are within the 4-4.5m sizes, I'm expecting either DS to move upsize or to replace locales. DS are big in the east but have limited success in EU due to being just a nicer trim on citroens vehicle sold as a distinct brand, which has impacted customer interest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Nbg1tdDUA

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

moist turtleneck posted:

now we're talkin

Just vaporize anyone who follows behind you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

now we're talkin

https://youtu.be/UjAZnGeBcgg

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Lol at this junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Junk boxes with giant android tablets to turn on the AC doing 70k numbers.