Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/06/battletome-soulblight-gravelords-ushers-in-a-new-era-of-ravenous-spell-slinging-vampires/

A rules preview best read during the day, or else you might get the urge to put on a velvet cloak and go "Bleigh!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/06/battletome-soulblight-gravelords-ushers-in-a-new-era-of-ravenous-spell-slinging-vampires/

A rules preview best read during the day, or else you might get the urge to put on a velvet cloak and go "Bleigh!".

What do we do if we feel this urge all the time anyway

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Then I'm surprised you're awake at this hour. :v:

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Hey it's only 6:30 here, sun's not up ye--[opens window, is destroyed]

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/06/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-metawatch-whats-in-the-new-battlescroll/

Metawatch time, but also, more importantly, Battlescroll update time as well.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/SEC7DZXV8M0W04cG.pdf

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

F for Gitz and Arcane Tome.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Local Kruleboyz players is going to be happy, though. Finally, Scare Tactics does something!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gloomspite getting smacked with points increases and what’s clearly a targeted Rally nerf isn’t surprising, Skragrott and Squigs have been tearing up tourneys.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Guess my stormcast dont have a single artifact worth taking now that Arcane Tome got nerfed

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Yeah, I think my Stormcasts are going to stay on the shelf for a time. Meanwhile, the new Bonereapers will do fine.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Talas posted:

F for Gitz and Arcane Tome.

Arcane tome is still probably the best artifact in the game and will be taken a lot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, even with the nerf, getting another one cast/unbind wizard is a big deal, especially if they have a beefy attack to buff with Flaming Weapon or you have a lot of decent low difficulty spells in faction.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Yeah Arcane is still going on my Akhelian King just because getting double digit damage 3 attacks when I fight is too good a combo to not do.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Can you still take Flaming Weapon with a Tome'd hero? Seems like you could read that as a no. The new wording feels a bit ambiguous

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

From this wording he can't - even if you take an enchancment spell he can't learn it. So dude with a tome is stuck casting mystic shield and that is it

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

You do not get flaming weapon or other spell lores. You only get Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield and any endless spells you paid for.

Mystic Shield is still pretty good so it will see play but its a pretty severe nerf.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well chalk up another one in the "I can't read" column.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/07/the-mortisan-ossifector-has-the-skills-to-improve-upon-petrified-perfection/

You like bones? Course ya do!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Danimo posted:

You do not get flaming weapon or other spell lores. You only get Arcane Bolt, Mystic Shield and any endless spells you paid for.

Mystic Shield is still pretty good so it will see play but its a pretty severe nerf.

Do I get flaming weapon with the Arch Sorcerer command perk in StDs?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

Do I get flaming weapon with the Arch Sorcerer command perk in StDs?

No, but you can use your regular spell pick to choose it if you pick Arch Sorcerer.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-soulblight-gravelords-3-0-the-goonhammer-review-part-1-the-rules/
https://www.goonhammer.com/soulblight-gravelords-3-0-the-goonhammer-review-part-2-the-units/

https://www.goonhammer.com/battletome-ossiarch-bonereapers-3-0-the-goonhammer-review/

Goonhammer reviews of the Vampire and Bonecast tomes are up.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Glad I decided not to get a huge blob of zombies. Looks like vampire heavy lists could be good, which is what I want to play anyway.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also got it confirmed that Arkhan is still dead in lore. There are some reports of his silhouette showing in Hyshian sandstorms than vanishing, but that's pretty much it.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Dead again? How did that happen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GreenMarine posted:

Dead again? How did that happen.

The Light of Eltharion hurled him into the raw magic at the edge of Hysh. Seems to have stuck for the whole edition, tho he’s still fieldable as a unit.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I suppose he'll stay like that until Nagash is back from his forced vacation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's such a small thing but I do appreciate they gave Eltharion that moment to get his revenge.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Now that I've finished my dragon, I can't wait to be underwhelmed by his performance on the table.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Looks good well done.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dreylad posted:

It's such a small thing but I do appreciate they gave Eltharion that moment to get his revenge.

It’s also really fun that Arkhan loses because he assumes he knows how ghosts work and can treat Eltharion like a ghost, rather than a very angry elf whose body is a suit of armor.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished one of the Cursed City vampires today. First serious attempt with glazes, which went so and so in the end.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cooked Auto posted:

Finished one of the Cursed City vampires today. First serious attempt with glazes, which went so and so in the end.

the rock is extremely good

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/04/14/old-world-development-diary-on-bases-and-the-barons-of-bretonnia

Suddenly, like a bolt out of the blue, an Old Worlds article. This time dealing with a brief talk about colours, but more importantly, bases.

Also, before anyone goes off on it, I'm pretty sure all of those shots are from the older models but painted at a better standard.

Square bases are indeed back in vogue, but now they're a size bigger than before.
So 20mm bases are now replaced with 25mm and 25mm and 25x50 bases are also going to be replaced by something bigger.

As for the reason why?

quote:

Over the decades, our models have become larger and more dynamic, which means that many units have become difficult to arrange into ranks and files. Players must be able to line their models up without complex planning about which spear has to go where in order to use them in-game. On top of that, we didn’t like that the back ranks were hidden and hard to see.

If you were hoping not to have to rebase your whole WHFB army you just pulled out of storage, then I have bad news.

quote:

Do I need to rebase my old army?
If you’re playing at home there’ll be no requirement to rebase anything. For casual play, the size of base will make a minimal difference to gameplay. The rules will be written assuming the new larger base sizes – so if you’re planning to play competitively, you might want to upgrade to larger bases,

Other details to note is that base sizes will be noted in the model profile, and square bases and movement trays will be returning to GW store inventories.

They are also STRONGLY hinting that something will be shown off at Warhammer Fest the weekend after next.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to rebase (or play competitively) but it looks like you could probably skate by on having them in the proper size movement tray.

They're teasing me with some greenskins in the one picture. I really want to get some pump wagons.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Danny LaFever posted:

I'm not going to rebase (or play competitively) but it looks like you could probably skate by on having them in the proper size movement tray.

They're teasing me with some greenskins in the one picture. I really want to get some pump wagons.

I got into Warhammer fantasy and never played with square bases, despite it being one of the neat features of the game for me at the time. Having spent a considerable amount of time rebasing all my Skaven over the years, I will never swap bases again. What a hassle that was. For those that have done both, is there a downside to using movement trays for circle bases? I'm never going to be a high-end competitive player, but I'm curious about playing with the old, crunchy rulesets as Horus Heresy has been fun to casually play and paint.

Just curious if trying to make round bases work with movement trays is some kind of bad idea. Am I somehow going to at a disadvantage in any particular way?

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I do have circle bases I play in WHF (mostly SEMs) and from what i've seen. Movement trays kind of stink for round base.

I was more thinking that I have a bunch of stuff on 20mm bases and I'm not going to rebase them, but if I got the appropriate size movement tray to accomodate 25mm and just put my 20mm on it only the biggest grognard would object.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy Ferret posted:

I got into Warhammer fantasy and never played with square bases, despite it being one of the neat features of the game for me at the time. Having spent a considerable amount of time rebasing all my Skaven over the years, I will never swap bases again. What a hassle that was. For those that have done both, is there a downside to using movement trays for circle bases? I'm never going to be a high-end competitive player, but I'm curious about playing with the old, crunchy rulesets as Horus Heresy has been fun to casually play and paint.

Just curious if trying to make round bases work with movement trays is some kind of bad idea. Am I somehow going to at a disadvantage in any particular way?

Making round bases work with movement trays is incredibly easy, and GW is making a huge mistake here. No one is going to want to rebase anything, and no one wants to buy Warhammer fantasy figures they can only use in 1 of the 2 fantasy games they have. I am just flabbergasted at how bad of a decision they are making. This decision also necessitates the need for stocking a bunch of different square base sizes as well.

Conquest: Last Argument of Kings has solved this issue and it works perfectly. The movement trays are square, but accept round bases. Therefore you can use your figures as round based individuals for skirmish games, or rank them up for rank and flank. Their bases are set up to allow expending and collapsing flanks too; each square base is not super big and only holds 4 units. So you would have, say, 4 or so bases total in a movement tray.

Other companies offer big movement trays that accept circular bases.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

If only the tray is going to be valid, then why make a difference between square and round bases? Or sizes? Just make movement trays for different kind of bases and be done with it.

Make TOW the tray game.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
our group is really lax we don't care about bases, allow proxies etc.

GW are known for bad decisions, but I'm not playing in tournies or anything so I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I wonder if the repainted old models mean they're going to start reselling old plastic kits, or if its just an easy way to preview new paint schemes. I would do awful things to get the old empire general and huntsmen kits that went out of production.