Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i compare Skip & Loafer as a mix of Kare Kano & Kimi ni Todoke
don't think the cast is that mature enough to put side by side with the Honey & Clover college/actual working adult part of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Watched the second episode of working for god in a godless world and holy poo poo it’s bad lol. I was kinda hoping it would continue to balance out the goofy with the darker bits but oh no. Also they’re staying committed to the 3DCG magical animals for… some reason? It can’t possibly be saving them money at this point.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
animation budget isn't about saving money. it's about getting the episode out already. the animation staff have no reason to care about how much money is in the production when they're not getting any of it but they do have to care about how fast they can get their work done

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Does it really save time to replace a mostly not moving small creature with a 3D render of a mostly not moving small creature? Feels like it would have been less trouble to just draw it?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like artstyle for the Megumin ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc3wwucDFUg

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
budget = money = man-hours

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Talorat posted:

Does it really save time to replace a mostly not moving small creature with a 3D render of a mostly not moving small creature? Feels like it would have been less trouble to just draw it?

Different people do 3D stuff because it takes a different skillset.

Edit: Which means it's easier to find one who's not booked, probably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the issue facing anime isnt necessarily money its manpower. thats why anime is constantly outsourcing to china and korea, or why wonder egg priority had to hire guys whose twitter bio said 'animator'

the reason shows use cg for random crap like that is because cg guys are separate guys from 2d animation guys so you can throw more bodies at stuff to get it out on time

cg is rarely an actual cost saving measure except when a show is meant to go extremely long. because once you have the models made making four or five seasons of something is pretty cheap assuming you don't have to make a bunch of new models every season - see bang dream getting way more anime than basically any other mobile game despite being popular but not massively so, its because its a full cg anime that is 90% characters talking and 10% concert scenes and takes place in a mundane real world setting, entirely within one town. they can crank out seasons of that until the end of time. ofc animating the models still takes time and skill (and ergo money) but you know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

too much loving anime is being made and the industry doesnt have enough people to make everything. money is not the problem, or at least not the most immediate one. if the industry paid better more people would join it but that's a solution that would take multiple years to take effect.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

halt all the other anime until HnK season 2 is made

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hell yeah it's great.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
Some unnecessary details about Alice Gear Aegis: Expansion ep 2:

1. The personal belongings the girls were transferring at the beginning of the episode refer to some in-game events.
For example, the giant bird head was one of the ornaments on their Christmas tree back in the Christmas event of 2019. By the way, the whole tree looks like this.
The cow head was also from an event costume (the model in this pic is Shitara, the tan girl). By the way, it's the reward of a milking event.

2. Kaoruko (the lady making bitter drinks for the girls) shares VA with Yotsuyu (the pink haired girl), thus not appearing in the credits. She believes that Good medicine tastes bitter so she always make extra bitter cuisines for others (e.g. use Swertia as an ingredient for cake). The other girls already guessed that so Nodoka became the only victim.

3. My personal theory about why Narukozaka's business was suddenly put to a halt (spoilers ofc, and probably will stay unrelated to the anime story)
One of the game's basic settings is: The technology behind Gear (mecha) used by actress was extracted from Vice (enemy) remains. So Vice is both a great threat and a great resource for humanity.
The timeline of Anime is set right after Operation Aki (mentioned in ep.1), where the Tokyo colony led an assault to a giant Vice colony. The Tokyo headquarter of AEGiS decided leaving the colony remains intact would probably result in serious international disputes (and therefore will hinder and threat Tokyo shard), so they secretly sent an elite squad and destroyed the colony completely.
Since the Captain of Narukozaka (the player character) was the apparent commander of Operation Aki, he probably took the blame of this action and was punished. I'm guessing it was based on a mutual consent between Narukozaka and Tokyo AEGiS so it won't last too long.

Eldsluft fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 14, 2023

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Thank you for your service

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Simon watched more premiers so you don’t have to:

Simon posted:

New Season Shuffle Results:

- The Dangers in My Heart: Extremely creepy boy with emo hair is fantasizing about killing all his classmates and especially one of them but then she borrows his stationary and he finds out she likes to eat snacks in the library after lunch or something so now he's way into her. Was weird and boring and not a little bit creepy. We skipped halfway into the episode.

- Blue Orchestra: Extremely detached boy with emo hair used to be a super good violinist but he gave up because his Dad who was a chain-smoking famous violin soloist left his mother after the news media found out he was having an affair. And now he doesn't want to play. But after an episode involving him being smacked in the face with a basketball and sent to the infirmary he meets Generic Girl-chan who is an amateur violinist and the PE teacher who is totally not sus holding "special lessons" in the infirmary after school puts the idea of forming a school orchestra in his head and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We watched the whole episode but we should have called it halfway in. Protip: if you want this exact plot setup go watch Your Lie in April it's miles more interesting.

- Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers: This absolutely defies explanation. It is a loving anime fever dream. In 2008 the population of Japan is suddenly brainwashed or something and they decide to confiscate all otaku goods and put all the otaku under "protection". The hero, Otaku Hero, starts a war of resistance against the oppressive government forces trying to lock up the otaku, pairing up with a weird magical girl named Anarchy and based off what has been said, also Magical Girls Blue and Pink. No one has names, they are literally just "Military Otaku" and "Train Otaku" and stuff. It's really loving weird and kind of budget animation and overall I'd say it's not great but it was like a train wreck in slow motion. Going into the Anime Shuffle playlist for sure.

- The Galaxy Next Door: Struggling shoujo manga author's parents die, leaving him to raise his two younger siblings and try and somehow pay for them to go to college. His assistants have both just quit to pursue solo work and now he's up against a deadline there's no way he can finish. But his editor has found a new applicant for the assistant position, he meets her and she's incredibly talented. Turns out she's actually the princess of the Star People and she read his manga in her Grandmother's book collection and got interested in him and becoming his assistant. But some stuff happens and he touches her tail and sees the universe for a second and as we all know, in anime if you touch the mysterious girl's tail it means you've got to get married. This one is actually played pretty straight, it seems to be a light Seinen drama / rom-com and at least from the first episode was not pervy or anything, kind of reminded me more of semi-serious works like Honey & Clover or March Comes in Like a Lion (though hopefully less depressing). Perfectly serviceable. Not my cup of tea personally, I don't think I'd watch more.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no its ok simon doesnt have to do tell me what shows i should watch

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

second ep of Kawaisugi Crisis was good

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

who is simon

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Simon, from Says

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Who the hell is Simon?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arist posted:

who is simon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHp_Rb3vCw

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I would prefer to have Richter tell me which anime to watch

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Andy Richter doesn't know poo poo about anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Richter Belmont

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

How dare you question the gospel of Simon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nobody prefers Leon. He's lame.

Trevor would give good reviews.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

haypliss posted:

Simon, from Says

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

In all seriousness, what's going on here is that a bunch of us are all watching these season premiers as a group, on shuffle, but Simon is the one who is actually doing the write-ups. I have neither the desire to do them myself, nor take credit for them, but I thought folks in the seasonal thread would find them interesting, so you get a Simon quote block. If folks hate them I can stop, they had been well received in previous incarnations of this thread when I actually remembered to post them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Talorat posted:

In all seriousness, what's going on here is that a bunch of us are all watching these season premiers as a group, on shuffle, but Simon is the one who is actually doing the write-ups. I have neither the desire to do them myself, nor take credit for them, but I thought folks in the seasonal thread would find them interesting, so you get a Simon quote block. If folks hate them I can stop, they had been well received in previous incarnations of this thread when I actually remembered to post them.

Heck, it's alright by me.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I don't mind, just having fun.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Talorat posted:

it's fine!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

I'm not going to lie, I was baited into watching this because I genuinely thought that "going to university" meant that the show was about a 19 year old going to university for the first time and not a 15 year old going to high school for the first time.

I can't really say it did much for me.

If I'm going to watch a romcom it's Yamada because at least that's playing with the girl being older and at university whilst the guy is still an 18 year old in high school.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Natural 20 posted:

I'm not going to lie, I was baited into watching this because I genuinely thought that "going to university" meant that the show was about a 19 year old going to university for the first time and not a 15 year old going to high school for the first time.

If I'm going to watch a romcom it's Yamada because at least that's playing with the girl being older and at university whilst the guy is still an 18 year old in high school.

I was also very very confused about "going to university" as well because I was thoroughly convinced that the setting was a high school

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Talorat posted:

thanks simon

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

'a guy i know' is important context and infinitely better than the fear, 'some internet opinion professional'

Oh Snapple! posted:

Andy Richter doesn't know poo poo about anime

let's make andy richter watch gintama

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Mashle ep2 is here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah sorry brainfart on my part.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Birdie Wing 2: I think this means they're cousins? Did we get Star Warsed?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 14, 2023

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

Birdie Wing 2: I think this means they're cousins? Did we get Star Warsed?

Wouldn't that be half sisters rather than cousins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Talorat posted:

banned for account sharing