Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There Bias Two posted:

Isn't Kat's reaction to this the perfect time to showcase some character development?

No time for that now, what's Loup up to???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

LOL @ "Nah, your girlfriend getting godlike superpowers is the perfect time for you to break up with her, I'll just set you up then give you two some privacy"

Annie's gonna be an accessory to murder

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 12, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... wait, what about the robot zombies?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Randalor posted:

... wait, what about the robot zombies?

died again on the way to their home planet

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
So I used to love Gunnerkrigg Court but kinda stopped following it, uh, a year? two? ago. It was around the time that Annie got split in two, I wasn't really feeling where the plot was going and just forgot to keep checking in on it at some point. I was thinking about catching up with it, but skimming the last couple pages of this discussion it seems like things have only gone downhill since then. Is it worth my time to catch up with the comic, or should I keep the good memories of it that I have and make up my own ending?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Esme posted:

So I used to love Gunnerkrigg Court but kinda stopped following it, uh, a year? two? ago. It was around the time that Annie got split in two, I wasn't really feeling where the plot was going and just forgot to keep checking in on it at some point. I was thinking about catching up with it, but skimming the last couple pages of this discussion it seems like things have only gone downhill since then. Is it worth my time to catch up with the comic, or should I keep the good memories of it that I have and make up my own ending?

It doesn't seem to be improving, so make up your own ending.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Esme posted:

wait until it’s done and rip the bandaid off all at once

i’m only checking it out of habit at this point tbh

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Alternatively catch up so you too can experience ever-increasing amounts of “when will Kat and Annie be the protagonists again? Where’s the rest of the cast? And why is it every time something important or something involving character development almost starts to happen on-screen there’s a chapter end symbol pop up, followed by a ‘glad that’s over with’ timeskip and/or a ‘yes we had that massive plot swerve revealed off camera, which I will now gloss over in a few speech bubbles’?” as every plot point gets rapidly ticked off so we can spend more time with the actual main character now: an edgy teen fursona bad boy.

Join us as we find new depths of :(

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Esme posted:

i made my goodbye post like a year ago, but i'm still stuck here out of morbid curiosity. don't be like me.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Well it was pretty cool when Kat's neck blew up, that was nice

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I don't like how Tom insists on skipping over the relationship moments.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Annointed posted:

I don't like how Tom insists on skipping over the relationship moments.

only the ones we care about at all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Are there any homosexual relationships left in Gunnerkrigg?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
drat, not gonna lie I was hoping for different answers, for the sake of how much I enjoyed the comic in the past and how much potential it had :( Sounds like I’ll be giving it a pass unless morbid curiosity gets the better of me. Thanks everyone.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Saddest thing. I was hoping for good noneuclidian factories like from Annie's perspective. But no it looks so empty and inert.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Annointed posted:

But no it looks so empty and inert.

Basically a thread title.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annointed posted:

Maybe robot and shadow, kind of? If shadow still exists.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Gamma and Zimmy have been confirmed by Word of God to be romantically involved, for whatever that's worth when it's not exactly the most healthy thing and Zimmy is marked for death.

Also yeah, I would classify whatever Robot and Shadow have going on as "a queer relationship".

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I think it's also reasonable to wonder if the current breakup isn't some way to expediate an Annie x Kat endgame, though I don't exactly trust Tom to handle it gracefully at this point.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

There Bias Two posted:

Imagine if Paz's final line in the comic is "well..."

Make of that what you well

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

YaketySass posted:

I think it's also reasonable to wonder if the current breakup isn't some way to expediate an Annie x Kat endgame, though I don't exactly trust Tom to handle it gracefully at this point.

Annie barely seems like a human being at this point, let alone someone who might pursue romantic attachments to people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Annointed posted:

Tom and Jerrek oh hey a bonus joke

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I know it's not a problem with just this one character, but it bothers me that Paz will likely exit the comic now, because that means she she really stopped being a character in her own right once she and Kat got together.

It was great seeing someone who knew the system was flawed but thought that she could do the most good by trying to fill a role in that system as ethically as possible.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Wow Annie, way to put Paz on the spot.

Also why is the plot happening off-screen again? Isn't Kat's reaction to this the perfect time to showcase some character development?

Yeah it's just how the writing is now.

Paz doesn't act like a fully fleshed character anymore so there's no development to be had here. At this point she is just a very bluntly used plot device. Her only major interactions for the longest time has been to challenge Kat/Annie's friendship in various ways and now she's leaving to give Kat a reason to fall into a Diego-esque arc. Or at least to compromise her so that she'll do something really stupid with Omega (which might be how she kills Zimmy) if it's not a complete fall.

It's unfortunate, because that one scene with her trying to console Kat about the court's wrongdoings was nice, but Kat and everyone else seemed to have forgotten all about that so whatever. If we had gotten more of that and maybe more interactions with her and the cast that didn't just involve antagonizing Annie or centering herself around Kat, it would have felt more organic instead of contrived like this. But this would be a completely different comic if things were handled with any care at this point.

It's kinda funny, she's basically birdboy v 2.0. Only instead of becoming a bird, she just talks to them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

There Bias Two posted:

Annie barely seems like a human being at this point, let alone someone who might pursue romantic attachments to people.

That doesn’t rule out a poorly written pairing off

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

YaketySass posted:

Chibisoma’s revenge

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

This is a lovely page, but also drat yeah Paz is just gone forever now then, huh.

I wonder what flowers those are supposed to be? Probably something chosen for their meaning. Tulips? Yellow tulips can mean joy, hope and happiness, as well as hopeless/unrequited love.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Nice emotion-laden consequences to the events of the plot that breaks up one of the most longstanding relationships to the comic, revealed in a heartbreaking conversation where Kat’s triumph is cut abruptly short.

Where? Oh, off-screen.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Is this to save time to skip toward the ending? The ratio of loup to non loup is growing in the wrong direction.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

coolusername posted:

Nice emotion-laden consequences to the events of the plot that breaks up one of the most longstanding relationships to the comic, revealed in a heartbreaking conversation where Kat’s triumph is cut abruptly short.

Where? Oh, off-screen.

Well...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

coolusername posted:

Where? Oh, off-screen.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

coolusername posted:

Where? Oh, off-screen.

First thing this reminded me of:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a really good page, especially with how it draws focus to the port on Kat’s neck

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't mind the breakup happening off-screen even a bit here. The thing is, this page is "showing" rather than "telling." It shows us a lot, just through implication: The fact that Kat is here hugging Paz goodbye shows you exactly what kind of breakup this was, and shows you what type of people Kat and Paz are, and how they feel about each other still, that they want to part like this even after breaking up. This is not to say that one couldn't draw the scene where Paz breaks the news, and Kat's reaction, etc and do it well. But it's a bit like horror movie rules: What I can imagine happened, through implication, makes me sad enough. If you've ever had to end a relationship not because you didn't love the other person, but because you just knew it wasn't going to work regardless of how you felt (or been in the other position), this scene is crushing.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 14, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There Bias Two posted:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I don't mind the breakup happening off-screen even a bit here. The thing is, this page is "showing" rather than "telling." It shows us a lot, just through implication: The fact that Kat is here hugging Paz goodbye shows you exactly what kind of breakup this was, and shows you what type of people Kat and Paz are, and how they feel about each other still, that they want to part like this even after breaking up. This is not to say that one couldn't draw the scene where Paz breaks the news, and Kat's reaction, etc and do it well. But it's a bit like horror movie rules: What I can imagine happened, through implication, makes me sad enough. If you've ever had to end a relationship not because you didn't love the other person, but because you just knew it wasn't going to work regardless of how you felt (or been in the other position), this scene is crushing.

Agreed, this is a really good page.

The only problem is we got like an entire chapter about Loup dating a robot instead of seeing Paz and Kat really interact in the past several years???

But this page is good and says a lot with their body language. All the other couples off to the side to, really hammering in what they are losing.

Needs more Loup however.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I keep asking myself every time a new update drops, "Okay but where's Loup??" Hopefully he's a bigger part of the next chapter!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

FlocksOfMice posted:

Agreed, this is a really good page.

The only problem is we got like an entire chapter about Loup dating a robot instead of seeing Paz and Kat really interact in the past several years???

But this page is good and says a lot with their body language. All the other couples off to the side to, really hammering in what they are losing.

Needs more Loup however.

This sums it up. It's not a bad page - it's a beautiful page. I agree with what another poster said about how the composition bringing attention to the port on Kat's neck is a nice touch. It's only frustrating because of what the comic has been up until this point. Thinking of the various Paz/Kat bits we've had, they've been some of the most endearing, lovely parts of the entire comic, and we could've had more of that.

We should be sad for what the characters are losing. Instead, it feels like I'm sad that the sun is setting on one of the once-decent parts of the comic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Chapter 89: Loup Goes to the Fireworks Factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the thing about this page is that it's coming after what should've been any kind of adventure at all but was instead yet again just a casual stroll ignoring the insane environment to perform a story beat that primarily just bundles yet another character off the story with no actual conflict of any kind, from anyone

the conversation didn't even need to be a fight. the conversation would have served to really pin down what kat thinks kat is right now and contrast it with what the people closest to her think kat is. as it is we've been completely outside kat's head for ages as she just blithely pops up to reveal some new plot convenience she's created like ignis in ff15 announcing a new recipe

instead it was just kind of a long, thready breath with exactly one cool moment that people started to react to appropriately until it was immediately undermined by goofy faces