Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

tokin opposition posted:

if you own a house you deserve an hour+ commute

rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Nastier Nate posted:

reveal yourself

You think that guy is some goon's son?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Coolness Averted posted:

https://twitter.com/i_Drohi/status/1645239796103540736?s=20

I know we joke that capitalism has utterly ruined imaginations, but this is really neat. Dude is seriously lamenting his 'idea being stolen' when his idea is just to be a go between for the folks with money and the folks already doing something -by his own admission.

Why are the funko pop soy people also the ones who are, or at least aspire to be, soulless? Consumption? Consumer identity?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The lovely battlestar galactica spinoff used that guy's original idea do not steal in 2010

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Why are the funko pop soy people also the ones who are, or at least aspire to be, soulless? Consumption? Consumer identity?

they're whole people they're just a little hosed up. or it's a bit of a mask adapted for their preferred method of posting. everyone gets a little one-dimensional sometimes. i've had friends drift in and out of that kind of thing and outside of that context nothing really changes.

zodium, explain. i bet you can say why brains do this. tell ff that p-zombies aren't real. tell him, zodium

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

[...] taking things from the [...] dumpsters, or work.
:feelsgood:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Behold, capitalist efficiency.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I worked at an electronic medical records software company doing support on their billing module at one point, and one of my more recent coworkers was asking me about what number what entity uses to identify what other entity (e.g. Blue Cross uses a nine-digit provider identifier to identify a doctor, but a fourteen-digit patient number to identify a patient kind of thing). I drew a diagram from memory that looked a bit like that with arrows going back and forth between insurances, providers, and patients designating who used what for whom, and the guy looked at me like I had grown a second head or something. I even looked at it when I was done and was trying to figure out how the hell I kept all that straight.

We don't even do this poo poo anywhere near as efficiently as we could. The insurers are now required to use NPIs to identify providers, and we could absolutely do the same thing with patients (require a patient identifier used with all insurance and providers), we just don't.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Unironically yes--just optimized for efficiency of extraction rather than efficiency of service

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That's a lot of jobs created just to keep that working! Imagine if it just went taxes to government to hospital to nurses, how many jobs would be lost?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

That's a lot of jobs created just to keep that working! Imagine if it just went taxes to government to hospital to nurses, how many jobs would be lost?

More like taxes -> government -> hospitals -> performing gay abortions for elderly smoking drug addicts! Why should I have to pay for that!!!!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Re: waste/dumpster diving
If you live in a college town, look up their move out dates for the dorms and pick through their dumpsters. Obviously go by price to target the rich kids. When we were growing up my mom would send the boys out to dig in the dumpsters and then have a garage sale with what we found. She cleared 2k the best year, AND that's how we got our first video game systems and most of our TV's.

Last year I got a propane camp grill, a couple hand stretched canvases, a fine set of knives, and some shelves. The year before I got a new set of air force ones in my wife's size.

Oh I also got this painting :) hit the art departments too

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My house is full of college student dumpster trash.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i think i would turn into a hoarder if I started hitting college move out dumpsters

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i think i would turn into a hoarder if I started hitting college move out dumpsters

I use it or donate, my mom had the right idea, but I haven't had the stars align to feel like doing a garage sale yet.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can't scavenge the dumpsters at moveout time anymore because the uni's sustainability people made a deal with Goodwill to collect all of it instead. So now Goodwill makes the money off of it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A little child labor never hurt anyone!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Big Labor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When are we gonna wrest the means of reproduction back from Big Labor anyway

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah, but most of the child labor reform is allowing even younger kids to have jobs, so a lot of them won't even be adolescents yet, and so therefore will be safer, right? That's definitely how that works.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarlosCCox/status/1643061974903734273

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpq8EXrOxNk

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

AxGrap posted:

Re: waste/dumpster diving
If you live in a college town, look up their move out dates for the dorms and pick through their dumpsters. Obviously go by price to target the rich kids. When we were growing up my mom would send the boys out to dig in the dumpsters and then have a garage sale with what we found. She cleared 2k the best year, AND that's how we got our first video game systems and most of our TV's.

Last year I got a propane camp grill, a couple hand stretched canvases, a fine set of knives, and some shelves. The year before I got a new set of air force ones in my wife's size.

Oh I also got this painting :) hit the art departments too

universities that teach computer touchers are a treasure trove of laptops u can refurbish and flip on ebay

in my experience u want to show up at the end of the first semester because more people failed out after 1 semester of not giving a poo poo vs a full year

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mycomancy posted:

Many of those Christians would gladly see you executed. Save your empathy for comrades who support your queerness, and never let god-botherers go without telling them their ideas are loving wack.

Dad?

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

Trap sprung. That's just an opinion, man, even if it's published on their website and fed into every news feed

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gotta start workin' early if they wanna pay for their birthday parties

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lol that's a post from this forum

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh hey they specifically recommended a friend of a friend's video about communism in dwarf fortress in the replies, that's nice of them :unsmith:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mister Bates posted:

when the money economy existed you actually had to be careful not to make the housing too nice and deliberately make most of your residential areas as lovely and tiny as possible, or all of your dwarves would be priced out of all housing in the fortress and you'd have hundreds of miserable homeless dwarves sleeping on the bare ground outside of the hundreds of vacant living quarters they couldn't afford

also you wanted the shittest and least-skilled tailors making clothes out of the lowest-quality fabrics available, or no one would be able to afford clothing and eventually their one outfit would fall apart and they'd all be naked.

one way to kind of address the problem was to create endless pointless busywork like carrying boulders back and forth from one end of the fortress to the other, by constantly deleting and recreating stockpiles, or other similar poo poo like using catapults to fire things into a bottomless chasm, just to give people something to do that counted as a job and paid them a wage

Here's the post from the China thread. I remember it cus I kicked off the conversation by pointing out how video games are better at teaching you how economics actually works than a western economics education because a lot of video games use a fundamentally materialist basis.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just want to acknowledge that I get the joke here. The article is behind a subscription.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

lol that's a post from this forum

Orange Devil posted:

Here's the post from the China thread. I remember it cus I kicked off the conversation by pointing out how video games are better at teaching you how economics actually works than a western economics education because a lot of video games use a fundamentally materialist basis.

Cool! Guess someone should let the OP know their post is doing numbers or whatever.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 14:59 on Apr 14, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

Oh hey they specifically recommended a friend of a friend's video about communism in dwarf fortress in the replies, that's nice of them :unsmith:

Nice av

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Also I quoted the video I think

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks, Expo70 made it for me when she heard I needed a new one :3:

Couldn't think of any good text to go under it though so I'm open to suggestions

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

The Demilich posted:

lol I'm going to die in poverty

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

hmm but have you considered this?

https://twitter.com/dr_ppetrov/status/1646450684466716672

https://twitter.com/dr_ppetrov

the brain scientist says its all bullshit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm glad this forum is responsible for making That Guy mad about RED SHILLS, good job guys

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thanks for linking to his twitter profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I really thought it would embed. Its really funny reading about the gettingbrain scientist.