Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CommonShore posted:

Idk if the stakes get changed from "some of these entire galaxies might get destroyed" to "some of these train passengers might get killed," you get a decent story.

Hell, even just a small character piece that finishes by in some way addressing the fact that, yes, we have to leave this person in (nazi germany analogue) afterwards, and it loving sucks

The_Doctor posted:

at least Voyager had episode storylines that said things.

I was referring more to how everything got wiped clean at the end of the episode. how dare the ship take damage for have difficult to repair problems for more than 2 episodes!!!!!!!1

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Voyager had 2 shuttle craft and no way to get more since they were out in the delta quadrant, so they had to be really really really careful not to getting them blown up. So over the course of the show about 9 of those 2 shuttle craft got destroyed

I kinda don't like how the TARDIS gets used the same way sometimes too--I seem to recall at least 3 times in NuWho of they TARDIS having to jettison rooms or sacrifice parts of itself or whatever

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

jivjov posted:

Voyager had 2 shuttle craft and no way to get more since they were out in the delta quadrant, so they had to be really really really careful not to getting them blown up. So over the course of the show about 9 of those 2 shuttle craft got destroyed

I kinda don't like how the TARDIS gets used the same way sometimes too--I seem to recall at least 3 times in NuWho of they TARDIS having to jettison rooms or sacrifice parts of itself or whatever

I mean at least the TARDIS regrowing rooms is canon,

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To large extent I can write off some of that as continuity sacrifice in a properly episodic show. Rather have some writers not bother keeping track of some important scarcity ep to ep, season to season if they're all actually trying to write an episode and do some plots that start and finish within that episode. I'll take that over this crap where the whole season is just one long two-parter-at-best plot's worth of ideas stretched across ten eps.

The bigger problem is a more general failure to ever utilize any of the interesting parts of Voyager's premise, except maybe that time they speedran the premise in Year of Hell really aggressively almost out of spite, like trying to show us a good time to make us not want it anymore?

In Who we've recently had most the entire universe "permanently destroyed but eh probably not" as if the classic war of time itself or whatever wasn't enough so I'm probably fine with absurdly inflated stakes in Who more than most places, long as they do it in one episode rather than try to flux it up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Classic Who had the Doctor jettisoning a bunch of the TARDIS to escape e-space (or Castrovalva? One of those), so it’s not without precedent

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's legitimately the only time I can remember the TARDIS having a piece of itself jettisoned off!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

That's legitimately the only time I can remember the TARDIS having a piece of itself jettisoned off!

I think Paradise Towers was the result of The Doctor jettisoning the swimming pool

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

ST Picard is doing an excellent job of delivering absolute nostalgia-driven fanslop with almost zero coherence. At least Voyager had episode storylines that said things.
Picard is like a comic-book MEGA EVENT written by an ultrafan who has decided that a throwaway line of dialogue 137 issues prior will be the key that brings back 17 old villains to fight the heroes. And all these secondary characters will come back for cameos - oh no, they've been killed off to raise the stakes because this is DARK and SERIOUS! You will not believe how HUGE and SHOCKING every single plot twist is! You won't see them coming because I am so clever and the guardian of the franchise and look I just want people to acknowledge how brilliant I am!!!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

woah, woah, spoilers for picard, jeez /s

i want to shovel the fanslop into my face ignorant to the fact that it is fanslop, at least!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have no plans to watch Picard, but that's because I've only seen, like, one episode of TNG.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Carnival of Monsters is Good Honest Fun, heartily recommend

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What are the smallest scale NuWho eps? Which ones have the smallest stakes?

Off the top of my head:
- End of the World, surprisingly. Cassandra only wants to get rid of the observation platform and dignitaries on board. Earth’s destruction is just happening in the background.

- Gridlock - it’s about a bunch of people trapped on an endless motorway.

- The Doctor’s Daughter
- Midnight - only the people on the spacebus are under threat
- Beast Below - authoritarian society and a starwhale
- Amy’s Choice - probably the most low stakes story, literally all a dream
- Vincent and the Doctor
- Hide

And more, I guess…?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The Girl Who Waited? Only one person is at stake and there's an extra one of her, so...

More seriously though I think that was a case where the new series wrung some excellent drama out of a premise where it's just one person's life at stake, but with incredibly difficult choices to be made that reveal a lot about all three of the core characters and also create irreparable rifts between them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

What are the smallest scale NuWho eps? Which ones have the smallest stakes?

Off the top of my head:
- End of the World, surprisingly. Cassandra only wants to get rid of the observation platform and dignitaries on board. Earth’s destruction is just happening in the background.

- Gridlock - it’s about a bunch of people trapped on an endless motorway.

- The Doctor’s Daughter
- Midnight - only the people on the spacebus are under threat
- Beast Below - authoritarian society and a starwhale
- Amy’s Choice - probably the most low stakes story, literally all a dream
- Vincent and the Doctor
- Hide

And more, I guess…?

I was alluding to Mummy on the Orient Express earlier with my "passengers on the train" comment.
Oxygen has just local stakes.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jerusalem posted:

It was like Bidmead's go-to, when you look back - Like you both said, I think they jettisoned a bunch to escape E-space, then again in Logopolis to escape the gravity bubble of the nested TARDISes, and then a third time in Castrovalva

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Last Christmas, only stakes are the immediate participants?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Is Last Christmas a classic Base Under Siege story? Discuss.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Coward posted:

Is Last Christmas a classic Base Under Siege story? Discuss.

Very self consciously so, yes.

Considering that The Master killed the Time Lords off screen somehow, and the Daleks are apparently doing OK, there's a good argument that the Doctor did lose the Last Great Time War. And there's the mass destruction of the Flux, which would have been nice to see the Doctor have some self doubt or vulnerability about it, instead of moping about the fob watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coward posted:

Is Last Christmas a classic

Yes!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Carnival of Monsters is Good Honest Fun, heartily recommend

Me: So basically the Doctor and Jo find themselves in an isolated environment designed for entertainment where actions are repeated constantly on a loop. There's an exit, but the inhabitants ignore it/can't see it.
Jonathan Nolan: :frogon:

Yes I know Westworld was based on the movie!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 15, 2023

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

OldMemes posted:

Very self consciously so, yes.

But does that make it a Base Under Siege story, or an homage to Base Under Siege stories???

And, yeah, I really like Last Christmas (although I think I would've preferred the original where Clara is written out and Shona becomes the new companion. Although we arguably then would not have had Heaven Sent nor Bill, so I am okay with it being the way it is).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
e: wrong thread

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2023

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1647292168845795329?s=20

His Torchwood audios were really good.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just listened to Cry of the Vultriss. The Constance/Flip pairing is an interesting one, because the two characters contrast and complement each other so well (and it goes without saying, Colin Baker is always great on audio).

The story starts out with a recap from the previous story, Static, with Constance dealing with being in a duplicate copy of her original body. Sadly, the story then doesn't explore the existential or emotional fallout of this, and instead swiftly moves on to be a political thriller about the Ice Warriors making first contact with a new species. I always prefer the depiction Ice Warriors as a largely peaceful, stern but fair race, it gives them a lot more depth than some Doctor Who races, even if 'rouge faction wants to go back to being conquerors' plot is a little overdone. Thankfully, the actors don't overplay the hissing 'ssss' noises, which can make some Ice Warrior stories hard to listen to.

Hopefully we can get some new Constance and Flip stories in the near future, they're a great companion pair.

Also listened to two short trips!

I am the Master is an interesting one, with the Decayed Master monologuing from a recording booth about a scheme to cause environmental collapse on an alien world. As well as performing, Geoffrey Beevers also wrote this one, and you can tell he's relishing it. It's more like a Companion Chronicle than a Short Trip, and it fits the Decayed Master, probably the most verbally complex of the incarnations, really well.

A Heart on Both Sides is a short story about The Eighth Doctor reuniting with Nyssa in the opening of the Time War. It deals with medical ethics and conflict in an interesting way. I could see this being a full cast episode in one of the Eighth Doctor: Time War boxsets, it's a very well structured story, and an interesting character bit for Nyssa.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 16, 2023

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

Just listened to Cry of the Vultriss. The Constance/Flip pairing is an interesting one, because the two characters contrast and complement each other so well (and it goes without saying, Colin Baker is always great on audio).

The story starts out with a recap from the previous story, Static[...]

If you haven't heard it, Static is really good. It reminds me a lot of the best of the revival series.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1648749567536422913

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's very Doctor Whoy and I love it

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Doctor Who is about to be the gayest show on television once again :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo :bisonyes:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Master... Mistress... Maestro?!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is she fighting Ncuti or David?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Gaz-L posted:

Is she fighting Ncuti or David?

Considering that Neil Patrick Harris was announced for the 60th Anniversary specials, I'd expect Getwa.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
because I still think it's very cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejWnwVWuoCo

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1648996305295867904?s=46&t=ZiGj6j-OsXu3OH1bWlxl5g

This looks unbelievably cool.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I wish I wasn't as excited as I am. It makes the wait unbearable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hahaha hot drat that's awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God they both look awesome :stwoon:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention :swoon:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chibnal: "95% of the budget goes to CGI."

Davies: "95% of the budget goes to wardrobe."

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Fifteen is so stylish, I think he could even make Six's coat look good.

Random Stranger posted:

If you haven't heard it, Static is really good. It reminds me a lot of the best of the revival series.

Yep, Static is very good. It's just a shame that the emotional fallout on Constance is underplayed. There's a missed opportunity for a character moment, with the Doctor reassuring her that if you've the same mind, it doesn't matter if your body changes, comparing it to regeneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I don't really recall previous doctor's changing their outfit to blend in to the time period before, neat.