Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

If you aren’t locked into a state or federal job you almost always should be looking for a new job. How else do you get a raise?

At the Fed level, it's still worth it to job hop. The difference is that you have to follow the rulebook that controls promotions and hiring throughout the government (time in grade, etc). A lot of people advance by being willing to jump between agencies once they've hit the year mark or otherwise maxed out the position's pay grade. This does require some degree of transferable skills, which some fed jobs definitely lack.. also easier if you are willing to move or live in one of the job centers, like DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

TaurusTorus posted:

Today yours truly has to improvise a 2e-8 Torr vacuum chamber lid from random metal I find in a cleanroom.

You see, we have a particularly leaky chamber, so we’ve deconstructed it and are building it back vertically, blanking off the top and baking it out, verifying at each step that it passes leak up.

The problem is, each vertical segment, by design, only fits into the next segment. So now I’m running around with a tape measure improvised from pneumatic tubing trying to find a flat bit of metal that covers the hole.

:shepicide:
At some point you gotta say "it's not getting done" and hold everything up until you can get the right parts/tools for the job. You have the right to do so. As a bonus: anyone who thinks they can get the job done without those parts/tools will volunteer to do it for you. The results are often interesting!

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Sanctum posted:

At some point you gotta say "it's not getting done" and hold everything up until you can get the right parts/tools for the job. You have the right to do so. As a bonus: anyone who thinks they can get the job done without those parts/tools will volunteer to do it for you. The results are often interesting!

I get paid by the hour. Also those random bits of metal are very heavy, so I’m getting a work out in.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

TaurusTorus posted:

Today yours truly has to improvise a 2e-8 Torr vacuum chamber lid from random metal I find in a cleanroom.

You see, we have a particularly leaky chamber, so we’ve deconstructed it and are building it back vertically, blanking off the top and baking it out, verifying at each step that it passes leak up.

The problem is, each vertical segment, by design, only fits into the next segment. So now I’m running around with a tape measure improvised from pneumatic tubing trying to find a flat bit of metal that covers the hole.

:shepicide:

The solution turned out to be a deprecated test part to a legacy system from a different department. It’s an 80 pound slab of aluminum, and took a crane to install.

Edit: it maintains the vacuum seal by being really really heavy.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 13, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Wild EEPROM posted:

if you cross a picket line

Outrail posted:

Because that's what scabbing is.

The picket line isn't just the actual, physical line on the ground. It's still crossing the picket like if you sneak in through the back door.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, you don't have to be a member of the union to be a scab. The classic example of scabs is non-union labor brought in to work during a strike, keeping the business open and breaking the strike.

This is my understanding too

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

RC Cola posted:

I'm currently trying to get a remote work exemption because it turns out I cannot function around noise or movement

You know, I really should have realised much earlier that most normal people don't need to always sit with their back against a wall wearing earplugs for their entire work day to enjoy a modicum of productivity.

What trips me up is that I never get distracted or unfocused when I do physical labour. I was a store clerk for a fair chunk of my teens and twenties and I could stock shelves and run a cash register like a motherfucker. ADHD is weird.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TaurusTorus posted:

a tape measure improvised from pneumatic tubing

Do you not have tool boxes and tools in the cleanroom?
Might be a dumb question. The lab I'm in frequently has toolboxes at every bay and hardware stations at each end of the lab. We build WFE

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

When COVID hit, we all got converted to remote employees and our metrics proved that our productivity went up 20%.
About a year ago they started making us come in a few days a week to "help build the team atmosphere."

I told my boss that even though we are vaxxed and boosted, my wife is extremely susceptible to lung issues and that coming in to the office is not very reasonable for me.

Guess what? I have to go in anyway, I'm the only one that masks and some dipshit brought in COVID and a bunch of us got sick. I told my boss that if he doesn't make this right and convert me to permanent remote work (which they've done for others for less serious reasons) that I will be looking for a new job.
I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen, so I'm going to turn my level of giving a poo poo down to a minimum.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

When COVID hit, we all got converted to remote employees and our metrics proved that our productivity went up 20%.
About a year ago they started making us come in a few days a week to "help build the team atmosphere."

I told my boss that even though we are vaxxed and boosted, my wife is extremely susceptible to lung issues and that coming in to the office is not very reasonable for me.

Guess what? I have to go in anyway, I'm the only one that masks and some dipshit brought in COVID and a bunch of us got sick. I told my boss that if he doesn't make this right and convert me to permanent remote work (which they've done for others for less serious reasons) that I will be looking for a new job.
I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen, so I'm going to turn my level of giving a poo poo down to a minimum.

Never warn them, just start job hunting

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pyrtanis posted:

Yeah, it just gives them a heads up to start finding your replacement and destroys all of your leverage if you end up needing to stay.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Quiet quitting is real!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, you don't have to be a member of the union to be a scab. The classic example of scabs is non-union labor brought in to work during a strike, keeping the business open and breaking the strike.

The engineers and management at that Kellogg's site that tried to not negotiate with the union last year completely loving the place up was seriously hilarious and the best case scenario for a scab situation. Just crashing forklifts and dumping product left and right showing the company why you don't want scabs running the place.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

Nobody wants to work anymore

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lazyfire posted:

The engineers and management at that Kellogg's site that tried to not negotiate with the union last year completely loving the place up was seriously hilarious and the best case scenario for a scab situation. Just crashing forklifts and dumping product left and right showing the company why you don't want scabs running the place.

Yo, could union symathizers sign up for scabbing and intentionally gently caress it up bad? What if they were just naturally hopelessly inept, so any scabbing would inevitably lead to huge expensive gently caress ups, but the union-ally-scab could also get paid so it's a double whammy? Asking for a friend.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

Yo, could union symathizers sign up for scabbing and intentionally gently caress it up bad? What if they were just naturally hopelessly inept, so any scabbing would inevitably lead to huge expensive gently caress ups, but the union-ally-scab could also get paid so it's a double whammy? Asking for a friend.

Scabotage

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Yes, but keep in mind if you make a big enough mess you may end up having to deal with criminal prosecution. Better to let management gently caress it up.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Tarkus posted:

Scabotage

I can't stand it, I know you planned it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tarkus posted:

Scabotage

:perfect:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Thomamelas posted:

Yes, but keep in mind if you make a big enough mess you may end up having to deal with criminal prosecution. Better to let management gently caress it up.

Yeah, I heavily council against trying to screw things up on purpose, scab or not. The original scabs - early 20th century factory and mine workers - were in really dangerous professions and any act meant to sabotage these places could lead to more injuries and death for your co-workers than a real loss to the company. They would just find more scabs. A lot of the union jobs now are highly specialized enough that getting someone with the right certifications on short notice for a limited time contract would be next to impossible in the US. The last time the site my wife works for had tense union negotiations there was a roster of former shop floor guys who had recently retired and had active certs as well as people in the office who had once worked on the floor who could get their certs refreshed. The idea was that they could get at least some things moving if things got bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pyrtanis posted:

If I were in the private sector, that's how I'd do it but I work for THE MAN.

They can't fire me unless I refuse to do my job, steal something or assault someone.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Do you not have tool boxes and tools in the cleanroom?
Might be a dumb question. The lab I'm in frequently has toolboxes at every bay and hardware stations at each end of the lab. We build WFE

We have toolboxes, just no tape measures. Everything is pre-measured so we never needed one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Currently having a very fulfilling manager day chasing $120 of mistaken expenses and threatening and setting up a paper trail to fire someone for not following our state residency requirements.

I used to think big corpo catch 22s were hilarious entertainment but starting to become disillusioned by being the catch 22.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

zedprime posted:

Currently having a very fulfilling manager day chasing $120 of mistaken expenses and threatening and setting up a paper trail to fire someone for not following our state residency requirements.

I used to think big corpo catch 22s were hilarious entertainment but starting to become disillusioned by being the catch 22.

What does your salary + overhead come to per day

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Started a new IT support job a couple weeks ago and boy are these sales people impatient. It takes a few minutes for new customers in SalesForce to get imported to our ERP and if you try and add buyers or locations before it is finished it will make a bunch of copies of the customer in the ERP. They have been told this multiple times, but half the support tickets are still "hey the ERP made like 4 copies of this new customer".

Also Microsoft borked the Teams and SharePoint integration from Outlook in the last update so I have to go around and downgrade Office on a bunch of computers for people that actually use those functions. At least I get to look really useful at my new job.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
For my new job, we have to use Microsoft authenticator for our MFA and doing things requires you to get approval several times, to the point I was reminded of a lab rat hitting a lever.

IT sent out an email saying Microsoft is moving to a code input instead of the approve/deny thing, no they can't change it, sucks to be us.

:suicide:

An article on it if anyone's interested

Pyrtanis fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 14, 2023

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
An old manager of mine was an idiot. I was the lead of the desktop support team so I had to sit in on interviews and performance reviews and write ups. We took this woman named Veronica into a conference room one day to talk to her about a write up she was getting for being an rear end in a top hat to customers on the phone.

The manager gave her the business and she sat there looking unimpressed and at the end of the meeting he says 'Well, that's all. Ok then, back to work!" and he did the whipping motion with his arm and made the 'Whi-PSSH" sound.

Veronica is black.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just found out that my boss forgot to sign me up for a much-desired developmental course and I won't have another shot at it for two motherfucking years.
We talked about it several times before and he just... didn't.

I think I need a new job.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

PureEvil6_13 posted:

An old manager of mine was an idiot. I was the lead of the desktop support team so I had to sit in on interviews and performance reviews and write ups. We took this woman named Veronica into a conference room one day to talk to her about a write up she was getting for being an rear end in a top hat to customers on the phone.

The manager gave her the business and she sat there looking unimpressed and at the end of the meeting he says 'Well, that's all. Ok then, back to work!" and he did the whipping motion with his arm and made the 'Whi-PSSH" sound.

Veronica is black.

dudes rock

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Veronica is black.

Please tell me Veronica got even

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Please tell me Veronica got even

The conference room we were in was between our offices and HR. She went straight to HR after leaving that meeting and he did get in decent trouble for that.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Someone stumbled after catching a foot on a door threshold so we're removing all the thresholds.

In other news last night the safety team went out onto the production floor and tested all the e-stops and yes, they worked, and by the way the e in e-stop stands for emergency so they also broke a bunch of poo poo, before loving off for the night

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

PureEvil6_13 posted:

Veronica is black.

One of my coworkers is a team lead and he keeps making...weird jokes. It started off with the standard "you can't say anything anymore nowadays", but we've just implemented a third "other/unknown" gender in our application and he keeps muttering about making things "woke". This week he asked if our app was now halal. :raise:

He's neither a boomer or dumb.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sywert of Thieves posted:

He's neither a boomer or dumb.

I don't know that you can rule out that second one.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Someone stumbled after catching a foot on a door threshold so we're removing all the thresholds.

In other news last night the safety team went out onto the production floor and tested all the e-stops and yes, they worked, and by the way the e in e-stop stands for emergency so they also broke a bunch of poo poo, before loving off for the night

What’s the big deal, e-stops are never keyed to break something integral so the machine won’t continue operating, right?

Oh?

Ohhhh

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

rotinaj posted:

What’s the big deal, e-stops are never keyed to break something integral so the machine won’t continue operating, right?

Oh?

Ohhhh

I vaguely remember hearing in a college electrical engineering course that one type of e-stop for a 3-phase motor effectively swaps two phases. I can’t imagine any part of the motor/wiring/machine likes that action.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

"We're going to cross train you on <task>!"

Okay, when?

"Tuesday the 18th! All day!"

I have my required licensing exam that day. It's a full day.

"See you on Tuesday!"

No you don't understand, this is required by the SEC.

"Okay, see you Tuesday!"

Invite comes in. I send "find a time" for Wednesday.

"See you on Tuesday!"

I just forwarded it to biggest boss, and she says, via email, "oh hell no. No, you do your licensing exam. You're off for study Monday, right? You can train with them Wednesday. Good luck on Tuesday! Let me know if you need anything at all. You have my personal cell."

An hour later, the previous department: "why did you cancel on Tuesday?"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Were they trying to brute-force compliance with their wishes or just ignoring your replies?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tactlessbastard posted:

They know what weather stripping is right? And how you keep rain off slippery floors? And if you're not precision machining doors and door frames it tends to stick out?

tactlessbastard posted:

Ahh well that seems to be a no.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

armpit_enjoyer posted:

You know, I really should have realised much earlier that most normal people don't need to always sit with their back against a wall wearing earplugs for their entire work day to enjoy a modicum of productivity.

What trips me up is that I never get distracted or unfocused when I do physical labour. I was a store clerk for a fair chunk of my teens and twenties and I could stock shelves and run a cash register like a motherfucker. ADHD is weird.

Yeah its wild. When I worked in manufacturing I could work with or without music, but if I listened to an audiobook or podcast I could go for 12 hours without realizing it. Only pausing when I had to set up a job or measure parts. Working in development I literally need complete silence as I try to hold a bunch of pieces of code and logic in my head. Getting distracted fucks it up really bad to the point that I am leaving comments in the code to detail my notes to help me not forget the simple task I'm doing in case I get interrupted. Its why I don't have notifications on for teams or email because seeing that pop up is enough to distract me. When I worked in the office for 3 months before the last 3 years of remote work I would spend all day with headphones on blasting rain noises as loud as it could go to be able to function. I probably damaged my hearing but at least I could work!

On that note our CEO is having everyone come back to the office Tuesday-Thursday minimum starting in May because he came in for a surprise visit and was sad that there were only 6 people in the office. Someone asked him how they plan to handle the people hired as full remote since covid started, or neurodivergent people and he literally didn't know what neurotypical meant lol.

Anyways I'm excited for my exemption to be ignored and to go into the office 3 days a week to gently caress around while I do 5 days worth of work monday and friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

I vaguely remember hearing in a college electrical engineering course that one type of e-stop for a 3-phase motor effectively swaps two phases. I can’t imagine any part of the motor/wiring/machine likes that action.

I hope these estops are like the ones for the sawstop that breaks the whole thing until a part is replaced

Because lol