Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Speaking of filters, besides ND and polarizer/CPL filters, are there any other kinds that do something that you couldn't just do in a couple clicks in post-processing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lights posted:

Speaking of filters, besides ND and polarizer/CPL filters, are there any other kinds that do something that you couldn't just do in a couple clicks in post-processing?

Some people still like grads but you're right, the same effect can be accomplished in 30 seconds in lightroom. Most people that use them shoot film or spent many years shooting film.

If you're doing digital they're not worth the hassle if you ask me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

...i've tried replicating red filter usage in software, and it works, but it can tend to lead to fringing and strange edges.

a ND filter, yeah, just do it in post

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Lights posted:

Infrared filters!

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

frogbs posted:

Infrared filters!

Woah, wait, I thought the IR filters are built onto the sensors of the camera, and have to be removed for to mod a camera for IR photography? Is there a filter that shifts IR up into visible or something without doing that?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

a ND filter, yeah, just do it in post

ND filters actually DO have a real use in the field, in that they allow you to shoot in ultrabright situations with slower shutter speeds or wider apertures.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Just picked up an Olympus E-330 for a song and I have to say they were quite insane back in the early digital days.

That diagram doesn't even show the sub mirror for the AF module. Just mirrors and prisms everywhere.

Huh is that just to get the vf off-axis from the lens mount? Reminds me of the og Olympus Pen SLR’s.. but why do it like that in the E-330?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Lights posted:

Woah, wait, I thought the IR filters are built onto the sensors of the camera, and have to be removed for to mod a camera for IR photography? Is there a filter that shifts IR up into visible or something without doing that?

Removing the IR filter over the sensor will drastically increase the IR spectrum available, but you can get away with putting an IR filter over most unmodified cameras as long as you're ok with really long exposure times. If you point a tv remote at your camera and you can see a little light when you press the button, then you've got some IR spectrum to work with.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Huh is that just to get the vf off-axis from the lens mount? Reminds me of the og Olympus Pen SLR’s.. but why do it like that in the E-330?

It’s to not use a traditional pentaprism to erect the image. There’s so much going on with the e-330 you should just read the DPR article on it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Lights posted:

Pro-mist filters would be hard to do post

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

Removing the IR filter over the sensor will drastically increase the IR spectrum available, but you can get away with putting an IR filter over most unmodified cameras as long as you're ok with really long exposure times. If you point a tv remote at your camera and you can see a little light when you press the button, then you've got some IR spectrum to work with.
...:aaaaa: how did I not know about this until right now. Well I mean I knew the camera sensors could see a little bit of IR like you say, but somehow never thought or heard of using IR filters and long exposure.

Edit: some webpages about converting point and shoots are how I first learned about IR photography :v:

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 11, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

japtor posted:

...:aaaaa: how did I not know about this until right now. Well I mean I knew the camera sensors could see a little bit of IR like you say, but somehow never thought or heard of using IR filters and long exposure.

That's how people did digital IR before they figured out how to rip off the IR cut filters. I need to get rid of 2 deep IR converted Nikons if anyone is interested.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

frogbs posted:

That's awesome to know, thanks! Might have to pick up one, since while I've always been curious about doing IR, the idea of buying a third camera body just to do IR work has always been enough added cost/hassle that I haven't taken the leap.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lights posted:

That's awesome to know, thanks! Might have to pick up one, since while I've always been curious about doing IR, the idea of buying a third camera body just to do IR work has always been enough added cost/hassle that I haven't taken the leap.

You can do some fun stuff with an IR filter, but you need to do a bunch of post-processing like channel swapping. I'm not quite there yet, I think.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Lights posted:

ND filters actually DO have a real use in the field, in that they allow you to shoot in ultrabright situations with slower shutter speeds or wider apertures.

Sorry, meant graduated ND

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

gschmidl posted:

You can do some fun stuff with an IR filter, but you need to do a bunch of post-processing like channel swapping. I'm not quite there yet, I think.

Yeah, color IR can get pretty tricky, which is why I stick to black and white!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2023

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IR is great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless you're a dingus like me that buys into a system that leaks IR light (canon at least, I think there's others).

RF lenses have a weak IR led in them used to monitor the iris and if one were to get their body modded for IR it ruins any longish exposure. EF lenses work fine.

https://kolarivision.com/canon-mirrorless-rf-lens-internal-infrared-led-fact-or-fiction/

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Hi, I haven't posted here for years and never under this name, but I am finally trying to force myself back into old creative outlets and had a question.

I used to have a blackrapid sport camera strap and loved it for comfort and quality. Never felt like I was going to shatter my lens into a million pieces when I let my camera hang at my hip. I've seemingly lost mine and am getting worried reading reviews about the stabilizer strap and the plastic caribiner lock failing on newer ones.

Is there a new gold standard (so much as anything is standard in photography) for straps that I should be looking for? Are my concerns unfounded?

Digitally I have a Canon 6D w/24-105 and 70-200 2.8 I'd be using on it, film-wise I used to hang my Pentax 67ii on it as well.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I think it's peak design

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
I don't see a crossbody strap from them unless I just missed it. I can't imagine hanging a dslr around my neck all day.

...do people do that?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide

This is what I have and it extends far enough to wear cross body

e:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I love my Peak Design straps, but their messenger bag leaves something to be desired. The bag itself is pretty solid, but the strap likes to slip open. Fortunately there's enough mass at the end of the strap that it usually gets caught in the buckle and doesn't fully come off, just hang really low, but it has come off completely and almost fallen off of me before. One time it happened while I was riding my motorcycle, and that was the last time I ever took it riding.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

My current sling straps are... Waka, I think? They were only like $15 or so. Only problem I had was that the strap wasn't properly reversible to wear one on each side, so I had to cut the strap of one and re-sew it with some Kevlar thread to make it sit nicely when wearing the second camera on my left hip. Hardware all feels solid enough. When I get some spare cash to spend on non-critical gear though, I want to grab one of those nice $300ish leather dual camera harnesses from Holdfast, they look great.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

big black turnout posted:

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide

This is what I have and it extends far enough to wear cross body

How's it feel without any padding? With the weight I was carrying I felt like the padding and the stabilizer were a necessity. That'd be great for 35mm/mirrorless... Maybe everyone is on mirrorless these days.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I have a D750 and it feels fine so far but I haven't worn it for more than an hour or so at a time yet

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Waste of Breath posted:

How's it feel without any padding? With the weight I was carrying I felt like the padding and the stabilizer were a necessity. That'd be great for 35mm/mirrorless... Maybe everyone is on mirrorless these days.

The strap itself is made of a very soft material that acts like padding. Admittedly I haven't tried carrying anything truly heavy with it, but I don't think it would cause any issues if you got one that's decently wide.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah the peak design strap is great. I wear it with quite heafty setup's. Eventually I'm uncomfortable but It's my back that hurts, not the strap digging in in or anything.

They have a 30 day return policy if it doesn't work for you.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 12, 2023

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Waste of Breath posted:

I don't see a crossbody strap from them unless I just missed it. I can't imagine hanging a dslr around my neck all day.

...do people do that?

I have used it all day even with the Sigma 150-600 and you barely notice it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'll give another +1 for the Peak Design Slide it's quite nice. Their mounting anchor system is also really really nice.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Was looking around on the used market for an X-T3, found a pristine sample on eBay for $800 + tax and shipping.

Then I found a amazon warehouse return for the X-T4 + 16-80 for $1600 .. decided to give it a chance since the listing said "like new" and only damage to the box. It having IBIS and the newer battery was appealing. Now just waiting to receive my rock in a box instead of a camera because that price seems a bit too good.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

gschmidl posted:

I have used it all day even with the Sigma 150-600 and you barely notice it.

It's a fair bit cheaper than the blackrapid strap too, so I guess that settles it! Thanks folks.

Went ahead and ordered a slide in the sage green :D

E: strap is great but I forgot that I didn't have strap lugs for the Pentax since the blackrapid attached to the tripod screw.

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 14, 2023

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Can I get some opinions on which sling bag to go for? I love slings, being able to have a bag on my left shoulder helps keep an old right neck disc injury out of painful spots. I like the ability to slide the bag around to belly-ish level, unzip it, and withdraw a camera with lens attached ready to go along with two other lenses and flash, and I'd also want to be able to lash or carry a tripod/monopod. Big pluses if it can hold a bottle of water externally and has a pocket for smaller bulk stuff - ebook reader, snack, etc. It seems like a few slings can convert into backpacks, which wouldn't be a bad option but isn't necessary.

Seems like there's a lot of bags that do some of everything but fall short in reviews regarding internal protection, padding, complexity, etc.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

MJP posted:

Can I get some opinions on which sling bag to go for? I love slings, being able to have a bag on my left shoulder helps keep an old right neck disc injury out of painful spots. I like the ability to slide the bag around to belly-ish level, unzip it, and withdraw a camera with lens attached ready to go along with two other lenses and flash, and I'd also want to be able to lash or carry a tripod/monopod. Big pluses if it can hold a bottle of water externally and has a pocket for smaller bulk stuff - ebook reader, snack, etc. It seems like a few slings can convert into backpacks, which wouldn't be a bad option but isn't necessary.

Seems like there's a lot of bags that do some of everything but fall short in reviews regarding internal protection, padding, complexity, etc.

How big is your camera and lenses? My go to recommendation is the Peak Design 6L Sling. They make a larger 10l version too, but that’s approaching messenger bag size.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lights posted:

maybe you can fake it but I love the effect

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

big black turnout posted:

I have a D750 and it feels fine so far but I haven't worn it for more than an hour or so at a time yet

I hang a Z9 + various glass off mine and it's never been uncomfortable. Great strap.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I wore mine at least 10 hours over the last 48 hours and it was good

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, in the process of moving out of the apartment I shared with my brother (who passed away a few months ago) I found a box full of Mini DV tapes from his time in Roller Derby ages ago. I'd really like to get a look at these, but searching for some kind of a solution to view Mini DV right now is a loving nightmare (the keyword pops up everything from audio cassette players to shitbox SD-card $20 minicams). I don't know how prominently he's featured and there are a lot of tapes, which is keeping me from just sending the box off somewhere to get digitized. What's the least expensive and nightmarish way for me to be able to view these at this point in time?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Probably find a second hand camcorder on eBay. If you can watch the tapes back on the camcorder display and confirm you want to transfer them, a USB capture device for whatever the camcorder outputs.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 9, 2023

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Depending on where you live, it might be worth checking to see if a local library or archive has equipment that you can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

kazmeyer posted:

So, in the process of moving out of the apartment I shared with my brother (who passed away a few months ago) I found a box full of Mini DV tapes from his time in Roller Derby ages ago. I'd really like to get a look at these, but searching for some kind of a solution to view Mini DV right now is a loving nightmare (the keyword pops up everything from audio cassette players to shitbox SD-card $20 minicams). I don't know how prominently he's featured and there are a lot of tapes, which is keeping me from just sending the box off somewhere to get digitized. What's the least expensive and nightmarish way for me to be able to view these at this point in time?

I'm sorry that your brother passed. Hope you're doing OK.