Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
We have 2 full-time help desk, a manager that still handles tickets, and a contractor to do server poo poo (god how I want to do server poo poo).

And yeah we're behind somehow.

000100 users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

guppy posted:

I am indescribably jealous of this ratio. I love my job but that is several orders of magnitude better than our ratio.

I can be more clear. We don't have 800 support staff. 800 fulfillers includes everyone working tickets in ServiceNow. 300 is Tech itself with around 75 being the support organization. Other 500 fulfillers comprise of HR, Compliance, Customer Service, and 4 other industry specific business groups.

Ratio of support staff to users is about 1:100. Our support organization could use more people like most companies. They are under a lot more stress than my team managing ServiceNow.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Started a new, fully remote sysadmin job on Monday for a west-coast based company. I'm located on the east coast, and they have me working early east coast hours.

I have no accounts set up, no access to any of the systems, nothing really. Don't even have a softphone license yet. I wake up early in the morning, log in, do absolutely nothing until the daily scrum with the rest of the team at noon eastern time. By the time those meetings are over, I have ~2 hours left in my day.

I feel like I'm basically stealing money. I know this won't last forever, but it's such a weird feeling.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Give me the money and I will absolve you of your sins

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would they not have you shift your hours back slightly, that's mad

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Circling back on the things I’m thankful for with IT jobs.

I love that I can take time off whenever I need for as long as I need with no questions asked. And make up for lost time when it suits me or take time off if I don’t want to.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would they not have you shift your hours back slightly, that's mad

They have some offices and warehouses that start very early in the morning on the east coast, so they need coverage for those locations. It's understandable, and tbh I like the hours. Being "done" earlier in the day is quite nice so far.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

LochNessMonster posted:

Circling back on the things I’m thankful for with IT jobs.

I love that I can take time off whenever I need for as long as I need with no questions asked. And make up for lost time when it suits me or take time off if I don’t want to.

Yeah we're very liberal with PTO and flex time it rules.

What I'm not grateful for is having a uninstall old software meeting turn into a laptop swap because our intune policies didn't get applied and she managed to update to windows 11

Shocked and surprised our ancient phone software still runs on an operating system 23 years newer

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I have 3 weeks vacation entry level soon as O finished training. Only used 1 day of it so far.

I’m just going to be unobtainable in the back half of the year

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

When the biotech place made me their offer, I asked upfront if there would be any issues about me taking a planned 3-week trip to Australia next year as well as some random days this summer for long weekend trips.

"...lol, of course not. Totally fine. That sounds awesome btw."

The other place I interviewed with seemed like they would have been very "Hmmmm, I don't know. Three weeks, and it's nearly a year from now?", especially considering I counter offered their offer by like 2 bucks an hour and they rescinded the offer right then and there lol.

Seriously though, any employer that gives me poo poo about taking earned vacation time with plenty of notice can eat my entire rear end. I'm incredibly lucky in that my wife makes a killing in her job so if I work somewhere that tries to give me grief for taking earned time off, I can laugh at them and quit. My last boss tried to pull that poo poo, and I told her flat out that it was my earned time, I was giving her 6+ months notice, and if she wanted to bring it to HR, she was more than welcome to. She opted to drop it and just be really passive aggressive about things instead.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I've been giving some thought to how I want to organize my note taking better going forward.

I'm a solution architect at a large VAR, so I work with tons of customers, tons of vendors, and quite a few internal sellers. Right now I just use notepad++ to take plain text notes and store them into customer specific folders, which has the benefit of allowing me to store related documentation in there as well. This all works just fine for the most part but sometimes I wonder if I could do a few things differently. For example, I'd like to be able to quickly see all of my customers per seller, or see every customer I've worked with a particular vendor contact. I've somewhat looked at Obisidian.md to see if there's a way to accomplish that with it's linking functionality but not sure if a) that's a good use case, and b) if its vault architecture works well for me. I also wondered if something like OneNote would better accomplish this, possibly via tagging.

Anyway, just some noodling on a Friday afternoon. Interested if anyone has thoughts or examples of how they've handled similar things themselves.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does your VAR not have a central document repository and a system for how they would like things to be done? I am in a similar role and I use OneNote extensively for notes on meetings and implementations, with a notebook for each client and then tabs for each project, but this all then gets transferred into our proper documentation repository when the project closes.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Thanks Ants posted:

Does your VAR not have a central document repository and a system for how they would like things to be done? I am in a similar role and I use OneNote extensively for notes on meetings and implementations, with a notebook for each client and then tabs for each project, but this all then gets transferred into our proper documentation repository when the project closes.

I have a place to upload notes as needed to be associated with a project, but that’s about it. We’re rolling out salesforce so I might be able to use that at some point but we’re not fully there yet.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I just started my first "Unlimited PTO" job with the caveat that you shouldnt pick dates already claimed by another person on my 4 person team.

I haven't been here long enough to gauge what "unlimited means"

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

rafikki posted:

Anyway, just some noodling on a Friday afternoon. Interested if anyone has thoughts or examples of how they've handled similar things themselves.

In my previous role I ran dokuwiki in a container (and backed it up to an s3 bucket). My handover was pretty sweet: “here’s all my notes, goodbye!” Coworkers were insanely happy with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sacrist65 posted:

I just started my first "Unlimited PTO" job with the caveat that you shouldnt pick dates already claimed by another person on my 4 person team.

Caveat

noun

a warning or proviso of specific stipulations, conditions, or limitations.

Uh, oh.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

rafikki posted:

I have been scratching the surface with Notion and I reckon you could set something up in there that would do what you want.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rafikki posted:

I have a place to upload notes as needed to be associated with a project, but that’s about it. We’re rolling out salesforce so I might be able to use that at some point but we’re not fully there yet.

Salesforce is likely to be your best bet here.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sacrist65 posted:

Hope you're ready for Holiday Thunderdome.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We're pivoting to Unlimited PTO and my boss told me some of the guidelines are 'only 2 weeks off at a time unless approved' and I am all the hell in. They are likely going to cash out our existing PTO banks so I am incredibly excited for that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kensei posted:

We're pivoting to Unlimited PTO and my boss told me some of the guidelines are 'only 2 weeks off at a time unless approved' and I am all the hell in. They are likely going to cash out our existing PTO banks so I am incredibly excited for that.

I'm about to test this guideline since I just booked a flight to Japan and the way the timings worked out, it's going to be almost 3 weeks off.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I have many posts about how unlimited time off is a scam but please do google it yourselves so you can see, and make sure you absolutely take advantage of that poo poo despite what your managers say.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, unlimited pto is completely a bookkeeping trick with no exceptions

but there are places out there where it doesnt have to be a dealbreaker

my current place is unlimited pto, and I like it better than having sick/vacation be a shared pool

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Just find a place that worded their unlimited PTO policy poorly, put in your two week as soon as possible, lawyer up then enjoy getting all their money from cashing out infinitely.

The rosebud of real life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

yeah, unlimited pto is completely a bookkeeping trick with no exceptions

but there are places out there where it doesnt have to be a dealbreaker

my current place is unlimited pto, and I like it better than having sick/vacation be a shared pool

It's definitely so they don't have the liability on the books. Before my place got bought out, I was taking 5+ weeks / year though, which is more than any place I've ever been with banked PTO would let me take. This year might be ~6 weeks, so we'll see if the new bosses actually mean it when they say unlimited.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

My boss is a pretty big proponent of Work Life Balance, as am I. I plan to lead my team by example and take at least one week per quarter off, and long weekends often. I do have some camping trips coming up where we were going to be gone for two weeks, working one remote but I might take that whole time off. Just do not want to be too replicable as a middle manager...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I work for an international company so I follow French holidays Or German holidays or Whoever has the most holidays cause if my euro friends get that time off, I get that time off.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
All you guys talking about unlimited PTO and I'm sitting here wondering if "unlimited time off but it's not paid and there are no sick days" still counts.:smith:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Umbreon posted:

All you guys talking about unlimited PTO and I'm sitting here wondering if "unlimited time off but it's not paid and there are no sick days" still counts.:smith:

If it makes you feel better, most if not all of the "unlimited PTO" talk comes from salaried folks who get paid the same no matter how much they work.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If it makes you feel better, most if not all of the "unlimited PTO" talk comes from salaried folks who get paid the same no matter how much they work.

I figured, I was salaried a couple jobs ago and coincidentally that was "unlimited" PTO too. I hated it since no one could take off from how understaffed we were, but being a contractor with no PTO or health insurance is way worse and I'm really kicking myself for thinking "how bad could it be?".

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’ll support America over this poutine dog

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

poutine is good but its no cheese curds imo

if only we cou;d combine poutine, curds, and motzeralla sticks to mae a cheese god

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

How does this work exactly?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Umbreon posted:

:hfive: but :smith: Same boat

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

It literally is

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

mods???

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

if only we cou;d combine poutine, curds, and motzeralla sticks to mae a cheese god

Poutine contains cheese curds. Sure there's different styles of cheese curds, but... what???

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

My favorite text editor is nano

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

My favorite text editor is nano

based

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Is nano vs vi just a preference thing? I could never get used to vi