Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sindai posted:

Birdie Wing 2: I think this means they're cousins? Did we get Star Warsed?
to me it seems like its gonna be kazuhiko + eleanor = eve and amuro + seira = aoi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
same, i can't imagine that this show where people dramatically unlock suppressed memories through performing golf swings would settle for 'surprise: you're half-sisters!' when it could do that but then pull another reveal further down the (Venus) line.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ep2 of Magical Destroyers is still a fever dream. This time with actual drugs for their drug trip.

The person leading the creative direction of this is an artist/musician named JUN INAGAWA. He seems at least someone prominence and has done collabs with fashion brands and musicians.

From his collab with the Japanese brand Neighborhood.

All of the elements of the main characters seems to come from his previous works (you can see a lot of it here, all of which are obviously inspired by various other things like stuff from Gainx in their heyday or apparently Madoka from one interview about his art. It's super heavy on style and the substance is about at the level of Otaku no Video or Pop Team Epic or works like those so not necessarily a lot, but certainly an entertaining spectacle.

The artist himself in 2019

As a taste of the fever dream, here's the OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOrYZhMsvw (there's a slightly nsfw part at 1:15)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

to me it seems like its gonna be kazuhiko + eleanor = eve and amuro + seira = aoi.

birdie wing s2

yeah this seems like where they're headed - they both have diseases to work with aoi's current issues also

god i love birdie wing

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the magical destroyers ed also has some striking visuals.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i could do without blue's gimmick being horniness but other than that if i had to describe what i wanted from a magical destroyers ep2 that acid trip sequence was pretty close to it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Southern Cassowary posted:

god i love birdie wing

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Please stop illegally dumping magical girls.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

i could do without blue's gimmick being horniness but other than that if i had to describe what i wanted from a magical destroyers ep2 that acid trip sequence was pretty close to it

It is a bit of a tired gimmick that peaked with Panty and Stocking.

One thing I saw someone make a connection to was that the magical girls are basically Sex (Blue), Drugs (Pink) and Rock & Roll (Anarchy)

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

One thing I saw someone make a connection to was that the magical girls are basically Sex (Blue), Drugs (Pink) and Rock & Roll (Anarchy)

Picked up

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Xelkelvos posted:

It is a bit of a tired gimmick that peaked with Panty and Stocking.

can't believe i missed that

i think there's a way to make blue being the sex in that trio work - they almost land on something funny when she's exploiting all the rank and file otaku as simps - but the bog standard gimmick stuff is tired and this is not a show substantial enough to really expect more so i'm just gonna roll with it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Her using the back massager to massage her back got a sensible chuckle out of me.

kirtar posted:

Wouldn't that be half sisters rather than cousins?
You're right. I got very confused because the subs incorrectly call him Amawashi in one spot and Hodaka in another.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 15, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Hope these guys get to work on something actually appealing to watch in the future, because drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lW9VAz9zcc

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

first two episodes of that had some cool kanada-style animation but yeah it's not good material

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Too Cute Crisis: Holy poo poo! Is one of the featured cat a Yakuza/Like a Dragon reference?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

haypliss posted:

Hope these guys get to work on something actually appealing to watch in the future, because drat.
If the show's story was even half as good as this animation, it could be a best of year contender.

Instead, you get to go "Well, at least it's not 'Inuki-San.'"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I really wish Magical Destroyers had just been a film or a series of music videos. It's kind of a throwback kusoanime that's held back by its budget, but the OP and ED are ridiculously, stupidly good by comparison. Episode 2 made me think, I wish this could embrace the raw chaos energy of the OP.

it very much feels like an exquisite corpse of FLCL, Genshiken, Disgaea, Panty & Stocking, and Flip Flappers, so I can't quite say it's bad. It genuinely captures some of the energy of earlier 2000s anime. But it is also like... Not good, exactly? Held back by its constraints? It feels like it can't quite pull off the absolute doomspiral mental sludge breakdown that it wants to, so it lays on a thick layer of irony like Panty & Stocking did. But PSG had a really distinct visual style that helped it feel unique even when it was doing the stupidest and most juvenile jokes possible. Some of the off-model shots in Magical Destroyers look a little uncomfortably close to drawings out of a Christopher Hart How to Draw Anime book. Which, maybe that's what they're going for, as a joke, but that joke is not nearly as affecting as their OP and ED are.

It just makes me wish I could see a whole film lovingly rendered in that relentless internet-doomer-psychological-break-with-reality style.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai posted:

Her using the back massager to massage her back got a sensible chuckle out of me.

You're right. I got very confused because the subs incorrectly call him Amawashi in one spot and Hodaka in another.

Pretty sure that wasn't a sub error since it matches the audio.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
hope Too Cute Crisis moves on from cats to other cute animals, like dogs, which are better than cats.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

hope Too Cute Crisis moves on from cats to other cute animals, like dogs, which are better than cats.

it will but you are also incredibly loving wrong

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i see gateofd has chosen violence in the season thread

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

See everyone else is probably losing their minds over Golf Newtypes in Birdie Wing but I'm here hooting and hollering over Eve's name

Madlax cinematic universe baby

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So Isekai Uncle wont get a s2 right?? :negative:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't think there's enough material for another season and it'll be a while before there will be since it's monthly.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I made an Edomae Elf thread. Elda is such a goober.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

FilthyImp posted:

So Isekai Uncle wont get a s2 right?? :negative:
if it gets another season it's probably 2 years away

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm watching a bunch of stuff this season but so far I think Mashle is my favorite entirely on the basis both episodes have made me burst out laughing multiple times and I haven't had that happen from an anime in a few seasons.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

GateOfD posted:

:mods:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

She sure is. Thread added to the OP

quote:

Edomae Elf (Otaku Elf)
C2C | Takefumi Anzai | Shougo Yasukawa | Comedy, Supernatural | Manga | Apr 8, 2023
Koito Koganei works as the teenage shrine maiden at the Takamimi Shrine, catering to the whims of its resident: a centuries-old elf who loves video games as much as she hates going outside! Line up your offerings for the otaku elf—some energy drinks, chips, and video games will do nicely—and watch her new friends scramble to keep up!
PV
Thread

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Finally got around to watching Skip and Loafer, any anime with the cast dancing in the OP is good IMO.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That's a good goober. I'll probably add that to the watchlist now that I'm out of classes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Hell's Paradise time

i been behind on Heaven Delusion. Still just only finished episode 1

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rokudo feels like mashing up YuGi + Deku and tossing them in a not-hornt JK Kuzuhana sidestory.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Yamada's cast of goobers continue to be great.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SatoshiMiwa posted:

See everyone else is probably losing their minds over Golf Newtypes in Birdie Wing but I'm here hooting and hollering over Eve's name

Madlax cinematic universe baby

is madlax cool? i don't have any non weeklies i'm watching right now and i would like to enhance my birdie wing viewing experience if possible.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's actiony series with great music, weird plot that takes a few turns into supernatural, animation that's kinda cool at best and kinda rough at worst and a bunch of girls that fall for each other in pretty unhealthy ways. It also almost entirely takes place in a war-torn Africa, so points for unusual setting for an anime (that being said, there is like one major character with a darker skin tone than milk, so it's not like it's a big winning point or anything). Overall, it's less than a sum of it parts, but I had fun with it. (Also, last time I watched it was a decade+ ago, so I might not be remembering poo poo :v:).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

those 00s bee train shows are definitely an acquired taste, they're kinda slow and murky and not super well animated but they have a cool vibe and yuki kajiura OSTs. i havent seen madlax in particular though. i liked el cazador de la bruja

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah in the same way as like .hack//sign you have to be down for something weird and talky rather than a big action fest

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
weird and talky with cool vibes and good music sounds great to me. at worst it sounds like it will be interesting, which is what i was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

She's the goober we've all needed.