Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lmao stinky boi sucks so bad at the one thing he cares about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

RBA Starblade posted:

"Did you level dex?"

Bell_ posted:

My first guess would be "what do you think about death?" but I look forward to seeing it

No, it's "What do you think about Dex?"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Bell_ posted:

My first guess would be "what do you think about death?" but I look forward to seeing it

I'm betting on this one too, it's too perfect.

habeasdorkus posted:

No, it's "What do you think about Dex?"

I really don't see why people hate his 50's dinner.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Love Incubus going full Sephiroth with that blade

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There Bias Two posted:

I'm very curious to find out what the question was that broke her.

"Have you got stairs in your house?"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Incubus sitting at the cool Demiurges' table for the first time and everyone's smirking until Mottom asks if he needs a grownup to cut his meat for him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Eh, what's up, doc?"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its good.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

"Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"Will that make you happy?"

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

rndmnmbr posted:

"Will that make you happy?"

In all sincerity, this is one of my candidates for what the question was. The others being:

"And then what?"
"And will that save the rat?"
"And who will topple you then, little god?"

I enjoy that it's currently left open-ended while Meti gets to keep playing Sword Diogenes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
incubus you utter chump, is that a sword you're holding or a battle-axe

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

I cannot wait for Maya to completely end Stinky's existence with a single tweet.

"L + RATIO + BAD SWORDSMAN + poo poo DEMIURGE"

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Meti's roughly half Diogenes, half Musashi, with one percent left for some random French philosopher (stinks of smoke)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Shoehead posted:

You may have anything from the Great Alexander

it would be a much funnier interaction if Diogenes was also the greatest warrior of the hellenic world

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
God drat, that face Incubus makes is something else. Weird moment of humanity from him (he got better, apparently.)

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

dead gay comedy forums posted:

it would be a much funnier interaction if Diogenes was also the greatest warrior of the hellenic world

theres literally no record anywhere that says that he isnt

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Reclaimer posted:

theres literally no record anywhere that says that he isnt

Diogenes slew everyone who wrote about how great his swordsmanship was and then went for some more noodles.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

lmao time to backtrack Allison

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
"so what you're going to do with your eternal empire? What's it loving for?"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Whatever it is, I suspect it won't have the same effect on Allison, who doesn't actually want anything to do with being a warrior or a demiurge.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Maya got owned like nobody has ever been owned before.

We will not know exactly what the question is until Allison asks it to Jagganoth (or maybe Metatron), and in doing so immediately defeats them.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

“Did you think that would make me love you?”

the holy poopacy posted:

God drat, that face Incubus makes is something else. Weird moment of humanity from him (he got better, apparently.)

Abbadon is so good at expressions. Mix of disgust and compassion

If it wasn’t something intensely personal idk what would even have that effect. Some Secret Cosmic Question would be too lame

Victis fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

who wants a new av

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Meti just hammering "why?" over and over again like a demented 3 year old until Maya's soul dies

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Hah, I've been saying for years that Incubus is probably the best swordsman in existence, but is terrible at cutting. Now Maya is demonstrating he isn't even that. Ten blows, how extremely embarrassing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol more pages of people earnestly trying to guess the question is gonna be fun

the holy poopacy posted:

I interpret it as him finding Maya's reaction pathetic. He probably slaughtered Meti minutes later.

Edit: I didn't catch this before, but the text below the last 3 updates have been teachers, in order, passing down knowledge. Gälde ten Bilong to Ryam, Ryam to Ryo, Ryo to Meti:

“Listen, closely, pale worm. Our only goal here, and indeed, for the rest of your miserable life, is to learn the cut called Quelling the Breath of Man. It is the most superior sword technique in the Seven Cities and will win you every battle if done properly. You must resolutely study this cut. Your life, as mine, is no longer your own. You have now become a blade, and the hearts-hilt of this blade is held by his Grace, and when he swings it you will kill any number of men that he wills dead.”

– Gälde ten Bilong, sword god of the Lunar Kingdoms, to their student Ryam

“Here is a cut I call the Life Cut. It is adapted from my ancient master, who roamed the world when it is young, and taught it to me in a different and weaker form. Listen, whelp. I have improved upon her fragile schemes. Where once my sword hand was held by my master, this cut has a secret art that can roam and strike him. It is the most important thing I will teach you – the blade that cuts its own wielder.”

-Great Blade Hermit Ryam to his student Ryo

“Listen well, peasant girl. The time is long past I teach you the ultimate technique, as I have promised.

The only thing you must understand about this technique is it is purely for killing. This is the cut of no cuts, the form of no form. It doesn’t have a name. There is no school it belongs to. There is no master it belongs to, not even you. There is no purpose it belongs to. It is a poisonous technique, the product of a thousand venoms distilled from one master to the next, back to the line of the Gods. All my master used it for is stacking corpses, and his master before him, and his master before that, and that is all you shall use it for as well.”

-Ryo, to his student Meti.

Each one refined the technique more and hated it more, it seems.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 14, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
each quote also strips away the pretension and grandeur of the technique, until all that's left is the Cut

kind of similar to devils and their names

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I'm going to go for the softball prediction for The Question and say that it's the kind of existential question that really only poses a threat to those who have deluded themselves into believing that they are on the proper path, but not so much so that they are incapable of introspection: "are you truly happy?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

blastron posted:

I'm going to go for the softball prediction for The Question and say that it's the kind of existential question that really only poses a threat to those who have deluded themselves into believing that they are on the proper path, but not so much so that they are incapable of introspection: "are you truly happy?"

It's something along those lines since it inflicted massive psychic damage on Maya but didn't bother Inky at all, since he doesn't believe in anything other than himself. Which means it would probably work really well on Jagg.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I don't know what the question is but I assume it also starts with "where".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thundarr posted:

Maya got owned like nobody has ever been owned before.

We will not know exactly what the question is until Allison asks it to Jagganoth (or maybe Metatron), and in doing so immediately defeats them.

"Yo Metatron, you want all these names back or what?"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Incubus probably used a null sword to be a petty rear end in a top hat, even trying to make a point he owns himself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I interpret it as him finding Maya's reaction pathetic. He probably slaughtered Meti minutes later.

I think there is genuine pity in there too, it's hard to read it as pure contempt.

Despite his atrociously bad name I don't think he had hit rock bottom at that point. He seems to genuinely admire Maya and Meti; there's a reason he hadn't made his move until then, and why it took him so long to make his move afterward.

I think it's the cognitive dissonance of witnessing such weakness from one of the few people he recognized as a superior that finally broke him. His inability to beat Maya was a sore point in the present day exchanges with Jagganoth, but I think it was eating away at him even while she was missing.

I think this also colors his interactions with Allison. He repeatedly gives her second chances when he could easily have swooped in and taken the key. He wants to build her up into Maya 2.0 because he desperately wants to prove Maya wrong by shaping an even stronger Maya who doesn't run away crying, because then that proves he was right all along.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I think this is the first time Meti's been show as looking even remotely happy? Possibly when incubus first cut all his hair off?

Just absolutely pissing herself with genuine demented glee at her 20 year plan to absolutely own some girl by teaching her forbidden murder arts so she can see how terrible it is dedicate your life to forbidden murder arts, because apparently her teacher living in a bin and constantly straight up telling her "do not do this, my life sucks" wasn't a clue.

Between them Maya and Incubus have probably killed like... multiple worlds' worth of people using her lessons.

Meti is absolutely loving bananas

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It’s a funny point of comparison - she decapitated him immediately in their fight and she still says he thrashed her within an inch of her life.

Incubus just can’t seem to decapitate her, but he still seems to win the fights. He’s an exceptional swordsman in a very strange, bad way.

Honestly, at this point… I think there’s a decent chance he doesn’t want to kill her. Incubus has nobody else in the entire cosmos that could possibly understand him, and he was apparently happy to be her second in command for a very long time. Coming after her family like this, I could easily see it as him trying to kindle that flame in her again, in the most hideous possible way. Ten blows and failing to decapitate is also just stretching the limits of credulity.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

weird that stinky in the meti scene seems actually somewhat concerned? worried? there's a seed of anger but that's not the core of what he feels. Hard to tell if its generally an artistic rendering or if he was there for the convo and heard The Question, and what his answer/takeaway from it would be

Magnus Manfist posted:

Meti is absolutely loving bananas

yeah she tells some killer jokes, no wonder she was busting a gut

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 15, 2023

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

the holy poopacy posted:

I think there is genuine pity in there too, it's hard to read it as pure contempt.

Despite his atrociously bad name I don't think he had hit rock bottom at that point. He seems to genuinely admire Maya and Meti; there's a reason he hadn't made his move until then, and why it took him so long to make his move afterward.

I think it's the cognitive dissonance of witnessing such weakness from one of the few people he recognized as a superior that finally broke him. His inability to beat Maya was a sore point in the present day exchanges with Jagganoth, but I think it was eating away at him even while she was missing.

I think this also colors his interactions with Allison. He repeatedly gives her second chances when he could easily have swooped in and taken the key. He wants to build her up into Maya 2.0 because he desperately wants to prove Maya wrong by shaping an even stronger Maya who doesn't run away crying, because then that proves he was right all along.

It could also be this! He definitely wanted Allison to actually be his apprentice, and was upset when she couldn’t follow his awful blood-drowned path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Given that Meti asked the Question in response to Maya boasting about conquering the world, I am reminded of the questions that the man who would be Jagganoth posed to future corpses Pale Bolt and Dark Cloud earlier in the chapter.