Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
This game is going to own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I fell asleep on my couch today and my cat Sunny climbed onto my side and took a nap too

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wonder why its called legend of zelda, hmm.

because it sounds cool. There's a huge number of textual connections between games that suggest a chronology well beyond simple retellings. The "it's all a LEGEND" attitude is extremely boring and also just uninformed. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are mutually exclusive direct sequels to Ocarina of Time. It's how the plots of those games work.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Someone jog my memory of internet history, did the Zelda Timeline become a fandom thing around the time of Majora's Mask (the first direct sequel with plot implications) or Windwaker (which directly acknowledged the time travel fuckery)? Or is it older than that?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zeltik’s 60 minute analysis dropped.

https://youtu.be/hRcQRwjVhP0

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ganondorf in wind waker being the same one as ocarina of time is hard to square with a link to the past. I think it starts there

the oracle games & four swords came out in between majora and wind waker

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 14, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

website for the game got updated
https://www.zelda.com/tears-of-the-kingdom/en/features/

the wording of "try to uncover the secret menace that threatens Hyrule" makes me think we're probably not gonna be able to just stroll up to ganondorf and kill him right after the tutorial.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Zeltik’s 60 minute analysis dropped.

https://youtu.be/hRcQRwjVhP0

lmao RIP to the Cucco guy in Kakariko, first his wife leaves him and now a rock crushes his house. Guy can't catch any breaks

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember the old official Zelda website used to put everything together into a single timeline (it went through the N64 games at least), which I think had weird stuff like it was all a single Link but multiple Zeldas.

e: here it is: http://web.archive.org/web/20021002111625/http://www.zelda.com/lib_timeline.html. It uses the idea that the timeloops in Termina caused hundreds of years to pass before Link got back to stitch things to the 2D games.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 14, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Augus posted:

the wording of "try to uncover the secret menace that threatens Hyrule" makes me think we're probably not gonna be able to just stroll up to ganondorf and kill him right after the tutorial.

First off

quote:

new towns, dank caves

lol

But for real

Ultrahand

quote:

Using the new Ultrahand ability, Link can pick up, move, and rotate objects. He can even attach things together to create bridges, vehicles, and more!

The video is showing attaching logs together, and they 'link' when close enough to register. There's a fan engine you hit to power up its battery and can then attach it. It definitely shifted the fans to the optimal position when trying to place them so there must be some expected behavior it adheres to.

Fuse

quote:

Magically fuse objects to Link’s current weapon, shield, or arrow to increase durability, damage, or even add a new effect. Experiment with lots of different combinations to come up with surprising—and sometimes hilarious—results!

Examples of attaching a boulder to a stick for +2 damage, attaching chu jelly for elemental effect arrow, and eyeball for homing arrow, and then some kind of bloom flower on a shield that blows up when you block and stuns the enemy. The arrow thing seems like a tedious chore if you want to fire off a bunch of certain types, unless you can make ammo types in bulk and then swap them.

Ascend

quote:

Add a new dimension to your exploration with Ascend, which gives Link the ability to pass through solid objects above him. Rise up through ceilings, hillsides, and even certain enemies to create seemingly impossible shortcuts.

Just shows link using it to traverse from the underground to the snow field normal ground. There's a XY grid with a bright green orb that must me a location that you can traverse through.

Recall

quote:

Use Recall to reverse an object’s movement, letting Link ride fallen boulders skyward, recover thrown weapons, or send projectiles back where they came from.

I imagine there will be a lot of ground objects you use to ride back up to reach the sky map. The rest seems like it be some skill based combat tricks.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I used to post terrible fan art whenever the thread devolved into timeline chat. Now that just seems kind of mean. But also back then Nintendo hadn't released the "official" timeline so there was actually something to argue about. I'm glad BotW came out and was like "sure it's all one thing who cares have fun".

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Timeline is fun, imo, it's fodder for nerds to argue about and I'm a nerd who likes to argue. It doesn't really matter, the lore always comes last after gameplay and vibes, but the thread of something there is fun to pull.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right. It's fun to think about that sort of stuff and tie them together if possible. Just another way to appreciate something cool and good.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
one of the best zelda trailers ever imo

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I have never once tried to understand any inter-game timelines, and it doesn’t feel like I’m missing anything.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

MokBa posted:

I'm glad BotW came out and was like "sure it's all one thing who cares have fun".

It did not actually do this! At most, Aonuma has played coy about its placement in the timeline, but if you look at the details, two of the timelines in fact contradict Breath of the Wild, and one has no such contradictions.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Another great Zelda trailer.

https://youtu.be/VE2Dc1sx71U

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DoctorWhat posted:

because it sounds cool. There's a huge number of textual connections between games that suggest a chronology well beyond simple retellings. The "it's all a LEGEND" attitude is extremely boring and also just uninformed. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are mutually exclusive direct sequels to Ocarina of Time. It's how the plots of those games work.

Nah, things were perfectly fine and understood back on the n64 (oot/mm then lttp/la then loz/aol) but lore accurate nutjobs wouldnt shutup and we ended up bad zelda games and 3 dumb timelines that the last game wiped out and now we're back to having good zelda games.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Just Andi Now posted:

It did not actually do this! At most, Aonuma has played coy about its placement in the timeline, but if you look at the details, two of the timelines in fact contradict Breath of the Wild, and one has no such contradictions.

okay then how does link get the outfits from every timeline hmmm???

I refuse to think about the timelines and "look at the details" so you can't fool me with your trickster ways.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The power of the Amiibo transcends time and space.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

mycot posted:

Someone jog my memory of internet history, did the Zelda Timeline become a fandom thing around the time of Majora's Mask (the first direct sequel with plot implications) or Windwaker (which directly acknowledged the time travel fuckery)? Or is it older than that?

I'd guess it became a "thing" just whenever message boards became more popular, so like when GameFAQs launched their boards in 1999. Which also would've also lined up with Majora's Mask coming out soon.
Though I wouldn't be shocked to learn there were usenet/BBS nerds discussing the stories of AoL and LttP.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

As far as the history of the timeline, Up until and including OoT it was straightforward, based entirely on manual and in-game stories. OoT -> ALttP -> LoZ -> AoL

In 2002, Game Pro asked where Wind Waker placed in the series timeline and Aonuma and MIyamoto said this:

2002 Game Pro Interview posted:

Aonuma: You can think of this game as taking place over a hundred years after Ocarina of Time. You can tell this from the opening story, and there are references to things from Ocarina located throughout the game as well.

Miyamoto: Well, wait, which point does the hundred years start from?

Aonuma: From the end.

Miyamoto: No, I mean, as a child or as a...

Aonuma: Oh, right, let me elaborate on that. Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

Miyamoto: This is pretty confusing for us, too. (laughs) So be careful.

So it's been a question since they revealed games would be on different timelines.

The only real shakeup was when Hyrule Historia released in like 2011 which revealed the third timeline in the split.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats aonuma's fanfic

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah those zelda timelines are all fanfic. its an unworkable mess.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lot of good stuff in the Zeltik video. Lots of Skyward Sword references. No Groose though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's funny how people think Zelda Lore is either really deep or get mad about it when it's really just miyamoto and aonuma caring about plot only marginally more than in mario games and going "idk this game takes place in another hyrule. this game is an origin story for the 5th time"

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Trying to piece together the Lore is cool

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the zeltik guy calls the gachapon 'pachinko machines'

and says the thing that's clearly a kanji is 'a kanji like character'. it says 'time' 時

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Antonymous posted:

and says the thing that's clearly a kanji is 'a kanji like character'. it says 'time' 時

“After durability, how can we piss off the haters even more? Let’s add Gacha machines!”

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Augus posted:

Pointed out in Zeltik's video, too, but it's very explicit now that the sky island they've featured most is, as expected, the Great Plateau of TotK.

Antonymous posted:

It does make me wince a bit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I defeated a white lynel on master mode. It would have been fun if it lasted about half as long. Could have been easier if I had max upgrade guardian armor to make up for me being bad. Just need stars for that. Saving the camel should make the slog part fine.

Might actually upgrade the barbarian armor.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

ROFL Octopus posted:

Trying to piece together the Lore is cool

actually it's pretty loving nerdy

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Getting back to the heart of Zelda where Link starts the game asleep, having missing the land rising up under him and getting stuck in the sky for a bit.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Just Andi Now posted:

You mean it belongs at the very end of the 'hero fails' timeline?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Motto posted:

it's funny how people think Zelda Lore is either really deep or get mad about it when it's really just miyamoto and aonuma caring about plot only marginally more than in mario games and going "idk this game takes place in another hyrule. this game is an origin story for the 5th time"

See I think it's the opposite with some people so bothered by the entire notion they can't help but chuff at anyone trying to piece things together. It kind of just comes with the conversations. If two people want to discuss the Zelda timeline, a third person will show up to tell you how dumb they think that is.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Khanstant posted:

See I think it's the opposite with some people so bothered by the entire notion they can't help but chuff at anyone trying to piece things together. It kind of just comes with the conversations. If two people want to discuss the Zelda timeline, a third person will show up to tell you how dumb they think that is.

this is true and yeah it's getting a little old

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

four swords adventures has a mirror that connects to a dark realm and several dark link come out of it. Twilight princess has a mirror that connects to a twilight realm and in the expository cutscene about the mirror's history it inexplicably shows several dark link coming out of the mirror. The game ends with the mirror being shattered. And both games were written by the same person, the now director of animal crossing.

but the timeline puts four swords after twilight princess and basically denies that these are the same object

The oracle games end with the opening shot of link's awakening, pixel for pixel - link on a boat. But the timeline puts link's awakening as happening first

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want people to enjoy Zelda however they want but I personally wish to be free of that one friend who turns to me for all questions about deep lore on any franchise. Yes friend, I'm deeper into the rabbit hole than you are--no, I do not want to tell you how to feel about anything.

Enjoy the play your own way, I say!:cheers:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

It takes a lot of close analysis of the lore, so most people don't know that Uncle Fester canonically has the saddest backstory of the Addams Family members. Here's why:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Antonymous posted:

The oracle games end with the opening shot of link's awakening, pixel for pixel - link on a boat. But the timeline puts link's awakening as happening first

Oracle games were the dream that Link had after the dream of the Wind Fish. That's why it had a punching kangaroo and a bear with tiny wings.