Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've had kind of warm feelings toward MSI since I had an HP-branded motherboard with stupid proprietary BIOS that, through some research, I discovered was an off-the-shelf MSI board just with different cosmetics. Flashed it to the stock BIOS and suddenly the machine became totally usable. I think that was another socket 939 board - I had several machines built around socket 939 CPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A Swiss retailer posted their return rates for boards a few months ago. The Big 4 are pretty close, and then there is Biostar with a step back.

https://videocardz.com/newz/swiss-retailer-reveals-warranty-scores-for-gpu-motherboard-brands

At least Biostar is good about honoring the warranty quickly.

Everyone has personal experiences that lead them to dislike one or the other it seems. It's kinda like the primary US airlines. Everyone has one they just fuckin hate, but its different person to person. gently caress United btw.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've generally avoided ASUS motherboards since running a flaky socket 939 board (I can't remember which one specifically). I recognize that's not completely rational, but I think with a lot of computer hardware there is an intuitive/emotional component to preferences and biases. Sometimes it seems to pay off, like my aversion to Samsung SSDs, but that could easily be confirmation bias.

I think it's mostly because very few people ever really buy so much computer hardware in the course of their lifetime that the statistics matter.

If you get a bad Asus board or whatever in the AGP era, then you swear off Asus forever it's not like you've bought another dozen boards in the years since, and it's not like you've bought so many boards that losing one brand super-restricts your choices.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cygni posted:

It's kinda like the primary US airlines. Everyone has one they just fuckin hate, but its different person to person. gently caress United btw.
:hf: gently caress United.

I haven't had that many motherboards die on me, but I assume it is just like hard drives: Some people swear by western digital, some people swear by seagate, but I've seen them all fail and have zero brand loyalty because of it. For example my current backups are two 16 TB drives loaded identically, one is a seagate, the other is a western digital.

My last Asus board couldn't do XMP even though the memory I had in it was in the QVL, the only difference is the QVL was for the 64 GB configuration with all 4 DIMMs populated and I only had 32 GB with two DIMMs populated (and the board was a T topology so it didn't matter where the sticks were, but I tried both/all combinations anyway!). Currently using a gigabyte board that took considerable fighting to get XMP working, but did actually pull it off in the end. The main gripe I have about gigabyte is if memory training fails, the only way out is to clear cmos and reset EVERYTHING. When the asus boards failed memory training, they would fall back to jedec settings and get you back into bios with all the settings and profiles intact so you could continue troubleshooting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cygni posted:

Everyone has personal experiences that lead them to dislike one or the other it seems. It's kinda like the primary US airlines. Everyone has one they just fuckin hate, but its different person to person. gently caress United btw.

Delta sent my bag to the Florida once. I was going from Seattle to Vegas. gently caress Delta.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Delta sent my bag to the Florida once. I was going from Seattle to Vegas. gently caress Delta.

When I had to fly a lot my main memory of Delta is that the bathrooms on their planes always smelled like vomit. It was weirdly consistent.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

I once had DHL route a U.S. to Canada package through FRANKFURT. When I finally got it it was very obvious someone took a look at it in Germany, go “oh we hosed up” and slapped a second label that guaranteed very quick service on it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Every Crosshair Hero I've had has been loving perfect, but the latest one is like $999 and is apparently problematic. There is no 'perfect' choice for Zen 4 yet, everything comes with innate concessions. I don't doubt that it can eventually be good, but I'm sure as gently caress not paying that much to QA

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Not entirely sure if this is better suited for the AM5 thread or GPU thread, but I've run into an odd issue with MSI Afterburner on my AM5 setup. The first thing I do after every boot is manually open Afterburner, click my saved undervolt profile, and apply it. I restarted my PC today after some Windows updates and, upon opening Afterburner, all of my profiles were gone. The graphics card line, which usually states "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080," instead spit out hardware strings like VENDOR ID, SUBSYS, DEVICE ID, etc. Obviously the 3080 was working fine, or else I would not have been able to actually see anything on my monitor. The only thing that tipped me off to it being an AMD issue is that Afterburner, in the Driver Version line, listed AMD Adrenaline instead of an NVIDIA driver number.

The only way I can get Afterburner to detect my GPU anymore is if I go into my motherboard's BIOS to disable the iGPU entirely. Previously left it on auto. Afterburner then sees my 3080 and my three saved profiles are able to be selected or modified. If I leave the iGPU enabled, Device Manager shows the same hardware strings as a separate video adapter and Afterburner refuses to communicate with my dedicated GPU. I've been using the same B650E Aorus Master fw since December and haven't made any tweaks since initially configuring my RAM timings, so I'm inclined to believe this somehow got broken with either a scheduled AMD update (despite disabling the AMD update task in Task Scheduler over a month ago) or the monthly Windows update.

The current temporary fix is to leave the iGPU disabled.

Any idea why Afterburner would refuse to communicate with the 3080 when iGPU is set to auto in BIOS? I can't figure out why it insists on trying to trying to view/modify iGPU values when my monitor is plugged into the dedicated GPU and there's nothing plugged into the mobo's HDMI port.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Windows used to have a tendency to auto-install really old AMD drivers, I haven't had that happen in a while though. Is there any reason you need it set to auto? I'd just disable it and call it a day

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Windows used to have a tendency to auto-install really old AMD drivers, I haven't had that happen in a while though. Is there any reason you need it set to auto? I'd just disable it and call it a day

My thought process is that, if my GPU takes a dump, I may have issues running the iGPU until I can get a replacement card. Maybe it is no longer an issue with motherboards, but I previously had a GPU burn out on me and was unable to get into the BIOS to re-enable the iGPU. A friend had to lend me his GPU so I could actually turn the iGPU back on. I had to install a GPU, connect the monitor, turn on iGPU in BIOS, and then I could finally navigate the BIOS with my monitor connected to the mobo via HDMI. I will have to take a look later to see if I can connect my monitor to the motherboard and still get into the bios with igpu disabled. If it works, then yeah, I'll just leave it disabled and go on with life.

More than anything, I'm not sure why the auto setting has allowed Afterburner to communicate with my GPU for ~5 months and, all of a sudden, no longer works. Even if Windows update did decide to install an old driver for the iGPU, it doesn't explain why the display adapter shows up as only hardware strings in devmgmt, nor does it explain why Afterburner refuses to modify dGPU values when an iGPU is set to auto.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

You didn't say what board you have but most any modern board has a way to reset to defaults without any of that BS. It's one touch for me, I'd consult your manual. If it doesn't, just go old school and pop the cmos battery after it's been unplugged long enough for all the lights to die.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, resetting the CMOS should always put you back into a situation where you can use your iGPU again.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

:kiddo: Thank you both. I hadn't even considered clearing CMOS. Future crisis successfully averted. It's a Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master, which seemingly has been discontinued to be replaced by the (slightly) cheaper Tachyon or a future revision.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
in trying to reseat an nvme drive I broke a capacitor off from my MSI B550 board and everything still works fine? No probs for a day or so. Amazing.

Anyhoo...got a replacement coming, thanks for reading!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

deskmini x300 with 4650g trip report:

Assembly went well in one shot and burn testing went perfectly. Had to turn off core boosting and PBO to get the temperatures I wanted, setting PPT to literally anything fails to boot past BIOS.

I'm gonna feel smart for like 1 hour

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Hot loving drat, the build was a bit of a nightmare and I christened it with my blood, but the 7800x3D lived up to everything I'd hoped for.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

deskmini x300 with 4650g trip report:

Assembly went well in one shot and burn testing went perfectly. Had to turn off core boosting and PBO to get the temperatures I wanted, setting PPT to literally anything fails to boot past BIOS.

I'm gonna feel smart for like 1 hour

This is odd, I'll pop back into my bios to confirm but I've been able to set PPT to all sorts of numbers between 40 and 65 and it POSTs. I also turned off PBO2 to get better temps.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Just got my 7800x3d build up and running.

Hardest part was cleaning all the drat dust out of the case. That and getting the video card seated. They've got so many heatsinks and poo poo on some of these mobos now that getting a big 3 slot card in can be difficult. Had to remove one of the m.2 heatsinks to do it.

Everything has a silky smooth feel to it. Even things like the web browser (firefox and edge) and running office are noticeably faster. Booting is a bit slower though. Must be from the DDR5. Didn't change my SSD (Samsung 970 Pro).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Just got my 7800x3d build up and running.

Hardest part was cleaning all the drat dust out of the case. That and getting the video card seated. They've got so many heatsinks and poo poo on some of these mobos now that getting a big 3 slot card in can be difficult. Had to remove one of the m.2 heatsinks to do it.

Everything has a silky smooth feel to it. Even things like the web browser (firefox and edge) and running office are noticeably faster. Booting is a bit slower though. Must be from the DDR5. Didn't change my SSD (Samsung 970 Pro).

You do the BIOS update? I thought there were rolling out updates to speed up boot.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The mobo (gigabyte aorus x670e) shipped with BIOS F8 I think and the initial boot (about 5 min) was on that one.

I updated it to F10 or something, whatever the latest is, and now its something like 10-15-ish seconds to boot. Just a little slower than my x570 mobo was. So not bad.

I turned on context restore and turned off fast boot though too. The latter in particular can cause issues when overclocking the RAM sometimes.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

The mobo (gigabyte aorus x670e) shipped with BIOS F8 I think and the initial boot (about 5 min) was on that one.

I updated it to F10 or something, whatever the latest is, and now its something like 10-15-ish seconds to boot. Just a little slower than my x570 mobo was. So not bad.

I turned on context restore and turned off fast boot though too. The latter in particular can cause issues when overclocking the RAM sometimes.

What else do you recommend to do besides updating bios, turning on context restore, and turning off fast boot? I've not had an AMD cpu before so all the stuff about PBO etc etc is new to me

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Try to get Hynix DDR5 and then watch the BZ vid about how to overclock it and set the timings easily.

Overclocking DDR5 is PITA on either AMD or Intel right now. Intel you can the clocks sky high but good luck getting it stable with good timings past 7200. AMD doesn't clock very high, but then there isn't much point going past 6000 anyways for it, but is more consistent and predictable in its behavior.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Could one of you 7800X3D havers benchmark X4 if you have it?

Otherwise, you can get it and 4 expansions (plus maybe some more?) if you're made out of money.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Could one of you 7800X3D havers benchmark X4 if you have it?

Otherwise, you can get it and 4 expansions (plus maybe some more?) if you're made out of money.

If nobody else gets to it, and my replacement motherboard arrives tomorrow, I'll try to do that for you on the weekend!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

If nobody else gets to it, and my replacement motherboard arrives tomorrow, I'll try to do that for you on the weekend!
Ah, you play the game already? I haven't seen you posting in the thread.

What I'm really looking for is a late-game benchmark, as there's a pretty substantial difference - especially if you have a save with a PHQ that's fully-capable of building all ship sizes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What I'm really looking for is a late-game benchmark, as there's a pretty substantial difference - especially if you have a save with a PHQ that's fully-capable of building all ship sizes.

Oh, I might need you to give me a save then, because I've never played it. I just noticed this when I clicked your link:

I thought it came with a benchmark. (I have a Steam problem.)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, I might need you to give me a save then, because I've never played it. I just noticed this when I clicked your link:

I thought it came with a benchmark. (I have a Steam problem.)
There isn't a built-in benchmark feature, but there's a long-running thread which covers the 5800X3D and a few other CPUs.

EDIT: This is the real comparison target, for reference.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 13, 2023

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

This is odd, I'll pop back into my bios to confirm but I've been able to set PPT to all sorts of numbers between 40 and 65 and it POSTs. I also turned off PBO2 to get better temps.
It might be some weirdness about the 4650g being a Pro sku, but I got most of what I wanted a different way anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

The nature of benchmarking games kind of undersells these massive cache CPUs because no reviewers are really going to go through the use cases where they excel (like, say, massive factorio saves, third party CPU hog airliners in MSFS, or end-game stellaris runs)

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Here's what I got with my 78, CL30-36-36-76 6000 RAM:
Young Gun: 118-120
Empire Empty Area: 100-120
Empire Dense Area: 18-22

The dense area is definitely banging its head against the clock speed, but otherwise the 78 is about on par with the 58 from that post with some wiggle room for system weirdnesses. Though obviously I had it framecapped to 120.

Fake Edit: I did run it at 1080p with everything off/low and my 2070 barely noticed the game was running.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 14, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ardryn posted:

Here's what I got with my 78, CL30-36-36-76 6000 RAM:
Young Gun: 118-120
Empire Empty Area: 100-120
Empire Dense Area: 18-22

The dense area is definitely banging its head against the clock speed, but otherwise the 78 is about on par with the 58 from that post with some wiggle room for system weirdnesses. Though obviously I had it framecapped to 120.

Fake Edit: I did run it at 1080p with everything off/low and my 2070 barely noticed the game was running.
Thank you so much, this is pretty much what I expected - although I'm kinda surprised it's even managing ~20fps in the dense empire, it's nice to see that it's essentially hitting the framecap for OOS.

The trick to playing X4 late-game is to move your PHQ with all its ship creation capabilities to a sector where you don't normally fly through when auto-piloting.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Apr 14, 2023

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Thank you so much, this is pretty much what I expected - although I'm kinda surprised it's even managing ~20fps in the dense empire, it's nice to see that it's essentially hitting the framecap for OOS.

The trick to playing X4 late-game is to move your PHQ with all its ship creation capabilities to a sector where you don't normally fly through when auto-piloting.

It definitely took a little doing to finish this build, but overall I've been blown away by the 78 after upgrading from my 39x. I love mapgames and sims, and post-2350 huge maps on Stellaris packed with mods like gigastructures and NSC2 can still get an increase from fast gamespeed, which was impossible for the 39, and an old rimworld save, heavily modded of course, went from barely sustaining 100 tps to easily hitting over 280.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I just built my new pc with new mobo, new 7800x3d, new ram, new ssds, my previous GPU, but not getting any monitor signal. It's starting up and everything, lights are going on, fans are on, but just no signal.

Is it possible that this is because the gigabyte b650 needs to update its bios to support the 7800x3d? Is there a way to flash the bios without needing a monitor?

Or maybe it could be some ram stick/slot bullshit...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

whalestory posted:

I just built my new pc with new mobo, new 7800x3d, new ram, new ssds, my previous GPU, but not getting any monitor signal. It's starting up and everything, lights are going on, fans are on, but just no signal.

Is it possible that this is because the gigabyte b650 needs to update its bios to support the 7800x3d? Is there a way to flash the bios without needing a monitor?

Pull out your video card and plug a monitor directly into the motherboard. Some BIOS default to onboard first, and never init the video card, waiting for the (not yet present) O/S to do it. Another possibility is first time RAM training can take >5 minutes, so maybe just wait?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

whalestory posted:

To get the obvious question out of the way first: Is your monitor plugged into the graphics card or into the hdmi port on your motherboard's rear I/O? Make sure it's plugged into the graphics card.

If that's correct, then just try waiting a while. First boot on some AM5 motherboards can take several minutes actually, so you may need to just let it train your memory and work stuff out.

If after 10 minutes or so it still doesn't boot, then we try to flash the bios. This can be done without a monitor. Here's a quick guide from Gigabyte (scroll to the bottom). The port you plug the USB drive into should be marked on your I/O shield (labeled "BIOS").

edit: Though I'll add that I tested a 7800X3D on a Gigabyte B650 board yesterday, and it posted without issue using a bios version from September. So updating just to get it to post shouldn't be necessary, but I guess you can never be sure with these things. Oh, and when downloading a new bios from your motherboard's support site, get the highest version number without a letter after it. (So, F4 instead of F5a or whatever). That will be the latest non-beta BIOS version.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 15, 2023

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I tried both plugging the monitor into the graphics card and the mobo earlier and neither worked. But i'll give these a shot, thanks!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

I did have to flash my 670 elite when I built my 78, I actually thought I had hosed up for a little while as I tried to q-flash but it didn't work for some reason and I had to plug a display in and flash it from inside the BIOS.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I tried booting and letting it sit for 10 minutes with displayport plugged into gpu, then did it again plugged into motherboard, then again plugged into motherboard with the gpu taken out, and now I'm trying plugged into motherboard with gpu and one ram stick taken out :twisted:

Oh yeah I also tried the Q flash plus thing but it it only stayed on for like 5 minutes before shutting off... what's that's about? That doesn't seem like nearly enough time, nor did it seem to do anything.

I think I'm going to keep removing stuff until it starts working, maybe even switch to hdmi, who knows. I'm getting sleepy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If the first 10-minute boot session didn't do it, then please don't feel compelled to keep waiting that long every boot attempt. There's something else wrong here. What do the diagnostic LEDs say, usually somewhere around the right edge of the board? Does it go back and forth between any of the lights, does it reach boot and stay there, or does it get stuck on anything else?

You can also try using one stick of RAM at a time in different slots. But I'm starting to think that you may need to RMA the board.