Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

And that's with a very strong dollar/yen exchange rate today, the historical rates of ~100-115 yen per dollar means it would have been between 1050-1200 dollars for the meal in 2016. That's some expensive sushi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Also means you can make some real bank beating up weird subconscious monsters in the evil subway, hopefully Joker managed to keep it through the events of the endgame and can invest.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

kw0134 posted:

The cause of death is unknown… The authorities couldn’t tell whether it was a murder or a suicide.

Are there really that many good ways to kill yourself that are completely impossible to identify cause of death? I feel like the assumption should probably just be murder, or at least just natural causes.

Hmm… think, Maaku, does this remind you of anything you heard about recently…?
There’s a criminal using the Metaverse for their own ends…
My mom died… They said it was a suicide, but it was murder… This person is causing mental shutdowns… They’re completely traceless!
Man, if there’s two things I hate, it’s reporters and bureaucrats. We should eradicate all of them.
Hmm, can’t think of anything… Oh well.

I am surprised that this point was never tied into the main story and was just left in Ohya's confidant.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Flair posted:

I am surprised that this point was never tied into the main story and was just left in Ohya's confidant.

To be fair, it'd be weird if you hypothetically spedrun the confidant before getting to this point. Or just straight up never touched it like I did. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also in one of her ranks she straight up namedrops Shido and says that Kayo was closing in on one of his cronies, and AFAIK there's no time gate on her confidant so you can find this out in like summer.

Joker will never think that name is worth looking into, because he cares as little about Ohya's confidant as the rest of us.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

kw0134 posted:

And that's with a very strong dollar/yen exchange rate today, the historical rates of ~100-115 yen per dollar means it would have been between 1050-1200 dollars for the meal in 2016. That's some expensive sushi!

the gently caress kind of rare fish were they eating? Gold fish, made of actual gold? Prepared by Takashi Saito*?

*I was looking for a literal god of sushi, but that's all Google could give me. But it was a 2016 article, so it fits

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NullBlack posted:

the gently caress kind of rare fish were they eating? Gold fish, made of actual gold? Prepared by Takashi Saito*?

*I was looking for a literal god of sushi, but that's all Google could give me. But it was a 2016 article, so it fits

Funny thing is that Taito's restaurant got its Michelin stars stripped about three years ago... not because of quality, but because it wasn't open to the public and they only award stars to places that the public can actually go to.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

NullBlack posted:

You are missing out on Jiro Ono who is the GOAT.

That being said, his restaurant was also stripped of its Michelin stars because it is also not available to the general public.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 117: 9/1: Back To School

This update covers content from Part 96 of the original LP.

Anon: who the hell is admin?

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Ooh, a uniform!

Unlike *someone* I know, I have to go to school.
Hehehe, suckerrrrrr!
Now, Futaba, don’t be like that. You promised to start getting up in the morning, at least…
The sun! It burns!

(Newscaster) In regard to the so-called “Phantom Thieves” events that have been a hot topi among the general public… The prime minister held a press conference at his official residence to address the problem.
(Prime Minister) The government acknowledges the current rumors of the group called the Phantom Thieves. We are currently confirming facts with the police and wish to deal with it in an appropriate—
Even the prime minister’s talking about the Phantom Thieves?
They’re allies of justice, after all.
They change hearts, huh…? I wonder if it’s true.
Looks like we’re finally being recognized across the country.

Yeah, sure, whatever.

Let’s find clues on that case as soon as we can too, and resolve it ourselves. …For Futaba’s sake too.
…You two really get along, don’t you?

No.

You’re gonna be late if you don’t get going soon.
Good luck on your student duties.

Oh by the way, any progress on learning to read over the summer?
gently caress! Knew I forgot something!

(Train Monitor) We’ve even received messages about how the Phantom Thieves are all students talk about these days.
(Businessman) Do you know about them?
(Businessman’s Boss) They’re the only thing my daughter speaks to me about. She’s been glued to this… Phan-Site thing. I thought it was just an ordinary website…
Lately they’ve added a polling feature to ask who you’d like to see have a change of heart. Given people’s heightened expectations, it’s been receiving a lot of votes.

Was that your big idea, Mishima? That seems… ill-advised.

Huh… Maybe I should go vote for our company president. “Change his heart so he’ll raise our salaries!” Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?

Not like I did anything during summer break. I just stayed in and played online games.
(Peppy Student) Nothing you could’ve done this summer would’ve topped the Phantom Thieves! Hacking Medjed and all the other stuff—it was totally nuts!

What does he mean by “all the other stuff”? That’s like, the one thing we did.

Everyone online was waiting for the deadline to hit. People sure do love the Phantom Thieves. Speaking of, have you checked out the Phan-Site recently? They added a bunch of new stuff, including the option to rank people to get a change of heart.

Music: My Homie

How desperate are you?

*miscellaneous student chatter*
*AHEM*

I hope you all enjoyed your vacation. I was busy toiling over a hot stove.
Yeah, yeah, cute metaphor, we get it.
Metaphor? Oh, right, I’m not supposed to talk about that here.

I’m glad that school has finally resumed so we can get the Kawakami event that requires it and we can finally rescue her from slaving away in the fetish mines.

Anyway, while I’ve been preparing to sell my soul, among other things, the school has also been preparing the school trip set for next week. We’re going to Hawaii. Be excited.

Worth noting that Royal does not fix the error in this scene that states that the school trip is on Monday instead of Wednesday.

*more student chatter*

Be less excited. I have a headache.

You can speak English, right?
Basically, yeah.
(Piggybacking Girl) That’s amazing!
I lived over there, so it’s nothing that special.
Hey, if there’s something we’re not sure of in English, can we ask you about it?
Huh!?

It’s very strange to me that not only is Ann not an outcast any more as of the end of the Kamoshida arc, they have this scene of Ann being coveted here for her ability to speak English. Seems somewhat counter to what the game is generally going for, but also, the girls wanting Ann to help with English never goes anywhere. There’s one more brief mention of it in Hawaii, but that’s it. It’s like the writers just realized “hey, Ann speaks English, we should probably mention this”, but they end up drawing way too much attention to it and it distracts the audience, much like I’m doing right now.

Is it the same for you? Talk about being popular.

Actually, all anyone’s talking about here is Hawaii.

Anyways, now that a new semester’s started, let’s have another operation meeting.

Early Morning → Lunchtime

Temperance Rank 8.5: Part 97

Hamiru-kun, please come to the Student Guidance Office.
That sounded like Kawakami. I wonder what’s up…

Oh, there’s the event I mentioned earlier.

You didn’t pull me out of class, it’s lunchtime. Anyway, please continue.

I told them… that I’m not going to pay them any more money!

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I’m quitting my part-time job too! Although I’m still in talks with my boss about it. I’m going to devote myself to being a great teacher! No matter what others say, I won’t waver. So, thank you for giving me such good advice. I just thought you should be the first to know…

I feel like I’m walking on air. Nothing can possibly bring me down now…

Music: Desire

(Takase’s Male Relative) Surprise, bitch!
Oh, what the *gently caress*…
(Takase’s Female Relative) And she’s with that churlish student again… Hmph.
My name’s… uh… Ryuji Sakamoto. Don’t forget it, lady.

How rude… I guess a student is only as good as his teacher. Obviously you lack a proper education.

You think you can just call us out of the blue and say you’re not going to keep paying? Who do you think you are? We have a lifestyle to maintain off the back of your hard labor!
Yes, well… this is what I’ve decided. It’s for Takase-kun’s sake. I’ve decided that the best way to make it up to him is to make sure there won’t be any more students like him.
You’re just dodging responsibility! You don’t care about Taiki!
She cares more than you, clearly.
Let me handle this, Sakamoto-kun.

How are you still a teacher? Maybe we really should sue the Board of Education! Are you okay with that? A teacher who caused her student to die would surely cause a scandal.
I’m not going to run or hide! I’m going to spend my time taking care of my students. If you want to take legal action, then go ahead. Regardless, I’ll continue teaching. I’ve decided that that’s the best apology I can make to Takase-kun. Paying mone to you two is not the solution, to say the least!

Sexworkersayswhat?
What!?
Gotcha! I knew you had to be hiding something. There’s no way you could afford to pay us on a teacher’s salary, after all.
If you knew she couldn’t afford it, why were you asking her to pay you so much?
We thought it’d be funny.
Hmm… Two on one… I don’t like these odds… For me.
What are you going on about?
Please don’t make me kick your rear end. I’d probably lose.
Hami—Sakamoto-kun, stop…!
Shut up, Hamiru.
Huh!? How did you know my name!?
She said it last time we met, idiot.

Well? Shall we head over to the faculty office?
Stop… Please.
Hah! A teacher working in the sex industry? You’ve definitely done it this time. How unfortunate for you that you thought you could just leave Taiki’s matter unsettled… You know what you have to do now, right? Pay up! And don’t ever call us again with this garbage about stopping the payments!

Music: Suspicion

Haha… I guess I can’t quit my part-time job just yet.

Or, we could contact a friend of mine. I think he’d be willing to help us dispose of a few corpses.

Halfway through this joke I realized I definitely used it somewhere in the original LP, but I’m not searching to find it.

Tempting… but no. I guess I’m stuck after all…

What about the Phantom Thieves…? Would they even help someone like me? No, that’s impossible… Haha…

Kawakami, I guarantee you. The Phantom Thieves have interfered in much less justified and much pettier disputes than this.

Kawakami appears to be deeply hurting… I need to do something for Kawakami…
I can’t do this anymore…

Gimme their names.
You mean the Takases? …I’m a little suspicious, but then again, you did seem afraid to fight them, so…

The husband is Toshio-san… and his wife is Hiromi-san… Haha, I could never forget them. I send them money every week…

Wait, you’re not actually going to ask the Phantom Thieves for help, are you? Please, don’t. A Shujin teacher requesting the aid of the Phantom Thieves would be…
Hey. Don’t worry about it.

I’m sorry. I was so excited to tell you what I had decided… and then it ended up like this… Just forget everything, okay? If you think about it, I’m right back where I started… …… …I guess I’ll never be able to change. Y-Yeah, haha… Class is about to start… I need to go.

I need to go kill those two in real life for Kawakami… Wait, no, bad Maaku. Kawakami wouldn’t want that. Just change their hearts, okay?

Lunchtime → After School

Anon: AGAIN, YAAAAAAS!
Anon: too slow. hurry, do another
Anon: I knew it!!! hahaha
Anon: justice was w/ the thieves.
Anon: Thanks, Phantom Thieves!

Rankings, huh? Sounds interesting!
All you do is vote? Isn’t that kind of pointless?
You never know. They might be looking at it.
I’m sure the Phantom Thieves will steal their heart!

Music: Wicked Plan

Futaba! Did you come here by yourself?
I went to get her since I got out of school early.
What a patronizing Inari…

We should probably get talkin’ about our next target. Let’s do someone huge this time!
What about that villain using the Metaverse?
Yeah, but we don’t got any idea how to find them…

But! You know how we’re totes popular right now? Everyone at school’s talkin’ about us, and not a day goes by when you don’t hear about it on TV either! We totally made it big, don’tcha think?

Yeah, the rankings on the site have been crazy too.
Oh, right, the site. The rankings won’t stop changing by the second. People are really excited about it, they’re voting nonstop… But that’s not what’s important right now. We gotta find that criminal!
Yeah! Taking down someone causing mental shutdowns left and right’ll make the chicks fall all over us!
Sure, if that’s what it takes to get you excited to find my mom’s killer…

Are there really no clues regarding those mental shutdown cases? If I remember right, wasn’t the older Niijima sister investigating it?

Oh, right, what a weird coincidence. Makoto, you’re up!
I don’t think it’s advisable to ask her for information… My sister isn’t terribly forthcoming with details about her, and our relationship is somewhat strained these days regardless.
How strained? Is there any chance we could—
Last time I asked her about her job, she immediately stood up, said she wasn’t hungry, and threw the dinner I made her in the trash.
Maybe she really wasn’t—
She looked me dead in the eye while she did it. Unblinking. Spiteful, even.
Right…

If you can’t ask her, wanna just extract that data? Does she have a personal laptop or something?
Don’t tell me…

Just stick this baby in, and it’ll clone the internal hard drive! It’ll even bypass the OS password! You’ll have to plug it directly into her laptop though. Can you do it?

Whether I “can” isn’t the issue.
Translation: she can.
It’s a massive invasion of privacy!
Massive invasions of privacy are Futaba’s whole thing.
That’s not—
Come oooooooooooooonnnnnn. It’ll be fun.
…Oh, fine. I’ll do it.
Peer pressure always works!
None of you are my peers.

Music: Disquiet

But I gave a gag order in regards to Mr. Kamoshida’s case…

You’re in charge of a school, you oaf. Brats are going to run their mouths.

P-Please wait! Please give me some time!

You exhausted your last chance months ago. Truth be told, the only reason we haven’t dealt with you yet is due to a series of frankly embarrassing clerical errors on our part. See, no one could figure out why our massive political murder conspiracy had a high school principal on the payroll, so they assumed the matter was either above their paygrade or simply a mistake. It took months for someone to work up the nerve to point it out to me, and what do you know? I had completely forgotten you were even alive. I won’t make that mistake twice. Next time I forget your existence, it’ll be when the world has done the same.

I will find evidence on the Phantom Thieves for sure!

We no longer require your assistance with that matter. We have our own ways to draw them out.

I couldn’t have made it this far, had it not been for your assistance, sir… so…

Yes. That is entirely the problem.

Please… Please let me—
*dial tone*

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Still another six months ahead of you. Keep yourself in check, got it?

Yes, if you look away for even a single moment, the order changes completely.

By the way, how are things going for you, Makoto?

Sis isn’t home yet. She may not come back at all tonight.
Man, just think how great it’d be to narrow down our targets!
That’s true, but… Aren’t you guys taking this too lightly? All the pressure here rests on me.

>No, I think we’re all treating this with an appropriate level of seriousness. You’re hosed, though.

Ugh…

Let’s leave this to Makoto. I’m sure she’ll be able to pull it off.

There’s something at the secondhand shop, you say?

Many celebrities have started posting public apologies on their personal blogs and other outlets. General opinion appears to hold the Phantom Thieves responsible for the deluge of apologies… The rationale is that the celebrities will be spared by the Phantom Thieves if they apologize preemptively.
Some people are just confession what they’ve done wrong on their own? They must be scared of us.

(Innocent Grade Schooler) No… Just cram school. No anime or video games. All my friends played soccer without me…
During summer break, I’ve been looking up the Phantom Thieves on my dad’s computer.
Oh, the Phantom Thieves fan site!? I wanna see it too!

Since Morgana mentioned it, we’ll check out the secondhand shop.

And what do you know, they’ve got the broken laptop. We buy that and a Black Kotagana.

I tried numerous times, but the “Empress” card keeps appearing. Last time, I felt that you were having trouble with women, but I sense something different now… A-Anyway, please be careful… Well then, what would you like to do today…?

We need another affinity reading.

Next up, we hit the Shibuya bookstore and pick up the remaining books. The only ones available only cover locations, though.

After that, we head to Akihabara. It’s kinda dead at night.

(Drab Man) Haha, y-you think so? H-Hey, are you hungry? How about we—
So sorry, our time is up. That’ll be 30,000 yen. Unless you want an extension. That’s 6,000 yen per hour.
Sorry, I’m all out of cash… I gotta save up before I can see you again.

Let’s head to the arcade. Shinya won’t be there since it’s past his bedtime, but there’s something I never showed in the original LP.

There’s a crane game over here.

It’s 300 yen per play. Did you want to give it a shot?

Let’s do it.

It’s shaking…!

FIRST TRY! I’m the best in the world!

A Jack Frost doll, huh? You should put it somewhere in your room when we get home!

So, your odds of crane game success are determined by your Proficiency, unlike in the real world where they’re determined by the operator. Still, I’m shocked I got a prize on the first try.

Let’s grab this PC Tool Set from the nearby machine parts store so we can fix up that laptop.

Getting this thing to work won’t be easy. Fixing this will take quite a bit of time.

Music: Everyday Days

Repairing such a complex machine is sure to have improved your Proficiency.

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

Sweet, we maxed our Proficiency.

Music: Dark Net

Tanaka, my man!

Here we sell wonderful and rare items that are not circulated among the general public! Curious about something? You’ve got access! Want something? You’ve got access!

What the heck? It just went to that site automatically. Was it configured to do that beforehand? Shady Commodities? So… It’s an online shopping site?

I don’t know what I was expecting when I fixed this laptop, but it wasn’t the opportunity to buy heroin. No, wait, I do know what I was expecting: Pornography.

Either way, it’s certainly got my attention. Let’s check it out when we have some time.

That’ll do it for today’s update, but considering that I’m posting this one on the third anniversary of me starting this LP, I thought I might as well share some stats. I started this LP 1095 days ago, and we’ve covered… 146 days of the game. That’s one in-game day every 7.5 real days on average. Also, 1095 days divided by 117 updates is about 9.36 real days per update. Also, the average update covers about 1.25 game days. That’s even with exams, yikes.

I’m sure that’s all very interesting to all of you, but let’s get to the real point of this: figuring out when I’ll be done. I know it’s not the actual ending, but we’ll set the end date in-game as December 23rd because I’m seriously dreading Christmas Eve, it’s going to take forever. That leaves 113 more days in the game. 113 times 7.5 is 847.5, so I’ll be finished on approximately… Thursday, August 7th. 2025. And that’ll be about 91 updates.

I gotta fuckin’ speed up, y’all.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 26, 2023

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
wow, 2025? you'll finish right in time for the p3 remake!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I firmly believe in your ability to end this right as another Persona 5 version drops

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't believe we're already halfway through the vanilla content, what a rush!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

rannum posted:

I firmly believe in your ability to end this right as another Persona 5 version drops

Let's Play Persona 5: The Phantom X by Arist

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Flair posted:

Let's Play Persona 5: The Phantom X by Arist

There's also Strikers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gantolandon posted:

There's also Strikers.

Musou games are trickier to screenshot LP if you want to show off gameplay, I guess? I mean it's pretty doable and you're probably playing Strikers for the story than combat, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How many years have you been LPing Persona 5 now? :dogstare:

Also, as a belated return to the topic of Q2, it's really weird to think that, in order for the game to use every party member, the Phantom Thieves are being all buddy buddy with the casts of the previous two games while knowingly harboring a serial killer in their midst.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Arist posted:

It’s very strange to me that not only is Ann not an outcast any more as of the end of the Kamoshida arc, they have this scene of Ann being coveted here for her ability to speak English.

high school girls are very fickle.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

kebyou posted:

high school girls are very fickle.

On one hand she's a foreign freak who shall never be allowed into the In-Group.

On the other hand she can help us with our English homework.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Musou games are trickier to screenshot LP if you want to show off gameplay, I guess? I mean it's pretty doable and you're probably playing Strikers for the story than combat, at least.

The worst thing about LP-ing Strikers are those mini-conversations happening during the combat. If you play with Japanese dub, it's even more of a pain.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 118: Striking Out (Not real)

So, a recent topic of conversation in the thread has been whether or not I’ll LP Persona 5 Strikers when I finally finish Royal, because apparently no one here has learned anything from the last time you facetiously asked me to LP something. In actuality, though, I kind of doubt I will LP Strikers, and I thought since the topic is relevant I figured I might as well throw together a quick, ordered list containing my reasons for not doing so. In ascending order of importance, here’s every reason I can think of not to do it. There’s fairly minor spoilers for Strikers in here, but nothing in any way important.

492. This gimmick is already wearing thin:

It’d be really funny, though.

491. I don’t want to dedicate my entire life to Persona 5:

It’d be really funny, though.

78. Musou games are extremely hard to SSLP:

“Musou”, the Japanese name for Koei Tecmo’s “Warriors” franchise, has become a genre in and of itself. For those of you who are unaware of it, it’s basically the player controlling a character and mowing down massive hordes of generally extremely weak enemies. Strikers was actually developed by Koei Tecmo as a spinoff entry into this genre. As you might imagine, straight-up action gameplay is hard to depict in screenshots! I could maybe figure out a hybrid format to show off battles, but my voice is awful and I’m terrible at talking.

77. This specific musou game has a few problems:

Strikers is a game I like a lot. It’s fun! But it does have some issues. Namely, when it’s not occasionally maddeningly difficult, it’s incredibly easy. Normal battles can sometimes last only seconds, while bosses have massive health bloat. The former issue is more relevant, because in those cases there’s just nothing to show.

54. The story takes a while to pick up:

Strikers has a surprisingly fun story (certainly far more involved and surprising than anything the Persona 4 Arena games got up to). That said, the first several hours are pretty repetitive in terms of narrative. What I’m saying is, it would be kind of boring for both you and me.

37. Canon is a nightmare:

Strikers and Royal were developed concurrently, so despite Strikers taking place after Persona 5, it doesn’t reference anything from Royal. There’s ways to dance around the lack of acknowledgment, but it would be kind of a pain… to… actually, never mind this one, I just realized it would be kind of fun to poke holes in the timeline.

23. You know how P5 proper doesn’t do the franchise’s favorite tired hot springs bit, thank god?

Well…

11. I made the Strikers thread in the Games subforum and I already used my good thread title idea on that one:

It was “Abolish The Carceral State of Mind,” and I had already reused it from a joke in this LP.

6. The audio mixing on the dialogue is bad:

I know it’s a screenshot LP, shut up.

2. The antialiasing looks like loving GARBAGE:

I know I’ve framed this whole list as a joke, but these are legitimately the top two reasons. At full resolution, the game’s antialiasing doesn’t seem to… uh… work. At least, not in a way that looks at all presentable. I’d post a screenshot here, but when I reduce the image size to make it fit in here it stops looking weird. And yes, I do understand that that means it wouldn’t affect the way the LP actually looks, but I’d still have to look at it! I’d still know!

1. I don’t want to go back to the old portraits:

This is going to be extremely in-the-weeds, but whatever: You may have noticed that Persona 5 Royal added some new portrait poses for the Phantom Thieves. It’s actually more drastic than that: basically every single one of their portraits was redrawn, even the ones in the original poses. The only ones that weren’t redrawn are the ones that simply didn’t get used at all. So instead of Royal’s Normal Ryuji, we have Vanilla Normal Ryuji:

And instead of Royal’s Excited Ryuji, we get Vanilla Excited Ryuji:

The really distracting one, personally, is Morgana, who is much more circular in the vanilla game:

This may seem like the pettiest grievance of all time, but I have spent probably, at the very least, a literal, actual month of my life staring at this game. And as someone who’s spent all that time doing this, there’s now something… vaguely grotesque about the OG portraits to me. It’s just… off, just wrong somehow. And because, again, Strikers and Royal were developed concurrently, Strikers uses the original game’s portraits as a base, not Royal’s, so I’d be subjected to Original Ryuji, Original Morgana, Original Ann, et cetera, et cetera (okay, I’m exaggerating a bit. Those are really the only three that are at all noticeable. But Ryuji’s and Morgana’s are extremely noticeable to me). It’s just gonna bother me forever if I do it.

So, will I do Strikers? Again, my current thinking is “probably not.” But hey, who knows, right? Anything’s possible.

Also, yes, this counts as a real update for some reason.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 16, 2023

s__herzog
Sep 13, 2022

Arist: is intimidated by the ratio of real-life days to in-game days during the LP

Also Arist: posts an official update that does not advance any (even fractional) in-game days

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Side-grin Ryuji and round Morgana are problems, I can't argue with that.

But what else are you gonna do? Screenshot LP of Persona 5 X or Dancing All Night? Just not let's play a Persona 5 game?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's always Persona Q (2).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's always Persona Q (2).

Those are (mediocre) Etrian Odyssey games and the characters cannot be anything but the most superficial caricatures of themselves because they take place in non-canon limbo so no character growth can happen, I think the mockery would grow stale by the end of the first stratum movie.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm about halfway through Q2 and the game never really stops doing the "Character turns to the audience and very loudly and pointedly states the writer's message multiple times just to make sure you get it" thing every floor. :shepface:

On the other hand, the characters feels slightly less like caricatures than they did in the first Q, though Chie still talks about meat, Akihiko still talks about protein, Teddie still talks about scoring, and Mona reminds you that he DEFINITELY isn't a cat a lot more often than I recall being a thing.

I can set Life Will Change/Mass Destruction/Time to Make History to be the battle theme, though, so I can live with that. :toot:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Even Q2 itself doesn't really like that it exists.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh yeah, I'm not actually defending Q2, its story is terrible (meanwhile Q1 actually had like... fun/good interactions and a dub). Best things I can say about it are that the soundtrack is good and it has P3's FeMC.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

By the way, if anyone here didn't play Strikers and wonders if it's worth it: yes, despite the whole musou gimmick. Not only no one feels out of character, but the ones most shafted by P5 (Ann, Yusuke, and Haru) also get more screen time. The last act is nothing to write home about, but everything until then is enjoyable.

And Arist doesn't lie about the game being too easy when it's not maddeningly hard. I had to repeat the first boss several dozen times, which almost made me quit the game. The rest of them, however, was a piece of cake because of how overpowered you get as long as the game lets you brew SP recovery items.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is Strikers the one with the guy who goes "Oh, so when you guys change hearts, it's a good thing. But when I do it, suddenly it's unethical?" I remember seeing a screenshot of that, but there's so many P5 things that I'm not sure which game that's tied to.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Strikers actually does have one acknowledgement of Royal, there's a dialogue that only works because Royal happened, more or less. It is however, basically right at the end of the game. But it does reference Royal exclusive content, vaguely.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 119: 9/2: Demonic Gachapon (New, technically)

This update covers content from Part 96 of the original LP.

Anon: congrats, ur world famous!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Oh yes. Thank you for the coffee last time. It’s a lovely café. I haven’t relaxed that much in a while.

You sure about that? Because you kinda freaked out on us there.

That’s nice of you to say.

Anyhow, it seems your school’s in trouble. The media is reporting that the whole school was involved in the cover-up about that gym teacher.

This is unforgivable, no matter the reason.

You’re certainly not going to do anything about that, though!

…Let me know if you need anything. I’ll do my best so that the case is wrapped up quickly.

You sure are observant, Observant Woman.

(Gossipy Woman) I read an article about Shujin in a magazine… “High School Horrors: A School-wide Cover-up” Seems the administration turned a blind eye to that abusive teacher. It’s all so hard to believe…
(Observant Woman) The principal claimed he didn’t know what was going on, at first. We’re talking about children’s lives—people like him are the ones who should answer for this.
I don’t like the way they’re looking at us…

Music: Break it Down

You insult me. I am immune to advertising.
No one’s tryin’ to sell you anything… I’m talkin’ about the media coming to Shujin again!

“Cover-up by faculty and principal of Shujin Academy, where the Phantom Thieves first appeared.” It’s been a huge deal already. I wonder what’s gonna happen to the principal now. Anyways, we made the right choice goin’ after big targets! Everywhere I go, people’re talkin’ about us!

Blocked! Awkward!

Forehead! I mean, whoa!

I’m sorry!
Oh no, I’m fine.

That girl just now… Don’t you think she was fine?

In another life, perhaps I’d take that shot.

The Phantom Thieves are on fire right now, so I wonder if I got a chance if I asked her out?

On the other hand, I see no possible reality where that works out for you.
Aww… It sucks that I can’t just say I’m actually a phantom thief.
When has that ever stopped you before?

Music: Wicked Plan

If you want the truth, nobody at this school likes me enough to cut me in on any of their bullshit. I guess that worked out in my favor this time. I’d tell you not to say anything irresponsible to the media, but I don’t actually care, this place deserves it.

(to self) Seriously, why does this keep happening? All my relatives are gonna call me again…

Oh hey, Niijima-san, I need to talk to you.

Due to the media and the police coming back to the school, some of the teachers are going to have to stay behind to manage the situation.
Yes, I’m aware.
Yeah, well, we don’t have enough chaperones for the trip now, so… congratulations, you’re coming too!
Huh!?
We just need a few third-years to come along as proxies. Now, I know you’re busy with entrance exams, and a lot of the second-years you’d be looking after are a bit unique—oh wait, you hang out with most of them, don’t you? Never mind. It’ll be fiiiiiiine. Don’t worry about it!

…If that’s the case, very well.
Really? Oh thank goodness! I’ll go ahead and pass this news on then.

How convenient.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

(Male Student) I heard the school was in on it and tried to hide it…
(Female Student) Were the teachers involved in the scandal too?
I had nothing to do with it! Do you really think I have that much power?

Starting today, we’ll have Dr. Maruki on call. We went to the trouble of getting him, so don’t be afraid to ask!
Yikes… The new semester’s barely started and things are already getting crazy…

The purpose of that added scene was mainly just to remind us that Maruki’s available to chat again. That was also the only new scene this update. Oops!

Morning → Afternoon

Perhaps it’s due to the negative comments he made about us.

Don’t! Anyway, Makoto, you get the data yet?
My sister has been busy. She didn’t come home at all last night. I’ll get the data as soon as I can. Just try not to stand out in the meantime. The school is on edge due to the tabloid article.

You don’t gotta tell me twice!

You! Pay attention! Is that how you listen when someone’s talking to you!?
I feel a murderous intent…!

Oh, he’s throwing the chalk again… Maybe I shouldn’t dodge this time. I feel like I’m already about as charming as possible.

I mean, how many times do I have to teach this old man this lesson, right? He’s clearly not gonna get it. And Makoto *did* just tell me to lay low… I don’t really want Ushimaru’s ire today anyway… Fine. I won’t dodge it.

gently caress! I did it by reflex! I’m too cool for my own good!

(Student Behind Maaku) Ow!
Sorry about that, man.

(Male Student) I can’t believe he dodged Ushimaru’s throw… Is he a ninja?
Tch… Well, whatever. Moving on.
Ooh, you’ve got the entire class’s attention! Your Charm has definitely increased.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Afternoon → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

You remember our deal? How I was supposed to help you with physical training?

Huh? Oh, right! The second-years’ trip is next week too. Now that’s a coincidence! We’re both going overseas at the same time, huh? Okay, then training’s on hiatus until we both get home! Enjoy your trip! You have to tell me all about it later!

I’m surprised that they’ve gotten so famous. Nobody even believed they were real at first.
(Energetic Student) I’m embarrassed that I used to be a fan of Akechi-kun… Now it’s all about the Phantom Thieves. I’ll cheer them on as much as I can!

That’s the spirit!

I’ve been seeing it everywhere I go lately. I really wanna buy some P-Thieves merchandise!
Just looking at that glorious logo makes me feel a little braver. Those guys are seriously awesome!
Man, this is crazy cool. I’m gonna take a picture!
Hamiru drew it, right? It’s like, the best drawing I’ve ever seen.
I can feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins! Nice going, Hamiru!
Our fame is going through the roof! Where’s it gonna stop?

Was that incident with Mr. Kamoshida just the beginning?
(Foodie Girl) A stand in Shibuya Station was selling Phantom Wafers. It was already close to selling out. I guess that’s just how popular the Phantom Thieves are…
Phantom Wafers!? I wonder if I can buy one on the way home…

I think I’ll interview you too, Hamiru-kun. What’re your thoughts on the article?

I totally get you! The teachers can’t be trusted. I wish they’d be more honest with us. Of course, I’ll continue my coverage for the newspaper club.

I wish that were the case… There’s already an uproar about it online, including the Phantom Thieves case.

It’s pretty tough to ignore it, though, since the mass media might close in on our school again. I hear one student actually got interviewed. Attracting this sort of attention is embarrassing…

Heh, is that student Mishima? Guess that’s our fault, then.

No one cares about our tournament coming up!
(Intense Soccer Player) Is now the time to worry about that? We have to do our part as captains if we really want to win.
Whyyy did I come to Shujin? It’s been nothing but drama from the first day…

Nobody knows who I really am, though. Heh… If they only knew.

O-Of course, I beat them at their own game. With the internet, hacking skills, and computers! They were powerless once I started typing at breakneck speeds of 100 words per hour! Muahahaha!

…Hm? I haven’t gotten around to studying. I’m far too busy on the phantom thief sites… Besides, studying isn’t that important. Not when compared to protecting the world’s peace!

I heard you chased away some reporters who snuck into campus. Good for you, Sensei!
(Kind Faculty Member) I’m part of the school staff, after all. We can’t allow any harm to come to our students.
The other teachers have been kind of useless since the Kamoshida thing, so I’m really impressed!

(Female Volleyball Player) Just when I thought it was all over. I wish I never came to Shujin Academy…
Let’s ask the Phantom Thieves for help. I’m sure they can take down the principal for us.

Careful what you wish for, ladies.

(Gentle Male Student) But if that happens, that’d be a real problem for us. What about our futures after high school?
(Refined Male Student) Although in a different era, there have been middle school graduates who became prime ministers. Diligence can overcome any shortcoming. Effort is what’s most important to rise to the top.

(Tired-Looking Student) Now that you mention it, yeah, I remember. This year, we’re going to Hawaii, right?

“Be cautious on your school trip. Start preparing early. Act responsibly and sensibly.”

(Energetic First-Year) Well, at least we’ve still got the Phantom Thieves. They’re so in right now!
(Motivated First-Year) Yeah, there’s SO much merch for them. Maybe I should buy some.

Maaku, what’s going on with your arm, man!? Good lord!

Thank you for returning Speed Reader. Would you care to borrow another book? …These are all the books you can check out right now.

…This one, yes? Okay, be careful with it.

Maaku, don’t sprint in the library. Also, random student, there’s more important things than exams.

We’ve finally unlocked Ahihabara, so let’s go eavesdrop.

Gah! Please don’t complain to the café! That doesn’t count! Aw, man, I got mistaken for a mugger the other day, too. What the hell am I doing wrong? *sigh* This job is impossible. Why the hell do I even do it?

Huh? Who cares!? Otaku will come to the café, even if we don’t advertise it, y’know? Still, I can’t go home till I get rid of all these flyers. Why do I deal with this crap? *sigh* This job is impossible. Why the hell do I even do it?

Huh? No way in hell! I’d never call anybody that. *sigh* This job is impossible. Why the hell do I even do it?

(Plump Man) You mean the stuff on the Phantom Thieves, right? They jump on the bandwagon now and call it news?
The stuff they’re reporting is so old. They’re months behind us. TV really is poo poo.
True, but the people watching it and causing a ruckus are poo poo too.

(Busy-Looking Young Man) Stocks. I put all our savings into stocks to get our money to JUMP UUUP!
We saved that money together! You can’t just do things like that on your own!
Don’t worry! I invested in Okumura Foods. They’re expanding overseas, so their stock price is rising up!

I legitimately hate this idiot. This poor woman.

(Taxi Driver) Haha, most out-of-towners say that. Been here my whole life, and even I think it’s strange.
Next I want to meet… How do you say… The Phantom Thieves?
Dunno if I can swing that. What’s the deal with those guys, anyhow?

Back over by the entrance to Electric Town, we find the frustrated gachapon player.

A capsule vending machine? Oh, so you can get these guys with 500 yen… Why don’t you try testing out your luck?

Sure, why not?

*sigh* I just don’t get it. Why do people want these? We’re in Akihabara, right? Maybe we can find someone here that may want these capsule toys.

We can still trade our prizes to the man for rewards, including a Model Gun for the Mothman toy he wants, so we’ll hang around here until we get at least one.

In order, we receive:

Decked Decarabia (uncommon) (this is the one we already got)
Mini Dominion (common)
Kinky Kin-Ki (rare)
Mini Dominion (common)
Mini Dominion (common)
Die-soujou (common)
Gear Girimehkala (uncommon)
Die-soujou (common)
Mini Dominion (common)
Die-soujou (common)
Kinky Kin-Ki (rare)
Decked Decarabia (uncommon)
Mossy Mothman (super rare)

This capsule says it’s super rare! Y-You’re amazing!

That’s fifteen pulls for one Mothman. That’s actually more than it took us in the old LP, which was 13 attempts.

What am I so mad about? I can’t get the guy I want in this capsule toy vending machine… I want the figurine for “Mothman”, but he hasn’t been showing up… Tell me if you ever get one. I’ll trade you a figurine I have for it.

Th-That’s the Mothman figurine! Wow! His fur looks like it’s real!

Why, that’s not a figurine at all!

Thank you, thank you so much! This is so awesome! It’s so fluffy…! Ah, sorry about that. Here’s your Model Gun, just like I promised. If you ever get another Mothman again, please bring it to me!

We can also get other rewards for the other figurines. In order, this is Kinky Kin-Ki:

Gear Girimehkala:

Decked Decarabia:

And Die-soujou:

There’s also a reward for Mini Dominion, but I didn’t bother getting it. It’s a single soda that restores 20 HP outside of battle.

Anyway, I know we’ve got plenty more people to eavesdrop on today and also plenty more space in this update, but I’d prefer to break this one up a bit. We’ll finish the rest of it next time so I can get this one out in a reasonable amount of time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 22, 2023

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Targeting the principal would have made a lot of sense for the Phantom Thieves to do, given the whole Kamoshida and even Kaneshiro arcs. Shame they (and the writers) overlooked that.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MightyPretenders posted:

Targeting the principal would have made a lot of sense for the Phantom Thieves to do, given the whole Kamoshida and even Kaneshiro arcs. Shame they (and the writers) overlooked that.

Remember the one thing they need to do anything to someone, whether in mementos or a palace: a name. The principal preemptively outsmarted the phantom thieves by not having one!

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I want to say someone in-game wonders if the thieves did in the principal after Okumura dies? It would be a great thing for the writers to put in on some side conversation, I guess we'll see it if it's actually in there or not.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Qrr posted:

Remember the one thing they need to do anything to someone, whether in mementos or a palace: a name. The principal preemptively outsmarted the phantom thieves by not having one!

The fact the SIU director and principal don't go by their names could be a reasonable commentary on the way that some people lean into their jobs, especially those that give them positions of authority, in ways that cause their personal identity to be minimized or hidden...

But considering how useless those two characters are it's also entirely possible that the writers just didn't think it mattered.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

In another life, perhaps I’d take that shot.

LP references are tight!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rawkking posted:

I want to say someone in-game wonders if the thieves did in the principal after Okumura dies? It would be a great thing for the writers to put in on some side conversation, I guess we'll see it if it's actually in there or not.

They almost definitely do, since between the principal and Okumura there's a new "pattern" to the phantom thieves strikes people pick up on (because it's one of the parts of the villains plan that kind of makes sense, scapegoating their own actions in the metaverse on the other metaverse users).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The conspiracy literally plants a calling card in the principal's office, iirc

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They do. I think people only forget about it because it isn't brought up again when the entire Conspiracy gets explained in excruciating detail, because I guess even the writers thought that one was too obvious to address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, who cares about the principal, he only goes above SIU director because he got a cutscene death.