Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tricky Ed posted:

Or... OR... What if we stop feeding a cycle of anxiety with baseless speculation and just see what actually happens and react to that?

I didn't talk myself into believing that a 90% shot chance actually means it's a guaranteed miss by not spiraling into anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I bought Midnight Suns this weekend and am enjoying it thus far. Trying to still figure out how to use half the characters.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Wrr posted:

I bought Midnight Suns this weekend and am enjoying it thus far. Trying to still figure out how to use half the characters.

Don’t fret. Spoilers: seriously literally the final mission spoiler right here only click if you don’t care have a solid B team at least. Gimmick at the end is your 4 top guys get hijacked for the final mission

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Ravenfood posted:

I didn't talk myself into believing that a 90% shot chance actually means it's a guaranteed miss by not spiraling into anxiety.

More seriously, this talk of a new era at firaxis, the departure of a fair number of big names (and who knows how many of the smaller ones), especially the studio head, right after a pretty bad commercial failure and strategically announcing a new civ* at exact the time after two big departures?

It smells like things went down over there.

But again, still, the real redline is if Nauta is out.

* we already could have guessed such a thing was happening, but the timing is wierd.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

StratGoatCom posted:

More seriously, this talk of a new era at firaxis, the departure of a fair number of big names (and who knows how many of the smaller ones), especially the studio head, right after a pretty bad commercial failure and strategically announcing a new civ* at exact the time after two big departures?

It smells like things went down over there.

But again, still, the real redline is if Nauta is out.

* we already could have guessed such a thing was happening, but the timing is wierd.

i tried to ask Jake if there's any hints on what he's ostensibly running to on twitter but he didn't respond

also hi i'm back

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Coolguye posted:

i tried to ask Jake if there's any hints on what he's ostensibly running to on twitter but he didn't respond

i made a joke about him going to run a farm in MN to relive his youth and he liked it, so i assume that's confirmation of his new life growing soybeans

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

missed opportunities could be growing wild rice, MN wild rice is to die for

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Anno posted:

Xenonauts 2 has a demo in next week’s Steam Next Fest, I think.

Theres some youtube out of people playing it (splattercat, potatomcwhiskey). It certainly looks like XCOM '93 with a new coat of paint and a lot of the Xenonauts jank toned down.

It was totally off my radar but at the moment I'm feeling pretty positive about it: https://store.steampowered.com/app/538030/Xenonauts_2/

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I legitimately thought Xeno2 had gotten cancelled at some point as it's, what, 2 6 years late? Good they're finally finishing it at least.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Murgos posted:

XCOM '93 with a new coat of paint

Sounds good to me.

None of the later games have had the same level of replayability for me, only EW with Long War comes close.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, got some xcom2 mod questions:

I just fired up the game for the first time in a year and added the Long War of the Chosen mod, is the difficulty super hard by default or do I need to go through my mod list and figure out what I hosed up, because in the intro mission I'm showing 0% to hit even when I'm flanking and out in the open.

Tabbing to any of those targets gives me 0%, but that stat block on the left shows I have a 65 base + 15 for weapon range. Not sure how the graze percentage plays into things, from the few rounds I've played I know that a graze is damage on a miss.

Alternatively, is there a mod I should be using here that will show the correct hit percentage?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Probably double-check your mods, not sure if you grabbed it off github or off the workshop but it requires these mods:

REQUIRED ITEMS
This item requires all of the following other items
Better Second Wave Mod Support
WotC: robojumper's Squad Select
Yet Another F1
[WOTC] Community Promotion Screen
[WotC] Mod Config Menu
[WOTC] Revert Overwatch Rules Change
X2WOTCCommunityHighlander v1.24.0
[WOTC] Accurate Situation Report

I think you also need the Alien Hunters Highlander as well if you have that enabled.

For reference, this is what I have installed off the Steam Workshop and it works correctly last time I checked.

WotC: robojumper's Squad Select
[WOTC] Alien Hunters Community Highlander v1.24.0
[WOTC] Community Promotion Screen
[WOTC] Accurate Situation Report
Long War of the Chosen
Evac All - WotC
[WOTC] Revert Overwatch Rules Change
X2WOTCCommunityHighlander v1.24.0
Full Character Customization From Start
[WotC] Mod Config Menu
Yet Another F1
Better Second Wave Mod Support

Also highly suggest using Alternative Mod Launcher if you aren't already but the 2K loader supposedly works as well?

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Grabbed everything off of the Workshop and using the mod launcher.

Full Character Customization From Start
[WotC] Mod Config Menu

Aren't downloaded so I'm going to grab them and see what's up

Edit: Still showing 0, but I'm pretty sure the stats on the left are correct because I hit a lot more than 0%

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 13, 2023

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You definitely don't need the former (although xcom customization is half the fun) but IIRC the latter is needed for some of the targeting screens or something?

a cursory google search also turns up this (although idk what's the corresponding matching mod to extended information now)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/jrvme4/lwotc_0_chance_to_hit/

Maybe poke around in the mod config setup after it's been added.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Thats a pretty common issue between LWOTC and one of the UI mods that expands and shows hit chance because its all reworked in LWOTC. Can't remember which one but its solved by fiddling with a few settings

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
from what i've heard about long war, hitting 0% is probably a feature :v:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep that post fixed it, it was the aim assist option being active on extended information. Thanks yall

Light Gun Man posted:

from what i've heard about long war, hitting 0% is probably a feature :v:

But this was literally why I asked, I knew this would make the game harder, I just wasn't sure how much. I am not a pro xcom guy, I just like making facebook posts tagging my friends with who died.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
yeah i'm just messing around, have a good time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Soonmot posted:

But this was literally why I asked, I knew this would make the game harder, I just wasn't sure how much. I am not a pro xcom guy, I just like making facebook posts tagging my friends with who died.

LWOTC does make things harder, but it's not about making them impossible at least. The general consensus is that if you drop the difficulty level you normally play by 1, and have a basic familiarity with the new mechanics (ie maybe watched a video or this is your second run after ditching a trial campaign) you'll probably have a similar level of struggle.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You're using the alternative launcher right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is Long War in 2 basically still terrible?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
It depends on your definition of terrible. If you're a masochist like me who loves a grindy time sink, it's great. The campaign is long enough that the choices as to which missions you take actually feel like they effect the campaign in a meaningful way. It's also possible to screw up and get into a no-win death spiral with dozens of hours invested.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Arven posted:

It depends on your definition of terrible. If you're a masochist like me who loves a grindy time sink, it's great. The campaign is long enough that the choices as to which missions you take actually feel like they effect the campaign in a meaningful way. It's also possible to screw up and get into a no-win death spiral with dozens of hours invested.

This, really. Oddly enough, the game Long War 2/Long War of the Chosen reminds me of the most is X-Piratez, which gets a fair amount of discussion here but is a game I think the majority of players are best off avoiding.

If LW2/LWOTC is for you, you'll love it, if not then... well, I love it too but I also understand the reason this thread likes to mock it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

to rehash the conversation regarding x-piratez in brief for those that aren't familiar, the short version is: mechanically it's pretty cool but there's not really a win condition the way other xcom games have and the art is 110% someone working through a very deep and unresolved fetish

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Coolguye posted:

to rehash the conversation regarding x-piratez in brief for those that aren't familiar, the short version is: mechanically it's pretty cool but there's not really a win condition the way other xcom games have and the art is 110% someone working through a very deep and unresolved fetish

Oh, piratez has a win condition, you still have to go do Cydonia at the end, and in fact they have three ways to get there.

You can just say "gently caress IT IM DONE" and make the Zubrin, which sends eight people to Cydonia, some of which may die before acting.

You can take your time, grind for like a year in game to build the Conqueror, which will let you send 32 people + tanks to Cydonia.

Or there's a secret path where you go and drive a delorean to Cydonia, but it requires a lot of grinding a particular kind of mission as well as several other decisions made before hand, including skipping the codex vessels.

Cydonia's not too far from Vanilla except the surface area is replaced with the Mercenaries, which are probably the second most deadly enemy faction in the game, and then part 2 is Star Gods.

Honestly though, like Long War of the Chosen, or X-com files, you will long be tired of the game by the time you get to this point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Speaking of piratez I have discovered a powerful speedrun strat for the X-Prison. Just use the pickaxe you're supposed to use to escape your cells to kill anyone you punch out on the ground, since it can target them there. The enemies will panic and surrender before you're done with the second floor.

Also use the axe to just break through walls. Pickaxe! MVP of that mission.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

Speaking of piratez I have discovered a powerful speedrun strat for the X-Prison. Just use the pickaxe you're supposed to use to escape your cells to kill anyone you punch out on the ground, since it can target them there. The enemies will panic and surrender before you're done with the second floor.

Oh poo poo i have to do that, i was thinking it would be a pain in the rear end to finish that mission with the glocks and pocket pistols as the only lethal weapons and would just run off with the file, it's a huge boon if you do finish the mission by killing everyone.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Night10194 posted:

for a minute here i thought i had clicked on the Cataclysm thread and we were discussing how to reliably get out of the prison start and i was extremely confused

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-designer-jake-solomon-is-done-with-turn-based-strategy-for-now-i-felt-like-i-didnt-have-anything-more-to-say/

quote:

Jake Solomon is a name synonymous with turn-based strategy. As a graphics programmer at Firaxis, it was Solomon who first pitched XCOM, which years later, when it launched in 2012, sparked a renaissance in squad-based tactics. Last month, following news that the superb Midnight Suns had not been the hit publisher 2K was hoping for, Solomon announced he was leaving the company (opens in new tab) where he'd worked for over two decades.

Speaking to Simon Parkin on the My Perfect Console podcast (opens in new tab), Solomon explained what had inspired such a big change, and what he's planning now that he's a free agent.

One of the first games Solomon remembers playing was Silent Service, a submarine sim that pre-dates the era when Sid Meier's name was plastered all over his games. So when he decided to break into the industry, Firaxis ended up being the only studio he interviewed at. Meier, then, has had a big impact on his career.

"I came up under [Meier] and he taught me everything," Solomon said. "Everything that I know as a designer, I modelled on him." That made leaving tough. "It was the hardest for me, to tell Sid."

While Midnight Suns did not make the kind of splash XCOM did, it was still a critical success, as well as PC Gamer's GOTY runner-up (opens in new tab). And XCOM, of course, remains utterly beloved. But it was time to move on. "Go out on top," he said. "That's what everybody's told me."

The decision to leave came about directly after the release of Midnight Suns, as Solomon was thinking about his next project. "OK, I'm going to make another turn-based strategy game, and am I excited about that? And I found that I wasn't that excited about doing another turn-based strategy game just because—not because the genre isn't amazing, that's where I've spent my life—but I felt like I didn't have anything more to say in that area."

TLDR: Jake Solomon leaving didn't have anything to do with bad sales, he just needed a fresh start. :ms:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want to give XCOM 2 another shot but I really cannot be bothered to fiddle around with the mods again.

Is there a good mod collection I can use that fixes the game's bullshit and adds UI QoL without adding too much extra poo poo?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What kind of bullshit are we talking about? iirc the 'must have' mod list was only like four or five long and installed with a click from workshop.

edit: Steam remembers my subscribed mods:
-Stop Wasting my Time [wotc]
-Gotcha // Gotcha Again [wotc]
-Instant Avenger Menus
-Evac All
-Idle Supression

The last is me just being silly, the first two are the 'must haves' iirc.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 15, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Don’t Waste My Time and Evac All are the 2 big ones I remember.

KNR
May 3, 2009
I'd add in Show Health Values (or Additional Icons, but that one includes a loot indicator by default).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yeah, gotcha again, numeric health, and stop wasting my time are incredibly key, instant avenger menus and evac all are super nice too

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is one that I don't remember the name for that puts a statline above your soldiers, so you can see who your 100 aim gods are, and who the 65 aim chumps are.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Search for the Core Collection on Steam, that should be a collection of bugfixes and core mods that don't alter gameplay but do have some QoL stuff, IIRC

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I put the "Advanced Repeater" on a sniper rifle and this lady one shot the Berserker King, a regular Berserker, and one of those tall ugly dudes all in one mission :psyduck:

Makes up for all those whiffed 80%+ shots i guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Reminds me of when the game came out and a dude found a bunch of repeaters and just made a montages of all the everything getting !excecuted

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I put the "Advanced Repeater" on a sniper rifle and this lady one shot the Berserker King, a regular Berserker, and one of those tall ugly dudes all in one mission :psyduck:

Yeah, getting up to a possible 20% chance of instant kill per shot gets absurdly overpowered. It's a nice victory lap weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Now put it on a Reaper with Banish and give her an extended mag :sickos: