Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Network Manager by Sortbyte worked. I downloaded Vermintide 2 (80ish Gb) and once configured the load balancing worked great. Much better response than Speedify’s virtual Channel Bonding. Both the connections run with bandwidth monitoring showing the LTE connection contributing when downloading a big file and my dad watching Paramount+ on his phone while Mom does whatever you do on Facebook these days. Thanks again, outdated OP thread!

Now to see if I can get it configured today to work well with NordVPN running. :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone explain to me in simple terms what all these new(?) DNS related things are? I know(/think?) DNS is basically "service that translates a url into an ip number because that's how the internet works" but in my NextDNS config that I use for adblocking there's now all sorts of poo poo like DoT, DoQ, DoH, DNSSEC, and all those capital letters are acronyms themselves I swear people are just mashing their keyboards. I tried reading about them but their explanations involve 10 more acronyms and I don't have time to open up 10000 wikipedia tabs.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
DoH encrypts the traffic between you and NextDNS, if you don't want your ISP to see what hostnames you're looking up. The rest you don't need to worry about.

You will need to configure DoH on your side as well. You can configure explicit DoH in apps like Firefox or set up a DNS proxy on your router if it supports it, so you point the regular DNS settings on all your devices at the proxy and it'll forward lookups to NextDNS over DoH.

Edit: normally you would set things so that the router is automatically set up as your DNS proxy through DHCP, but if you configured your devices to use NextDNS servers directly you would need to go back and change them all to use the default automatic DNS settings after setting up your router to forward lookups to NextDNS over DoH.

Grey Area fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 16, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Grey Area posted:

DoH encrypts the traffic between you and NextDNS, if you don't want your ISP to see what hostnames you're looking up. The rest you don't need to worry about.

You will need to configure DoH on your side as well. You can configure explicit DoH in apps like Firefox or set up a DNS proxy on your router if it supports it, so you point the regular DNS settings on all your devices at the proxy and it'll forward lookups to NextDNS over DoH.

OK thanks. I guess what I was really asking was "which of these DNS-over-blkkfhasa things should I use and why should I use that one over DNS-over-dslkfgs".

For setup I just changed the dns servers on my router to use the nextdns ones as a catch-all and on my devices (iOS mainly) I just use their app because it comes with a nice on/off switch for the very rare occasions something breaks because of the adblocking lists I use.

In my analytics it says 100% of my queries are encrypted but only 2% are validated with DNSSEC whatever that means.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 16, 2023

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
DoHttps, DoTls, DoQuic all tunnel DNS through encrypted communications protocols. DoHttps is the most commonly used and most likely to be supported.

Dnssec is a way to cryptographically sign DNS records so they can't be altered by third parties like your ISP. It's a hassle to set up dnssec so most domains don't have it, only 2% for you apparently. There's nothing you can do about it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Grey Area posted:

Dnssec is a way to cryptographically sign DNS records so they can't be altered by third parties like your ISP. It's a hassle to set up dnssec so most domains don't have it, only 2% for you apparently. There's nothing you can do about it.

Oh so that one is something the website admin needs to install, like https?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I am a complete layman when it comes to home networking. My current setup works ok, but I'm aware that it is woefully outdated and I've ran out of physical Ethernet ports on my router and would like to get an upgrade going.

My current setup (don't laugh, it was all put together circa 2012ish). House is 2 floors, ~1500 ft2.

Upstairs office - Apple Airport Extreme (the mac-mini looking footprint), Ethernet to ISP Cable Modem, home Windows 10 PC, QNAP NAS, and Netgear Powerline Adapter (Ethernet over Powerline)

Downstairs media cabinet - other end of the Powerline Adapter to a cheap unmanaged Monoprice 8 port switch, which then distributes to my clients.

Also downstairs is another (you guessed it!) old Apple Airport Express in bridge mode to better distribute the Wifi around the house.

I moved my PS5 upstairs to my office and it's hanging out as a WiFi client, which is what's prompting me to take a look at upgrading.

My friends recommend the Ubiquiti Unifi system, do folks have an opinion on the Dream Router? I was thinking one of those, and a Unifi WiFi6 extender, would be a like-for-like upgrade over my current setup.

I'm also a weirdo and like the look of my Airport Extreme, so the Unifi Dream Machines would also look nice on my desk.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I moved away from airport extreme stuff to ubiquiti a few years ago it’s been great. I don’t have any experience with the dream router specifically but I’d imagine it will be fine.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

e.pilot posted:

I moved away from airport extreme stuff to ubiquiti a few years ago it’s been great. I don’t have any experience with the dream router specifically but I’d imagine it will be fine.

Thanks! The Dream Machine was what I was originally looking at, but you can’t find them officially anymore at MSRP. Amazon 3rd party sellers has them marked up by $100. The Dream Router does WiFi 6 while the OG Dream Machine looks like it has more processor power and flexibility?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Boris Galerkin posted:

In my analytics it says 100% of my queries are encrypted but only 2% are validated with DNSSEC whatever that means.

DNSSEC doesn’t solve a real problem IMO. It’s far more likely to cause downtime than it is to stop an attack that would have been stopped by https/TLS anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not sure what router to buy, the one I have is sometimes unreliable, having to reboot it periodically when the wifi suddenly stops working even though it's active.

it's a Linksys Max Stream Dual Band AC1900

I don't mind too much fiddling with settings, I like to set up my network with custom IP, and this can do that, but if you don't have internet when setting it up it complains.

I just got fiber and it seems like it's struggling to handle the 500mbps up and down, and I was considering upgrading to gigabit in the future. The fiber guy said it probably was due to the router and wanted to sell me theirs but I passed on it, figuring I'd get something for me.

What would be a good upgrade that isn't like some of these GAMER routers with 20 antennas, because I don't really need that, I live in a studio

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

e.pilot posted:

yeah that’s super trivial with a pf/opn sense box

If anyone has suggestions for a modestly powered lil NUC or whatever to do this with, I'm all ears. I had hoped I might be able to leverage my M2 mini for this, but AFAICT I'd be compiling it myself. Might as well wait for full asahi support. https://www.murusfirewall.com/ looks interesting but I'm not fully convinced the M2 is unproblematic enough to be the kind of reliable I'm expecting. It's just a basemodel. Most of my performance complaints vanished when I plugged in an external NMVE and moved the swap to it. The type of things that would cause it to fall over previously now run without issue (tasks that use far more than 8gb of ram). The other problem I had discovered but did not look into further, was that many of the USB 1-2.5-10 gbe adapters do not properly support the protocols required to facilitate vlan and whatever else you'd expect a router to handle.

Just snagged a Netgear GS110MX (unmanaged switch, 8x1GbE and 2x10GbE) so I could have 10G between my workstation and the mac (shuffling lots of 300gb language models around and it's been a huge upgrade).

I currently only have 1GbE down, but they may be able to run me a second drop so I can have two. Funnily enough it's up to the building and not the provider. There are 42 customers in this building. Would anyone like to take bets on whether it's just one overprovisioned 40Gb fiber link or they actually ran two? I also have 6gbps DOCSIS available, but their fastest modem only appears to offer 5.5gpbs total over 1x2.5 and 3x1 GbE ports. I make a point of contacting them every 3 months to let them know agging 4 ports to do that is loving stupid and to make a more performant modem. AFAIK there are no suitable third party solutions.

Bonus points if it has USB 3.2 ports, so I can plug my 4 bay enclosure into it and have it do NAS duties as well. I'm currently using a dream machine in front of the GS110MX . It's a nice little appliance, but I have the same hangups as anyone else who has been using UI for a long time.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody here have experience with buying soundproofed racks? I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a switch that I've had my eye on for a while, but my one worry seems to have borne out, which is that it's pretty loud. Unfortunately, I live in a condo, so I don't really have a place like a garage to put it where it won't be bothersome. My next best option (I think) is to buy/build a soundproofed rack to get the noise down. Even just 10-15dB of sound absorption would probably be enough.

Really, I'm wondering whether there are there good places to get these things used. The prices I'm seeing for new ones are pretty expensive, so if I can save some money by getting something used, that'd probably be the best way for me to go.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
How good are you with DIY and do you have a friend with either woodworking or metal fabrication skills and tools? A few inches of mineral wool batting on the other side of a cloth wrapping silences just about everything. It's a fairly involved DIY project if you want it to look good though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

M_Gargantua posted:

How good are you with DIY and do you have a friend with either woodworking or metal fabrication skills and tools? A few inches of mineral wool batting on the other side of a cloth wrapping silences just about everything. It's a fairly involved DIY project if you want it to look good though.

Is it $1000 worth of involved project? Because at that point, I'd just buy one of the Startech ones.

(Indeed, I have a price watch on these very drat things for the very same reason)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

M_Gargantua posted:

I did look at the DIY route (the concept is pretty straightforward), but soldering is about the extent of my skills, and I don't know anybody with anywhere near the set of tools I'd need to build one myself in either wood or metal. So, unfortunately, I don't think it'd work out super well for me.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is it $1000 worth of involved project? Because at that point, I'd just buy one of the Startech ones.

(Indeed, I have a price watch on these very drat things for the very same reason)

I was looking at those specifically for new ones since they seem to be some of the most reasonably-priced I've been able to find that will actually ship.

Edit: Not counting the Sysracks stuff which seems to have a weight limit of like 100 pounds.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 22, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You can make a soundproof rack for far far less than $1000. Assuming you have the tools already. Like many DIY projects the cost is in the labor and having the equipment.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kreeblah posted:

Does anybody here have experience with buying soundproofed racks? I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a switch that I've had my eye on for a while, but my one worry seems to have borne out, which is that it's pretty loud. Unfortunately, I live in a condo, so I don't really have a place like a garage to put it where it won't be bothersome. My next best option (I think) is to buy/build a soundproofed rack to get the noise down. Even just 10-15dB of sound absorption would probably be enough.

Really, I'm wondering whether there are there good places to get these things used. The prices I'm seeing for new ones are pretty expensive, so if I can save some money by getting something used, that'd probably be the best way for me to go.

Look into replacing the fans. I’ve seen several people modify loud switches with different fans to make them quieter.

Might not be feasible but it’s worth looking into.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

skipdogg posted:

Look into replacing the fans. I’ve seen several people modify loud switches with different fans to make them quieter.

Might not be feasible but it’s worth looking into.

Oh, yeah, I guess that could be an option. I'll have to see whether I can find some compatible quieter fans.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Is this switch for a home lab or something?
Paying a bunch of money for a sound proofing rack or even time to do a DIY project sounds like a lot for a switch for home use unless you got your hands on like a Cisco Nexus.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cyks posted:

Is this switch for a home lab or something?
Paying a bunch of money for a sound proofing rack or even time to do a DIY project sounds like a lot for a switch for home use unless you got your hands on like a Cisco Nexus.

It's a Ruckus ICX7650-48ZP. It's partly for a tiny homelab, but it'll also be nice to reduce the hodgepodge of 1G/10G/PoE hardware I have.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So I'm somewhat computer savvy but networking remains a giant mystery for me and as far as I'm concerned it's basically magic. I'm moving into my new place soon and want to get the setup right from the start.

Moving into a flat in Scotland which has your old style thick tenement walls, so I'm somewhat concerned that WiFi signal may not travel super well between rooms.

Current setup is a standard lovely Virgin router which will be getting replaced anyway since we're going with BT. We have WiFi extenders in our current place which I have my PC directly wired into and do the job fine, but I know it could be better.

Full fibre isn't available yet in the area but will be "soon".

BT offer an additional service at an extra £12 a month where they send out a couple of extra WiFi extenders if needed, and agree to send more if you don't get full coverage. This comes out to something like an extra £200+ over the two year contract which is clearly loving idiotic.

Will be using the setup for home working, gaming and VR and would ideally like to have fast reliable speeds throughout the house. Budget is less of an issue than quality.

This might not be enough information, I dunno - I don't think I have any other specific needs or weird edge cases for use, so really I just want some ideas/options on getting a sensible setup from the start.

Probably a really basic query but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Moving into a flat in Scotland which has your old style thick tenement walls, so I'm somewhat concerned that WiFi signal may not travel super well between rooms.

How big? I'm in a 2 bedroom tenement flat and with a single access point (a now old-ish Unifi AP-AC-Lite) placed centrally in the hall the whole flat gets decent coverage.

The Virgin router is in the living room where the cable comes in and wasn't a good spot for the WiFi so we turned that off and ran a cable to the hall.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

stupid unifi question

can i leave the channel optimization on but make it not consider certain channels? i'm looking at a nice middle of nowhere area with outdoor APs, so i should be able to let them kinda do their own thing EXCEPT the uplink is from a 5ghz fixed wireless so i need to make sure that specifically gets left alone but the entire rest of 5ghz spectrum should be fine

i can't find the setting if it's there

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

stupid unifi question

can i leave the channel optimization on but make it not consider certain channels? i'm looking at a nice middle of nowhere area with outdoor APs, so i should be able to let them kinda do their own thing EXCEPT the uplink is from a 5ghz fixed wireless so i need to make sure that specifically gets left alone but the entire rest of 5ghz spectrum should be fine

i can't find the setting if it's there

Yea it's possible, unfortunately I can't check at the moment because Remote Login is down and apparently I just can't login to my UDM Pro now lmao

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Yea it's possible, unfortunately I can't check at the moment because Remote Login is down and apparently I just can't login to my UDM Pro now lmao

lol naturally

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

lol naturally

Got back in but don't see the option now. Might be on the old UI only? I'm not convinced it does anything tbh, I've had it on a couple months and the channels have never changed over that period.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

IIRC, for unifi, they only channel scan on startup since they don't have a secondary radio. (or if you hit the scan button, but that shuts down normal usage for a minute). Maybe their higher end gear has the bonus radio for scanning though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

unknown posted:

IIRC, for unifi, they only channel scan on startup since they don't have a secondary radio. (or if you hit the scan button, but that shuts down normal usage for a minute). Maybe their higher end gear has the bonus radio for scanning though.
What the gently caress does this even mean.

I refuse to believe that you can't use multiple device nodes with different operating modes, so that one is a hostap and another is station and a third is monitor.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If the Unifi AP is set to "auto" channel, on boot it'll do a quick scan of the frequencies to determine which one is best/least used and use that from then on. But because there's only one radio, it can only do the scan (which involves cycling/changing the frequency to see every band) or normal data functions (frequency is locked) - not both.

In enterprise level APs, they have a secondary radio that constantly is checking all the frequencies/channels usage so it can determine which one is best and then reconfigures the data radio to use that one. Part of the reason why they cost more.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Every unifi AP has had at least a 2x2 if not a 3x3 on every band for years now, sine the 2nd gen. The enterprise ones have 4x4s

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah they also have an ability to scan on a set interval, I just wanted to let them do their thing and switch around aside from that one fixed wireless uplink band but honestly the whole thing is fine for the most part on 5ghz, it's just the 2.4ghz that sucks poo poo because 2.4ghz sucks poo poo in general

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

unknown posted:

Most UniFi APs only have one radio per band, so they have to stop operating as an access point to do a full channel scan. They can and do passively monitor traffic on whatever channel they're operating on at all times but anything that requires the radio to change channels will necessarily cause it to stop serving clients.

The top end of the AC line UAP-AC-SHD and the big directional stadium model UWB-XG both have dedicated "security radios" that seem to basically be just a constantly scanning monitor for rogue APs and interference.

The UAP-XG has two 5GHz radios so it should be able to run a 5GHz scan without interrupting both channels, but if it will still interrupt any clients that were using whatever radio gets tasked to scan. AFAIK at least some of the mesh models have a dedicated radio for uplink, but obviously in a normal deployment that'll be in use any time the device is active. I don't know whether the mesh uplink radio can be used for scanning in cases where the AP has a wired uplink.

edit: It looks like current UAP Mesh products DO NOT have a dedicated uplink radio. Maybe I was thinking of the older UAP-Outdoor line, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

M_Gargantua posted:

Every unifi AP has had at least a 2x2 if not a 3x3 on every band for years now, sine the 2nd gen. The enterprise ones have 4x4s
MIMO does not mean the radio can operate on multiple channels, just that it can transmit/recieve multiple streams on the same channel at the same time using multiple antennas and a lot of witchcraft. MU-MIMO extends this to allow multiple clients to split those streams but they're still on the same channel.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 27, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

M_Gargantua posted:

This is MIMO streams/antennas on a single radio. Real enterprise APs have multiple radios to scan and transmit at the same time.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
So you're saying every night when my unifi setup of 4x APs does it's nightly channel optimization it's temporarily disconnecting clients to do it? I've never, ever seen that behavior before.

Edit: even their docs say it doesn't (Source)

I'm really curious where you are getting this info from.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 28, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That might not be the same thing if it's not scanning. Daily makes me think it could use channel utilization averages, number of BSSIDs beaconing on the current frequency, plus nearest neighbor to do some guesses on best channels. Even if it just does that, the channel hop might disrupt.

But yes, scanning requires that you stop serving clients on that radio.

Sniep posted:

I'm really curious where you are getting this info from.

Not to be too snide but like... every other vendor on earth now has dedicated radios for this.

https://blogs.cisco.com/networking/cisco-rf-asic-named-best-enterprise-wi-fi-network-technology-by-the-wireless-broadband-alliance or if you have single-radio APs, https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-knowledge-base/how-to-configure-an-ap-in-scanning-only-mode/ta-p/3108469

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos-space-apps/network-director4.0/topics/concept/wireless-scanning.html

https://www.mist.com/documentation/scan-unauthorized-aps/

https://wifihelp.arista.com/post/scanning

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Monitoring_and_Reporting/RF_Spectrum_Page_Overview

https://www.multicap.be/upload/dedicated-scanning-c130-C110-whitepaper.pdf

KS fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 28, 2023

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Ok I see what you mean, I guess it's just so transparent i never noticed.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

So I'm somewhat computer savvy but networking remains a giant mystery for me and as far as I'm concerned it's basically magic. I'm moving into my new place soon and want to get the setup right from the start.

Current setup is a standard lovely Virgin router which will be getting replaced anyway since we're going with BT. We have WiFi extenders in our current place which I have my PC directly wired into and do the job fine, but I know it could be better.

Full fibre isn't available yet in the area but will be "soon".

BT offer an additional service at an extra £12 a month where they send out a couple of extra WiFi extenders if needed, and agree to send more if you don't get full coverage. This comes out to something like an extra £200+ over the two year contract which is clearly loving idiotic.

Will be using the setup for home working, gaming and VR and would ideally like to have fast reliable speeds throughout the house. Budget is less of an issue than quality.

This might not be enough information, I dunno - I don't think I have any other specific needs or weird edge cases for use, so really I just want some ideas/options on getting a sensible setup from the start.

Probably a really basic query but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Scottish resident here. I've not got Glasgow specific experience but I do have experience of Aberdeen and it's granite buildings as well as some chunky as gently caress Fife cottages. Sometimes, depending on the layout, you can get lucky and a centrally place isp router will give decent coverage. It's down to luck though. My last place in Fife was quite close to the tenement style you mention and when I had the router in the hallway and every room had decent coverage.
The current BT supplied unit is actually decent, relatively speaking. So you might get lucky.
gently caress them with that 12 quid a month thing though yeah.

For friends who can't get coverage though, we've usually went with powerline adapters, and they've been fine.
You mention VR, and that ideally wants to be connected to ethernet so you'd need adapters that also have an ethernet jack. Gaming too.

It's a few years since I've looked at the market though so someone else can maybe advise on the current stuff available.
Also, mesh ap's repeaters etc might work, but I'll leave that to someone else.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My ethernet dropped from a gig to 100. I've restarted router, computer and unplugged all the cable and it still connects at 100. What are some other tricks to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Replace the cable. 100 mbit uses four wires and gigabit is all eight.