Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hee hee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What game has a mech with All the Missles?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Battletech? Pretty sure there's a mech that can have at least 60, possibly 80, missiles firing each turn

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Randalor posted:

What game has a mech with All the Missles?

Bangai-O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFEUB0tgsmI

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I meant the game in kitfox88's image. Though Bangai-O was pretty awesome, I wonder if there's a way to play it nowadays outside of emulation...

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The game looks like Mechwarrior 5, there's a lot of unique mech interiors, so there's no surprise there's a couple cute easter eggs in 'em.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There should have been a Megas XLR video game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Counting tabletop RPGs, Lancer has the Monarch.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

haveblue posted:

There should have been a Megas XLR video game

Oh man, I just got sad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Please say that's a Mad Cat or a Catapult :allears:.

SubNat posted:

The game looks like Mechwarrior 5, there's a lot of unique mech interiors, so there's no surprise there's a couple cute easter eggs in 'em.

Now I'm reminded of Titanfall 2's little easter eggs in the Titan Eject messages in multiplayer. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Farscape reference of all things in one of them ("Wait for the Wheel")

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also a videogame now!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Out of all of Vex's Lancer memes the Monarch one is the most straightforward since it just describes the playstyle straight. It really just do be like that
https://twitter.com/vexwerewolf/status/1411002902508941316

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please say that's a Mad Cat or a Catapult :allears:.

Now I'm reminded of Titanfall 2's little easter eggs in the Titan Eject messages in multiplayer. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Farscape reference of all things in one of them ("Wait for the Wheel")

Crusader, which to be fair does still have room for something like 60 LRMs per alpha strike in the game! MechWarrior 5 specifically yeah. I have it fit with four SRM6 modules though, keeping LRM locks is bullshit that's what AI lancemates are for

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How is Mechwarrior 5. I'm a fan of the series but it seemed to release to very little fanfare and I'm not sure I've heard anything good about it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Breetai posted:

How is Mechwarrior 5. I'm a fan of the series but it seemed to release to very little fanfare and I'm not sure I've heard anything good about it.

I can't speak for the single player story but the coop is is a blast. It's also on PC gamepass, so pretty cheap to check out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

Crusader, which to be fair does still have room for something like 60 LRMs per alpha strike in the game! MechWarrior 5 specifically yeah. I have it fit with four SRM6 modules though, keeping LRM locks is bullshit that's what AI lancemates are for

It's not a proper Alpha Strike if it doesn't threaten to make your Mech blow up the moment you fire everything simultaneously :colbert:.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Heh, a cute message if you go into the item menu in Bayonetta during an Alfheim (challenge fights where you have to do them in constraints): "This mode is a formal challenge to you from PlatinumGames. Rely on your strength and see if you are up to the test"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Heh, a cute message if you go into the item menu in Bayonetta during an Alfheim (challenge fights where you have to do them in constraints): "This mode is a formal challenge to you from PlatinumGames. Rely on your strength and see if you are up to the test"

I have to disagree: I don't need games I pay for poo poo-talking me. :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Gundam Evolution, the Gundam-based Overwatch clone, finally released in Australia, and I've noticed something about its roster selection. Usually when you get a crossover game or a fanservice-ey spinoff of a long-running series (of which Evolution is technically both), you can really see a pattern in what the selection favors. Maybe it's just hitting the classics first and foremost like Smash Bros, maybe it's favoring recent releases like Playstation All-Stars, maybe it favors certain eras like Hyrule Warriors adoring the N64/Gamecube Zeldas, maybe it's clearly struggling with 'uhhh what licenses can we get' like Multiversus.

Or you can be like Gundam Evolution, and be UNPREDICTABLY loving INSANE.

Okay, the most represented Gundam series is the original, that makes sense. What does it bring? Well, the classic Gundam, naturally. The original Zaku, of course. The Guntank which was a borderline-joke member of the crew, that's a fun addition. And... one of the random grunts that only appeared in background shots? Okay, I guess. Anything else? Oh, a version of the Zaku that only exists in side artbooks and one variant model kit! Of course, why didn't I think of that!

The entire roster is picked with this weird, off-beat energy that clearly cares far less about what's already marketable and far more on what the developers think are cool and might make for interesting playstyles. There's mechs from weird OVAs, obscure video games and manga-only sequels in here. Gundam SEED, one of the most famous series, only has one anime representative and it's a mid-powered villain mech. Gundam Wing, probably the most famous series internationally? One mech, added pretty late in the game thus far (#20 out of now 21), which is none of the popular ones, specifically using the variant from the weird sequel OVA. Meanwhile, Turn-A Gundam, maybe the most 'weird cult favorite' Gundam series? Oh, that one has two representatives; the protagonist, and a weird late-story mook mech that's so obscure it has literally no merchandise.

The game itself is mostly a 'pretty good'-tier competitive hero shooter with kinda bad monetization, but the roster is just so refreshingly bizarre for the sort of game it is; it's like if Smash Bros had Mario reps from the old cartoon, a Famicom Detective Club character, and decided its second Metroid rep wasn't gonna be Ridley, but a weird lategame Super Metroid enemy you didn't even know had a name.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They got anything from G Gundam?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Your robot has a big gun? drat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

They added the best version of heavy arms according to google. Endless Waltz custom is just missiles and guns, I love that guy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a proper Alpha Strike if it doesn't threaten to make your Mech blow up the moment you fire everything simultaneously :colbert:.

My LGS recently picked up battletech (okay so far it's just me and the shop owner playing) and there's been a few times where someone just fires everything in the hopes of some good hits. Usually what happens is we fail to roll a 7 on 2d6 and then have to stand around doing nothing because we're overheating, but man is it fun

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they added this to the game because of an old video of an actual yakuza beating the poo poo out of someone with a bike

this was apparently according to my in-laws a thing the triads would do in Taipei too in like the 80s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm considering reskinning Lancer into Zoids, wondering what the equivalent of the Weasel Unit Total Assault would be. Probably involves the Monarch.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oh, Random Name Generator.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They got anything from G Gundam?

They haven't yet, but at the rate they're going it's probably gonna happen, and it's gonna be a weird one. Like, they genuinely could throw in the horse Gundam and it wouldn't even be the weirdest pull.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Apr 15, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

They haven't yet, but at the rate they're going it's probably gonna happen, and it's gonna be a weird one. Like, they genuinely could throw in the horse Gundam and it wouldn't even be the weirdest pull.

My first guess was either that or the windmill.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It'll be the fish gundam

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BurningBeard posted:

Is this pc only? It looks awesome. Right up there with Road Warden in terms of narrative games I'm interested in.

It's fun, though I'm pretty darn sure I have solved the mystery. Or at least part of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bogmonster posted:

Your robot has a big gun? drat.

🎵Can you be as your Gundam~
🎵Can one be as Gundam~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHoCXxGQARA

Cleretic posted:

Like, they genuinely could throw in the horse Gundam and it wouldn't even be the weirdest pull.

:anttony:Deploying Ants.:anttony:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Has there ever been nanomachine weapons in Gundam? I think the franchise has had electronic warfare on occasion.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My first guess was either that or the windmill.

I genuinely can't get a bead on Evolution's decision-making process enough to say which one is most likely, but I'm gonna say they're going for aesthetic diversity and they'd pick the Swedish Gundam, which was literally just a giant robot that's also Sailor Moon.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Has there ever been nanomachine weapons in Gundam? I think the franchise has had electronic warfare on occasion.

Yes, actually, in G Gundam non-seriously and Turn-A Gundam seriously. You can imagine, it's not exactly a plot point that plays nicely with a show about giant robots fighting.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Apr 15, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I genuinely can't get a bead on Evolution's decision-making process enough to say which one is most likely, but I'm gonna say they're going for aesthetic diversity and they'd pick the Swedish Gundam, which was literally just a giant robot that's also Sailor Moon.

Yes, actually, in G Gundam non-seriously and Turn-A Gundam seriously. You can imagine, it's not exactly a plot point that plays nicely with a show about giant robots fighting.

*laughs in Metal Gear Solid*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cleretic posted:

Was making more a joke about nano-weapons being mecha ants, and also Lancer mentioned above has very Gundam-styled mecha combat where electronic warfare is common and nanomachine weapons not uncommon.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, started checking out Turok Evolution and while it's rather wonky given it's a ps2 FPS, the weapons start out reasonably satisfying. The bow and arrows do a good amount to the starting enemies, the environment is quite sprawling for an opening level on a ps2 game and the tomahawk feels really powerful when it hits the smaller enemies.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Breetai posted:

I got it and all the DLC during the spring sale and I'm not regretting it, but I wouldn't buy it full price or anything. Customization is a 'hardpoints that are missile/ballistic/energy of size small/medium/large' where you can put smaller sized in bigger slots, with dedicated ones for things like jumpjets and sensor mods (or masc). It's got a huge fun spot in that it's the first MW with melee attacks, mechs that have arms can punch poo poo (and one of the DLCs adds crap like the Hatchetman and holy poo poo melee attacks with weapons can outright SHRED lights in a single blow it owns). It's quite fun to just walk by a damaged Cicada and bop it on the nose with little fanfare as it falls over and blows up. :toot: The campaign is pretty... meh, but there's a career mode where you're just a merc group without an overarcing story to follow and lots of little mini-campaigns that are 2-5 missions long with their own (lightweight) story that reward you with fancy one off mech variants or lostech weapons. One gave me a Rifleman that only has two Large Ballistic slots so you can make the ultimate glass cannon heavy of 2 AC/20s and nothing else.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, started checking out Turok Evolution and while it's rather wonky given it's a ps2 FPS, the weapons start out reasonably satisfying. The bow and arrows do a good amount to the starting enemies, the environment is quite sprawling for an opening level on a ps2 game and the tomahawk feels really powerful when it hits the smaller enemies.

Is that the one with the cerebral bore? Played so much of one of that era's Turoks with friends via gamecube 4 player splitscreen during highschool.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Is that the one with the cerebral bore? Played so much of one of that era's Turoks with friends via gamecube 4 player splitscreen during highschool.

I don't know, but the opening also had a rather cute bit where you leave a trail to enter an expanse that has a couple of Stegosauruses drinking at a pond and there is a rainbow across the waterfall that's feeding the pond and it's a very cute visual. I also like that the animals don't always attack, there was a small canine type thing that just kind of ran off, and at the start of the second area there's a raptor that just ignores you, because it's already eating something and it's alone so it probably doesn't want to try it on without backup. I like that the animals behave like animals.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Tbh if they added sailor gundam (and other g Gundam suits) that actually might get me to check the game out

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The cerebral bore (one of the most awesome videogame weapons of all time) is from Turok 2 actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Biplane posted:

The cerebral bore (one of the most awesome videogame weapons of all time) is from Turok 2 actually

All I really remember is using that while my friends called me an rear end in a top hat and playing it on gamecube so it may have been that instead if it was on it? :iiam:

Anyway I just got a unique King Crab variant at the end of a 5 mission chain in MW5 involving stopping a lunatic with a nuclear weapon. so I'm looking over paint schemes. All the large Inner Sphere polities (minus Steiner cause they're dweebs like that) have some quippy writing on the front cause, well, it's a 100 ton assault mech that mounts dual AC/20s. Davion's is just 'FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY', Liao's translates roughly to 'not enough armor, but enough firepower', Marik is 'GETTING HUNGRY', and Rasalhague says 'King Crab is best crab' but Kurita's? The hardass edgy samurai house?

Literally translated, it's 'Large-size crab enemy'

:allears: