Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

`Nemesis posted:

posted with the comment "it still leaked"

What the gently caress did you do with all my shaving cream? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

PainterofCrap posted:

Should there be some kind of jacketing or shield where the feed passes through the sheathing?

There should probably be some kind of cable gland (worst term ever) or special weatherproof pass-thru or at least a grommet or conduit or something.

`Nemesis posted:

When I moved into my current place, we looked under the kitchen sink and saw that the pipe connecting the left sink to the main drain was off-level by about an inch, and the union was on crooked as poo poo. They had tried to just patch it with a layer of caulk (of course it leaked)

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 14, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Should there be some kind of jacketing or shield where the feed passes through the sheathing?

There's a box on the other side of the wall, right? I'm no electrician, but I feel like this is probably fine, so long as the exterior box is caulked.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xerol posted:

Equating weight to volume isn't entirely fair (although our system is still stupid in many ways) since it's defined to be 231 cubic inches of volume. 8 1/3 pounds is at least somewhat convenient for estimating weight since 3 gallons = 25 pounds.

Lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ptier posted:

Blessfully not. Just drywall and plaster! That and people said that it had aluminum wiring. Also wrong! Copper all the way!
I was never more astonished than the day our popcorn ceilings' tests came back asbestos-free.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Platystemon posted:

Calories are poo poo and are muscling in on the real SI unit of energy, the joule.

Australia gets this one right. :australia:

You can measure eating contests in watts!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

First of May posted:

You can measure eating contests in watts!

Love me a good wattdog eating contest

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a box on the other side of the wall, right? I'm no electrician, but I feel like this is probably fine, so long as the exterior box is caulked.

You're not an electrician. This is not fine. At a minimum, there needs to be a cable clamp on that cable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

You're not an electrician. This is not fine. At a minimum, there needs to be a cable clamp on that cable.

I will of course bow to people who know what they're talking about, but to explain my thought process: if there's a box on either side of a wall, and the cable just goes straight through the wall between those two boxes (a run of like 2 inches), then what purpose is a cable clamp actually serving? It's not like anything can get in there to pull on the cable, right?

EDIT: I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to start a fight here. I'm trying to get a better education.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 14, 2023

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That's a mighty big assumption of you.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I will of course bow to people who know what they're talking about, but to explain my thought process: if there's a box on either side of a wall, and the cable just goes straight through the wall between those two boxes (a run of like 2 inches), then what purpose is a cable clamp actually serving? It's not like anything can get in there to pull on the cable, right?

EDIT: I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to start a fight here. I'm trying to get a better education.

It's not there so much to keep the cable from pulling through as to keep it away from the sharp metal edges of the hole it's passing through. Instead of trying to certify the conditions where a cable would never have its insulation cut through by the box, it's just easier to require a clamp for everything.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Take it up with the NFPA and NEC 312.5(C).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

It's not there so much to keep the cable from pulling through as to keep it away from the sharp metal edges of the hole it's passing through. Instead of trying to certify the conditions where a cable would never have its insulation cut through by the box, it's just easier to require a clamp for everything.

I see, thank you!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The issue, I think, has to do with the shearing action of the box being violently reset by an unfortunate event.

Imagine the NM feed being replaced by your finger. You'd feel a bit better if it was inside a piece of conduit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

Imagine the NM feed being replaced by your finger. You'd feel a bit better if it was inside a piece of conduit.

Good way to put it. Reminds me of my first boss giving instructions on treating something gently, "Don't tug on that any harder than you'd tug on your Johnson" ah, the old days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Good way to put it. Reminds me of my first boss giving instructions on treating something gently, "Don't tug on that any harder than you'd tug on your Johnson" ah, the old days.

Unfortunately, the boss was talking to veterans who had picked up some bad habits from Computer-Based Training, if you know what I mean.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is the kind of behavior that, for good reason, gets you probed in the wiring thread.

Don't "use your best logic" to give advice about things you don't know anything about that are absolutely life safety hazards.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

`Nemesis posted:

Lot of that going around.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That almost feels like it's trying to hide that there's no U-bend.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

The tragic effects of a lifetime of wearing boxer shorts.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Waiting for an alien larva to crawl out

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Waiting for an alien larva to crawl out

It already did 10 years ago. You remember, don't you?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Got my own self inflicted crappy construction question on a project I’ve been working on just for funsies. Real low stakes here.

In the woods down by my pond, I’ve been slowly building up a little boardwalk over some of the extra wet areas where a stream flows in. It’s fun, it’s cute, it’s a couple feet wide and all of 12” above ground.

To support the segments, I’ve d been driving pairs of galvanized steel pipe into the ground on either side of each end of a segment and then attaching a 2x4 across the pair, and then setting the walk segment atop that small beam. I did it this way because I don’t have to actually mess with concrete or digging post holes or anything like that down in these woods. It’s never going to carry more than one or two people at a time and by the time the pipes degrade, I’ll probably be past retirement and ready to dismantle the whole thing or leave it for the next owners.

Aaaaanyhow, I attached the supporting beams to the pipes using u-bolts, in particular because it gives me the option to come back later and adjust the height to re-level this thing if anything moves. Cool!

Problem is, no matter how hard I crank down those u bolts, it’s just a friction grab on the smooth vertical surface of the pipe, and so it can be shifted a tiny bit if one jumps hard on the thing or what have you.

(Bonus raccoon print)

Any ideas for a better way to perch this thing on these posts, that would still allow me to adjust the height later? Specifically, raising the platform, in case the pipe settles deeper.

I’ve though about just drilling a hole into the pipe and throwing a pin in to block the u-bolt from dropping down at all, and if I need to raise it, I can just drill another hole higher on the pipe off to the side.

I dunno, just looking for ideas. Like I said, it’s low-stakes, and in this context, janky can be okay, if needed. What I have so far is almost sufficient. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
From what I remember, aluminum docks attach to their poles with basically a big set screw (or two) so that's an option if you can't get the u bolts to work. I'd probably try adding an extra u bolt to each joint and/or putting fender washers or a larger backing plate on the wood side so you can crank the bolts down even harder.

Failing that, grab parts for an aluminum dock and do it that way. Might have a problem with pole diameter matching up though.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Double-Antenna-Clamp-Bracket-Outdoor/dp/B0BHVXR1CT

No idea if those will hold up to the weight, but that general idea... you want something between the wood and metal that is a little pointy.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Both reasonable ideas at the scale of solution I’m after, thanks!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Best part is that they're all compatible with each other. Add pointy bits or more u bolts or backing plates, if that doesn't work add the others and have two bolts per pole with pointy bits and backing plates so you can have a sumo match on top.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Cut some bicycle inner tubes and put that between the u bold and pipe.
Might work.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

From what I remember, aluminum docks attach to their poles with basically a big set screw (or two) so that's an option if you can't get the u bolts to work. I'd probably try adding an extra u bolt to each joint and/or putting fender washers or a larger backing plate on the wood side so you can crank the bolts down even harder.

Failing that, grab parts for an aluminum dock and do it that way. Might have a problem with pole diameter matching up though.

Working with the dock at my in-laws summer cabin, you are correct. It is just a really big set “bolt” that keeps the brackets on the poles and bears all the weight. Those bolts being tightened onto the poles at each corner of a dock section will bear the weight of the dock section and at least a couple of people on it with minimal movement over a season.

They have some older version of this brand. It’s probably way overkill for the side project in a backyard the goon is running though. Maybe he can find some old lake dock equipment on Craig’s List or something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tommy-D...001-2/202882585

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Orvin posted:

Working with the dock at my in-laws summer cabin, you are correct. It is just a really big set “bolt” that keeps the brackets on the poles and bears all the weight. Those bolts being tightened onto the poles at each corner of a dock section will bear the weight of the dock section and at least a couple of people on it with minimal movement over a season.

They have some older version of this brand. It’s probably way overkill for the side project in a backyard the goon is running though. Maybe he can find some old lake dock equipment on Craig’s List or something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tommy-D...001-2/202882585

That's about what I saw with some light googling, but I seem to remember there being a cheaper version that was basically the sleeve and a small ledge with room for two bolts. Granted, I haven't had to do any dock installation/repair since I was a teenager so I barely remember any of it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s rad but at 70 bucks a pair it’d blow the budget up pretty aggressively, for sure. I have a bunch of segments to this thing and each one is on four posts. Still, it’s good food for thought on how I approach this.

Cat Hatter posted:

That's about what I saw with some light googling, but I seem to remember there being a cheaper version that was basically the sleeve and a small ledge with room for two bolts. Granted, I haven't had to do any dock installation/repair since I was a teenager so I barely remember any of it.

I’ll do some digging on that. Hell, I could weld something like that up ezpz.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Worst case scenario: rip everything out and teach yourself the art of Japanese fastenerless construction.

https://youtu.be/PYkgEf3eWqA

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A perfect recipe for definitely finishing this project in a reasonable amount of time!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

That’s rad but at 70 bucks a pair it’d blow the budget up pretty aggressively, for sure. I have a bunch of segments to this thing and each one is on four posts. Still, it’s good food for thought on how I approach this.

I’ll do some digging on that. Hell, I could weld something like that up ezpz.

I get that it was not going to be a proper solution for you, but figured a picture could help. And maybe you can find the Harbor Freight version of a dock system out there. Because that is essentially what you are doing, creating a land based dock system on the cheap. Without open water causing the additional stress (or a boat tied up alongside) you can probably safely cut a bunch of corners. Must be somewhere on Reddit that someone has figured this problem out for significantly less costs.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Orvin posted:

I get that it was not going to be a proper solution for you, but figured a picture could help. And maybe you can find the Harbor Freight version of a dock system out there. Because that is essentially what you are doing, creating a land based dock system on the cheap. Without open water causing the additional stress (or a boat tied up alongside) you can probably safely cut a bunch of corners. Must be somewhere on Reddit that someone has figured this problem out for significantly less costs.

Yeah it’s definitely helpful to have existing solutions in mind regardless of cost, and as you said, there may be cheaper, similar solutions available.

I’ll be sure to post a trip report when this is all done and grandpa immediately breaks a hip by falling off of it.

:cheers:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If we're just going cheap backwoods not really caring about code or anything what about just denting an index into the pipe to stop the u bolt from slipping? Use a dull chisel or something else like that to smack a shallow perpendicular groove for the bolt to call home. Combine that with the pin idea and you should have a winner, just remember that bolts and screws aren't pins

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dock Edge Stationary Dock Hardware and Fasteners https://a.co/d/8mWybFB

Dock Edge Stationary Dock Hardware and Fasteners https://a.co/d/b8cK3ze

Thanks to the more advanced dock connector previously I found these, seems like that might be getting there. That second one I feel like I could fabricate on the cheap, too. Wouldn’t be stainless or galvanized, though, but they’d probably have a lifetime measured in decades in this setting anyhow.

e: https://www.veveinc.com/shop/Dock-Straight-Bracket-D-555-for-1-1/2-inch-pipe.html

I like this one a lot. Has an L to support the thing, this is exactly what I was picturing while considering fabricating the thing myself.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 15, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Problem is, no matter how hard I crank down those u bolts, it’s just a friction grab

Bad Munki posted:

Hell, I could weld something like that up ezpz.

Bad Munki posted:

it’s just a friction grab

Bad Munki posted:

Hell, I could weld

Hmmmmm

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Trying to approach the required effort from the low end first, but yeah

e: Also the adjustability of the thing is a core desire.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Trying to approach the required effort from the low end first, but yeah

e: Also the adjustability of the thing is a core desire.

Welds are infinitely adjustble. You just need a grinder in addition to the welder.