Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow Duke had two time-travel adventures and didn't fight Nazis/Nazi Aliens in either.

Edit: Das Mighty Boot

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

david_a posted:

Man that’s a lot more effort than RoTT probably deserves

:hmmwrong:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Somehow Duke had two time-travel adventures and didn't fight Nazis/Nazi Aliens in either.

Edit: Das Mighty Boot
They kept trying to do this but they never quite reached release. Well, except for the Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard comic book.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Deakul posted:

I can hear Jon St. John saying those exact words already.

Same here.

Duke's got a lot of bathroom-related, rear end, and piss-adjacent one-liners (list is not complete, please contribute and I will update):
Aahhh... much better. (upon urinating)
Blow it out your rear end!
Eat poo poo and die.
Get that crap outta here.
Holy poo poo!
I'll rip your head off and poo poo down your neck.
I'm getting too old for this poo poo.
I'm gonna get medieval on your asses!
I'm gonna kick your rear end, bitch!
I'm gonna put the smack dab on your rear end!
It's time to kick rear end and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum.
No way I'm eating this poo poo!
Mm. Smells like someone cut the fromage.
Oh...your rear end is grass and I've got the weed-whacker.
poo poo happens.
Your face, your rear end. What's the difference?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

They kept trying to do this but they never quite reached release. Well, except for the Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard comic book.
That one had this page, though, so all is forgiven:
https://twitter.com/wumpflumpem/status/1261073197400756227
(CW suicide (of Hitler))

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 14, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

'Yo, Shitler' :allears:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

All this bathroom talk and no mention of the most prolific early FPS bathroom: GoldenEye.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

ChatGPT4's suggestions for a new toilet orientated Duke Nukem game posted:

"Flushed with success, baby!"

"Time to plunge into action!"

"Let's get this crap-ocalypse started!"

"I'm the ultimate sewer-nator!"

"I'm here to kick rear end and unclog toilets, and I'm all outta toilets."

"It's time to clean up this sh*t-storm!"

"Don't you know? I'm the king of thrones!"

"You're about to be toilet-ally wiped out!"

"I don't take any sh*t... I flush it!"

"Bowel movements, meet your bowel remover!"

"This is a royal flush of pain!"

"Get ready to eat porcelain, scumbag!"

"Time to take out the toilet trash!"

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

A better prompt for a community project has never been seen.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

A better prompt for a community project has never been seen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Dook Poopem

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got Supplice yesterday, it runs like absolute poo poo on steam deck :(

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

"Time to plunge into action!"

How much does JSJ charge to speak Duke lines? I need this in my life.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not for me :confused:

What comparability mode are you using? Have you tried Proton QE?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Oh my god I love those but I can't figure out if sewer-nator is a clever pun beyond my intellectual skill or just a convincing hallucination

Well done regardless :bravo:

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

i haven't tried cause i don't own Supplice yet, but i'd be pretty shocked if you couldn't just run it with the native Linux version of gzdoom instead for a free performance boost.

The gzdoom flatpak that you can find in KDE discover seems to have an issue with detecting the Deck as a controller, but the one you can get from the github release page seems to work fine!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Not for me :confused:

What comparability mode are you using? Have you tried Proton QE?

Just running it as-is , I’ll try QE

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
For 3 or 4 months in the early 2010's, I had an avatar I had drawn of Duke waist-deep in 3 shades of poo poo and something about "Duke Nukem Deep in Doo"--and I even had the glow of his cigar barely animated--and it's no longer showing up on the Goon Avatar History website and that's gonna haunt me for the rest of my days.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r0MTs8aALc

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Duke Nukem 3D being turned into something closer to a Wolfenstein clone for a TecToy Brazillian Megadrive port was always quite the curiousity, and Framerater actually slogged through the whole thing and learned to like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVu0yzGksw

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just made some minor updates to the OP to keep its contents fresh and relevant. Lemme know if there's anything else what needs adding.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nice! I guess the World Tour section of Duke could mention it includes new maps from Allen Blum and Levelord, not just a kooky port.

Convex posted:

drat, those nazi bastards are gonna pay for shooting up my bidet

voting for this! And agreed the Duke Glorious Bastard comic is great. The trade paperback includes the DNF balls of steel edition packed-in comic too, in full size, which is quite the fine read as well.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Would Xash3d be considered a hl1 source port?

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

The Kins posted:

Just made some minor updates to the OP to keep its contents fresh and relevant. Lemme know if there's anything else what needs adding.

Alright so it's no in the OP OP but you may want to add The Force Engine for Dark Forces?

(thx for your work)

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Assepoester posted:

Duke Nukem 3D being turned into something closer to a Wolfenstein clone for a TecToy Brazillian Megadrive port was always quite the curiousity, and Framerater actually slogged through the whole thing and learned to like it

If the concept of this was ported back into ECWolf (without the horrible palletization and dithering), I would totally play it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Please could I suggest the following, all of which support 4 player split screen gameplay. Note that all are on console only.

GoldenEye 007
The original N64 ROM in higher resolution with a slightly less unstable framerate! Uses the existing Widescreen setting but without stretching the menus, and also adds a 'locked target' aiming option which makes finishing 00 Agent a hell of a lot easier. Available through Rare Replay on Xbox, or the Xbox / Nintendo Switch monthly subscription service:

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/games/store/goldeneye-007/9N6639H7VGH4/0010

Note: Due to absurd licencing restrictions which prevented a re-release for about 25 years, don't expect this to stay on sale forever. Rare Replay often goes on sale for about £5 (eg right now) and gets you a whole load of other games, including:

Perfect Dark
Not quite the N64 version, as this runs at 60fps and replaces practically every texture with new ones of variable quality. Split screen runs above 10FPS, which takes some adjustment.

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/Perfect-Dark/BQ70VB4MM1XM

Available separately:

TimeSplitters 2 & Future Perfect
The spiritual successors to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, these games finally managed 4-player split screen at a solid 60FPS, with added monkeys. Both games are now available in HD using Xbox BC:

https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/timesplitters-2/9njbx726m8j9
https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/games/store/timesplitters-future-perfect/9n51s9qzmsb6

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 16, 2023

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
John Romero is streaming more SIGIL II mapping over yonder:
https://twitch.tv/theromero
v relaxed stream.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Assepoester posted:

Video was pulled? Eh, it was kinda sloppy anyway. It's weird that even after 10 years of playing the game they didn't figure out that the graphics were clearly designed for the horizontal blur the Genesis' composite video encoding adds, it's one of the more obvious examples of it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So I played through Quake 2 and the two expansions and then got around to trying this. I found and beat the secret level easy enough but the first normal level I entered was going fine until I ran into the new BFG Gladiator. It's immediately way more bullshit than the most bullshit parts of the expansions. It fires homing BFGs that can do 90 degree turns around corners! If it locks on to you you are 100% dead with no recourse.

The game DLL was open-source so I'm thinking of maybe removing the homing which would make it acceptable.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/JamesPaddock/status/1647706210521497600

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Does the shot path around obstacles? If not you could put terrain or corners between you and it.

I'm skeptical that they'd add a literally unavoidable bfg shot like that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Serephina posted:

Does the shot path around obstacles? If not you could put terrain or corners between you and it.

I'm skeptical that they'd add a literally unavoidable bfg shot like that.

It absolutely does! I'd post a video but the Windows XBox game thing can't seem to record from Yamagi. It seems to lose you if you break line of sight with it but then it reacquires you if you're within homing range when it gets LOS again, doing a sudden instant direction change.

So if you get into cover and then get a good distance away from the projectile's path it doesn't track but you need a generous amount of space to do it. Essentially if you're within laser range of the BFG shot it follows you perfectly. I had no problem with any aspect of the official content or this mod's secret level which had multiple boss fights but I can only pop off a few railgun shots around corners at this new Gladiator before I no longer can find room to avoid it. And it has a Power Shield so it has a big pile of HP like the Ground Zero Phalanx Gladiator.

So far I haven't tried baiting it into melee attacks but if it gets off one ranged attack on the approach or while dodging the melee attacks it's death unlike the normal Gladiator which just merely hurts a bit if it manages to hit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Someone discovered vores and thought “you know what this needs? A BFG”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Supplice owns. Performance isn't great on Steam Deck in wider areas unfortunately but the design is excellent. Music is great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Supplice owns. Performance isn't great on Steam Deck in wider areas unfortunately but the design is excellent. Music is great.

Hedon and HROT had similar issues last time I tried them on the Deck, too. You'd think these games would be a no-brainer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You get a 10-20fps hit outdoors on every config because the doom engine just isn't made for it and hates it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's ok, Doom runs at over 1000fps nowadays. It has some frames to spare.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The GZDoom engine isn't the Doom engine (I'm not even sure if there's any code in common anymore) and definitely doesn't always have great performance on less powerful devices.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Volte posted:

The GZDoom engine isn't the Doom engine (I'm not even sure if there's any code in common anymore) and definitely doesn't always have great performance on less powerful devices.

Yeah when I say these games run poorly on the Deck I mean they are slow and bog down in complex areas, not that they're getting 500 fps instead of 750 fps. HROT (not GZDoom afaik) ran at single-digit FPS last time I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Serephina posted:

That's ok, Doom runs at over 1000fps nowadays. It has some frames to spare.

on supplice's outdoor areas i was definitely down to like 60-80fps on a 6 core 4ghz cpu and gtx 1660ti. the areas are just loving huge