Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grand Fromage posted:

My advice would not to think about learning to cook "Asian" food since that isn't a thing and pick a specific cuisine to learn about.

And then I'd suggest Sichuan because it is the best.

I'm kinda hosed up rn so im smoothbrain typing this all. I'd like to learn Thai dishes. Rolling sushi isn't a huge interest to me even though it would be good and while it's not easy to do

And thank you Chinatown I will buy this book.

I have no issue working a wok it's more that I haven't focused heavily on making Asian dishes more than fairly simple recipes.

Honestly I utilize a lot of Frozen poo poo from trader Joe's because sometimes I don't have the patience to cook. I really like to cook good meals and when I'm in a good mindset I can cook some pretty amazing poo poo as I am fairly good at cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Fuchsia Dunlop’s books are pretty foolproof for cooking Sichuan food imo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
make sure you locate your local Asian market because TJ is pretty poo poo for buying ingredients instead of ready-made stuff

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mons Hubris posted:

Fuchsia Dunlop’s books are pretty foolproof for cooking Sichuan food imo

The Food of Sichuan specifically. Don't get the old one, it sucked.

the holy poopacy posted:

make sure you locate your local Asian market because TJ is pretty poo poo for buying ingredients instead of ready-made stuff

I think this really depends on your TJ, I hear this a lot but mine has good produce and meat. You will have to hit the Chinese grocery for more interesting vegetables though.

Also if you're in the US and do want to do Sichuan: https://themalamarket.com/ Some of it is a bit pricy but you can't beat the quality here. Except the Sichuan pepper oil, it sucks. Get that from 50hertz.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

the holy poopacy posted:

I live in Cali there's Asian markets on ever corner.

And I love it not bagging the Asian market I got a lot of stuff there when the pandemic was in full shutdown mode and there's a lady that runs a huge one a couple miles from me. The stuff in there is amazing.

I'm in this big transition of dropping a hundred pounds so I'm really strict on my caloric intake. Trader Js makes it easy as I can track my calories with ready made stuff that requires some modification but is mostly good when cooked correctly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 28, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah trying to track calories sucks when you're cooking from scratch, but as long as you're staying veg heavy and not drowning it in high calorie sauces you should be good. Sauce bottles should have calories on them, the ones from the vegetables themselves are mostly negligible. Really hard to eat enough cabbage to gain weight.

Something fun and tasty to try: garlic fried kongxincai/ong choy.

Heat up a wok or pan. Add a couple tablespoons of oil, swirl to coat. Throw in a stupid amount of rough chopped garlic, however much you want but go heavy. Stir fry it for 30 seconds or so until it smells a lot. At this step if you want it spicy you could throw in some dried chili peppers. Anyway, add a pile of your kongxincai and stir fry for a minute or two until it's wilted. Add a bit of soy sauce, and if you have it, Shaoxing wine. Pinch of salt and MSG. Then swirl in just a bit of cornstarch/water slurry, you're not looking for a ton here but just enough to give it a little sheen and coat. Remove and eat.

You can do the same thing with any leafy vegetable. Some tougher ones like gai lan, you would want to briefly blanch that in boiling water first to soften it a bit.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 28, 2023

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Just go to your local H-Mart for all asian stuff.

If you don't have an H-Mart nearby then you live somewhere lovely. Sorry!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Chinatown posted:

I got a place called Talin Market down the street from my house and they have a french bakery across the street that would make 🅾️🅱️ mad with their super spicy banh mis, they have popup fresh dumpling sales, just one of the best stores in town outside some real carnicerias

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Grand Fromage posted:

The Food of Sichuan specifically. Don't get the old one, it sucked.

I like that one and Every Grain of Rice, but Land of Plenty is not as good yeah

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I think this really depends on your TJ, I hear this a lot but mine has good produce and meat. You will have to hit the Chinese grocery for more interesting vegetables though.

Here the quality is good, and the produce selection is reasonable, but the meat section is tiny and the spice selection is best described as "lol"

if you want any kind of rice noodles you're SOL too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
trader joes defines itself and everything it does by selling a lot of a lot fewer sku's from fewer warehouses. this means less overhead and much better choice of the actual things they sell but latencies for trucking are worse so the produce will be less fresh. tj's doesnt have butchers also for this reason

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 29, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they also dont do slotting fees. at typical grocers slotting fees (basically payola for grocery products, payment by manufacturers to grocers to have their product) are like the main way they make profit as opposed to revenue

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I have stayed away from Joe's for most produce. I get peppers onions potatoes and that's about it. I go to a Mexican grocery store for most produce and some meats if I want them pre marinated in a butcher shop

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

CostCo thread is closed and now there's a Sam's Club thread, Joe Bros.

Now's our time to shine. Sound off with your favorite Trader Treats!

I don't really like chocolates much, but these things are damned good.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Had BBQ Jackfruit and veggie bites from the frozen section of TJs, lady bagmo picked them up for quick/easy dinners and thats what they were. they also ruled.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chinatown posted:

99 ranch por vida, guey

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I have stayed away from Joe's for most produce. I get peppers onions potatoes and that's about it. I go to a Mexican grocery store for most produce and some meats if I want them pre marinated in a butcher shop
They have good apples, pears, and bananas at mine. Good arugula too.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

sudonim posted:

They have good apples, pears, and bananas at mine. Good arugula too.

Can't go wrong with a .19C banana.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the basil is always fresh and cheap at my TJs, it’s honestly the best random thing to get there that costs too much elsewhere

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Looks like the crunchy habaneros in oil finally rotated out since the last time I got some. Copped a jar of this stuff, not nearly as spicy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Looks like the crunchy habaneros in oil finally rotated out since the last time I got some. Copped a jar of this stuff, not nearly as spicy

This stuff is ok. It’s not nearly as good as this stuff though,

ZINDREW CHILI Crunchy Garlic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VNQC99W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s legit.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

the tea tree shampoo and conditioner were the only thing that my hair liked for years but I needed something more portable. I like the shampoo bar and the hair mask although I haven't figured out how to get it to spread all the way from roots to ends without using a ton (hair below shoulder blades)

They have a new all in one hair wash that internet people seem to believe is a rebranded Wen Fig, going to pick some up on the way home from work and find out

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Trader Joe's quesabirria night tonight

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The fundamental problem is the trader Joe's ready to eat meat packs don't ever have enough meat, it's always only enough for like 3 meals

Who the hell is feeding 3 people on a consistent basis

Double it up

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Families with one kid or one older kid and one infant? Childless couples who only want a little for leftovers?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Trip report: it was good. Could use a bit more seasoning but otherwise good

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Wish I had remembered to look for this when I went in today. Got some frozen butter chicken and frozen French onion soup.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I'm not sure who designed the Trader Joe's near us but I'm pretty sure they hate both grocery shopping and their fellow man

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Smugworth posted:

How was this? I'm making a TJ's run soon, this may be on my list if it was good.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

How was this? I'm making a TJ's run soon, this may be on my list if it was good.

Smugworth posted:

Trip report: it was good. Could use a bit more seasoning but otherwise good

Don't forget to get some corn tortillas

e: and cilantro and onion

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 14, 2023

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
been eating the frozen chow mein on the regular lately. i just fancy up the sauce with various asian condiments and add more broccoli. its good.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Howard Beale posted:

I'm not sure who designed the Trader Joe's near us but I'm pretty sure they hate both grocery shopping and their fellow man

The Joe's I shop at is designed to inflict as much pain on you as possible. The meat section is always a nightmare of Karen's standing around trying to choose between 85/15 and 90/10 beef

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The Joe's I shop at is designed to inflict as much pain on you as possible. The meat section is always a nightmare of Karen's standing around trying to choose between 85/15 and 90/10 beef

Man it’s like, are you making gravy or having a burger? MAKE UP YOURE MIND! :thunkher:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I have a Joe’s-related question, if anybody knows, about their delicious orange chicken. Does anyone know of an orange sauce that tastes similar? I bought some in the store and it was terrible, way too sweet. A recipe would work too.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

The Food of Sichuan specifically.

This book is insanely good. Probably my all-time favorite cookbook. So many bangers.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

this is gr8

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MarcusSA posted:

This stuff is ok. It’s not nearly as good as this stuff though,

ZINDREW CHILI Crunchy Garlic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VNQC99W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It’s legit.

I’m going to add this to my chili crisp collection but so far nothing has been as good as the good ol Lao Gan Ma

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My mom loves this place though I've never been

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You should go they have good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They have the lemon ice cream now, which is the best ice cream I've ever had.