Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Ammanas posted:

you will live in a 400sq ft pit for $1900/mo and like it

There are 392 square foot apartments in a new building down the street from me in LA. The rent is $2645

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

all new housing development here is homes for rent only and way out in the country. :nutshot:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12611-Eagle-River-Rd-Firestone-CO-80504/246631981_zpid/

730k house in a refurbished farm field with as many houses as possible. no trees, in an area that is basically desert, a mile closer to the sun than many other areas, no trees because it was a corn field, so no shade from any of that...also in an area that is surrounded by other farm fields that are covered in piss for weeks at a time multiple times a year...for a laugh i implore you to do the 3d tour---

start at the front and walk through the kitchen into the back yard and see what more than a million dollars, when you think about interest on a 30yr mortgage, gets you in terms of privacy...and then turn back around and go downstairs into the basement and have a quick stroll around down there

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
being not familiar with that area at all it doesnt seem bad aside from the price tag. better a repurposed farm field than a demolished forest area.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RadiRoot posted:

it doesnt seem bad aside from the price tag

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I actually prefer city living and my mistake was moving out of one. If you don't like them I get it, but I prefer city life. Good luck affording it of course

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

being not familiar with that area at all it doesnt seem bad aside from the price tag. better a repurposed farm field than a demolished forest area.

massive cracks will run through every shoddy house in these neighborhoods as the ground moves beneath them over the next decade so that’s one thing to look forward to, a window view of one of the most dangerous interstates in the country is another.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m going to actually give the realtor credit for this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's actually nice; just needs some sheetrock. that floor looks new and well-done. the ducting hanging below the joists on the right would be irritating to deal with, but from the photo, looks good.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

anime was right posted:

Once you can no longer go to restaurants and bars there's no point

Plus all the fun stuff in cities that's not bars or restaurants is easily accessible by day trips if you live anywhere even remotely close. We used to take the train into Boston and NYC for the weekend all the time before everything got stupid expensive.

Nothing wrong with living in a city obviously but it's also not surprising that people tend to leave once they have kids or just settle down given that you're usually paying a huge premium for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

it’s in Atlanta where they have massive tax breaks for filming so I’m guessing they’re targeting rich actors who need to rent a place for a month or two while they film

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

Plus all the fun stuff in cities that's not bars or restaurants is easily accessible by day trips if you live anywhere even remotely close.

we have wildly different lives experiences with this

there’s a huge different to me about taking a 15 minute bus to someplace cool when I live inside the city compared to a 90 minute odyssey from some lovely suburb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i can walk down the street and get just about anything i need

not always the exact thing i want, but anything i need. might have to go a little further for the things i want

there are literally millions of people around me to talk about birding, or fitness, or art, or construction, or any of the other things i'm into

any service i need, there are dozens, hundreds, of vendors for it. healthcare, repair, education, whatever. it's america, so it all sucks, but it's there at least.

i have a job that pays me an actual wage, fully double what i would get just about anywhere else in the country

i've put 7000 miles on a car in three years, and nearly a quarter of that is driving to buffalo a couple times

there are so many reasons to live in a city beside "bars and restaurants," lol. just ask... i dunno, the billions of people that live in them. anyone who thinks it's about bars and restaurants is telling on themselves. i rarely go to restaurants and haven't been to a bar in three years, and even before covid rarely went to a bar.

cities. they're sorta a big deal for the last ~8000 years or so

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Cities in the US loving suck, though. I live 1600 feet from the nearest public library, but there aren't sidewalks from there to there, you have to go under freeway underpasses that don't get cleaned so dirt piles up where a pedestrian would want to walk, and there's multiple unprotected road crossings.

I live less than 4 miles from work in a neighborhood where tons of people are all making the same commute, but the bus system is entirely hub and spoke so going there would involve a transfer and take almost as long as just loving walking there, which I've done a handful of times. I bike it regularly, but everyone else just drives.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Related: bus service in the US doesn't have to be awful, we choose to keep it this way because buses exist mostly as a way to punish the poor.

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/28/10852884/houston-bus-ridership

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/how-metro-made-bus-service-priority-and-became-transit-trendsetter

quote:

The redesign was a much better fit for the city Houston had become, providing better service — including expanded weekend service — to more of the population and increased access to the region’s job centers not named downtown. It established a Frequent Network comprising 22 bus routes and the three light rail lines whose stops had 15-minute frequencies,

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
fwiw in the US there really is only a few cities where you can have an actual city life

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

A Bakers Cousin posted:

fwiw in the US there really is only a few cities where you can have an actual city life

And only in some neighborhoods

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

Cities in the US loving suck, though. I live 1600 feet from the nearest public library, but there aren't sidewalks from there to there, you have to go under freeway underpasses that don't get cleaned so dirt piles up where a pedestrian would want to walk, and there's multiple unprotected road crossings.

I live less than 4 miles from work in a neighborhood where tons of people are all making the same commute, but the bus system is entirely hub and spoke so going there would involve a transfer and take almost as long as just loving walking there, which I've done a handful of times. I bike it regularly, but everyone else just drives.

what city do you live in? are you in some 100k shithole?

I’m in a major metro and I’m a 30 minute walk from 4 libraries and if we expand it to a 30 minute bus ride then I have infinite libraries - knowledge is limitless

I am a little scared to ride my bike on major transport modes tho - you got me there

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m in a major metro and I’m a 30 minute walk from 4 libraries and if we expand it to a 30 minute bus ride then I have infinite libraries - knowledge is limitless

I am a little scared to ride my bike on major transport modes tho - you got me there

I'm in Nashville, about 800k city limit population, 2 million metro population in a neighborhood that went from $300k-400k when I bought in 7 years ago to listings "from 1.1M" now. Not a megacity, but also I think it makes the cutoff for "city".

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
while there certainly are places in the us where you can live the city life, i dont really think it needs to be held up as a common way of life for literally the rest of america?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

A Bakers Cousin posted:

anime was right posted:

And only in some neighborhoods

This is 100% true. You need the conditions to create density and access to transit. There are very few places with it.

So... not surprising that most people have never even had that sort of experience.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'll never forget visiting Dallas and being at basically the mall which is tucked under 32 lanes of intersecting highway, and then people being like "isn't this city awesome??" like... uh no not really at least not this part.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I live on close to 2 acres in a crappy suburb with like 50k people and I'm a 15 minute walk from two big libraries and a downtown filled with lovely bars and clubs. I put like 3k miles on my car per year. Walkability is a big, big deal, but very few people in cities or otherwise actually live close to anything other than bars and restaurants.

To be super clear, I am not making GBS threads on cities at all. Cities are great. What I'm saying is that the exceptionally high premium of living in one is understandably not going to sit well with a lot of people.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Our landlord is raising the rent over by over $250 again this year, so now we get to move. :thumbsup:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nothus posted:

Our landlord is raising the rent over by over $250 again this year, so now we get to move. :thumbsup:

:smith:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My rent is going up by 600 which is like... 25% and my landlord called me "persnickety" when I called to ask about it.

Persnickety, a word which means "placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy."

Unfortunately they can't do anything about it because the computer decided that's what rent should be. There's no human in charge you see, its the computer that raised my rent.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
whoops looks like a computer error burned down your office!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm in Nashville, about 800k city limit population, 2 million metro population in a neighborhood that went from $300k-400k when I bought in 7 years ago to listings "from 1.1M" now. Not a megacity, but also I think it makes the cutoff for "city".

oh dang yeah that’s a big city for America. shucks what a situation - I’m
sorry you don’t have more amenities :(

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Salt Fish posted:

My rent is going up by 600 which is like... 25% and my landlord called me "persnickety" when I called to ask about it.

Persnickety, a word which means "placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy."

Careful. You don't want to cause a hullabaloo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Unfortunately they can't do anything about it because the computer decided that's what rent should be. There's no human in charge you see, its the computer that raised my rent.

25% a month? toronto or nyc? jfc

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
VA. Here's what they sent me:

current rent is at the top

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

that says they will rent it to you for a year for about 3600$

I would take that offer

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
that chart is crazy speak

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that chart is 100% generated by some stupid algorithm

destroy landlords

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

all landlords belong in a mass grave

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

that chart is crazy speak

that’s what I was seeing last year before we bought. it’s that algorithm made by that Texas company that came up in the thread earlier.

the extortion is programmed in. they do this poo poo even if they can’t fill the units at those prices. it’s : What you gonna do about it, move?

that said those prices are what a new renter would see too, but they’ll couple them with like the first like three months are free. so it’s set by the “market “ but clearly not market prices because they have to offer the huge incentives to get new people in.

the worst part , every rental place using the service will be about the same. so plan on getting to move every year forever to have anything affordable.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Salt Fish posted:

those numbers don't make any sense lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm seeing $3500+ rents here too in some areas. $4K a month in fuckin Pittsburgh.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

those numbers don't make any sense lol

Some algorithm has identified a magical sweet spot where people pay more on a "cheaper" short-term lease by getting caught in more price increases.

Like it's probably actually bullshit, but I'd bet anything that that's what's going on there.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I pay like 1900