Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

alf_pogs posted:

it's almost identical to Rebecca Glasscock's entrance look in season 1, an incredibly funny low standard of "just rocking up in jeans and a shirt"

How the times have changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
If Dida Ritz ever gets on AS, she should just reuse her S4 entrance look

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Your annual reminder:

THE SEASON 15 FINALE AIRS TONIGHT AT 8 PM EASTERN

If you haven't seen it yet, close the thread.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

gandlethorpe posted:

If Dida Ritz ever gets on AS, she should just reuse her S4 entrance look

Wow I forgot how...Mall Fashion the early seasons were.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

curiousTerminal posted:

Wow I forgot how...Mall Fashion the early seasons were.

What in the holy name of Versace is this?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The wig is somehow worse than the outfit.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

girl’s gotta fudge it if she don’t got the budget

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Everything tastes better on a Dida Ritz

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Rarity posted:

What in the holy name of Versace is this?

Welcome to early season Drag Race :getin:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/hosoterratoma/status/1644357569366876160?cxt=HHwWgICz3eif99EtAAAA
https://twitter.com/hosoterratoma/status/1644357779631513605

That number 1.... :stare: I hope that's not too common!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I could see people doing that with Trixie and Katya, somehow.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Someone read an erotic fan fiction story about them -to- them at DragCon. I think it was mpreg or lesbian somehow. Trixie and Katya have suffered enough.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Drag race has toxic fans just like every other fandom

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

In other news DRAG RACE ALL STARS RETURNS MAY 12

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Drag race has toxic fans just like every other fandom

I do wonder if the "catty" image of drag (even if its done in fun) leads to people thinking they can just say whatever the hell they want to the contestants, at least regarding hate comments.

Like, do contestants on Real World or British Bakeoff or American Idol get social media vitriol to that degree? :stare:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

JINKX :allears:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

I do wonder if the "catty" image of drag (even if its done in fun) leads to people thinking they can just say whatever the hell they want to the contestants, at least regarding hate comments.

Like, do contestants on Real World or British Bakeoff or American Idol get social media vitriol to that degree? :stare:

with bake-off I think the majority of scorn is aimed at the judges; but someone who wants to be known as being a great home baker is most likely often a different duck than a sassy smack talkin' queen

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
RuPaul, the mad lad did it

He gave us a boring Sasha vs. Anetra finale

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Predictable conclusion, but correct

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
When the cast was announced, it really just became a battle for second place. Her performances tonight solidified Sasha’s win. It really was Beyoncé coming onto American Idol.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Personally I enjoyed the Season of Meet and Greet

e: that's a lie it was way too long and the drama was tedious and exhausting rather than entertaining

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
cant unsee spice sitting next to all the families of the top 4

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I choose to believe she just moved every time to sit next to them rather than it being the emotional relative hot seat

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i swear i saw matt berry in the audience but ive been day drinking

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i swear i saw matt berry in the audience but ive been day drinking

Well Guillermo was there so Lazlo can't be far behind.

Very confused about Miss Congeniality. The queens voted on it though, just wish we could have seen some of the off camera stuff that we missed out on.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One things for sure

Princess and Luxxe were soooooooo pissed they got bottom 2

Also I really did not feel Anetra was giving all she had.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wasn’t expecting that Miss Congeniality, but none of the queens were particularly congenial this season to begin with. I would say Sasha was the most, but of the ones who were eligible, I guess Spice? She’s a nice girl.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

I think Real World had its hayday before social media allowed fandoms to become uber toxic. But other fandoms that I recall had periods of particular toxicity included like Doctor Who (got those fans got obnoxious for a few years there), My Little Pony, and large parts of the Bravo fandom. A lot of people there think that because they're watching shows about assholes gives them the right to act like assholes themselves.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One things for sure

LMAO, I saw this too. Their faces were VERY Bitter Betty. Although, if I had to rank the "final choreographed performances," I barely remember Anetra and Mistress' acts, just the titles of their songs, Lotus and Delusion. I remember Luxx and Sasha's performances though and both their songs were earworm-y. Jinkx's final note of her song and Ru's look-back to Jinkx's dream? Chef's kiss. Also, Willow Pill and Kornbread really are the most likable winner/congeniality duo. Predictable final two, although in regards to performances, I preferred Anetra's stripped-down dance and ribbon twirling to Sasha's SO predictable huge outfit to gown to lingerie-fantasy lip-sync. In any case, nice to have the drag transwoman win at a time when it's dangerous to be either. Loved her last message.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

One things for sure

Luxx should have been in the top 2 instead of Anetra tbh. Anetra had the worst of the final performances and she coasted on the duck walk loads (she's not even the only queen who could do it!)

Nihonniboku posted:

I think Real World had its hayday before social media allowed fandoms to become uber toxic. But other fandoms that I recall had periods of particular toxicity included like Doctor Who (got those fans got obnoxious for a few years there), My Little Pony, and large parts of the Bravo fandom. A lot of people there think that because they're watching shows about assholes gives them the right to act like assholes themselves.

If we're talking toxic fandoms nothing's beating the Supernatural fanbase

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Luxx was definitely second best, but Sasha v Anetra was the closest matchup that they could do for the final lsftc. Anything else would have resulted in "why record two winners, we know Sasha won."

I appreciate what they're doing for the Finale now because it was getting ridiculous when it single-elimination. But, I miss the "anything could actually happen" feature of the Smackdown For the Crown era. Rose petals, butterflies (:gonk:), etc.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

drag race gets less raw and real every season, but given how politicized and prominent opposition to drag and lgbtq+ identities are in the united states currently it’s in a fine spot to simultaneously serve as vanguard and bulwark. of course it’s lib as hell (as the recent popularity of ai-generated images of republican politicians as drag queens demonstrates) but I’m still happy to see such a proudly queer show on mtv and hope that the next generation teenage femme fanbase is a little less toxic to the perfomers than the vh1 cohort was

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

wizardofloneliness posted:

I wasn’t expecting that Miss Congeniality, but none of the queens were particularly congenial this season to begin with. I would say Sasha was the most, but of the ones who were eligible, I guess Spice? She’s a nice girl.

The queens voted on it so they probably voted for Malaysia cause she got ganged up on this season

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Rarity posted:

Allow me to introduce you to the Steven Universe fandom circa 2017: Harassing the nonbinary Jewish queer woman who makes the show for being a homophobic nazi apologist because the protagonist of her children's show about being nice to people won't kill his aunts.

panko posted:

of course it’s lib as hell (as the recent popularity of ai-generated images of republican politicians as drag queens demonstrates) but I’m still happy to see such a proudly queer show on mtv
Including cops in their "look we're normal people too! please stop targeting us!" montage that would never, ever work on a homophobe was peak center-lib tone deaf.

re: actual finale
The reveal outfits bore me more every season but I will say unzipping the dress by pulling it up through your tits is a new one that I enjoyed and would have lost my mind seeing at a bar, but Anetra's heart on a ribbon thing was way more unexpected and fun. I actually thought to myself "oh thank god she's already in a bodysuit she can't take anything off for a reveal" Salina's cake slice dress was also loving great actually, I wonder how she's sitting in that?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Rarity posted:

Luxx should have been in the top 2 instead of Anetra tbh. Anetra had the worst of the final performances and she coasted on the duck walk loads (she's not even the only queen who could do it!)

I agree but that final two felt pretty destined to me. I enjoyed it over all and I think the right winner won so I'm not complaining too much, even if the final lip synch felt kinda low energy to me. All the finale looks were great too! I loved Salina's the most of the non-final 4, Luxx's ballerina take was probably my fave of the final 4 but I also really loved Sasha's shades of My Fair Lady look. Overall it was a solid red carpet.

For toxic fandoms of the pre-widespread social media age y'all can't sleep on Smallville. Someone give the guy who played Lexx a box of sex toys at con. There were also more people than you'd expect faking their deaths for merch and money back in the day too.

I was super in to Visual-Kei as a teen and folks on the English speaking side also go instensely weird. A whole lotta death conspiracy theories and at least one person who got kicked out of Japan for stalking Gackt.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I hate the S14/S15 finale format, just Eurovision semi-final losing songs that don't have any influence into a VERY short lip sync. These queens made the most out of them but it would've been such a great LSFTC. That being said, I can't wait for my favourite drag queen's favourite drag queen's reign.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The finale has reliably become a particular kind of spectacle that is Peak Current Version of Drag Race, which I simultaneously enjoy as the ultra queer cross between the Super Bowl and the Oscars and loathe as an overedited overcontrolled media product. (So. An awards show.)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just started watching this this season but my friends tell me this was par for the course in terms of the finales being kind of underwhelming. I kind of (not really) get why they do the pre-record of both winners for secret keeping purposes but watching her win you could def tell Sasha was having to act "you won" instead of actually genuinely winning, which is a bummer to watch.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Their choice is either prerecorded or live at this point, and the finale took like nine hours to film, largely because one of the backup dancers was injured in a number and they had to rechoreograph the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

There was also some drama back in...Season 4, I believe? Where Perez Hilton somehow found out who won and "leaked" it before the finale actually aired, or something.