Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i only followed a link to ogrish one time in high school and the few seconds of that video I actually watched still live rent free in my head 25 years later

This is, in part, why I have been getting ukraine updates itt, since gore has been very well tagged and warned from the beginning, even when mainstream news outlets had bodies in the street in bucha etc. front and center above the fold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spankmeister posted:

The kind of poo poo these people believe is completely wild. Entire underground wars being fought without anyone knowing about it.

look if this is your way of telling me that the finno-korean hyperwar never happened then i'm just gonna stop you right there pal

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

20 years ago, I met my wife deep underground in a Finnish tunnel.

I said, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

the popes toes posted:

20 years ago, I met my wife deep underground in a Finnish tunnel.

I said, "What the hell are you doing here?"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So hey remember those Finnish morons who got charged with doing some light treason for Russia's benefit? And how before getting in bed with Putin's PR trumpet they were really into "the tunnel war"? Well, a friend looked into it and this is literally what it's about :

These are the guys carrying water for Putin and his illegal war. Just the finest people. The best guys.

E: remarkable how the world's most immense piss babies, like Putin, Trump and Jinping, are always the hidden super heroes in these assholes' fantasies.

:wtc:
This is somehow even more insane than some of the wildest Qanon fantasies i've seen, gently caress

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
You guys clearly dug too greedily and too deep.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Scam Likely posted:

Not gonna lie it probably took me years to recover psychologically from the stuff I'd see on Rotten dot com back in high school. Of course, I didn't know it at the time, but that stuff definitely hosed me up permanently.

Yeah that stuff isn't for me. I can watch OSHA stuff all day, because there's stuff to learn there, stuff that if you hadn't seen it you wouldn't believe it would be possible for it to even happen, so if something similar would happen to me I would 100% catch it on the nose if I hadn't watched the OSHA stuff first, so I consider that potential accidents preempted. But that other stuff is just pointless suffering for no reason, or at least no reason I can appreciate. Like beheading videos by ISIS or the Russians or whomever. I'm sure the dipshits who decided to document their atrocities and broadcast them to the world had a point in mind, but I'm hella not participating in that. My sincere condolences and sympathy to the victims of their arbitrary cruelty, but I have nothing to add to the analyses nor any judicial process, and will 100% absolutely leave the witnessing to professionals who can do something about it; like catalog it, correlate it, make a case, and in the end do something about it, and gently caress everyone and their genocide enthusiast friends that would paint that up as "snitching" or "cringe".

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

As a teenager with unfettered access to newsgroups and weird sites in the mid 90's , it left me quite jaded to the horrible side of people for quite some time well into my 20's

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Scam Likely posted:

Not gonna lie it probably took me years to recover psychologically from the stuff I'd see on Rotten dot com back in high school. Of course, I didn't know it at the time, but that stuff definitely hosed me up permanently.

The world is a brutal place. Pretending like it isn’t doesnt change the reality of our existence. You may not be cut out for it, frankly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lil poopendorfer posted:

The world is a brutal place. Pretending like it isn’t doesnt change the reality of our existence. You may not be cut out for it, frankly.

sorry about your mental illness

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

lil poopendorfer posted:

gently caress is wrong with you?

Edit: lol at post history

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don’t (didn’t) even like seeing the news reports of people in orange jumpsuits in ISIS videos and I recall going out to dinner and seeing the news have still photos of Jihad John or whatever and it kind of souring my night. I have been alive long enough to see the horrors of what humans can do to other humans in the name of insane ideologies and I don’t need to see that any more. It kills the soul, in the most literal way that can be possible. That’s why I am happy with this thread (and so are the mods and admins) with how well it has conducted and policed itself.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1647320556952342530

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

lil poopendorfer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzTg7amJZh4

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

lil poopendorfer posted:

Yeah i get you man when I get the wrong order at sonic it really shows how cutthroat the world is

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
"Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" is a horrific mindset to have on an individual but especially on a societal wide basis. That's how you get poo poo like "cocks" and whatnot.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

lil poopendorfer posted:

A "harden the gently caress up" post? In *my* forum?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Ronwayne posted:

"Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" is a horrific mindset to have on an individual but especially on a societal wide basis. That's how you get poo poo like "cocks" and whatnot.

Wait cocks are bad now?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao you made a post so bad even rust dunked on you for it, truly tragic

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
I'm convinced a lot of America's dysfunction in the 21st century is directly attributable to 9/11 and watching it live on TV. A lot of news stations were actually showing footage, both day-of and in the weeks afterward, not just of burning buildings but of people falling from the top floors.

Seeing violence changes you, and it can make you say and do all kinds of hosed up things.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

lil poopendorfer posted:

We all come from broken homes, broken hearts and broken bones (Ken Bone)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

capitalcomma posted:

I'm convinced a lot of America's dysfunction in the 21st century is directly attributable to 9/11 and watching it live on TV. A lot of news stations were actually showing footage, both day-of and in the weeks afterward, not just of burning buildings but of people falling from the top floors.

Seeing violence changes you, and it can make you say and do all kinds of hosed up things.

i was an 11 year old 6th grader arriving for homeroom and walked in time just to see thousands of people get murdered on tv because the teacher wheeled out the big CRT tv cart and had CNN going. 22 years later, you all have to endure my posting.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Karate Bastard posted:

We all come from broken homes, broken hearts and broken bones (Ken Bone)

We all came from beautiful human submarines

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

We all came from beautiful human submarines

Can't argue with facts

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
To get things back on topic, the Munich Security Conference has released the final results of Russia's winter offensive:

They gained: 0.2% additional territory

They lost: five digit casualties and associated equipment

Here's some more:

quote:

Russia's army "didn't succeed in its winter offensive," says defense expert Nico Lange in an interview. The course of the war shows that the Russian army is weaker than assumed. What does this mean for Ukraine's partners?

tagesschau.de: These days people keep saying that the Russian winter offensive has failed. What are the signs?

Nico Lange: So far in this war, Russia has not been able to achieve any of its military goals. And Russia did not succeed in the winter offensive either. We know of very high losses on the Russian side. But Russia, despite huge months of effort, is struggling to capture even smaller cities like Bakhmut and Avdiivka and is far from making any kind of strategic progress. This winter offensive was unsuccessful.

tagesschau.de: What do you see as the main reason why the Russians did not achieve these goals?

Nico Lange is Senior Fellow of the Munich Security Conference’s “Zeitwende” initiative. From 2019-2022 he was head of the management staff at the Federal Ministry of Defence. Lange previously lived and worked in Ukraine and Russia for a long time, he is fluent in Ukrainian and Russian.

quote:

"Correcting Mythical Ideas"
Lange: There is a myth that Russia is infinitely strong and that the Ukrainians will be hopelessly inferior once the Russians really get going. But we can see that the reality of this war is different. Russia is weaker than many assumed.

The procedure during this winter offensive, throwing masses of infantry to the front and trying to conquer further Ukrainian territory with high losses, obviously achieved little. During the past few months of the Russian offensive, Russia was able to conquer an additional 0.02 percent of Ukrainian territory - and at five-digit losses.

Basically, Russia must ask itself what else it can achieve in this war - apart from continuing it and suffering high losses. For us, it is a reminder to correct the mythical image of Russia's strength and Ukraine's weakness. A defense against this Russian war of aggression is militarily possible.

quote:

"Russia doesn't have a lot of resources up its sleeve"
tagesschau.de: In Bachmut, Russia relies heavily on the mercenaries of the Wagner troupe, suffering great losses. Does this indicate that the army leadership is conserving its resources for further fighting in the spring?

Lange: Russia is certainly thinking about a possible counter-offensive by Ukraine. But I don't get the impression that Russia has big resources in reserve. I don't see why Russia should do that either. It is a great failure for Putin not to have made even small conquests that he could exploit internally for propaganda purposes.

What we see is the current capabilities of the Russian armed forces. It's not nearly as high as many thought. The fact that Russia cannot use its air force, for example, as it did over Syria, is not because the aircraft are being held somewhere in reserve, but because Russia has never established air sovereignty, and because the Ukrainian air defense has been constantly improving and that in a long war, Russia has major problems with the wear and tear and maintenance of its own aircraft.

quote:

"Ukrainian approach seems to be working"
tagesschau.de: At the same time, a spring offensive by the Ukrainians is expected. To what extent have Western arms deliveries in recent months improved Ukraine's options?

Lange: Ukraine's basic approach seems to be working, holding the front line against the Russian attacks and at the same time forming new units, equipping them with the armored personnel carriers and main battle tanks that were delivered late but then did, and training them.

It is now a question of these units continuing to practice so that they can use the different weapon systems effectively at the same time in a coordinated manner. You have to practice and that takes time. Once the Ukrainian units have completed these exercises, they have a good chance of breaking through the current front line with a counter-offensive and liberating other areas.

quote:

"Europeans too slow in ammunition production"
tagesschau.de: The US Department of Defense is said to be skeptical about the Ukrainian army's ability to carry out an offensive - that's how it was read in documents from the most recent data leak in the US, mainly because of deficits in the air defense system. How serious do you think these shortcomings are?

Lange: The leaked documents are apparently from the beginning of March, the status shown there is from February. So this is not the latest. About the shortcomings of air defense, we already knew before. Ukraine has already received some air defense systems, but the new ones are only arriving gradually - so it takes a while before they are operational.

And above all, there is a lack of ammunition for these air defense systems. Better solutions must also be found so that cheap drones, which the Russians use en masse, are not shot down with expensive guided missiles. At the same time, ammunition production must be increased - in Germany and at Ukraine's partners as a whole. My impression is that Ukraine's European partners in particular are too slow here.

quote:

"Putin is aiming to continue the war aimlessly"
tagesschau.de: If we are already experiencing the maximum of what the Russians can do militarily, is Putin then primarily relying on the time factor?

Lange: Putin is too weak militarily to achieve anything in Ukraine. That's why he's now hoping to just continue this war aimlessly, so that political opportunities might open up for him over time. He is counting on domestic political conflicts playing a greater role again in Ukraine. He hopes for growing disunity in the West, possibly also conflicts in the transatlantic relationship.

It is part of Putin's strategy that the West ultimately pushes Ukraine harder to make compromises or concessions. That is why it is so important to clearly rely on military support for Ukraine and to give it the military means not only to put itself in a better position, but also to liberate its own people who are under Russian occupation and oppression.

Ukrainians do not want to make concessions, because then they would have to leave their relatives and compatriots in Russian oppression. For us, this means that we must not only organize military support for Ukraine sporadically, but systematically and over the long term - and expand it further. This is the best way to come to peace.

quote:

"Take Macron at his word"
tagesschau.de: What role does the disagreement between Europeans about their security and defense policy and their relationship with the USA play for Russia here, which has only just become clear through statements by French President Emmanuel Macron?

Lange: Putin will view with great interest any conflicts or tensions in the transatlantic relationship or between partners who are currently supporting Ukraine. He will consider how to capitalize on this and fuel divisions.

As for Macron, you have to take anyone who wants to operate on an equal footing with the Americans at their word. For France and the EU states, this means providing as much or even more military support for Ukraine than the USA. The Europeans must do more to secure NATO's eastern flank, which is also the EU's external border, for example by stationing troops permanently. It doesn't go together to talk about European independence, but then not to do what is necessary in terms of security and defense.

quote:

"It's not enough to conjure up more commitment in the abstract"
tagesschau.de: France's military aid to Ukraine is well behind the contribution of other countries.

Lange: France is doing too little. The question of what the industrially stronger nations in Europe are doing is crucial to Ukraine's continued military support. And those are Germany and France, but also Italy and Spain.

In my view, these countries must do more, especially if they want to act on an equal footing with the Americans. Incidentally, this also applies to those who warn of a possible return of Trump to the office of US President. It is not enough to swear in abstract terms that the Europeans must do more; concrete decisions must now be taken to counteract the risks to European security with more European resources of our own.

Overall, seems to be a very positive outlook for Ukraine in the near to medium term as far as I can make it.

Russian losses as of 4/15:

Edit: and something cool, Ukraine's most famous sculptor has started making art using shrapnel and other bomb fragment remains:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/15/michael-reva-ukrainian-sculptor-putin-war

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 15, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

3.6 Roentgen worth to tank losses. Not great, not terrible. I'm told its like getting a chest Xray.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Karate Bastard posted:

What's your Game here, Xenocides, and is this part of any scheme to End it?

No, we had a scheme to wipe out humanity but realized the best solution is to just sit back and watch. That picture though deserves to exist forever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Von Pluring posted:

You guys clearly dug too greedily and too deep.

"A Balrog..."

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
A ball rag.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

A ballbag

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Igor Strelkov posted:

Did I understand correctly that the Black Clown directly called for the rejection from the Russian Federation of half of the Donetsk People's Republic, the capital and a third of the territory of the Zaporozhye region, surrendered during the "difficult decision" of Kherson? I wonder if someone will write a statement to the prosecutor's office against him? The question is rhetorical ... "this call - whose call is needed."
Strelkov is none too happy at Prigozhin's suggestion that Russia "declare victory" and gently caress off back home. He openly wants him prosecuted for it.
https://t.me/strelkovii/4546

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Today's update here seems to corroborate that Wagner is basically drained. Obviously could be slanted journalism but they actually watch all the footage that we don't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfwX7CE248M

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Coming soon to a theater near you...

https://imgur.com/a/1kQcri8

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Wait cocks are bad now?

"cocks" are the lowest caste in the Russian prison system, it's bad for them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Today's update here seems to corroborate that Wagner is basically drained. Obviously could be slanted journalism but they actually watch all the footage that we don't:

That would certainly tie up with prigozhins sudden change of heart that the war is bad now and they should go home.

Much like putins colon after a fall, wagner is empty.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zone posted:

Strelkov is none too happy at Prigozhin's suggestion that Russia "declare victory" and gently caress off back home. He openly wants him prosecuted for it.
https://t.me/strelkovii/4546

Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man as both are dragged off by secret police

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:siren: Quick PSA:

There is currently an open SAD thread on moderation guidelines for violent imagery.

As the discussed rule is basically enforced in GBS already, especially in this thread, some of you might want to participate in the ongoing discussion.

As usual, please do not post about it here. Thanks!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Toxic Mental posted:

Ah poo poo I read the comments:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Ah poo poo I read the comments:

Kyiv was a feint. Just imagine if Russia had fielded their actual elite VDV assault units. The inertia of the campaign would been so great they would only have come to a stop in as they ran out of ground in Lisbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Well of course the real VDV were fighting the secret tunnel war against Satan (your immortal souls are welcome by the way).