Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I have never beaten the memory game and I never will.

I just smash my way through the memory game with my characters lifeless body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
(ignore, wrong botan)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frank Frank posted:

I was being incredibly careful because I was operating under the assumption that if I died, it was game over. If I had t gotten tangled up in a menu and unable to heal, I would have been fine.

That said, I died twice more immediately afterwards in the final ascendency trial before I figured out the gimmick. I’m playing blind* and honestly having a pretty good time with it.

(*blind in the sense that I don’t know any of the fights / story. I didn’t come up with my own build and there are a ton of mechanics I haven’t even seen yet let alone understand)

You're playing Righteous Fire, right? This is my third League now and I did RF for my first one and it's nice because there are a ton of mechanics you don't need to understand. I found it a great starter build because even though it's a little weird you have only a handful of stats to actually focus on, and it makes the boring "eat your vegetables" stats like resistance & +life actually scale your damage which feels great. Defensive stats are going to be important for any character you build, but it's a lot more fun when they contribute directly to your DPS and it instills some good habits in you for future characters.

As far as dying goes, I'll do my best to give you a quick primer -- in Acts 1-5 it just slows you down a little, but the one thing to note is that if you die in a Labyrinth, it kicks you out to the start, and that feels pretty bad. That's basically your first major incentive not to die all the time. Starting in Act 6, you'll lose 5% of whatever the total XP required to get to the next level is every time you die, which stings a little, but XP flows pretty freely in the campaign and it's not devastating.

Once you get into the post-game (real game) dying works similarly but the penalty is bumped up to 10% XP which can be a really significant chunk when you're leveling from 90-100. Dying is pretty bad at that point and you don't want to do it; those extra skill points from leveling are one of the few "guaranteed" power boosts once you're set up for endgame and it's very easy to wipe out quite a bit of progress by dying over and over. While it's not the end of the world if you're not playing Hardcore, it's very good to get in the habit of not dying often and avoiding situations that will gently caress you up.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Cretin90 posted:

I've been playing since betrayal and I've never slotted a maven invite into my map device. I pay a noble soul to bear me in their big strong arms through that vile witch's trials every league

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

goferchan posted:

Stuff about death penalties

Important to note here, dying can't delevel you. So save all your dangerous poo poo (boss invites etc) for right after you level up, then you can die as many times as you like have portals.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm following this guide: https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/boneshatter-slayer-league-starter-guide

And here's where I'm currently at: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/bardeh/characters?characterName=Tinwhistle

I can mostly comfortably clear Tier 7 and 8 maps, as long as I don't get horrible mods when I alch them, but I'm having issues with some bosses, and most Essence mobs. Most guides seem to say speccing into Essences on the Atlas tree is a good way to make a bit of extra passive income, but whatever I've done to them, they now murder me like 75% of the time when I release them.

It's frustrating because what my experience mostly seems to be is I'll happily be Leap Slamming my way through a map, deleting everything comfortably, then will die instantly to something or other that I'm usually not aware of.

I feel like my damage is fine, but my survivability isn't enough to keep up. I tried a few Tier 10 maps and only managed to finish one - the others I had to give up on after I'd lost pretty much a whole level's worth of xp.

The guide has been good until now, but trying to puzzle out where I should go from here is confusing me. I have 60 Chaos and various other stuff I could probably convert into plenty more - what's the easiest and fastest way to improve my survivability a bit?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The memory game is like a wow raid mechanic and I guess I can do it due to years of masochistic raiding

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Neither have I, I just facetank it instead

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bardeh posted:

I'm following this guide: https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/boneshatter-slayer-league-starter-guide

And here's where I'm currently at: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/bardeh/characters?characterName=Tinwhistle

I can mostly comfortably clear Tier 7 and 8 maps, as long as I don't get horrible mods when I alch them, but I'm having issues with some bosses, and most Essence mobs. Most guides seem to say speccing into Essences on the Atlas tree is a good way to make a bit of extra passive income, but whatever I've done to them, they now murder me like 75% of the time when I release them.

It's frustrating because what my experience mostly seems to be is I'll happily be Leap Slamming my way through a map, deleting everything comfortably, then will die instantly to something or other that I'm usually not aware of.

I feel like my damage is fine, but my survivability isn't enough to keep up. I tried a few Tier 10 maps and only managed to finish one - the others I had to give up on after I'd lost pretty much a whole level's worth of xp.

The guide has been good until now, but trying to puzzle out where I should go from here is confusing me. I have 60 Chaos and various other stuff I could probably convert into plenty more - what's the easiest and fastest way to improve my survivability a bit?

your gem setups are not what the guide tells you to do. you have no cwdt-molten shell which is a big deal. you have no blood rage or berserk. one ring has zero life and your boots are actual dogshit.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The final phase of the memory game always gets me. There is way too much visual pollution in that fight and I often miss which sections even lit up to begin with, let alone attempt to replicate it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

goferchan posted:

You're playing Righteous Fire, right?

No, I’m a poison blade vortex assassin guy. Blade vortex with deadly ailments support using plague bearer and withering step to do silly amounts of damage while I feverishly hammer the skill button because I don’t have unleash yet.

The only thing I wish I had known before I started was that I needed to beeline for Poison on Hit immediately rather than leaning on a chance to poison support gem.

I’m in the middle of act 3 currently and just killed some mob in the temple that was like a loot piñata for gems so I’m going to go sort through those now.

Thanks for the death info. I still am not sure where I got the idea that I death = game over.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Maybe thinking of how D2 hardcore mode works?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

your gem setups are not what the guide tells you to do. you have no cwdt-molten shell which is a big deal. you have no blood rage or berserk. one ring has zero life and your boots are actual dogshit.

thanks, I bought some new boots and got the molten shell gems set up and it's made a significant difference.

I'm in a map and Maven is at the boss fight - I died and now I can't get back into the boss area for some reason, there are 2 bosses seemingly fighting each other forever and I don't know how to get back up there. Anyone know what's up?

E: its the cold river map and it appears to be a bug based on 2-year old posts I've seen when I google :sigh:

E2: whoa one of these just dropped which appears to be worth 3 divine? if so that's the first decent thing I've had in like 50 hours

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 15, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bardeh posted:

E2: whoa one of these just dropped which appears to be worth 3 divine? if so that's the first decent thing I've had in like 50 hours

Yeah that's a core item for Poison SRS which is a pretty high-budget build. Hold onto it if that's something you're interested in playing, otherwise that's a sweet payday. Grats!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah id reroll off boneshatter to poison SRS if i had that poo poo, poison srs is bonkers and that chest is what really pushes it into the stratosphere

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

queeb posted:

yeah id reroll off boneshatter to poison SRS if i had that poo poo, poison srs is bonkers and that chest is what really pushes it into the stratosphere

Yes I agree with this as well.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm crushing t16s as poison srs to the point where I just blindly take every expedition altar and exarch/eater altar without even looking at the downsides (aside from immune to chaos obviously), and I don't even have a covenant yet. Shock immune, freeze immune, near max block/spell block, 11k armor before flasks, max chaos res, 4.5k HP, and ridiculous single target damage. I love it.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Throwing in Flesh Offering to go faster is real fun, but occasionally something reminds you that you're missing half your block.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I sold it. Very unlikely I'll have the patience to go through the levelling process again.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Wilekat posted:

Throwing in Flesh Offering to go faster is real fun, but occasionally something reminds you that you're missing half your block.

only if you are necro - poison srs jugg/champ/guard is completely viable albeit jank as gently caress

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
could I get an invite to the guild on character thaihot tia

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Papercut posted:

I'm crushing t16s as poison srs to the point where I just blindly take every expedition altar and exarch/eater altar without even looking at the downsides (aside from immune to chaos obviously), and I don't even have a covenant yet. Shock immune, freeze immune, near max block/spell block, 11k armor before flasks, max chaos res, 4.5k HP, and ridiculous single target damage. I love it.

It’s the best. I don’t think it has a down side. No explosions maybe

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

You can set your AG to do explodes with asenaths

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

It’s the best. I don’t think it has a down side. No explosions maybe

Yeah it's clear is not amazing, although I also don't like doing any gem swaps so I don't swap into melee splash. I weirdly struggle in incursions and legion with it because of the ramp up time.

e:

queeb posted:

You can set your AG to do explodes with asenaths

Oh I haven't set my AG up yet, need to buy a chest for it but yeah I'm gonna go asenath/windscream

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm working my way through pf toxic rain totems, and going to farm some currency to swap into scourge arrow totems, vengeance cascade is really good on them apparently, and Pathfinder totem builds are so cozy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah forgot the gem swap for pSRS

That is one mark against it.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

queeb posted:

I'm working my way through pf toxic rain totems, and going to farm some currency to swap into scourge arrow totems, vengeance cascade is really good on them apparently, and Pathfinder totem builds are so cozy

Vengeant Cascade is basically Your Thorn Pods Hit Twice for SA, but the trick is you want between 50 and 70% proj speed, otherwise the arrows won't return before despawning

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Anyone who has transitioned to full endgame gear for BS jugg care to share their gearing journey?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a handy guide to "So now you've made it to maps" that covers things like farming gear upgrades, beginners' crafting, and generally what kind of things you're supposed to be doing to improve your character after the campaign? I've seen build guides touch on it but I am like, completely absolutely stupid about this game even after 90 hours and need my hand held.

No 6-hour-long YouTube videos please (I am not kidding about seeing this)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there a handy guide to "So now you've made it to maps" that covers things like farming gear upgrades, beginners' crafting, and generally what kind of things you're supposed to be doing to improve your character after the campaign? I've seen build guides touch on it but I am like, completely absolutely stupid about this game even after 90 hours and need my hand held.

Max roll has a guide for atlas progression: https://maxroll.gg/poe/getting-started/atlas-explained

Depending upon your build, there might be some information about how to work on gear upgrades. What are you playing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

Max roll has a guide for atlas progression: https://maxroll.gg/poe/getting-started/atlas-explained

Depending upon your build, there might be some information about how to work on gear upgrades. What are you playing?

I started this league aiming for Holy Flicker Strike Necro but found that spamming SRS is more my speed so I respecced to SRS Bomber (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2995833) at level 72.

I'm sure I'm leaving equipment upgrades on the ground because I have no clue what I should be picking up to craft on.

I'll read that guide, thanks.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Once you make it to the end of the campaign, the first thing you normally want to do is make sure your resists are capped at 75% or higher (C --> defenses tab). Gear can have 3 prefixes & 3 suffixes on it, so usually you can throw it into the crafting bench in your hideout and craft some resists on it to make sure you reach this goal, as long as it has an open slot. (Resists are suffixes, +life is a prefix.) Crafted life is going to be almost always worse than a natural t1 or t2 life roll on the item, but it's a good place to start.

Then you usually want to also make sure all your pieces have +life on it (although some builds don't want this and will use energy shield or something instead, but it's a good rule of thumb). If your resists are fine and your gear has an open prefix and no life roll on it, you can craft a bit of that as well.

If you're in trade you can also usually find a ton of really cheap (1c) upgrades - for a beginner I'd search for a relatively high life roll (60+, depends on the gear slot) and resists, and then maybe throw in an offensive mod in there as well. I'd also recommend getting a 5L or 6L to slot your main skill into. Since it's no longer the first few days of the league this should be relatively cheap - like 5C for a 6L. You'll usually want to search for the right colors and grab whatever has some decent stats on it while you're starting out, as usually the added link(s) will do more for you than proper stats will, at least in white maps. If you're playing in trade you could probably just ask a goon to sponsor you if you didn't get enough random chaos drops during campaign or whatever.

After that it really depends more and more on your build. There are usually dozens of different ways to upgrade your gear. Essence crafting is a good way to dip into crafting and get some stuff done. Essences are like targeted chaos rerolls which guarantee one (out of six) mods - so you can ensure you have a high ilfe roll, or a chaos resist, or a particular attribute, or a particular damage mod, etc. Usually you can pair this with a fractured mod (these mods are usually in beige, and they don't change no matter how you otherwise craft or scour the item, so that + essence crafting guarantees two mods!). Sometimes you can buy fractured bases for pretty cheap to then craft on top of, if you don't want to buy items flat out. I would say it gets increasingly more complex from there on out though.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Anyone do an actual bow build this league that they liked? Not really looking at TR or EA.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I've been enjoying Vaal Ice Shot, but it's a Mathil build with lower defenses than is healthy, so keep that in mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnPsqX5YwVY

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So this is a really stupid question but I just finished the labyrinth (hooray) and chose Assassin as my class. It says I have 2 ascendency points but I can't for the life of me figure out where or how to spend them. Looking at the ascendency altar, it shows all the skills I can pick but won't let me choose any of them. Do I access the ascendency skills some other way?

E: nm I just found it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Congrats, you found all the passive trees in the campaign.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 15, 2023

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

Insurrectionist posted:

Would love some tips for my Manabond character if anyone has the time! https://pobb.in/YBl4krj2GDpp I should be using Culling Strike in my 6L, I just got sick of trying to color it and stuffed awakened controlled destruction in there instead. Since it gets Unnerve on for Manabond + improves Arc clearing it shouldn't be a huge deal outside endgame bosses anyway, and I don't have enough crit to feel comfortable throwing it on my Manabond.
  • Is there a good way to improve my mana leech? Cyclone is doing so little damage it's nowhere near maxing my leech/second, which is annoying.
  • Speaking of leech, anyone know if the new instant leech mastery is worth getting for ES leech in this build? This one I can try myself but cool to hear if anyone knows.
  • What's the best way to get more status immunities/avoidance besides a Corrupted Blood jewel? I have actually run into some rough non-CB bleeds so haven't prioritized it over flasks at all. I have an amethyst flask with poison immune for the right fights, but things like ailments, basically any DOT, slows etc are quite annoying and probably the majority of danger I face.

Ideas for what to look for in upgrades would be nice too, I am nowhere near having enough for stuff like flame/flesh or squire. Could probably get a Split Personality if I spent all my currency on it, but not sure that would be worth it. I have multiple Mjölners sitting in my stash waiting for Crucible to improve/me to start finding the energy to give a poo poo about it - the fact that Mjölner seems to roll primarily attack-based mods doesn't help.

I've started using a mana flask as detailed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvQqzIUqnZA&t=1s instead of running mana leech, plus using lightning warp instead of arc. It definitely feels way faster for mapping, you can just hold down right click and teleport around deleting packs. I am still running Stampede tho so the teleporting helps with the lack of movespeed.
The key is to use arcane cloak, wait 3-4 seconds and then I mash the mana flask 3-4 times. This will generally cause my mana to hit full right as cloak is coming back off CD, which pretty much solves mana problems. This is enough for 99% of the fights, assuming I don't accidentally grab an altar that gives less flask charges or something.

Ailments are tough still tho, I have one of my flasks for bleed immunity and then run the ignite/burning ground lesser pantheon, and hope my 50% chaos res helps mitigate poisons mostly.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

my league softcore guy is late act 3. I wanna give a shout out to poem and others in the guild who have helped me out. the guild features are very friendly toward helping each other via gear and dedicated chat.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Fister Roboto posted:

Cretin90 posted:

ROUND TWO!

I have, for the first time ever....made it through the last memory game without dying! I got lucky though - my DPS is high enough that floor wasn't covered in poo poo, and the order was "just go in a circle". I actually did all 3 without dying. I still had 2 other deaths.

I also did Sirus deathless.

My secret to both was simply to have like 10mil more dps than last time, as well as some more spell suppression (still not much - was 10, now 22, gonna buy a gem that gets me to 38 that I can swap in as needed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just concluded my first attempt at endgame crafting using a guide someone mentioned in chat late last night. About 10div all in.