Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

While it's a ridiculous provision, "injuring the genitals" of a child under 12 as part of gender treatment is not a common or accepted practice. That part of the law is a(n unconstitutional) solution in search of a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mellow Seas posted:

While it's a ridiculous provision, "injuring the genitals" of a child under 12 as part of gender treatment is not a common or accepted practice. That part of the law is a(n unconstitutional) solution in search of a problem.

They will just say that puberty blockers injure the sexual organs. I'm not sure why people continue to downplay the risk when multiple states are preparing to effectively ban transgender people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it may be ridiculous and unscientific but do you want to be a doctor arguing the point in court?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it's bad because it's bad when a group is being obviously targeted by laws, even if, as in this case, the law clearly does nothing.

If you're at the point of "giving a child a pill" is "sexual battery" then words mean nothing. If somebody was sentenced to life in prison (or death) for giving their kid puberty blockers it would be a huge, huge story, and also completely implausible for it to not be defeated at some level appeal (even this SCOTUS would not allow that under the 8th, not a chance. And if it comes up, :toxx:)

This law is there to intimidate parents and doctors. That's a huge problem, but nobody is going to get sentenced to death for having a trans kid, and I think we shouldn't really act like they might because it just makes the bill's intended function - to intimidate - more effective.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mellow Seas posted:

This law is there to intimidate parents and doctors. That's a huge problem, but nobody is going to get sentenced to death for having a trans kid, and I think we shouldn't really act like they might because it just makes the bill's intended function - to intimidate - more effective.
Nobody will be executed because of this bill. However, it is still absolutely a step towards a situation where that does occur. It shifts the window. If I may :godwin:, think of 1930s Germany. The Kristallnacht and the later Holocaust were the product of years of slowly increasing the temperature - the first several years under a liberal democratic system.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cat botherer posted:

Nobody will be executed because of this bill. However, it is still absolutely a step towards a situation where that does occur. It shifts the window. If I may :godwin:, think of 1930s Germany. The Kristallnacht and the later Holocaust were the product of years of slowly increasing the temperature - the first several years under a liberal democratic system.
Totally acceptable and appropriate :godwin:. I mean, I am still optimistic that we will not reach that point, but if we did then yes, I agree this would certainly be a big a symbolic step on that journey. It's definitely very worrying; I don't want to give the impression that this is remotely okay.

e: Speaking of :godwin: I am not an expert on any of the subject matter involved but wasn't the previous apex of trans acceptance in the western world in the Weimar Republican? I mean, I mostly pieced that together from watching "Transparent" and my scattered knowledge of Cabaret, a musical I've never actually seen, so maybe I'm off base. But I find the parallel worrying.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 15, 2023

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Even the billionaire donors are starting to get sick of DeSantis and the horrible poo poo going on in Florida. Per the FT this morning:

quote:

Top Republican donor Thomas Peterffy is halting plans to help finance the US presidential bid of Florida governor Ron DeSantis due to his extreme positions on social issues.

“I have put myself on hold,” the billionaire told the Financial Times.

“Because of his stance on abortion and book banning . . . myself, and a bunch of friends, are holding our powder dry.”

In January, Peterffy told the FT that he was a fan of DeSantis and was “looking forward” to backing a presidential bid by the governor.

But now, he says: “I am more reluctant to back him. We are waiting to see who among the primary candidates is most likely to be able to win the general, and then put all of our firepower behind them.”

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Hopefully he settles into the uncanny valley of not enough carny charisma to attract the MAGA Festival crowd, but enough ineffective stable genius cosplay to turn off number go up billionaires.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
They can already smell the loser in him

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We don't even need to leave the plain language of the proposed bill to realize this is stupid as poo poo. Should someone get the death penalty for kicking a 10 year old in the nuts?

Sure, they should absolutely be arrested for battery because holy poo poo what is wrong with that person, but the death penalty?

Does any crime except first degree murder or treason carry the death penalty anywhere in the US right now?

The death penalty is abhorrent, full stop. I worry that starting from the point of the most egregiously terrible things this bill could do immediately cedes ground on all the other things that are still bad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Quixzlizx posted:

Hopefully he settles into the uncanny valley of not enough carny charisma to attract the MAGA Festival crowd, but enough ineffective stable genius cosplay to turn off number go up billionaires.

He was never going for a charisma build, even he knows he ain't got it. He's trying to be the craziest social issue warrior in the race to try and become the darling of the Christian Right. At the same time he's trying to do it in boring enough ghoul way that he can viably be the Trump alternative. The bet he's making is that all the other clowns flame out when Ronnie and Donny split 70% of the vote in the early states.

As far as Republican plans to beat Trump in a primary, it's probably about as good as it gets. It still operates under a false assumption that the Evangelicals actually believe in anything at all politically. However aside from hoping a lifetime of terrible life decisions finally catch up with McDonalds' Favorite President, there's really not much to strategically work with in a primary field greater than 2 people.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

KillHour posted:

We don't even need to leave the plain language of the proposed bill to realize this is stupid as poo poo. Should someone get the death penalty for kicking a 10 year old in the nuts?

Sure, they should absolutely be arrested for battery because holy poo poo what is wrong with that person, but the death penalty?

Does any crime except first degree murder or treason carry the death penalty anywhere in the US right now?

The death penalty is abhorrent, full stop. I worry that starting from the point of the most egregiously terrible things this bill could do immediately cedes ground on all the other things that are still bad.

Felony murder is the biggest one - you partcipated in a felony but you were not the one who did the actual murdering. Example would be particpating in a bank robbery, and one of your co-conspiritors killed someone, you would be charged with felony murder.

Rape of a child, or second conviction of rape, but no one has actually been executed for those laws.

Also just a smattering of different laws in different states: treason, drug trafficking, airline hijacking, placing a bomb near a bus terminal, agravated kidnapping, and aggravated assault by "incarcerated, persistant felons, or murderers." Several states have laws on the books for these and other crimes but have either absoutely abolished the death penelty ( New Mexico ) or removed some of them ( treason no longer carries the death penelty in Illinois, for instance. )

There are also federal crimes, but no one is currently on death row for any of them ( espinoge, treason, trafficking in large quanyies of drugs, and either killing or conspiring to kill officers, jurours, or witnesses of "continual criminal enterprises" )

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

beerinator posted:

The Trump Hotel a few blocks away has multiple kitchens in it. If they needed food, they could have gotten food. Trump just loves fast food and assumed college kids did too.

They do.

From all accounts, the athletes loving loved all that McDonalds food and RWM used that to defend Trump in a "what's so wrong about that? I don't see the problem here." sort of way. I heard a few people talking about it in this vein and I was always like "If you don't see why the President of the United States serving all that lovely food on White House china is funny, I don't know what to tell you".

The photo of it alone just reeked of low rent, white trash, bourjois hilarity - and Trump's proud, smug smile just made it even funnier - but the kids who were invited literally ate that poo poo up and didn't mind it at all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twincityhacker posted:

Felony murder is the biggest one - you partcipated in a felony but you were not the one who did the actual murdering. Example would be particpating in a bank robbery, and one of your co-conspiritors killed someone, you would be charged with felony murder.

Rape of a child, or second conviction of rape, but no one has actually been executed for those laws.

Also just a smattering of different laws in different states: treason, drug trafficking, airline hijacking, placing a bomb near a bus terminal, agravated kidnapping, and aggravated assault by "incarcerated, persistant felons, or murderers." Several states have laws on the books for these and other crimes but have either absoutely abolished the death penelty ( New Mexico ) or removed some of them ( treason no longer carries the death penelty in Illinois, for instance. )

There are also federal crimes, but no one is currently on death row for any of them ( espinoge, treason, trafficking in large quanyies of drugs, and either killing or conspiring to kill officers, jurours, or witnesses of "continual criminal enterprises" )

This is fascinating but also terrifying. I hate it here.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Twincityhacker posted:

You can also be charged with felony murder if one of your co criminals is killed

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

They do.

From all accounts, the athletes loving loved all that McDonalds food and RWM used that to defend Trump in a "what's so wrong about that? I don't see the problem here." sort of way. I heard a few people talking about it in this vein and I was always like "If you don't see why the President of the United States serving all that lovely food on White House china is funny, I don't know what to tell you".

The photo of it alone just reeked of low rent, white trash, bourjois hilarity - and Trump's proud, smug smile just made it even funnier - but the kids who were invited literally ate that poo poo up and didn't mind it at all.
I recall reading several accounts from some of the athletes that they found it disappointing and disrespectful. For those of us old enough to remember the Before Times, an invitation to the White House was often considered a very great honor. And for college athletes, one that they'd probably never match again in their lifetimes. To be given McDonalds at such an event is basically a slap in the face, even if you enjoy cold Big Macs.

I'm sure that it was a mixed bag of reactions, though. It's not like Trump's behavior was unknown at that point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mellow Seas posted:

Totally acceptable and appropriate :godwin:. I mean, I am still optimistic that we will not reach that point, but if we did then yes, I agree this would certainly be a big a symbolic step on that journey. It's definitely very worrying; I don't want to give the impression that this is remotely okay.

e: Speaking of :godwin: I am not an expert on any of the subject matter involved but wasn't the previous apex of trans acceptance in the western world in the Weimar Republican? I mean, I mostly pieced that together from watching "Transparent" and my scattered knowledge of Cabaret, a musical I've never actually seen, so maybe I'm off base. But I find the parallel worrying.

Yes. The famous Nazi book burning photos were the library of Berlin’s Sexuality and Gender Institute.

Yet another :ironicat: for when fash and terfs invoke that analogy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

IIRC, a good chunk of the team refused to attend at all, but it wasn't anything to do with the menu.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I will never forget the hot mic moment of one of the players saying "I thought it was a joke". To me that summed up the Trump presidency.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Youremother posted:

I will never forget the hot mic moment of one of the players saying "I thought it was a joke". To me that summed up the Trump presidency.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

FCKGW posted:

Thought this would eventually make it here. The LeadingReport twitter is a sensationalist account that just makes poo poo up. No sources, no links, and if you go through the twitter account it posts nothing but “BREAKING” tweets that try and make it seems like people are dying of COVID shots and officials are getting arrested. It’s definitely an account with an agenda.
Given that the 500 accounts it follows on Twitter include Gateway Pundit, Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr, Roger Stone, MTG, Ron DeSantis, Benny Johnson, Kari Lake, Dinesh D'Souza, "End Wokeness", Tucker Carlson, Babylon Bee, Charlie Kirk, Herschel Walker, OANN, RedState, the Epoch Times, Mike Flynn, Wendy Rogers, Steven Crowder, Nick Adams, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Mike Lindell, Libs of Tik Tok, James O'Keefe, Thomas Massive, Ana Paulina Luna, Ronnie Jackson, Dan Scavino, and several dozen screen names containing MAGA/ULTRAMAGA/DEPLORABLE it's not super hard to do a quick check to confirm where that agenda might lie.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Given that the 500 accounts it follows on Twitter include Gateway Pundit, Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr, Roger Stone, MTG, Ron DeSantis, Benny Johnson, Kari Lake, Dinesh D'Souza, "End Wokeness", Tucker Carlson, Babylon Bee, Charlie Kirk, Herschel Walker, OANN, RedState, the Epoch Times, Mike Flynn, Wendy Rogers, Steven Crowder, Nick Adams, Lauren Boebert, Matt Gaetz, Mike Lindell, Libs of Tik Tok, James O'Keefe, Thomas Massive, Ana Paulina Luna, Ronnie Jackson, Dan Scavino, and several dozen screen names containing MAGA/ULTRAMAGA/DEPLORABLE it's not super hard to do a quick check to confirm where that agenda might lie.

Seems like the method would be for the LeadingReport account to tweet out completely fabricated lies and nonsense and then immediately get retweeted and amplified by the Trump right wing shithead army so the rumors gain traction.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The amount of fat, grease and oil in that picture is making my stomach turn.

And then there is the McDonald's food too. Yuck.

He's so low class and banal, yet keeps projecting this image of him being so high class. I simply can't understand why people are so enthralled with him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gyges posted:

That's a problem for another day and another headline. Besides, they don't actually want to kill a doctor or parent who helps a trans kid. They want to bully and scare people, but actually trying to give a parent the death penalty is a media poo poo storm they don't want to touch at all. Instead they'll do what they've been doing, posture up hard knowing that their bullshit is going to be reigned in while they get pats on the back from the insane primary base they've courted.

Almost everything coming out of the Florida legislature since 2020 has been designed to grab headlines and be held together just long enough for DeSantis to win the primary. After that the whole loving sandbar can sink into the Atlantic, who gives a poo poo.

Looking at how where I lived (Venice /Sarasota) has changed since 2016…

No it’s actually serious and they intend to do exactly what they are saying.

At this point after so many years of this why would you look at our fascists in a pre-Trump way?

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 15, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cimber posted:

He's so low class and banal, yet keeps projecting this image of him being so high class. I simply can't understand why people are so enthralled with him.

I think the old description of him being a stupid person's vision of what a rich person is like is still the best explanation. Pieces of poo poo see in him what they would be like if they won power ball.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Cimber posted:

Let me put it this way. If a presidential candidate came along and supported everything you support, promised to fight like hell to bring those things about, then won the primary would you support them?

Now, imagine that person wears a popped collar, cargo shorts and golf shoes . Would you still support them? If so, what would you think about people who criticize that person based on the popped collar?

because I know if i was getting my policies enacted, i'd be laughing all the way to my free healthcare account. I wouldn't give a gently caress if he looked like Michael Moore and sounded like Ron DeSantis. She could be as unlikable as Hillary. I might even pop my collar once in a while if I thought it would trigger the cons.

I'm willing to forgive a multitude of sins in order to get my policies enacted. I think frothing at the mouth racists feel the same way about racism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Being associated with McDs is not a negative to his base.

Tbh I don’t blame them there. I roll my eyes real hard at anyone who is like “I ate Taco Bell once and shat for three days.”

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

McDonalds is incredibly easy to eat for an older American.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being associated with McDs is not a negative to his base.

Tbh I don’t blame them there. I roll my eyes real hard at anyone who is like “I ate Taco Bell once and shat for three days.”

I have had some bad experiences with fast food, but yeah, most likely stories about gastrointestinal inflictions like that are either made up or are psychosomatically induced.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

uninterrupted posted:

It's kinda wild that for all the focus liberals focus on trumps Clemson McDonalds banquet, they've never found a player that complained about it.

Ha. I have to say that I do love free McDonalds as well.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1647298061406728194?s=20

Self defense is getting pretty wild n' out.

Also Sudan is descending into civil strife and or revolution.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 15, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i cannot even commentate on this because the sheer idea of pulling out a gun and doing a little homicide because you thought someone was stealing, not only not from you, but from a loving faceless corporation, just makes my brain melt :psypop:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh man fetus vs "good guy with a gun" in nashville. Who will win??

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

IIRC, a good chunk of the team refused to attend at all, but it wasn't anything to do with the menu.

The members of the Clemson team that went were underclassman who feared retaliation from mega chud head coach Dabo Sweeney and Chud nobodies themselves.

IIRC none of the players drafted that year attended at the WH.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

this feels like a parody level intersection of hot button issues / one of the most american headlines.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Let me put it this way. If a presidential candidate came along and supported everything you support, promised to fight like hell to bring those things about, then won the primary would you support them?

Now, imagine that person wears a popped collar, cargo shorts and golf shoes . Would you still support them? If so, what would you think about people who criticize that person based on the popped collar?

because I know if i was getting my policies enacted, i'd be laughing all the way to my free healthcare account. I wouldn't give a gently caress if he looked like Michael Moore and sounded like Ron DeSantis. She could be as unlikable as Hillary. I might even pop my collar once in a while if I thought it would trigger the cons.

I'm willing to forgive a multitude of sins in order to get my policies enacted. I think frothing at the mouth racists feel the same way about racism.

Except he actually _didn't_ do anything he promised. What was his signature achievements in his term of office? The tax cut?

Border wall? Nope
Repealing Obamacare? Nope
Withdrawing from NATO? Nope
Cutting dependence on China? Nope
Reducing illegal immigration? Nope.

The only thing he got done when they had the trifecta was the tax cut which only really helped the rich class. Everyone else got a marginal tax cut that sunsets while the corp tax cut is forever. OK, he got a shitload of judges in too, but that wasn't really him, that was the federalist society giving him a list of 'good judges' and him scrawling his signature on it with a McDonald's crayon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yeah, I mean, this is a picture from a loving Onion article.

For some reason I've found myself lately pondering the 2024 election and I think I'm finally coming around to and facing the stark reality of the fact that, every single time, it's the lesser of two of evils and I'm always voting against someone more than voting for someone. I remember the first time I could vote being fairly excited to vote for Dukakis because, even back then and despite my extreme lack of political knowledge about much of anything, it was gently caress George Bush. Then I watched Dukakis get loving massacred and wondered exactly what it was that was so weird about ME that didn't jive with pretty much what seemed like all of society.

The only presidential candidate in my lifetime that I was genuinely excited for was Barack Obama, for a multitude of reasons, and that's exactly one out of ten. The older I get, the more checked out and apathetic I become; always resigned to voting to STOP something instead of creating anything and now, in 1.5 years, here I'll be again staring at Joe Biden and Donald Trump knowing this is never, ever going to change in my lifetime. I don't know what took me so long for it to really sink in and I'm not sure if it's by design or what but, god drat.

Every 4 years, in the richest and most powerful nation in the world, these are the best and brightest we can offer?

I think that no matter how this shakes out for Trump, he's going to come out of it stronger and with an even more dug in base of support than he had before. The idea of being actually tried with a crime, an whether he's convicted or not, is going to be seen as a positive for the crazies. It's either going to be validation of the Deep State and create more MTG's or, if Trump is found not guilty, looked at as the big, bad ultimate AMerican patriot emerging victorious against the loony libs.

:words: sorry

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zamujasa posted:

i cannot even commentate on this because the sheer idea of pulling out a gun and doing a little homicide because you thought someone was stealing, not only not from you, but from a loving faceless corporation, just makes my brain melt :psypop:

My manager at raising canes back in the day worked strapped to “protect us.” Buddy please don’t get me shot for the fifty bucks in the register.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cat botherer posted:

Godwin himself already said it's ok to call these people nazis.

Also Nazis started with targeting transgender people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cimber posted:

Because people like you think he's low class. That's the secret. They like him because he's the opposite of what they hate.