Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes he wants revenge because he got exiled from the planet and as a result he is aging

Not just aging, his body is literally ripping itself apart because he was exiled from paradise and decided to just go live in the space cancer nebula so now all his followers have DNA that looks like silly string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

He does want revenge also because he is the bad guy but his main motivation is selfish resource extraction for personal benefit. Yes Picard blows him up in a greenscreen room but Insurrection is a film that is trying to be about things that are the traditional 'old people coming to terms with being old' thing that all the Star Trek films are about with a TNG spin on it, which is better than just being another WoK reboot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

He does want revenge also because he is the bad guy but his main motivation is selfish resource extraction for personal benefit. Yes Picard blows him up in a greenscreen room but Insurrection is a film that is trying to be about things that are the traditional 'old people coming to terms with being old' thing that all the Star Trek films are about with a TNG spin on it, which is better than just being another WoK reboot.

I am still to this day mad that test audiences wanted a more action-filled finale of Picard killing Ru'afo when the original filmed ending was Picard trying to save Ru'afo and Ru'afo willfully rejecting it because he can't let go of his hatred and spite, and then he gets exactly what he was striving for the whole movie just in excess and he de-ages out of existence as a result of his own hubris.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That would have been far better than dumb green screen fight yes

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i only watch galaxy quest now

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Stopping after the TNG finale would have been the right call but at the time not even I was willing to make that call.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I knew Generations was a bad movie but not only did I see it twice in the theater but I bought the novelization and read it more than once. It was bad and that didn’t stop me but the line must be drawn here. This far, no further. *breaks all of my little ships*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just think. We'll actually see a canon Star Trek/Star Wars crossover in our lifetimes.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Just think. We'll actually see a canon Star Trek/Star Wars crossover in our lifetimes.

it's the only way to kill them both

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Applewhite posted:

"Hail them."

"Hello there!"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its been 300 pages i think im allowed to say Horatio Hornblower is good again

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I knew Generations was a bad movie but not only did I see it twice in the theater but I bought the novelization and read it more than once. It was bad and that didn’t stop me but the line must be drawn here. This far, no further. *breaks all of my little ships*

:actually: that line was in First Contact, not Generations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
No, that was an original statement from me, do not copy.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
So what's the odds the Borg Queen is going to be some rotten/zombish if not mostly metal being compared to before due to Janeway with much of the Borg dead or gone.

Can't help feel like that's where we're headed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Me watching every episode of Picard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGfWrJR5Ck

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

None of the writers have ever watched star trek. It'll look the same or stupid

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ooh I bet when they kill the borg Queen all the Changeling infiltrators conveniently drop dead for “reasons”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Ooh I bet when they kill the borg Queen all the Changeling infiltrators conveniently drop dead for “reasons”

The Changelings are already gone. They all walked into a bar together and have disappeared because that's how Picard handles the characters it's done playing with.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I mean there is a good argument that First Contact ruined the whole TNG thing because that's the reason we got dumb action and now all this dumbass Borg Queen chicanery. Maybe it was good for Voyager, I don't know.

TNG itself went in a mature direction where we see Picard cope with his trauma (Family) and overcome his prejudice to see the Borg as sympathetic and not deserving genocide (I, Borg). Descent 1 and 2 is kind of weird.

I see your point, but would also argue that no one involved with First Contact intended for the same group of actors to be trying to do action more than a quarter of a century later.

First Contact does have quality action but it also preserves the hopefulness and optimism of good Trek by Cochran completing his flight and a peaceful meeting with the Vulcans, and Beverly never picks up a phaser. Plus did good work making the Borg effective horror villains. It has flaws like the Borg never trying to use their utterly game breaking time travel powers to instantly conquer the galaxy again, but still fun.

I’ve only seen Picard S1 but the problems seemed to be a poorly considered attempt to become game of thrones, with gratuitous character deaths & everyone moping in misery.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

If the Borg were smart they would've assimilated Riker's spunk banks and then they could've just gone to Risa and grabbed a six pack of plot armor-less Jacks whenever they wanted.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The teleporter being used to turn people is a pretty cool idea.

Almost makes you wonder why it wasn't done before in the pod person vein.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Last Call posted:

The teleporter being used to turn people is a pretty cool idea.

Almost makes you wonder why it wasn't done before in the pod person vein.

wasn't it a Mirror Universe plot at one point?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I see your point, but would also argue that no one involved with First Contact intended for the same group of actors to be trying to do action more than a quarter of a century later.

First Contact does have quality action but it also preserves the hopefulness and optimism of good Trek by Cochran completing his flight and a peaceful meeting with the Vulcans, and Beverly never picks up a phaser. Plus did good work making the Borg effective horror villains. It has flaws like the Borg never trying to use their utterly game breaking time travel powers to instantly conquer the galaxy again, but still fun.

I’ve only seen Picard S1 but the problems seemed to be a poorly considered attempt to become game of thrones, with gratuitous character deaths & everyone moping in misery.

First Contact for all it got right did irreparable damage to the Borg by creating the Queen. She goes against the entire point of them. Even Locutus was just a way for the collective to more easily communicate to humans by creating a mouthpiece.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I think I read somewhere they wanted Picard and Data to talk to a borg computer, but it was too hard to write, so they just made up the queen.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Did the boobs keep falling off the computer they built or something?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

First Contact for all it got right did irreparable damage to the Borg by creating the Queen. She goes against the entire point of them. Even Locutus was just a way for the collective to more easily communicate to humans by creating a mouthpiece.

That's just what the Queen is in First Contact, really. It was Voyager that took it too far and made her just a regular old ruler giving verbal orders to drones who push buttons on computers

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Locutus is a dumb idea too, what's the point of having a mouthpiece? I don't understand why the Borgs need to talk to anybody, if you want the people of Earth to know what you're thinking just assimilate them all and then bing bong they know what you're thinking.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Locutus is a dumb idea too, what's the point of having a mouthpiece? I don't understand why the Borgs need to talk to anybody, if you want the people of Earth to know what you're thinking just assimilate them all and then bing bong they know what you're thinking.

Now THAT'S thinking like a hegemonizing swarm!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Trixie Hardcore posted:

loss of morale will result in faster surrenders saving drones an average of 25 calories (total) this is 2.1% more energy than it cost to acquire Locutus. Efficiency!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/cxKEUwsBWLM

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
locutus made for a better story, but it should never have become something unique to picard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you don't need a queen if you can just pull out another spokesman drone like locutus.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

locutus made for a better story, but it should never have become something unique to picard.

We don’t know that it is though tbf

The Borg might assimilate races through a myriad of strategies that we’re not privy to, Locutuseses being one of them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

galagazombie posted:

I'm gonna speak out in defense of the Borg Queen concept.

If we accept the Borg as originally presented, then the collective should have become benevolent centuries before Encounter at Farpoint. They would only need to assimilate a few species like the Vulcans for the peaceful principles of that civilization to dilute the will of the entire collective.

The fact that the Borg are still callously raiding and destroying worlds points to the presence of an undemocratic contamination within the collective that suppresses dissenting thought. The Queen is the embodiment of some kind of suppression algorithm that was either present at the Collective's inception or introduced later by a malevolent intelligence.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A pure Borg Collective would pretty much be a paradise. They'd never need to assimilate planets because pilgrims would be swarming from all over the galaxy to join.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Also they would have probably focused their efforts on Dyson swarms/spheres rather than assimilation because of how inefficient the task of assimilation would be

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
In defense of the Borg Queen, she kinda hot tho right?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Like most Borgs prior to the Borg queen are pretty unfuckable imho no offense

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

That’s pretty ableist of you tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Borg queen in just a head and spine and I’d still date her so idk how that’s ableist.