Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

Wayne Knight posted:

Oh man fetus vs "good guy with a gun" in nashville. Who will win??

The pregnant woman will be arrested for felony manslaughter from putting the fetus in the line of fire. Good guy with a gun is regarded as tragically blameless.

Yes this is hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Cimber posted:

Except he actually _didn't_ do anything he promised. What was his signature achievements in his term of office? The tax cut?

Border wall? Nope
Repealing Obamacare? Nope
Withdrawing from NATO? Nope
Cutting dependence on China? Nope
Reducing illegal immigration? Nope.

The only thing he got done when they had the trifecta was the tax cut which only really helped the rich class. Everyone else got a marginal tax cut that sunsets while the corp tax cut is forever. OK, he got a shitload of judges in too, but that wasn't really him, that was the federalist society giving him a list of 'good judges' and him scrawling his signature on it with a McDonald's crayon.

first of all, I didn't argue that Trump delivered on his promises I said that Trump supported what his base supports. And his base does not give two fucks about withdrawing from NATO. They probably don't even know what NATO is.

They want a president who will openly and proudly be racist and trigger the libs. And he delivered. They want a president who will talk about poo poo hole countries, and rapists from Mexico. That's all his base cares about. They don't give a gently caress about policy because racism isn't a policy. It's not even a philosophy it's an aesthetic. Racists don't whine because they want specific policy. They just want to whine. And Trump is the biggest whiniest racist of them all.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Cimber posted:

Except he actually _didn't_ do anything he promised. What was his signature achievements in his term of office? The tax cut?

Border wall? Nope
Repealing Obamacare? Nope
Withdrawing from NATO? Nope
Cutting dependence on China? Nope
Reducing illegal immigration? Nope.

The only thing he got done when they had the trifecta was the tax cut which only really helped the rich class. Everyone else got a marginal tax cut that sunsets while the corp tax cut is forever. OK, he got a shitload of judges in too, but that wasn't really him, that was the federalist society giving him a list of 'good judges' and him scrawling his signature on it with a McDonald's crayon.

He got Roe overturned, it was the conservative movement's signature issue for decades. It has supermajority disapproval but we're talking about Republicans here.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also the border was has been massively expanded since Trump took office (check the red: https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/along-us-borders/border-wall-system) and after walking back some of Trump's most egregious immigration policies, the Biden admin has rushed to fill that rightward gap and is blocking most asylum seekers and is reinstating family detention.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Have we talked about how the Farmington NM Police Department showed up to the wrong house and killed the home owner yet? The video was released last night. Happened a week or so ago. The press release I quickly read earlier looks like they are going for the unfortunate event angle with lots of apologies.

https://youtu.be/jh5idYV2ifQ

The channel I don't know about but it appears to be the released video that isn't a news segment.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I always see articles saying Trump's policies constructed very little or no "new" border wall - i.e., where none existed before, and most of what he accomplished was replacing existing border wall.

But surely most existing border wall was in areas that were already known for the most illegal crossings, right? Wouldn't the smartest move be to replace the old shipping crates and vehicle barriers functioning as a "wall" in places like San Diego or El Paso before erecting brand new structures in the middle of nowhere?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason I've found myself lately pondering the 2024 election and I think I'm finally coming around to and facing the stark reality of the fact that, every single time, it's the lesser of two of evils and I'm always voting against someone more than voting for someone. I remember the first time I could vote being fairly excited to vote for Dukakis because, even back then and despite my extreme lack of political knowledge about much of anything, it was gently caress George Bush. Then I watched Dukakis get loving massacred and wondered exactly what it was that was so weird about ME that didn't jive with pretty much what seemed like all of society.

The only presidential candidate in my lifetime that I was genuinely excited for was Barack Obama, for a multitude of reasons, and that's exactly one out of ten. The older I get, the more checked out and apathetic I become; always resigned to voting to STOP something instead of creating anything and now, in 1.5 years, here I'll be again staring at Joe Biden and Donald Trump knowing this is never, ever going to change in my lifetime. I don't know what took me so long for it to really sink in and I'm not sure if it's by design or what but, god drat.

Every 4 years, in the richest and most powerful nation in the world, these are the best and brightest we can offer?

I think that no matter how this shakes out for Trump, he's going to come out of it stronger and with an even more dug in base of support than he had before. The idea of being actually tried with a crime, an whether he's convicted or not, is going to be seen as a positive for the crazies. It's either going to be validation of the Deep State and create more MTG's or, if Trump is found not guilty, looked at as the big, bad ultimate AMerican patriot emerging victorious against the loony libs.

:words: sorry

I'm not apathetic about my ability to vote against something and someone, and have that vote count. There are many countries where that isn't the case.

I'm also not holding out for a hero (heh) in politics, it's good enough for me if someone doesn't constantly get in the way.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Cimber posted:

Space Force I guess.

But the thing that will always mess with my head is North Korea. It felt like the dude brought us to within days of nuclear war with North Korea and then... visited North Korea. What the gently caress was that whole thing?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pencilhands posted:

I always see articles saying Trump's policies constructed very little or no "new" border wall - i.e., where none existed before, and most of what he accomplished was replacing existing border wall.

But surely most existing border wall was in areas that were already known for the most illegal crossings, right? Wouldn't the smartest move be to replace the old shipping crates and vehicle barriers functioning as a "wall" in places like San Diego or El Paso before erecting brand new structures in the middle of nowhere?

They aren’t using shipping crates and vehicle barrier in places like San Diego. Those places were heavily fortified decades ago and illegal fence crossings are mostly non existent there.

Those container walls were put in in places like the Sonoran desert that had no fence in the first place.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How in the loving gently caress do you justify firing a gun for shoplifting

WHY ARE WALGREENS EMPLOYEES ARMED WTF?

cr0y fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 15, 2023

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cr0y posted:

How in the loving gently caress do you justify firing a gun for shoplifting.

She supposedly maced the guy but he also followed her out to parking lot which anyone who ever worked retail will tell you is the last thing you ever do.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

She supposedly maced the guy but he also followed her out to parking lot which anyone who ever worked retail will tell you is the last thing you ever do.

Yea I was just gonna say that in my op but I couldn't post through the blind rage of how stupid everything is.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

same boat here tbh. i voted third party a few times because i bought into the hype of True Democracy, but at some point the reality sank in that outside of local politics it's always been the lesser of two evils and it's always going to be the lesser of two evils. better to vote against encroaching fascism than to piss into the wind for a moral victory.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Today I reliaze that I now go months at a time forgetting there was such a thing as Trump's nonexistent border wall, him bullying everyone about it and braying about Mexico paying for it.

That makes me really happy!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pencilhands posted:

IIRC even a lot of what was actually done wall-wise during his term was signed off on before he was even in office and was just general like "it's been X years repair Y part of Z wall" stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cr0y posted:

How in the loving gently caress do you justify firing a gun for shoplifting

WHY ARE WALGREENS EMPLOYEES ARMED WTF?

He followed them out to their car and went right up to them, so they maced him, and he panicked and pulled his gun and immediately started shooting

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I mean, this is a picture from a loving Onion article.

For some reason I've found myself lately pondering the 2024 election and I think I'm finally coming around to and facing the stark reality of the fact that, every single time, it's the lesser of two of evils and I'm always voting against someone more than voting for someone. I remember the first time I could vote being fairly excited to vote for Dukakis because, even back then and despite my extreme lack of political knowledge about much of anything, it was gently caress George Bush. Then I watched Dukakis get loving massacred and wondered exactly what it was that was so weird about ME that didn't jive with pretty much what seemed like all of society.

The only presidential candidate in my lifetime that I was genuinely excited for was Barack Obama, for a multitude of reasons, and that's exactly one out of ten. The older I get, the more checked out and apathetic I become; always resigned to voting to STOP something instead of creating anything and now, in 1.5 years, here I'll be again staring at Joe Biden and Donald Trump knowing this is never, ever going to change in my lifetime. I don't know what took me so long for it to really sink in and I'm not sure if it's by design or what but, god drat.

Every 4 years, in the richest and most powerful nation in the world, these are the best and brightest we can offer?

I think that no matter how this shakes out for Trump, he's going to come out of it stronger and with an even more dug in base of support than he had before. The idea of being actually tried with a crime, an whether he's convicted or not, is going to be seen as a positive for the crazies. It's either going to be validation of the Deep State and create more MTG's or, if Trump is found not guilty, looked at as the big, bad ultimate AMerican patriot emerging victorious against the loony libs.

:words: sorry

I know this sounds like misplaced optimism, but sometimes "good enough" goes farther than you think. Think of some of the landmark legislation that's passed in our country's history, like the 1968 Civil Rights Act. Do you think every congressman and senator who voted for it was a vanguard of civil rights with an ironclad sense of moral justice? No! A lot of them were like "My colleagues are voting for it. I might vote for it as well."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

He followed them out to their car and went right up to them, so they maced him, and he panicked and pulled his gun and immediately started shooting

Clearly she should've had a gun and shot him to death instead. Problem solved.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

volts5000 posted:

I know this sounds like misplaced optimism, but sometimes "good enough" goes farther than you think. Think of some of the landmark legislation that's passed in our country's history, like the 1968 Civil Rights Act. Do you think every congressman and senator who voted for it was a vanguard of civil rights with an ironclad sense of moral justice? No! A lot of them were like "My colleagues are voting for it. I might vote for it as well."

if i remember right it was more like "if i don't vote yes on this my district will burn to the ground"

the riots after mlk got shot were something else

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Until you get representative democracy and proportional voting America will always be a lesser than the other evil case.
The system is literally designed to work like that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If it makes you feel any better (it shouldn't) a lot of Republicans also think they're voting for the lesser evil.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

volts5000 posted:

The civil unrest was a bigger motivator for those not in it for civil rights and the housing act. Both stopping it and passing the anti-riot acts. I guess your argument fits in there since a different government may have cracked down more. I think it's just an ahistorical view though, the forces that actually lead to things like legislature passing are more chaotic than we think.

I think the lesser evil idea is cope because we don't want to talk about how limited the options are and how far the truth is from our national myth. It's not that the candidates are all evil. We absolutely get ones who try and a lot of Dems are "good enough" for whatever that means. I don't like Joe but it doesn't really matter if you do or not, it's that he's in the finals at all. It's that Joe Biden is supposed to have won a meritocracy. And Trump did before that. And really Obama and Bush. That's our best and brightest? That's the leader of the country where everyone can be president?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Gumball Gumption posted:

The civil unrest was a bigger motivator for those not in it for civil rights and the housing act. Both stopping it and passing the anti-riot acts. I guess your argument fits in there since a different government may have cracked down more. I think it's just an ahistorical view though, the forces that actually lead to things like legislature passing are more chaotic than we think.

I think the lesser evil idea is cope because we don't want to talk about how limited the options are and how far the truth is from our national myth.

They are more chaotic than we think. So chaotic that it caused the fracturing of a political party and led the southern states to vote for a proto-Trump candidate (which made him the most successful third party candidate in US history in terms of EV). But I also can't help but think of the more mundane forces as well. "If I vote for this, I'll get a library in my district." "I could leverage a committee seat with this vote." I look at our congress now. For every outspoken Bernie, AOC, Pelosi, and Manchin, you've got a hundred or so people there just voting quietly for one reason or another. I don't think of it like "Vote Blue, No Matter Who", just that I don't think we need 100 Bernies or a 500 AOCs for there to be change. We just need people who could bend just enough to be helpful for one reason or another.

EDIT: We still need the Bernies and AOCs. Otherwise, it just becomes a self-perpetuating status-quo machine.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not that the candidates are all evil. We absolutely get ones who try and a lot of Dems are "good enough" for whatever that means. I don't like Joe but it doesn't really matter if you do or not, it's that he's in the finals at all. It's that Joe Biden is supposed to have won a meritocracy. And Trump did before that. And really Obama and Bush. That's our best and brightest? That's the leader of the country where everyone can be president?

You can thank our hosed up antiquated voting system for that. That's something that needs to change ASAP. Even then, that's the best that the people who bothered to vote could choose.

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 16, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

volts5000 posted:

They are more chaotic than we think. So chaotic that it caused the fracturing of a political party and led the southern states to vote for a proto-Trump candidate (which made him the most successful third party candidate in US history in terms of EV). But I also can't help but think of the more mundane forces as well. "If I vote for this, I'll get a library in my district."

the villainization and abolition of earmarks was really, really bad for the country, it turns out

we kinda-sorta have them back but the damage is long since done

Cimber posted:

Very true. Its sad that politics has become a team sport. Less and less crossover voters these days. In 2016 had Hillary been running against anyone other than Trump I might have seriously considered voting for the Republican, but I instead held my nose and voted for her. I never in a million years thought Trump would actually win.

the thing with the US system is that coalitions are formed before the general, and generally before the primary

it's very nearly impossible for the current republican party to generate a candidate in any sufficiently high-level race that is better than the democrat (i will allow for a little wiggle room in dinkier races), because if the candidate were like that they'd run as a democrat

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 16, 2023

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Clarste posted:

If it makes you feel any better (it shouldn't) a lot of Republicans also think they're voting for the lesser evil.

Very true. Its sad that politics has become a team sport. Less and less crossover voters these days. In 2016 had Hillary been running against anyone other than Trump I might have seriously considered voting for the Republican, but I instead held my nose and voted for her. I never in a million years thought Trump would actually win.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think the lesser evil idea is cope because we don't want to talk about how limited the options are and how far the truth is from our national myth. It's not that the candidates are all evil. We absolutely get ones who try and a lot of Dems are "good enough" for whatever that means. I don't like Joe but it doesn't really matter if you do or not, it's that he's in the finals at all. It's that Joe Biden is supposed to have won a meritocracy. And Trump did before that. And really Obama and Bush. That's our best and brightest? That's the leader of the country where everyone can be president?

Democracy (assuming it's working as intended) is a popularity contest, not a meritocracy. Many of the people who wrote the Constitution assumed that democracy and meritocracy were mutually exclusive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Clarste posted:

Clearly she should've had a gun and shot him to death instead. Problem solved.

I don't particularly think personal handgun ownership is a worthwhile means of self-defense when looking at the obvious downsides, but arguably if you do concede there's a place for it, then a pregnant woman shooting a strange man who's aggressively following her is 100% the perfect case for a self-defensive shooting.

Especially if said strange man is literally a Walgreens simp. What a worthless form of existence, a person who would pursue a pregnant woman out of a store on suspicion of shoplifting to defend the honour and profits of Walgreens. He should welcome an end to his miserable and torturous earthly presence.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Well put.

Also, none of the best and brightest ever happen to be women, atheist, Jewish, gay, Hispanic, Asian, etc, but one time it was a black guy and that finally solved racism, according to the right. Plus we all saw how well they handled that. Barrack HUSSEIN Obama and his non existent birth certificate and poo poo.

I'll keep voting like I always do but I'm less and less enthusiastic about it and am getting tired of basically shoving my finger in a dike, hoping it will slow the rising tide of fascism.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

I don't particularly think personal handgun ownership is a worthwhile means of self-defense when looking at the obvious downsides, but arguably if you do concede there's a place for it, then a pregnant woman shooting a strange man who's aggressively following her is 100% the perfect case for a self-defensive shooting.

Especially if said strange man is literally a Walgreens simp. What a worthless form of existence, a person who would pursue a pregnant woman out of a store on suspicion of shoplifting to defend the honour and profits of Walgreens. He should welcome an end to his miserable and torturous earthly presence.
I'm not sure they were making a serious suggestion, but like you assess, she probably has a fair argument for self-defense. Like, under no circumstances should the guy's self-defense argument hold up, because if it does, it will just encourage total lethality in self-defense or just attempts to pre-empt these sorts of scenarios. (Hell, those cases already come up)

In a weird sort of way, I sort of can get how people can get "invested" in a job, no matter how lovely in a way that leads them to take shoplifting personally (or hell, just take it personally regardless) - but that just makes me sad because it's absolutely wasted emotional energy, and makes me wish people could have more fulfilling/meaningful work.

Does Walgreens have loss prevention staff, or policy/training that says not to chase shoplifters? Cause most places do, and I wonder if that's the kind of thing that might come into consideration for a legal case. (But knowing 2nd amendment interpretations, probably not.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Because people like you think he's low class. That's the secret. They like him because he's the opposite of what they hate.

Also the fact that liberals are more mad about his aesthetic than about his actions gives them great pleasure.

They are actively trying to piss you off, and they love that it's working.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Honestly, I would fuckin' kill to vote for a genuinely progressive low-class, vulgar shithead who pisses off the people with "good taste" with every harmless aesthetic gesture he makes. I hate Trump supporters with a burning passion, but that particular sentiment is one I can fully get behind.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also the fact that liberals are more mad about his aesthetic than about his actions gives them great pleasure.

They are actively trying to piss you off, and they love that it's working.

I think you're projecting pretty hard there, as in this hypothetical liberal reaction is what gives you great pleasure as you mainline on sanctimony.

I'm pretty sure MAGA people love that high-fiving over putting Mexican kids in cages and sticking it to woke trans critical race theory upsets people, rather than Donald's orange spray tan and well-done steaks, if they have even mentally balanced those scales in the first place, which is doubtful.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Quixzlizx posted:

I think you're projecting pretty hard there, as in this hypothetical liberal reaction is what gives you great pleasure as you mainline on sanctimony.

I'm pretty sure MAGA people love that high-fiving over putting Mexican kids in cages and sticking it to woke trans critical race theory upsets people, rather than Donald's orange spray tan and well-done steaks, if they have even mentally balanced those scales in the first place, which is doubtful.

Nah. If there's one thing conservatives love almost as much as racism and hurting people, it's seeing Libs get upset by anything ever. Especially when so many liberals make it a point to exclaim how gauche or tacky something Donald did is.

They're fine with anything that gets a rise out of the libs, whether it's when Trump put kids in cages or if he eats ketchup on a steak. Somewhere, a liberal is upset about it and the conservative is chugging from a coffee mug labeled "Liberal Tears"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

the_steve posted:

Nah. If there's one thing conservatives love almost as much as racism and hurting people, it's seeing Libs get upset by anything ever. Especially when so many liberals make it a point to exclaim how gauche or tacky something Donald did is.

They're fine with anything that gets a rise out of the libs, whether it's when Trump put kids in cages or if he eats ketchup on a steak. Somewhere, a liberal is upset about it and the conservative is chugging from a coffee mug labeled "Liberal Tears"

That isn't what OP claimed. OP claimed that conservatives specifically think that liberals get more upset over pointless crap than actual evil actions, and that juxtaposition is what makes the conservative extra happy.

And I commented that that hypothesis sounds more like a leftist fantasizing about how performative and ethically inferior liberals are than the calculus that an actual MAGA man would bother to do. I agree with you that they believe that everything they do causes liberal tears and it's all the same to them. So, I guess I worded my initial response wrong, but I was trying to disagree with the OP rather than trying to argue the opposite.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 16, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Oxyclean posted:

Does Walgreens have loss prevention staff, or policy/training that says not to chase shoplifters? Cause most places do, and I wonder if that's the kind of thing that might come into consideration for a legal case. (But knowing 2nd amendment interpretations, probably not.)

I managed a Walgreens for awhile like 8 years ago and they definitely had training that was very specific about not doing that yeah. It was the very typical training for shoplifters you'd see at any major retail place and management would always make it clear that you aren't supposed to ever follow a shoplifter out of the store.

BUT THERE WAS STILL PEOPLE WHO WOULD DO IT!!! Just completely loving insane. Like literally people who'd been employed there as just a cashier for like half a year would do this stuff.

I mean part of the training for the job was a lot of stuff about how evil shoplifters are/etc. but still LOL

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 16, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Nobody dislikes Trump because he served the Clemson football team McDonald's hamberders on the White House china, people talk about those kind of things because they're funny. There's a type of commentator (often twitter personalities and national newspaper columnists) that says The Libs made jokes about that because they're coastal elites who don't know Real America, but they're College Republicans who attended 18 years of private school and would combust if they talked to an adult who didn't graduate college. If a Republican voter remembers the hamberders it's because they thought it was funny.

The Libs disliked Trump in 2016 because he was a racist who wanted to end democracy and overturn Roe v. Wade and they dislike him now because he's a racist who tried to end democracy and overturned Roe v. Wade.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

George H W Bush and George W Bush appointed 2 of the SCOTUS justices who overturned roe v. wade, and a 3rd who would have been happy to gut it completely and liberals will trip all over themselves to tell you how “reasonable” and “respectable” they were.

And let’s not forget the Willie Horton ad or Hurricane Katrina. Liberals care about surface appearances and nothing else.

And the PATRIOT act?? Like….literally EVERYTHING you ascribe to a unique aspect of Trump was already in the works with your bog standard “normal” republicans that liberals now admire. They just dislike that he’s not as high class as they expect a president to be.

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 16, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
"liberals will rehabilitate Bush" is just imaginary. I am not sure I have heard someone who would self describe as a liberal bring up George W Bush even once since Trump was elected, except in the context of "was Trump or Bush worse" (I don't think that question has a clear answer)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oxyclean posted:

I can almost guarantee you that they do have that policy, and not only that but actually confronting a customer in the parking lot has an excellent chance of getting the employee written up or fired. Had a co-worker in an unrelated job try to stop someone who was in the process of stealing an SUV from the building we worked in. He got maced in the face and a verbal warning for all his efforts because “it’s not your job, it’s the police’s job.” Then he got fired for sleeping with one of the security guards. Bright guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every chain store is clear, Walmart most famously, that if you chase shoplifters out the door, you are fired and on your own. It's just liability for the store at that point, and shrinkage is built into the budget, so who gives a poo poo? A sense of justice is not why people chase "shoplifters" out into the parking lot anyway, it's because they are some combination of dumb and unhinged.