Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
The pdps is a bit misleading there due to the 20% less global, it's really equivalent to about 1k. Still pretty nice axe though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
builds going well but need some input

https://poe.ninja/pob/Xjq

ive got daressos courage for a shield cos i could take advantage of the spell block on low life + then i can get the recent attack/spell block stuff to cover up some early defensive weakness but idk how much exactly i should be valuing it. i ve got other stuff i need to fix first + saving for a paradoxica but is there any obivous replacement i could grab? would i get more value out of a straight rare shield w a bunch of spell suppression instead? thanks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the chieftain exploding totem build ?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Vulpes posted:

The pdps is a bit misleading there due to the 20% less global, it's really equivalent to about 1k. Still pretty nice axe though!

I may try to reforge for normal 10% ASPD (and try to get +phys explicits). With this speed I am having issues keeping up with the boneshatter self harm.

I have 33k armor (89% phys reduction), 17% of phys damage taken as elemental, 80+ resists, and still susceptible to bone zone suicide.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Lol was trying to 4 link a 6 socket weapon and accidentally 6 linked it. lovely unique and wasted all my luck oh well

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

That is an absolutely disgusting axe for Boneshatter. The 40% local aspd -20% global damage is the best node in the game for bonezone.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

That is an absolutely disgusting axe for Boneshatter. The 40% local aspd -20% global damage is the best node in the game for bonezone.

Is there a rule of thumb for what is needed to prevent I get very visible damage spikes pretty quickly if I am just holding down smash. This is my current POB for reference.

https://pobb.in/Chq7k3V12F4M

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is it worth dicking around in the mines in A4? Difficulty seems to be really high and the rewards have been pretty meh so far. Now I’ve run out of sulphide(?) and don’t know where or how to get more

E: to be clear, I mean the digging machine minigame, not the actual mines

EE: Just hit lvl 42 and I am really tired of mashing the poo poo out of blade vortex

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 16, 2023

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Is it worth dicking around in the mines in A4? Difficulty seems to be really high and the rewards have been pretty meh so far. Now I’ve run out of sulphide(?) and don’t know where or how to get more

E: to be clear, I mean the digging machine minigame, not the actual mines

You'll see little sulphite deposits pop up from time to time during the campaign, and much larger ones when you get into maps.

It's probably not worth giving too much attention to during the campaign, no.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

docbeard posted:

You'll see little sulphite deposits pop up from time to time during the campaign, and much larger ones when you get into maps.

It's probably not worth giving too much attention to during the campaign, no.

Ok thanks. That’s what I figured but I didn’t want to miss out.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a rule of thumb for what is needed to prevent I get very visible damage spikes pretty quickly if I am just holding down smash. This is my current POB for reference.

https://pobb.in/Chq7k3V12F4M
i was gonna say 33k armor seems a bit low and i see why; Slayer is the issue sadly. They're really good at low end to mid end bone zone, but with an axe like that I would honestly reroll into juggernaut because at that point you'd deal a lot more damage and be far more tanky. Slayer doesn't have a good way to outright mitigate the sheer amount of stacks you can generate with the amount of aspd you can now get on 2h weapons.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm working my build toward this EA elementalist ballista thing:
https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/explosive-arrow-ballista-elementalist/skill-gems-passive-tree
https://pobb.in/-hDobOxTL6xU

and I'm basically at the "act 4" part of the pobbin skill tree, just about to enter the totem cluster in it.

when I read the maxroll guide, it sounds like I have to both drop a totem AND a trap in order to cause damage? (and maybe a 3rd skill too sometimes?) this leads to a few questions:
1 - is that really necessary or can it somehow easily be avoided by a certain skill or gear choice, to make it a 1-button damage dealer (maybe just don't take ancestral bond...)?
2 - if you HAVE to do both totem and trap for every single pack of monsters, then is there an easy way to combine those things in-game? or am I stuck with like using an autohotkey macro to do both things every time I wanna trigger one? I mean I guess I can just spam keys but I prefer fewer key pressin'
3 - is autohotkey or windows power automate detected and accounts banned by GGG?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

pmchem posted:

'
3 - is autohotkey or windows power automate detected and accounts banned by GGG?

Technically these things are against the rules but unless you're like streaming yourself using it they almost certainly won't notice or care.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

pmchem posted:

https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/explosive-arrow-ballista-elementalist/skill-gems-passive-tree

and I'm basically at the "act 4" part of the pobbin skill tree, just about to enter the totem cluster in it.

when I read the maxroll guide, it sounds like I have to both drop a totem AND a trap in order to cause damage? (and maybe a 3rd skill too sometimes?) this leads to a few questions:
1 - is that really necessary or can it somehow easily be avoided by a certain skill or gear choice, to make it a 1-button damage dealer (maybe just don't take ancestral bond...)?
2 - if you HAVE to do both totem and trap for every single pack of monsters, then is there an easy way to combine those things in-game? or am I stuck with like using an autohotkey macro to do both things every time I wanna trigger one? I mean I guess I can just spam keys but I prefer fewer key pressin'

1. The explosive arrow totems will be enough for almost all packs. Buttons 2 and 3 will enhance the totem damage on uniques/bosses/tanky rares

2. Don’t bother with buttons 2 and 3 90% of the time

3. AHK is fine

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

pmchem posted:

EA ballista is a janky build to start with lol, there's a lot of gotcha moments that'll ruin your DPS.

but for 1, the trap is used to increase the damage you do. combustion reduces an enemy's fire resist while ignited, but you can't ignite yourself. traps are not you, so you can toss out a trap with combustion linked to it to ignite them for bonus damage. you generally won't have to do this for each pack, it's bonus damage for bossing/tanky rares

last i checked PoE doesn't care about ahk anymore, it used to be a thing because people used them to automate flasks but i don't think they check unless you're outright botting. still, you shouldn't need it for this build.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Do the directional arrows on gem slot links matter on gear or is it just “4 linked slots will apply to each other if possible”?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

Do the directional arrows on gem slot links matter on gear or is it just “4 linked slots will apply to each other if possible”?

THose are not arrows lol, it doesn't matter

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

FZeroRacer posted:

i was gonna say 33k armor seems a bit low and i see why; Slayer is the issue sadly. They're really good at low end to mid end bone zone, but with an axe like that I would honestly reroll into juggernaut because at that point you'd deal a lot more damage and be far more tanky. Slayer doesn't have a good way to outright mitigate the sheer amount of stacks you can generate with the amount of aspd you can now get on 2h weapons.

Doesn't the armor phys reduction cap at 90%? I'm already there so that shouldn't be it. But yeah, I know Jugg is tankier but I had never rolled Slayer before. I'm not trying to reroll and play the same skill so I'll stick with the plan of saving to up swap over to Static Strike autobomber.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Papercut posted:

THose are not arrows lol, it doesn't matter

Ok cool. That would have made jeweler orbs much more irritating.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

shimmy shimmy posted:

Anyone do an actual bow build this league that they liked? Not really looking at TR or EA.

Yeah shim rain was really good basically ssf through maps. I only struggled with a few single target bosses but that was more my stubbornness to not buy anything and swap to crit. I'm swapping over from rain to tornado shot and tshot totems but if yoy don't like tshot I think lightning arrow is a real build.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Frank Frank posted:

Ok cool. That would have made jeweler orbs much more irritating.

The only thing socket order matters for is for triggered skills, in which case they trigger in order starting from top left.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Doesn't the armor phys reduction cap at 90%? I'm already there so that shouldn't be it. But yeah, I know Jugg is tankier but I had never rolled Slayer before. I'm not trying to reroll and play the same skill so I'll stick with the plan of saving to up swap over to Static Strike autobomber.
armor isn't a flat damage reduction like resistances, it's a scaling one. you require more armor (like, a lot more armor) to mitigate phys hits as the amount of damage the hit does goes up. to roughly prevent half of the damage of a hit, you need ~5x the armor. at 30 stacks of boneshatter it's dealing ~6000 damage to yourself. with all of your mitigation factors calculated in, you're taking around 1000 physical damage a swing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nexous posted:

1. The explosive arrow totems will be enough for almost all packs. Buttons 2 and 3 will enhance the totem damage on uniques/bosses/tanky rares

2. Don’t bother with buttons 2 and 3 90% of the time

3. AHK is fine

just quoting this reply because it's basically the same thing the other posts said too and thanking everyone at once. lol I thought for some reason you NEEDED the trap to make the ballista do its main damage, glad that's not the case (I didn't think so based on a video I skimmed so I was surprised to read about it)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah the problem is Slayer has a soft cap on recovery while Jugg doesn't.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

FZeroRacer posted:

armor isn't a flat damage reduction like resistances, it's a scaling one. you require more armor (like, a lot more armor) to mitigate phys hits as the amount of damage the hit does goes up. to roughly prevent half of the damage of a hit, you need ~5x the armor. at 30 stacks of boneshatter it's dealing ~6000 damage to yourself. with all of your mitigation factors calculated in, you're taking around 1000 physical damage a swing.

Ah that makes sense. I'll see if there's some minor upgrades I can do around the edges but my gear is already pretty tip top.

e: random Q: Does the "% physical damage from hits taken as lightning damage" work for boneshatter self damage? Does that count as hits?

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 16, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

quote:

The damage taken per Trauma stack counts as a hit, which means that skills like Vengeance will trigger. It also allows your armour prevent some of the physical damage taken. However, the damage cannot be blocked.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

shimmy shimmy posted:

Anyone do an actual bow build this league that they liked? Not really looking at TR or EA.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah shim rain was really good basically ssf through maps. I only struggled with a few single target bosses but that was more my stubbornness to not buy anything and swap to crit. I'm swapping over from rain to tornado shot and tshot totems but if yoy don't like tshot I think lightning arrow is a real build.

Thanks!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

euphronius posted:

What is the chieftain exploding totem build ?

This is the pobbin that the dude posted on pathofexilebuilds subreddit, it just says EK as a mock-up for PoB purposes because there is no "skill" for the totems blowing up. It throws traps that summon Devouring Totems which immediately die and boom due to totem limit. - https://pobb.in/RWaY4870VB_I

:stonklol:

Even if you only use one Redblade and a shield, that's still uber-deleting. Tempting.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool thanks, so those body armor mods are worth while. I think I can get some more on the helmet too.

e: and if I am reading it right this should be good too

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 16, 2023

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Mostly just making a post so I can find my old posts in the thread real quick but for some actual content, I have to say Rage Vortex with a good chunk of investment is absolutely crazy. Here is my PoB with no real PoB warrioring (only somewhat tenuous assumption is that the elemental ailment magnitudes are capped):

https://pobb.in/dTWRLB1l6F3g

The missing flask is a Progenesis, not showing up because it's foil.

This is snapshotted DPS after the following, which are almost always all true after a few seconds on a boss:

-Intimidating Cry
-Ancestral Totems are up
-Trinity has procced
-Frenzy charges have procced
-Elemental ailments have procced

Basically, you walk in to a boss arena, weapon swap to a Redblade Banner and Intimidating Cry to cap Rage and exert your next 2 attacks just before it spawns, then swap back and cast one Rage Vortex to proc everything. The second Rage Vortex a few seconds later will do the DPS in the PoB (and so will subsequent ones assuming buffs are kept up).

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 16, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Mostly just making a post so I can find my old posts in the thread real quick but for some actual content, I have to say Rage Vortex with a good chunk of investment is absolutely crazy. Here is my PoB with no real PoB warrioring (only somewhat tenuous assumption is that the elemental ailment magnitudes are capped):

https://pobb.in/dTWRLB1l6F3g

The missing flask is a Progenesis, not showing up because it's foil.

This is snapshotted DPS after the following, which are almost always all true after a few seconds on a boss:

-Intimidating Cry
-Ancestral Totems are up
-Trinity has procced
-Frenzy charges have procced
-Elemental ailments have procced

Basically, you walk in to a boss arena, weapon swap to a Redblade Banner and Intimidating Cry to cap Rage and exert your next 2 attacks just before it spawns, then swap back and cast one Rage Vortex to proc everything. The second Rage Vortex a few seconds later will do the DPS in the PoB (and so will subsequent ones assuming buffs are kept up).

Looks pretty sweet but I'm always a little skeptical of builds with abyssus. How's it do for major bosses and general map threats?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
So uh, this is where I'm at right now:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/sony/view-profile/MrFrankFrank/characters

Don't mind the FR rings. I'm in that part of act 4 where everything is fire all the time and I have others I swap to as need dictates. A lot of the gems I have socketed at the moment are just there to gain xp for my end-game build. I'm assuming that's ok? Slots aren't going to do anything else - might as well use them for something. As far as attack patterns go, I'm firing up herald of agony, kiting enemies on top of me then hitting withering step, smashing the poo poo out of blade vortex then dropping plague bearer. Has been ok up until now but I've gotten overwhelmed with damage now and then. There are bastards in the mines that detonate when they die who just instantly kill me if I don't dodge out of the way. Knives + pierce support are a crutch I lean on when I have to try and kite things but the poison specialization wears most things down (at which point I can just run in and vortex stuff to death). Knives aren't part of the endgame build.

Am I at least on the right track?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

pmchem posted:

my league softcore guy is late act 3. I wanna give a shout out to poem and others in the guild who have helped me out. the guild features are very friendly toward helping each other via gear and dedicated chat.

How that Tabula gets you far in life lol.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Looks pretty sweet but I'm always a little skeptical of builds with abyssus. How's it do for major bosses and general map threats?

Abyssus is probably not required. The damage would still be insane without it. I should probably give it a try.

The playstyle is pretty unique thanks to the Petrified Blood + Eternal Youth + Dissolution of the Flesh combo. You are very tanky, but you need to stop taking damage for 2 seconds in order for your life bar reservation to reset. That's part of where doing insane damage helps out.

General mapping is trivial as long as you don't take dumb altar mods. Pinnacle bosses are really easy and fall over in a couple seconds. Uber Bosses are a bit harder. Although I can phase them in less than 10 seconds, most of them have really strong degens that are difficult to avoid in order for my life bar to reset.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Abyssus is probably not required. The damage would still be insane without it. I should probably give it a try.

The playstyle is pretty unique thanks to the Petrified Blood + Eternal Youth + Dissolution of the Flesh combo. You are very tanky, but you need to stop taking damage for 2 seconds in order for your life bar reservation to reset. That's part of where doing insane damage helps out.

General mapping is trivial as long as you don't take dumb altar mods. Pinnacle bosses are really easy and fall over in a couple seconds. Uber Bosses are a bit harder. Although I can phase them in less than 10 seconds, most of them have really strong degens that are difficult to avoid in order for my life bar to reset.

Sounds fun, I saved the POB for future consideration. Whats the rough budget of the build?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there any confirmed info on what weights are used to determine which crucible tree mods stay and which get merged over when you use a forge? Is it just that revealed mods have more weight?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Sounds fun, I saved the POB for future consideration. Whats the rough budget of the build?

Required build-enabling uniques:
Kaom's Spirit -- 15c
Dissolution of the Flesh -- 100c

Elemental Ailment immunity (essentially required)
Can be achieved several ways, but one cheap early way is to get 3x Grand Spectrums with the elemental ailment avoidance mod (75c total).

Technically not required, but your dps will be poo poo without them:
Voidforge -- 9 div -- this item is really the star of the show; there's no real reason to play the build without this imo. The 2H physical version does significantly less DPS.
The Interrogation -- 45c

Easy big DPS upgrades:
Bear's Girdle -- 3c
Rage Vortex helm enchant on any armor base helm -- 90c
or on an Abyssus -- 80c

Luxury big DPS upgrades
Stranglegasp + anointments -- roughly 5-6 div
Kaom's Spirit with ele weakness corrupt -- 5 div

The rest are all rares for life and resists. So really it's a Voidforge plus a few more div to get some easy big DPS upgrades, get the two build-enabling uniques, and get life and resists. I'd put a reasonable estimate at 15-20 div total.

My actual POB is more in the 100 div+ range, but I've been playing the build exclusively all league and have sunk all my currency into it.

Last thing, I would really recommend leveling to 67 (req. level for Voidforge) as something else. League start was pretty rough for me, although playable once I got uber lab complete. I didn't really start enjoying it until I had the Voidforge.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I had a Winterheart ( :shrug: ) and a Bloodsoaked Medallion drop for me; not the best rolls but the 28% chaos reg + life per kill & hit is sweet for my RF Jugg. :dance:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Squee posted:

I've started using a mana flask as detailed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvQqzIUqnZA&t=1s instead of running mana leech, plus using lightning warp instead of arc. It definitely feels way faster for mapping, you can just hold down right click and teleport around deleting packs. I am still running Stampede tho so the teleporting helps with the lack of movespeed.
The key is to use arcane cloak, wait 3-4 seconds and then I mash the mana flask 3-4 times. This will generally cause my mana to hit full right as cloak is coming back off CD, which pretty much solves mana problems. This is enough for 99% of the fights, assuming I don't accidentally grab an altar that gives less flask charges or something.

Ailments are tough still tho, I have one of my flasks for bleed immunity and then run the ignite/burning ground lesser pantheon, and hope my 50% chaos res helps mitigate poisons mostly.

Cool, thanks for the tips! Guessing a mana flask setup might help more yeah

Got this bad boy, not sure what it will sell for though as only 3 at 83+ on trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t you use it in your cyclone build