Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

1. The easy way to save power when transcoding 4k is to use hardware transcoding options such as in the newer Intel CPUs like Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. The i3-12100T is an excellent option there and I'm not 100% sure how good AMD's transcoding is but I tend to use AMD when I'm not going to use hardware encoding such as for encoding experiments.
2. You can get 5400 RPM drives to idle or even stop when using unRAID that won't be really possible with a ZFS RAIDZ setup which should save a lot of power in theory depending upon usage patterns.

To help ensure lowest power usage you'll want to have a PSU rated somewhere around maybe 40% higher than the expected target load and to pay a little more for at least gold or platinum rated PSUs (there's no point in the craziness for titanium here IMO). For example, if you're targeting 100w usage when transcoding + reading from drives you should be somewhere near 150w. Thing is, there's not exactly a lot of PSUs rated that low with gold / platinum certs.

Each fan uses some power as well, so you'll want to have larger fans with higher CFM spec and higher static pressure as well to keep air moving across the drives (this is likely going to result in louder fans, let's be honest).

For reference, I've got a i3-4130 CPU with 2x8GB of UDIMMs along with 16 various SATA drives in a DAS + 8 more local running about 280w across a 800w Supermicro 1U PSU and a 400w ATX PSU. This is going to be lower once I properly integrate everything together into the same chassis with the i5-12400 that I undervolt and power limit and get rid of 8 of the drives.

If power usage is a real big deal, I'd spend extra on higher density drives (16TB+ currently), reduce the number of drives to maybe 6, use unRAID, use the lightest feature motherboard possible, drop to the lowest PSU capacity reasonable (probably going to be around a 300w if you don't use weird micro and pico PSU oddballs), and tune something like an i3-12100T or maybe even the Comet Lake i3 to even lower. That should get you down to probably less than 35w during most media use cases. I saw someone on a German forum that got their i3 down to maybe 10w idle including their motherboard but I think they did some crazy mods to make it so low.
This is very helpful thanks! Can you confirm the anecdotes I've read that 2.5" drives are generally lower power draw than 3.5" drives? Is this something I should care about here, or will Unraid shutting them down most of the day minimize that difference anyway?

Though it is still important, I am less concerned with power usage during media playback which will typically be a few hours in the evenings. Much more important is the idle power usage the rest of the day/night, when it's just running the dog camera and maybe some home energy monitoring stuff.

I can't seem to find the i3-12100T for sale online, just the F which has a significantly higher power rating from what I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

This is very helpful thanks! Can you confirm the anecdotes I've read that 2.5" drives are generally lower power draw than 3.5" drives? Is this something I should care about here, or will Unraid shutting them down most of the day minimize that difference anyway?

Though it is still important, I am less concerned with power usage during media playback which will typically be a few hours in the evenings. Much more important is the idle power usage the rest of the day/night, when it's just running the dog camera and maybe some home energy monitoring stuff.

I can't seem to find the i3-12100T for sale online, just the F which has a significantly higher power rating from what I can tell.
Essentially the 2.5" drives are laptop drives that are generally optimized for low power. Even at idle a 3.5" drive will use another watt or two more than a 2.5" or 1.8" laptop style hard drive (as opposed to a 2.5" SAS drive that can murder your power bill and ears). Unraid will spin up the individual drives when you actually need them to access your data and I personally wouldn't care too much given the savings of larger 3.5" drives will likely outweigh the cost premium of the 2.5" drives in practice.

T series CPUs are usually only available through OEM channels so you'll have to get them via Ebay probably. The T is really important if you're focused upon idle power and I'd consider it mandatory if you're trying to shave off watts.

jawbroken posted:

If you're me: Mac Studio/Mini connected to a Thunderbolt enclosure, running OpenZFS. The compute part will idle at 7-13W and it can easily transcode many 4K streams simultaneously. Intel/AMD power consumption just looks ridiculous these days.
Not the worst idea although rather overkill with that class of machine. I did it with an external SAS HBA for funsies and got pretty solid throughput from a MacBook Pro, but the power consumption of the external enclosure along with its size being roughly the same as another mini ITX box was silly and now I'm trying to sell it because I don't have much use for it anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if I could make an iPad Pro that runs OpenZFS and also run my containers serve as a powerful home server.

Really, 90% of the reason I care at all about x86 for home use (and arguably professional) is software compatibility with various pre-compiled programs and the ability to have more than 64GB of RAM in a single node server. My Handbrake encodes are faster on my M1 MacBook Pro than on the i5-12400 I got and the M1 even idles lower along with the chipset.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

jawbroken posted:

If you're me: Mac Studio/Mini connected to a Thunderbolt enclosure, running OpenZFS. The compute part will idle at 7-13W and it can easily transcode many 4K streams simultaneously. Intel/AMD power consumption just looks ridiculous these days.

Does the bolded part apply for Plex transcoding of 4k HDR remuxes, or are these transcodes using other software? My understanding was Plex hardware transcoding only supports Intel and nVidia, but I was wondering if AS Mac CPUs were fast enough to handle this reliably without hardware transcoding support. What I gathered was doing the HDR tone mapping in addition the 4k transcode is where things get dicey without hardware support, but last I checked I couldn't find a consensus on how well M1s and M2s handle that.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I don't have a great way to benchmark how many are possible at once (M1 Ultra, 128GB RAM), but if you have a good idea then I can test it. It's never been a problem with 4+ simultaneous 4K → 1080p transcodes, but I'm not sure about the HDR angle. Plex Media Server has been native for a while on Apple Silicon, but I don't know to what extent they take advantage of hardware transcoding.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bawfuls posted:

Looking at something like this for an Unraid setup. Primary uses will be NAS/jellyfin server & host for dog/nanny cam, eventually may add some home energy monitoring stuff etc.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (or Intel equivalent, what's better for me?)
Motherboard
ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage
4x Seagate 5 TB 2.5" 5400 RPM External HDD (from Costco, shucked)
Storage
MSI SPATIUM M470 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Case
Fractal Design Ridge Mini ITX Tower Case (case needs to be small enough to fit in available living room space and pretty enough to be acceptable to wife)
Power Supply
be quiet! SFX L Power 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

I have two concerns that I hope this thread can help me with:
1) is this hardware sufficient for streaming/transcoding 4k video?
2) how low can I get idle power consumption?

From what I can tell the answer to #1 is likely yes. As for #2, pcpartpicker says this kind of setup is going to pull ~250W and that is just way too much for something I want to leave running 24/7. I've read that some significant power savings can be had by selecting 2.5" HDDs, which could require shucking (I don't mind).

Is it possible to build a NAS/home server with hardware beefy enough to transcode 4k but which also sips power when idle? I'd love to be around 25W at idle, could live with 50W, but 100W+ is a dealbreaker considering the criminal rates SDGE charges these days. (1W running 24/7/365 is about $5 per year)

Any major cost saving opportunities I'm missing here?

honestly for something like that an N5105 or N6005 with 16gb of ram and a 4 bay USB3 JBOD would be more than adequate, before I got the ML30 I had something similar with an older j4125 it idled at like 8w with the drives spun down

if you wanted to go beefier, the ML30 I replaced it with has 6 3.5” 5400rpm drives, 2 nvmes, a quadro P400, and 32gb of ram and idles around 50w

I have a similarly equipped gen10+ microserver that idles a little lower around 40-45w

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 14, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

bawfuls posted:

2.5" drives certainly use less power, but how much space do you need? Because a 1* 10TB 3.5" drive should use quite a bit less than a 5* 2TB 2.5" drives. If you only need a few terabytes a SSD could be a better option.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

2.5" HDDs are not relevant for NAS use unless you're extremely space constrained.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wibla posted:

2.5" HDDs are not relevant for NAS use unless you're extremely space constrained.

Or you need a bit more performance or redundancy in a similar sized box but you don't want to pay for an all-SSD setup.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eh, 2.5" SAS drives around 2-3TB that can be had for decommissioning them can still be used for NAS.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Eh, 2.5" SAS drives around 2-3TB that can be had for decommissioning them can still be used for NAS.

Those can be a good deal, yeah. But buying consumer 2.5" HDDs is a crapshoot where you can end up with SMR drives (for larger capacity 2.5"), and that's what I thought he was referring to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wibla posted:

Those can be a good deal, yeah. But buying consumer 2.5" HDDs is a crapshoot where you can end up with SMR drives (for larger capacity 2.5"), and that's what I thought he was referring to.
Ah yeah, that's definitely the wrong way to go.

A data recovery company has published a blog article with some numbers that indicate that SMR, especially if used for anything other than WORM, last suspiciously less time.
Do note that it's entirely possible their data is biased a bit.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The only 2.5" drives I'd consider for functional NAS use are SAS hard drives that are unlikely to be what's under consideration. Really for a NAS the first step is to determine capacity and work down from there to figure out where your physical form factor and parts are compatible. It's not like someone's going to be able to store 200 TB today in something the size of a shoebox that idles at 5w and transfers at 40 GbE speeds with 1M IOPS, but in the future I'd bet on it, sure.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Saukkis posted:

2.5" drives certainly use less power, but how much space do you need? Because a 1* 10TB 3.5" drive should use quite a bit less than a 5* 2TB 2.5" drives. If you only need a few terabytes a SSD could be a better option.
I only have a couple TB worth of media to dump on it now, but I’d like to not have to think about capacity constraints for a few years. So I dunno maybe 10-20 TB for now with the option to add more later.

What’s the sweet spot for cost/capacity/redundancy/power consumption? SSDs are presumably lower power but I figured they tend to not be the NAS choice because of cost?

When I search pcpartpicker for SATA drives and sort by $/GB the four cheapest are 2.5” HDDs at 2-5TB each, then it’s a bunch of 2TB SSDs Search was being limited by the case i had in there, whoops. Then I search Newegg and there’s much larger drives for the same or better price/Gb. Should I have a preference on rpm? Is slower more or less power efficient?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 15, 2023

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
10-20 TB, that's it? Seems like you'd likely never need more than this case https://www.jonsbo.com/en/products/N2Black.html and slap in a couple 18 TB drives in RAID1 or maybe just a couple 4 TB drives. Heck, I've got a stack of 8 TB drives I'm selling off now, goon discount pricing of $40 each shipped to the lower 48 states.

bawfuls posted:

Should I have a preference on rpm? Is slower more or less power efficient?
Lower RPMs tend to mean lower power usage in terms of mechanics and also tend to produce lower heat as well (can't produce more aggregate thermal energy than the energy put into the system after all). 5400 RPMs are where most green and NAS type hard drives sit and can use less than a few watts at a time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I had been looking at that exact case actually, it's the right size, has room for more drives down the road, and also comes in white.

2x8TB sounds like a good place to start, so maybe I'll take you up on that and save $100 if you haven't sold them all before I start this build in a month or so.

Having trouble finding an SFX PSU under 500W with enough SATA connectors for future drive expansion but maybe the HDD riser board thing in that case makes this unnecessary? Looks like that is the case, the 5 HDDs are powered by 2x 4pin molex connectors.

PSU options seem to be a 300W Bronze rated non-modular, or 500W Gold rated modular, both Silverstone. Is 300W too close to the estimated ~250W peak? Will the modular Gold rated 500W be more efficient anyway?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 15, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Could also go 3x8 in raid5/raidz and get ~16TB for another $40. Different IOPS/throughput tradeoff than a mirror, but not in a way you're likely to notice.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There might be a better thread for this, but is there some kind of device/cable that would let me easily hook up internal (sata/ide?) HDDs to a PC via USB or something?

I've got some old PCs I wanna get rid off but I probably should get the drives out and and pull stuff off of them without the hassle of having to open up another PC or figure out which things I gotta connect. (The amount of times I forget that some of those old drives need both power and data cables)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I use one of these

https://amzn.eu/d/0ExpBv2

No good for IDE but SATA has been the standard for decades now and I’ve not needed to touch IDE for a long time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Startech do just about every combination of single/dual/quad, SATA/IDE you could possible need.
https://www.startech.com/en-gb/hdd/docking

Less convenient to use but more convenient to find room in the cupboard are the cable style adapters rather than docks. Depends how much it's going to be used.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've got one of these for managing SATA SSDs and HDDs over USB and it's worked great with every drive I've tried it on

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

PSU options seem to be a 300W Bronze rated non-modular, or 500W Gold rated modular, both Silverstone. Is 300W too close to the estimated ~250W peak? Will the modular Gold rated 500W be more efficient anyway?
Ratings are kind of hand waved generalities and a "good" bronze rated PSU will always be better than one that barely hit platinum and uses trash components and such. A high quality PSU can potentially run for a few minutes or even hours at above its rating for some time without any damage. People tend to focus upon having a ton of PSU wattage headroom for factors like transient current spikes common with gaming setups but most computing scenarios besides games tend to be pretty straightforward ramp up and down patterns.

I guess I should note that I got one of the Seasonic 1U / TFX PSUs off of Newegg about 10 years ago and it's the only PSU I've ever had that outright died in all my years of nerddom. Quite possible it's due to a crappy UPS with bad simulated sinusoidal waves but perhaps not.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Similar to Pablo's suggestion, I have a Sabrent HDD dock I bought probably a decade ago that's great if you find yourself frequently pulling drives from systems or swapping cold storage drives.

This is the current version
https://a.co/d/irzihJ0

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I've been using a QNAP Arm v7 4-bay NAS for the last five years or so, no complaints. I've been testing out media streaming using a desktop pc running plex server as the NAS' processor won't handle transcoding.

Are there advantages to building a new 'server' desktop with GPU hardware that run services like plex and handle NAS features, or are these things better kept discrete?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

buildmorefarms posted:

I've been using a QNAP Arm v7 4-bay NAS for the last five years or so, no complaints. I've been testing out media streaming using a desktop pc running plex server as the NAS' processor won't handle transcoding.

Are there advantages to building a new 'server' desktop with GPU hardware that run services like plex and handle NAS features, or are these things better kept discrete?

really depends what you’re going to do with it, quicksync on the latest crop of celerons is excellent if you want something cheap and efficient

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

e.pilot posted:

really depends what you’re going to do with it, quicksync on the latest crop of celerons is excellent if you want something cheap and efficient

i'll look into that line of processors, thanks. wouldn't expect more than 2-3 concurrent transcodes at max depending on when/where the family are travelling, and if there's no killer advantage to having the NAS and server combined then i'll leave them separate

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone been experimenting with the Unraid ZFS stuff so far?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone been experimenting with the Unraid ZFS stuff so far?

No but I want to hear about it too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, you get to keep it all in one device and have to janitor fewer devices. Also my unraid server will transcode on CPU just fine. You might not even need a GPU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Mostly interested as a parachute option for when TrueNAS gets too much a pain in the rear end in regards to base system immutability and interfering with me running Docker. Seems like a storm's coming up this fall in that regard.

Tried to give Unraid a quick try in a VM, but for some reason it insists booting off an USB stick to get some serial to tie itself to. Is annoying for a trial run.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah, you get to keep it all in one device and have to janitor fewer devices. Also my unraid server will transcode on CPU just fine. You might not even need a GPU

if you’re getting into any 4k content you’ll definitely want hardware transcode

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Mostly interested as a parachute option for when TrueNAS gets too much a pain in the rear end in regards to base system immutability and interfering with me running Docker. Seems like a storm's coming up this fall in that regard.

Tried to give Unraid a quick try in a VM, but for some reason it insists booting off an USB stick to get some serial to tie itself to. Is annoying for a trial run.

e: nevermind, went back a page and got it

What's your issue with TrueNAS? I recently migrated to TrueNAS Scale and now all my *arrs are nicely tucked away in natively supported docker containers, and apparently even GPU forwarding works for the Plex docker image, though I haven't tried it.

Migration from Core to Scale was completely effortless, had to run one console command to fix some minor issue, that was all.

Xenthalon fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 17, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just realized the ITX board I had selected only has 1 Gb/s Ethernet, I assume it’s worth the extra $20 to get one that’s 2.5 Gb/s capable since I have fiber and my router is capable of that speed?

Are there any specific chipsets to avoid?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 17, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

bawfuls posted:

Just realized the ITX board I had selected only has 1 Gb/s Ethernet, I assume it’s worth the extra $20 to get one that’s 2.5 Gb/s capable since I have fiber and my router is capable of that speed?

Are there any specific chipsets to avoid?

Does your router have 2.5Gb (or better) on it? Won't make much difference if that's capped at 1Gb/s and ISPs are hardly known for never cutting corners.

Avoid Intel i225 network controllers, they often don't work well or at all. My current desktop motherboard has an i225 and it would just drop connections constantly until I gave up and bought a PCIe ethernet card with a Realtek chip and used that instead and that was instantly rock-solid. There's an i226 as well but I believe it's not really any better.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Router has a single 5 Gb/s port, the rest are 1 Gb/s, so I guess I’ll still be limited to 1 Gb/s within my network

The cheaper board has an intel i219 but the upgrade is Realtek so it sounds like that’s better long term anyway. Also comes with an M.2 heatsink which the other one doesn’t.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2023

CPU Abuser
Oct 3, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 86 days!

bawfuls posted:

Should I have a preference on rpm? Is slower more or less power efficient?

I've been running an zraid2 built on 12 2 TB Samsung HD204UI 5400 RPM drives for 10 freaking years.

OMFG, I wish Samsung was still making hard drives. :(

You have to use a fire ax or a 12 gauge or a 10 pound sledgehammer to kill an HD204UI. And maybe not even then. The only drive I've lost so far was in the first week, before I had anything but test data in the array.

But I suspect that low rotational velocity has something to do with the service life too.

And if Michael W. Lucas is to be believed, the real bottleneck will be your NICs and your switch, unless you're rich enough to go 10gigabit on your whole network.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

10gbe optics is silly cheap, DAC/AOC cables are too, used cards are also reasonably priced, to the point where running direct 10gbe between the machines that need it is not a big deal anymore. FS.com has most of what you need.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wibla posted:

10gbe optics is silly cheap, DAC/AOC cables are too, used cards are also reasonably priced, to the point where running direct 10gbe between the machines that need it is not a big deal anymore. FS.com has most of what you need.

even 10gbe switches are approaching affordable now

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bawfuls posted:

Router has a single 5 Gb/s port, the rest are 1 Gb/s, so I guess I’ll still be limited to 1 Gb/s within my network

The cheaper board has an intel i219 but the upgrade is Realtek so it sounds like that’s better long term anyway. Also comes with an M.2 heatsink which the other one doesn’t.

Just to clarify, intel network cards are usually good; I would normally see them as an upgrade over realtek. That i219 would probably never give you a problem.

Which makes the i225 and i226 even more baffling.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My NAS storage controller(soldered obvs) is dying(it lost all disks outside of the cpu provided ones after boot). Nowadays I only use the NAS to be a VPN server, UPNP server, unifi controller server and scan to share provider. Personal docs and photos storage is on onedrive. Am I insane in thinking of replacing the upnp and scan to share features with a couple of 64-256gb usb stick, junking the unifi kit to swap it with a cloud managed equivalent, setting up a rpi4 as wireguard server and not replacing the NAS? I'm not feeling buying several grand of chassis when it's mostly under/unused.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Not crazy no, though I think you can run unifi controller software in the Pi if that helps.