Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

neonchameleon posted:

They've said that they switched because the combat rules were more streamlined with fewer floating modifiers to bog things down.

Also something about how Pathfinder didn't have gun-slinging they liked but Matt could homebrew it in 5E easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

On another chapter of "People try to use 5E as a Square Peg on a Round Hole" I present: HISTORICAL AMERICAN REVOLUTION IN 5E

Turns out they’re focused on education (they’ll send any educator a free copy) and it is substantially easier to just use 5e for familiarity reasons. I have no idea if they’re any good at their mission but the reasoning makes sense to me.

Northern Crown was always a bit clunky, though.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Arivia posted:

A little bit. It was mostly framing to have a biased narrator (or two) for sourcebooks that were normally written from an omniscient perspective, so it wasn't nearly as necessary. It got phased out in most publications in 3e, and was gone in 4e nearly completely. The only exceptions were columns Ed writes by himself.

Nah, you end up in 4th again: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dawnbringer_(novel)

I have updated my ridiculous notions accordingly, thanks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plutonis posted:

On another chapter of "People try to use 5E as a Square Peg on a Round Hole" I present: HISTORICAL AMERICAN REVOLUTION IN 5E
Just play Times That Fry Men's Souls instead, it's like $5

Its biggest mechanical flaw is using D&D OSR rules for a setting where armor really isn't a thing. Which is also a problem for a 5e adaptation.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Plutonis posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flagbearergames/the-american-crisis-a-nations-and-cannons-adventure-for-dnd-5e

Roll 1d10 damage for being shot with a cannonball at Bunker Hill!

While once again looking for a super hero game, I found out there's like 3 different 5e super hero adaptations and I don't like that at all!! DND barely does its genre conventions well! the ludonarrative is gonna be dissonant as hell

edit: oh word

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 13, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I had this idea that D20 Testament would stand as a...well...testament to how you shouldn't do every genre in D20 just because you can. Welp,

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

3 Action Economist posted:

The battle occurred on Breed's Hill, although poor map skills led to its being called the battle of Bunker Hill.

Also the cannonballs would have likely been fired from ships for that one.

But to keep this relevant: 5e is a truffle system for horse and musket play.

Honestly I'm not sure what you would even do in an AWI RPG.

I mean, Flames of Freedom is like almost 700 pages long, so I guess someone figured out something to do in an AWI game.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Honestly I'm not sure what you would even do in an AWI RPG.

The tv series Turn: Washington's Spies was pretty decent, maybe something based on that?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cessna posted:

The tv series Turn: Washington's Spies was pretty decent, maybe something based on that?

A spy saga could work (but that show is historically awful).

Something akin to a small group on the frontier would also work, like Last of the Mohicans except AWI instead of F&I/SYW.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A spy saga could work (but that show is historically awful).

I can't really disagree. I was just happy to see the AWI get any coverage.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Halloween Jack posted:

Just play Times That Fry Men's Souls instead, it's like $5

Its biggest mechanical flaw is using D&D OSR rules for a setting where armor really isn't a thing. Which is also a problem for a 5e adaptation.

Armor class in the times of massed firearms and lack of body armor is just how much plot armor you have. Your highest stat should probably determine your ac in that case.

Halloween Jack posted:

I had this idea that D20 Testament would stand as a...well...testament to how you shouldn't do every genre in D20 just because you can. Welp,

Testament is rad and I still want to run it some day because deriving Daniel’s attack bonus from his bard levels is hilarious.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cessna posted:

Revolutionaries goes that way; you’re playing Culper Ring agents.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

Armor class in the times of massed firearms and lack of body armor is just how much plot armor you have. Your highest stat should probably determine your ac in that case.
The whole thing just begs to be converted to Black Hack, where everything is roll-under-ability-score, and PCs roll to defend instead of monsters rolling to attack. In that system armor is a special rule that works differently depending on the edition/version you're using.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The whole thing just begs to be converted to Black Hack, where everything is roll-under-ability-score, and PCs roll to defend instead of monsters rolling to attack. In that system armor is a special rule that works differently depending on the edition/version you're using.

Armor in The Black Hack 2E is my favorite implementation of the concept, and I work it into every OSR hack I make.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It does feel a little funny to call them "armor dice" when the die-rolling aspect only comes in when you try to repair them. I feel like I should be rolling them to reduce the damage or something.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ominous Jazz posted:

While once again looking for a super hero game, I found out there's like 3 different 5e super hero adaptations and I don't like that at all!! DND barely does its genre conventions well! the ludonarrative is gonna be dissonant as hell

edit: oh word

S5E is actually a very good superhero game which surprised me. I still like Spectaculars better ,though.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/416942/S5E-Superheroic-Roleplaying-for-5th-Edition

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/11203/Scratchpad-Publishing/subcategory/31310/Spectaculars

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

It does feel a little funny to call them "armor dice" when the die-rolling aspect only comes in when you try to repair them. I feel like I should be rolling them to reduce the damage or something.

I misread 'reduce' as 'seduce"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
*sexily removes armor die to convince the gargoyle to do no damage this round*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pvt.Scott posted:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

*sexily removes armor die to convince the gargoyle to do no damage this round*
OGLAF RPG beta looking good.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
your... other honor

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chaosium may have found the best use for AI, Elder.

It sounds like an FAQ+ trained on the game's rules, which is a pretty great alternative to seeing what Reddit thinks about a rules question.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On the other hand, you probably don't want a rules question-answering machine to immediately reverse itself if told it's wrong, which most semantic AIs will happily do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh boy, AI. It answers so many questions that I never loving asked

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

On the other hand, you probably don't want a rules question-answering machine to immediately reverse itself if told it's wrong, which most semantic AIs will happily do.

We all know they’re just saying it’s an AI; it’s actually the Mi-Go.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I can't wait for it to summon an Elder God.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Narsham posted:

We all know they’re just saying it’s an AI; it’s actually the Mi-Go.

The Answerer in Darkness

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

The Answerer in Darkness

Pickman’s Language Model

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Mors Rattus posted:

Or to just make poo poo up that sounds convincing, as most large language models will do.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, we've all been using poo poo like Siri and Alexa for years now, and those, when they came out, were promoted as a kind of AI. The term "AI" is already polluted to the point of uselessness. Using some of the same big data/data mining/natural language interfaces/LLM software techniques to make a more responsive, easier to use search for technical documentation is a thing my own employer is pursuing and I assume it's common in the industry now. It makes a lot of sense for the TG space too.

Basically, a model that can parse prompts in a sophisticated way and then produce appropriate responses doesn't have to intentionally ignore accuracy. And it if you're writing it to expose your own content, you have no issues with reproducing that content verbatim because you own the copyright to your material, so you don't have to build in obfuscation and rehashing and poo poo, you can just treat it a lot more like a search engine, per Siri/Alexa etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Been said before, possibly ITT, but I think I agree that 'AI' stuff getting co-opted by the crypto NFT crowd was a sign of the beginning of the end.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Comrade Koba posted:

Pickman’s Language Model
:tviv:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lamuella posted:

Or to just make poo poo up that sounds convincing, as most large language models will do.

And to be fair, that is very human behaviour.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Artificial intelligence can be as stupid as a binary "if this, do that, else do the other thing". It doesn't need to be a 128 layer, 28 million parameter deep convolutional neural network. So, yeah, Siri and Alexa are AI, but their apparent abilities (turn off the kitchen light, play music, etc.) are pretty boring. Anyway, the term "AI" was bloated to the point of uselessness a long, long time ago, even before the internet.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I only want natural grain-feed intelligence

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
It helps that it's Call of Cthulu and inconsistencies in how the universe behaves are a feature not a bug. Bring it up to the keeper? Roll for sanity loss.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Signed up for the 7 day free trial and it seems potentially useful. It seems able to throw out answers to rules queries fairly well (I asked it what sort of magic a cultist of Yig might have and it provided an answer drawing on material from multiple sources and which was accurate) as well as being useful for tossing together original material on the fly (I asked it to make up a new spell for a Yig cultist and it gave me a viable "turn into a snake" spell).

It might not be useful for a game where getting the "right" rules answer is very important - ie, something with very competitive, highly balanced tactical combat, where a sloppy monster design will ruin it. But for a game where an answer which is "close enough" will do (particularly for system stuff the players will never need/want to eyeball anyway), it's perfectly fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Can you tell it that it's wrong and does it immediately reverse its position if you do so like all the other LLMs?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Zak S has claimed another victim in a country with lovely, unbalanced defamation laws.

https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1647678950590779392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wow. Banks is a class act and am industry luminary. That's like punching Santa Claus.