Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
He’s definitely mad about having to buy twitter and all his great ideas and bravado about turning it around are all poo poo and now he’s doing the “haha I did it as a joke can’t you see how funny it is to me it doesn’t matter at all I’m not mad”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I notice the Doge is now gone

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I notice the Doge is now gone

It was definitely an April fool's thing they couldn't figure out how to do in time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harold Fjord posted:

It was definitely an April fool's thing they couldn't figure out how to do in time

Honestly it was up long enough I was beginning to think they couldn't figure out how to change it back.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Honestly it was up long enough I was beginning to think they couldn't figure out how to change it back.

After it was gone it kept momentarily coming back then disappearing again. Might've just been my cache though.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
They probably broke it when they were blocking substack and have no idea how.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm sure people will pay up THIS time!

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1645864045956980737?t=imgdOaAU0QmR3fLsICvizw&s=19

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

and on the weed number, no less :elon:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm sure this time he'll shoot the hostage and make twitter a breeding ground for impersonating corporate accounts if they don't pay up.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

and on the weed number, no less :elon:

For Musk it's Adolf's birthday, for sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder what a big company putting out a viable Twitter competitor would look like. Feels like that'd be something that basically everyone capable of it (and some that aren't) would want in their back pocket given how much they rely on what Musk is clearly intent on running into the ground.

Then again, who would be able to pull that off? First thought is Microsoft, but then again they hosed up this kinda thing a lot of times before and we all know their kind of dysfunction. (probably)

Comedy option: Nintendo brings back Miiverse, and everyone adopts it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What about the Substack "Notes" that Elon was so het up about?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NPR is leaving Twitter because they feel like being on the platform is going to hurt their credibility going forward

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder what a big company putting out a viable Twitter competitor would look like. Feels like that'd be something that basically everyone capable of it (and some that aren't) would want in their back pocket given how much they rely on what Musk is clearly intent on running into the ground.

Then again, who would be able to pull that off? First thought is Microsoft, but then again they hosed up this kinda thing a lot of times before and we all know their kind of dysfunction. (probably)

You have already had that with various Mastodon instances, and they are going about as well as you might expect. Twitter doesn't lend itself to a direct competitor at this point because the interaction model it's built on is inherently toxic, and as a result folks stick around because it's the loudest bullhorn they have access to.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baronash posted:

You have already had that with various Mastodon instances, and they are going about as well as you might expect. Twitter doesn't lend itself to a direct competitor at this point because the interaction model it's built on is inherently toxic, and as a result folks stick around because it's the loudest bullhorn they have access to.

Honestly, that shows that Mastodon is doing better than I expect. Its active user count is more than triple what it was before Musk bought Twitter, and while that's been decreasing (it peaked at almost five times the pre-October userbase), the decline seems to have slowed almost to a stop. Given that Mastodon is a huge pain in the rear end to actually use, I didn't really expect it to have any retention at all.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Out of nowhere, Google++.

Edit: we are sorry to announce that Google++ will be discontinued next month.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's really hard to tell because social media adoption tends to be sudden and explosive.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Yeah, I don't think anything is ever likely to directly fill Twitter's niche in the form of a cataclysmic exodus. You'll see tailored solutions like Mastodon crop up and probably develop user bases in specific areas, but the public slime mold will mostly just stick to Twitter until either all the interesting celebrities have left for Instagram or some other service, or they've been nickel-and-dimed out of enough QoL to not want to use the service any more.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Main Paineframe posted:

Honestly, that shows that Mastodon is doing better than I expect. Its active user count is more than triple what it was before Musk bought Twitter, and while that's been decreasing (it peaked at almost five times the pre-October userbase), the decline seems to have slowed almost to a stop. Given that Mastodon is a huge pain in the rear end to actually use, I didn't really expect it to have any retention at all.

I posted that link because the graph showed the peak nicely, but it only had data through January 2023. The past few months have continued the downward slide, and it dropped below 1.2 million active users this month according to their own metrics.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

My community of foreigners in Japan had a split and a few tech savvy people set up an instance and it’s proven to be quite popular. A lot still continue use Twitter but there is a slow trickle to our instance and the instance is really lively. People seem really happy on the server and it seems really reminiscent of the early internet.

Of course it’s hard for people to find such a soft landing on a new platform but it really worked for us, and it took out the main factor for division. Algorithm driven politics.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

hadji murad posted:

My community of foreigners in Japan had a split and a few tech savvy people set up an instance and it’s proven to be quite popular. A lot still continue use Twitter but there is a slow trickle to our instance and the instance is really lively. People seem really happy on the server and it seems really reminiscent of the early internet.

Of course it’s hard for people to find such a soft landing on a new platform but it really worked for us, and it took out the main factor for division. Algorithm driven politics.

Is this https://mstdn.jp/? None of the tweets seem to have anything to do with Japan and many of them are American political crap.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
As much as I agree that "algorithm driven politics" was a cause for concern, there does still seem to be remnants of it on a few Mastodon instances I know which have a separate feed for "popular, federated" posts. Right now, those feeds are dominated almost entirely by posts complaining about Republicans rolling back healthcare access for women. I have to ask this question: is what I am looking at a genuine response to world events, or is it only there because it agrees with the sensibilities of the instance runner?

Mastodon currently only seems like a more pleasant place to my eyes because fascist content thus far is comparatively difficult to find using any instance main page as a starting point. Is that only because I am not necessarily seeing stuff that I agree with, but rather is not disagreeable enough to be outright repulsive? Would that begin to change the moment even one major conservative content creator/aggregator shows up with a portion of their audience? If the common feed is in any way numbers-driven, then their presence will be immediately felt. Right now, those types seem happy to remain on Twitter, but if the company can't make its interest payments, would that force their hand into the Fediverse? If that happens, would the current systems necessarily survive as they are?

My fear is the fediverse systems I am aware of only appear reasonable because nobody has had a pressing need to game their systems yet. Meanwhile, you can't walk two steps without YouTube "recommending" yet another Jordan Peterson video no matter how much I refuse to watch them, and I don't really see Mastodon having any protections against that sort of thing. Or worse, maybe it is already that way, and I simply don't notice because what it has thus far thrown at me hasn't been toxic enough to make me feel unwelcome there. ... I certainly have been exposed to far more Former US Labour Secretary Robert Reich in the past few months, and while that's not terrible, it is weird.

I'm trying to resist the idea that web software can have editorial biases, and I'm resisting it for some reason I can't quite articulate, but I can't ignore that the evidence is there for it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Original_Z posted:

Is this https://mstdn.jp/? None of the tweets seem to have anything to do with Japan and many of them are American political crap.

That instance seems like a garbage fire and so think it even got banned on the one we use.

At first I thought you linked the one I use (famichiki.jp) and I was really surprised because that wasn’t my experience.

A few people do get into USpol on our instance, but since I don’t really follow those types they stay in the local feed. My home feed is just people who’ve known each other for years shooting the poo poo. I’ve found it fun and because of the atmosphere have a much broader follower base and it’s been a tremendous source of knowledge for me. I find it much nicer than Twitter was.

We are lucky to have the people who set up the server for us because they wanted to make it a nice place Tom e.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NWSIndianapolis/status/1647041454920048640
https://twitter.com/NWS_NTWC/status/1647040102475128832

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have this perverse masochist fascination with leaving YouTube ads on and I swear it’s learned about every major life event I have had in the past three years before my own mother has. When I got engaged it started selling jewelry, it started selling insurance, SUVs, and baby stuff when we had kids, I started getting US Cancer Society ads when the only people who knew were doctors, wife, and the SA cancer thread. It gives me US-based ads dubbed into french.

I know how much data gets scraped but fuckin youtube knows how to drive the big brother feel home. Now watch it sell me NordVPN.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Was this bill already talked about?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/tech/arkansas-social-media-age-limit/index.html

Is this going to do anything? Was the sole purpose to generate bribes for carve outs?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

WarpedLichen posted:

Was this bill already talked about?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/tech/arkansas-social-media-age-limit/index.html

Is this going to do anything? Was the sole purpose to generate bribes for carve outs?

I've not got time atm to read and research it, but there are a lot of social media restriction and regulation bills floating through every state legislature, R and D, in addition to activity from various federal agencies in the area.

Here's a link to the bill itself:
https://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/Bills/Detail?id=SB396&ddBienniumSession=2023%2F2023R

As a general rule at the level of state legislation, whatever else will be true about a bill like this, every draft and revision will also be incompetently drafted. That complicates reading hidden motives into it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 15, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have this perverse masochist fascination with leaving YouTube ads on and I swear it’s learned about every major life event I have had in the past three years before my own mother has.

Not too surprised about Facebook, but drat, that's a wild three years!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I have this perverse masochist fascination with leaving YouTube ads on and I swear it’s learned about every major life event I have had in the past three years before my own mother has. When I got engaged it started selling jewelry, it started selling insurance, SUVs, and baby stuff when we had kids, I started getting US Cancer Society ads when the only people who knew were doctors, wife, and the SA cancer thread. It gives me US-based ads dubbed into french.

I know how much data gets scraped but fuckin youtube knows how to drive the big brother feel home. Now watch it sell me NordVPN.

We're all being classified and tracked, but Also recognize you've sort of primed yourself to see these ads as somehow significant. I mean, did you never see SUV ads before you got engaged ? Does the American Cancer Society even care about showing ads to people who have cancer? Maybe they just care about showing ads to people who have money and you've been flagged as having money.

It would be interesting to do a study to find if ad frequency does actually change after a major life event.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
I keep getting booze and Nordstrom ads on YouTube over Roku, and my desktop recommendations include a lot of church services. Not entirely convinced they got my number just yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I looked at 3D printers a couple of times and then saw nothing but ads for a consumer laser cutter/engraver on every single thing for the past like month

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From here whenever I'm browsing without adblocks it's all solar panel ads.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WarpedLichen posted:

Was the sole purpose to generate bribes for carve outs?

"To perform the age checks, the law relies on third-party companies to verify users’ personal information, such as a driver’s license or photo ID."

So, yes

Montana is also about to pass a bill banning TikTok specifically, starting in 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

haveblue posted:

"To perform the age checks, the law relies on third-party companies to verify users’ personal information, such as a driver’s license or photo ID."

So, yes

Montana is also about to pass a bill banning TikTok specifically, starting in 2024

We regret to inform you the 50 million dollar drivers license database has been hacked . But don't worry we have an interesting offer at 500 million for a captcha/facial recognition based system.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I still have Facebook that I haven’t posted anything on in years, and I check it occasionally. The recommended videos that take up half your feed now are mostly craft videos. They’re labeled 5-minute crafts despite involving tons of tools now one has any access too. Over the last couple years I’ve seen some tatted-up guy reviewing puzzle toys, a guy explaining magic tricks, car upholstery detailing, and the occasional gross/“satisfying” Dr. Pimple Popper-esque dermatology thing.

The weirdest one I’ve gotten, probably some kind algorithmic progression from gnarly hooves getting shaved down, involved a guy holding a big ol’ live hornet in between his fingers, reaching between the segments of the exoskeleton covering its abdomen, and gently pulling some kind of parasitic worms out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

I still have Facebook that I haven’t posted anything on in years, and I check it occasionally. The recommended videos that take up half your feed now are mostly craft videos. They’re labeled 5-minute crafts despite involving tons of tools now one has any access too. Over the last couple years I’ve seen some tatted-up guy reviewing puzzle toys, a guy explaining magic tricks, car upholstery detailing, and the occasional gross/“satisfying” Dr. Pimple Popper-esque dermatology thing.

The weirdest one I’ve gotten, probably some kind algorithmic progression from gnarly hooves getting shaved down, involved a guy holding a big ol’ live hornet in between his fingers, reaching between the segments of the exoskeleton covering its abdomen, and gently pulling some kind of parasitic worms out.

That same thing shows up on sponsored Snapchat stories lately between the fitspiration, thirst trap, and NOT BELIEVING what happened next

Just gonna randomly show shaving an infected cow hoof, then there’s a baby goat that became friends with a baby moose, then there’s how to bee farm

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Dr Christmas posted:

I still have Facebook that I haven’t posted anything on in years, and I check it occasionally. The recommended videos that take up half your feed now are mostly craft videos. They’re labeled 5-minute crafts despite involving tons of tools now one has any access too.

Not sure if these are the specific ones you're getting, but 5 Minute Crafts is a content farm brand name notorious for its absolutely disgusting clickbaiting tactics on videos aimed at kids. There's little to no quality control, many of their crafts are staged and entirely impossible and in the worst cases they're actively dangerous.

I've followed Ann Reardon on YouTube for a few years now, she started off with some awesome debunking videos targeted at 5 min crafts and their ilk, and eventually spiraled into her and her husband leading entire investigative arcs into the shady as gently caress businesses behind the channels.

https://youtu.be/ApO4c2AkLqw

She has some actual academic credentials and often goes into proper chemical / biological detail in the videos.

If I'm not mistaken, the traction she got from the debunking videos helped get her cookbook published so I guess there's an inadvertent social media success story hidden in there. :3:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Teratrain posted:

Not sure if these are the specific ones you're getting, but 5 Minute Crafts is a content farm brand name notorious for its absolutely disgusting clickbaiting tactics on videos aimed at kids. There's little to no quality control, many of their crafts are staged and entirely impossible and in the worst cases they're actively dangerous.

I've followed Ann Reardon on YouTube for a few years now, she started off with some awesome debunking videos targeted at 5 min crafts and their ilk, and eventually spiraled into her and her husband leading entire investigative arcs into the shady as gently caress businesses behind the channels.

https://youtu.be/ApO4c2AkLqw

She has some actual academic credentials and often goes into proper chemical / biological detail in the videos.

If I'm not mistaken, the traction she got from the debunking videos helped get her cookbook published so I guess there's an inadvertent social media success story hidden in there. :3:

I remember her video about Why Fractal Wood Burning is a Bad Idea was temporarily taken off YouTube, but other fractal wood burning videos were still up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZrynWtBDTE

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 17, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It appears that the blue check apocalypse has happened for a lot of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

The check marks are back to meaning "this user is a weird Dutch guy telling you the rocket blowing up is good, actually".