Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Same here, was there a distribution issue?

No idea. You would think if a store gets X prerelease packs they would get X promos.

But what really pissed me off was that they did have promos but they were given out to those with positive win rates. This was told to us by a judge who said "hey maybe if you playing for a 2-1 record maybe give the promo to the loser" followed by "it is against WotC policy to trade wins for prizes". poo poo show all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I went 5-4 running B/W/G in basically phyrexian tribal and abusing every bit of incubate fuckery I pulled. I flipped Invasion of new capenna into holy frazzle cannon in almost all of my matches and it absolutely loving slapped in combination with all the incubate tokens. The splash of green gave me one clutch mana fixer and vorinclex because I guess when you draw a big ol meat stick, you play him. This proved to be an even better decision because flickering converter beast with scrollshift and drawing a card plus an additional incubate 5 was a play that abruptly changed the flow of the match in at least 2 games.

Round 1 2-0: Opponent was running R/G, got mana hosed then mana flooded. I got to see what synergized and what didn't. Got the frazzle cannon flipped both games, much amusement was had saying the name in overly serious hero voices.

Round 2 0-2: Against one of the strongest players in the building running U/G/B, I got mana flooded, took a single swamp out then starved next game. At this point I was running straight up B/W with no green since I had only drawn 4-5 green cards that synergized and it didn't seem worth the risk of running a 3rd color. He called me a dumbass (respectfully) and told me I would go alot harder with the green just due to vorinclex. Nice guy, good advice, A+ opponent, would lose to again.

Round 3 2-0: Strong player running R/G with a splash of black. I thought he played a strong pair of games, he disagreed, through a tantrum and dropped. Apparently this isn't uncommon for him in events with prizes. :sigh: He has been pleasant to play against in casual.

Round 4 1-0: Opponent played super cautiously with U/G, I bluffed behind vorinclex for like 5 turns until I flipped him and built a board to rival hers. Much joking and laughing. Match took the full time.

Round 5 0-2: Played the store owner in the final round. First round I starved for mana while he ran me over. Second match was probably my most even matchup. Just a few plays swinging the other way would have swung my way by the skin of my teeth instead of him winning by the skin of his teeth. Hell of a fun game, A+, would lose again.

I'd honestly love to build out this deck into a commander deck, but enh. The commander would likely be Atraxa and people get weird when she is the commander. Ah well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What's the magic 30 promo supposed to be?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The store I played at got 10 promos for 20+ people. Apparently the US printers had supply issues making the promos and the japanese printers making the sets were full speed ahead.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

ive played at a lot of stores in my years and i say you can tell a lot about a lgs based on its prize payout structure. the more winner-take-all it is, the less friendly the folks you play against are going to be.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Dungeon Ecology posted:

ive played at a lot of stores in my years and i say you can tell a lot about a lgs based on its prize payout structure. the more winner-take-all it is, the less friendly the folks you play against are going to be.

Yeah the store I went to has 8 events over the weekend and it would be nice if there was at least one with a flat prize structure.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ours usually does pack per win for drafts, but prereleases sealed have issues so much they just hand out 2 packs and a little sleeve filled with 3 random promos or a store voucher or something idk never got one. I'm almost always last one in so if there are ever limited quantities no way I'm getting one.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Taiwan hasn't even gotten their prerelease packs yet, they just opened up draft boxes.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

This was probably the most fun sealed deck I've ever had in a prerelease period. Worked unbelievably well for the amount of greed on display. Just outrageous.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I had contemplated doing someone similar with Omnath but I really didn't have multi colored cards to make him work

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My store had lots of Eternal Witness and Niv-Mizzet - absolutely no Chord (I think they got 3 and didn't know what to do with them, don't really want to make pre-releases to competitive).

My deck which was amazing:

Went 3-0 then drew with last opponent to split prize packs.

Match 1 - opponent was really late. I guess subway wasn't working, they hadn't finished their deck, we played one, I stomped and then they rebuilt I think. Played one of my two Progenitor Exarchs for X=3 after lots of one for one removal from my deck. I ran away with it.
Match 2 - lost game 1 to opponents black 7 drop - both players mill 10 then you get two creatures back. He got my etali - I immediately scooped. Games 2 and 3 I killed his mana dorks, he wasn't able to resolve it. He also had a Ghalta and Mavren I used the pacifism type card on. In game two I was able to use Scrappy Bruiser to bounce Etali to my hand 2 times and get his ETB 3 times. The other game I won my prowess, prowess guy did 15 damage alone I think.
Match 3 - my opponent was playing Mardu legendaries. He had Torbran & Rankle, Kroxa and Kunoros and Drana and Linvala. Game 1 was very grindy, but I won after playing Knight-Errant of Eos twice (drawing 3 cards total). I was then able to buff the Knight-Errant with Scrappy Bruiser and Voldaren Thrillseeker, then saccing it to do 16 damage in one turn. Game 2 got destroyed by Torbran & Rankle. I really got confused by that card a lot too, thought it increased damage of removal spells. Game 3 I was on play, I played my second land drop into removal held up. My opponent goes to discard. I am on 5 lands by time he gets two, not close. I felt bad becuase I did spend more time than needed figuring if I should attack my battle to get an anthem to win quicker or not (and make sure I couldn't lose).
Match 4 - split with my opponent so we each got 9 set boosters (if we played one would get 12 and one 6).

Was a lot of fun, might do another on Thursday with some other friends.

edit: I guess I cut off etali with this pic. But I had 7 rares - can't expect to do much better. Of 7 one was a foil card, one a MUC (Thalia which wasn't that great in my deck but I really needed two drops and she is a great blocker). Nahiri's warcalling was great on turn 4 to find a land. But the uncommons were maybe better than rares, Spellspear did a lot of damage, Tiller of Flesh (had 2) let my removal spells become 2-for-1's and Scrappy bruiser let me do great things with good ETBs.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 16, 2023

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Fritzler posted:

My store had lots of Eternal Witness and Niv-Mizzet - absolutely no Chord (I think they got 3 and didn't know what to do with them, don't really want to make pre-releases to competitive).

Mine is doing a raffle with literally everyone who came to a prerelease over the entire weekend.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I got one Chord and raffled it. I got both Nivs and Witnesses but only half as many combined as I got Prerelease kits. Kind of a bummer but I at least made sure no one went home empty handed

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
3-0 with the greatest jeskai deck I ever opened.

Promo Heliod. Rares were Elspeth PW, Chandra PW, 3WW incubate sweeper, the wanna be baneslayer and 5 color omnath

Also in my packs were Quintorious, Aurelia, and Ragavan which all were slam dunks in the deck. Best deck I ever ran and never dropped a game

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I got to live the Jagantha into Atraxa dream earlier :getin:

Also Ayara is loving disgusting since it turns out her flip side's reanimation doesn't have the 'exile if it would leave the battlefield' clause so if you have a sac outlet you can just keep recurring the same creature each turn

like idk

atraxa

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

God drat, that's a mean pile.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I ended up playing a WU deck after I pulled Jin-Gitaxias, which is literally the card I most wanted from this set. Went 1-1-2, although I managed to pop Jin off twice in one game, followed by throwing cards from the graveyard back into the library after I ran myself down to zero cards in deck while panicking that I'd screwed myself over.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Played 3 prereleases at CommandFest. First one was a seven round $5K sealed which was way to serious for me. Played primarily WG going for counters, but it didn’t usually work. Dropped at 2-3.

Second event I figured would go better when I pulled a promo Ayara. Her ability is absurd in limited, just flinging creatures at your opponent and gaining you a bunch of life. Went RB sacrifice with a white splash because I got NO removal (literally none) in either red or black. Ended up 1-2 after some close games.

Third event I pulled a promo Vorinclex, so I went full Jund. And this time Red gave me lots of damage spells, so I went full on for big dummies and kill spells. Ended up 2-1, felt much better about this deck than the others. Deck pic below. That two-mana battle that makes your opponent sacrifice a creature is no joke, it’s such a good tempo play.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Well...that's fine, I guess.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Elysiume posted:

Well...that's fine, I guess.

Score

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Went 3 and 1 with golgari ramp into stompy.

Got 4 of the giant land cycling creatures so I could pitch them to keep my curve going. Then pop in an Archpriest of Shadows to recur the big guys turn 5.

Backup is a fun mechanic and good for catching people off guard. Hardly anyone things to leave a blocker open if you've only got a 1/1 lifelinker on the field. Even got to Yargle and Multani in once or twice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Next time they should do cross-plane teamups

Thalia and The Wanderer

5/3

First Strike.
Your opponents can't do poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

precision posted:

Next time they should do cross-plane teamups

Thalia and The Wanderer

5/3

First Strike.
Your opponents can't do poo poo.

Triple Teamups including Teferi with that and you're onto something.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The Triple Threat
Legendary Planeswalker

Flash
[0]: Counter all non-permanent spells an opponent casts until the beginning of your next upkeep
[-1]: Exile target nonland permanent.
[-6]: win the game

[1]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

The Triple Threat
Legendary Planeswalker

Flash
[0]: Counter all non-permanent spells an opponent casts until the beginning of your next upkeep
[-1]: Exile target nonland permanent.
[-6]: win the game

[1]

That's actuality a really good design

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

Triple Teamups including Teferi with that and you're onto something.

Teferi, Teferi, and Teferi

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lukka and Tezzeret, Fuckups 1UBRG

Legendary Planeswalker - Lukka Tezzeret

+5: target opponent gains control of you during your next turn

+1: create a 4/4 Phyrexian Beast creature token, then you lose 5 life

-8: Each opponent creates a copy of Lukka and Tezzeret, Fuckups

{3}

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Silhouette posted:

{3}

Not sure why you're including Tezzeret alongside Lukka there. Tezzeret actually managed to play both opposing sides against each other, got what he wanted out of it, then bounced without having to deal with any consequences.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

That's actuality a really good design

My ichormoon gauntlet superfriends deck says hello

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Teferi, Teferi, and Teferi

Solid time travel plot for teferi imo

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Incoming tournament report for f2f Edmonton:

New tournament reports

Tournament report:

Deck list:

Creatures:

4x Ornithopter
2x Giver of Runes
4x Esper Sentinel
4x Stoneforge Mystic
4x Puresteel Paladin
1x Kor Outfitter
1x Invisible Stalker
1x Gingerbrute
(21)

Enchantments:

4x Sigarda's Aid
(4)

Instants:

2x Spell pierce
2x Surge of Salvation
(4)

Artifacts:

4x Colossus Hammer
1x Shadowspear
1x Nettlecyst
1x Kaldra Compleat
2x Springleaf Drum
(9)

Land:

4x Urza's saga
4x Plains
4x Flooded Strand
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Seachrome Coast
3x Inkmoth Nexus
2x Marsh Flats
1x Arid Mesa
(22)

(60)

Sideboard:

2x March of Otherworldly Light
2x Path to Exile
3x Sanctifier en-Vec
2x Spell pierce
1x surge of salvation
2x Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
1x Pithing Needle
1x Relic of Progenitus
1x Manriki-Gusari
(15)

R1 vs mono blue tempo
Win die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: I’m on the play with t1 aid, t2 stoneforge (x2) and two land. Stoneforge gets subtlety pitching svyelun so I put them on fish, second stoneforge gets counterspelled then my opponent intake and goes “blast zone, maindeck ratchet bomb, go” and I get beards to death by double 3/1 flyers. Never see a third land.

G2: I go t1 land springleaf t2 giver + sigardas aid + hammer on giver and get T2 petty theft into ratchet bomb + blast zone. Then I see 15/22 lands by skillfully never drawing a non-land card for the rest of the game.

R2 vs g tron
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: opponent mulls to 5 and presents jegantha so I clock them on tron. Opponent has a regrettable keep and construct beatdown is all I need

G2: opponent keeps 7 I mull to 6. this game is long and grindy opponent finds tron, has no payoff except 4 mana karn. I play a Lavinia and kill 2x 4 mana karns with constructs while trying to dig for a win. Eventually find nettlecyst and equip it to ornithopter after blocks declared for lethal.

R3 vs grixis creativity
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I mull to 5, opponent keeps 7 and has hard evidence. That crab makes a sacrificial block to save my opponent from dying and then opponent gets 3 archons, I have no interaction

G2: we both mull to 5. Opponent taps out right before my saga goes to 3 and I equip hammer o to inkmoth

G3: I mull to 5, opponent mulls to 6. T1 esper sentinel, t2 sanctifier, t3 stoneforge for nettlecyst with plains urzas saga keeping up spell pierce. Opponent makes a delightful misplay that costs him the game. Opponent goes for a thoughtseize, I cast surge of salvation and they follow it up with a brotherhoods end that kills their crab and does nothing else.

***3 hour break***

R4 vs scam
Lose die roll
Lose 0-2

G1: opponent has t1 ragavan and I mull to 6 but yet picked apart. Opponent also gets mad at me for shuffling his deck and asks if I could just cut it instead. I said no.

G2: I mull to 6 and get double grief’d. Mostly claw back but then get double hidegetsu consumes all. lol, lmao.

R5 vs amulet titan
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1: opponent gets two titans but I have stoneforge into kaldra compleat into paladin wirh 2 giver of runes. Attack with kaldra, then move equip over to something for defense, repeat until opponent dies.

G2: I March an amulet, March a dryad, and path another dryad. Opponent is stuck on lands (lmao on amulet) but I have no offense so I play the chip damage game with 2 inkmoth until my opponent forget to pay for a pact.

R6 vs 5c keruga
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I have a gas start of saga + thopter + drum + esper sentinel which gets handily wrecked by the t1 fury. Opponent plays a lot of fire/ice’s and a solitude but I’m eventually able to suit up an inkmoth and bang in for lethal in one

G2: I draw a couple cards off of esper sentinel, both constructs eat a force of vigor, and a hard cast fury pops off stoneforge and esper sentinel. I cast 2 hammer, shadowspear, and nettlecyst in one turn. Germ token gets a solitude and I gain some life. Untap, activate inkmoth, equip nettlecyst and shadowspear, gain 9 deal 9 infect. Opponent swing in and deals damage. Untap upkeep draw activate both inkmoth, cast paladin, cast gingerbrute. Spread the equipment out, make gingerbrute unblockable, present 3 lethal attackers.

R7 vs murktide
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: win around double removal spell with double hammer

G2: opponent hits with bird lawyers and sculpts forever and I cannot mount an offense

G3: I make a misplay in this game that costs me. Should have played paladin and equipped shadowspear onto construct and attacked then activated inkmoth after blockers were declared to bait out the removal spell then played hammer at instant speed. But I did not and my opponent dug to an ee to finish the game since I could not gain life. Bad play not rewarded

End notes:
- surge of salvation is good
- 3 hour breaks mid tournament are bad
- I should play better

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Was the break planned to be 3 hours? That seems crazy

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

putting this idea here because we're talking about teferi,

when they first spoiled the whole phyrexian multiverse invasion thing in ONE/MOM, i thought a really fun thing wizards could have done to weave story into the mechanics of the game is to do something like this:

the phyrexians slowly but surely compleat all but one last plane (maybe dominaria so we could have a final showdown at Jamuraa, Teferi's home), and teferi and the last remaining heroes/planeswalkers are fighting a losing battle. In a final ditch effort, teferi expends his planeswalker spark and his mortal body to teleport the remaining heroes/planeswalkers to random planes/times in an effort to get someone far enough back to stop Yawgmoth from creating the phyrexians in the first place.

this allows more room for wotc to revisit planes from the past with new characters, see future planes, and play out a sort of Chrono Trigger/FFVI version of getting the crew back together to defeat the final boss. Bonus points if by expending himself, Teferi becomes immortalized within the game in a sort of evergreen blue mechanic that has to do with bounce or time-based game effects.

anyway, hire me wizards.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

whydirt posted:

Was the break planned to be 3 hours? That seems crazy

It was, unplanned. There was no scheduled break, but the companion app + human error lead to the event getting deleted and then reconstructed in melee.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Eesh, that's miserable. What did you do for 3 hours? Just have to stick around waiting to see when they'd fix it? We're people able to wander away and get a proper break?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Eesh, that's miserable. What did you do for 3 hours? Just have to stick around waiting to see when they'd fix it? We're people able to wander away and get a proper break?

We got told to take a lunch break as it would take 30 minutes. Then we were told it would be 20 more minutes every 20 minutes until 3 hours went by.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Silhouette posted:

{3}

Lukka, Bound To Ruin Everything 1RG(R/G/Phi)
Legendary Planeswalker - Dumbass

When Lukka, Bound To Ruin Everything comes into play, destroy target artifact or enchantment you control.

[+1]: Target opponent makes an X/X Beast token where X is Lukka, Bound To Ruin Everything's loyalty.
[0]: Lukka, Bound to Ruin Everything does X damage to target creature, where X is equal to the loyalty counters on ~CARDNAME~.
[-8]: Gain control of all Beast creature tokens Target opponent controls. They gain haste until end of turn.

[4]

======
Ugh, that guy is the worst. -Elesh Norn

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 16, 2023

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is funny though because Lukka is a great card in my jund deck. Making 3/3s for 1 loyalty is pretty busted against mono black and mono red

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
lukka's not an altogether terrible card, but he is absolutely laughable compared to nissa, who's in the same set, with less restrictive color identity, and gains loyalty while creating bigger creatures

i went to a draft prerelease today and had a great time. MVP of the day was Imoti, Celebrant of Bounty, who pared well with the cycle of 6 mana value landcycling bruisers that nobody else in my pod was interested in. the multiverse legends really take this set from good to great, i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Lukka spitting out Beast tokens is neat, but he (and a lot of walkers) folds hard to Invoke Despair, and folding to Invoke Despair is a death sentence in this meta.

He might do better post-rotation